Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Whats wrong with Lawrence Central?

Guest DT

I watched a good portion of the LC-Center Grove game Friday night.  

From a purely physical standpoint, this is one of the bigger-stronger Center Grove teams I have yet to see.  The Trojans, especially across the offensive and defensive lines look even more stout than they have in the past.  They dominated the game from start to finish.  Id be willing to go along with Temptation and pick CG as the 6A champ despite the 2-4 record.

Lawrence Central, on the other hand, looked awful.  No physicality.  Heavy and sloppy across the lines.  Small and skinny at the skill positions.  This place was loaded with D1 talent just 5 years ago.  Are kids leaving LC to go to WC or LN?  

I was watching Bears Coach John Rodenberg on the sidelines in the second half.  Rodenberg, now 5-12 at LC, looked confused, bewildered and frustrated.  The big resume that he brought with him to Lawrence Township has been trampled on by MIC competition and this team looks light years away from being competitive in the conference.

You've got to wonder if the LC admin is regretting their decision to make such a big hiring splash given the poor ROI so far.

LC is 1-5 and closes with North Central, Ben Davis and Carmel, coming off the CG defeat.  The Bears had every chance to build up some wins against lesser competition early in the season but did not rise to the challenge.  With both Pike and LN improving and NC battling for a spot in the upper half of the conference, LC is firmly entrenched in the basement with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Lawrence Township just spent a load of cash rebranding the athletic programs, improving facilties, purchasing new threads, laying new turf, etc.  Rodenberg needs to find some answers before the heat starts coming down from the higher ups.

As an LC alum, I've never understood it.  Could be a premier job in Indianapolis.  Obviously splitting student pool between LC and LN hurts in comparison with Warren, Carmel, Ben Davis, North Central, Pike, but geez.  Should be better.  Only Jayson West has been able to win there.  I'm guessing LC letting him go to WC for additional free day care is looked back upon as a major blunder.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

As an LC alum, I've never understood it.  Could be a premier job in Indianapolis.  Obviously splitting student pool between LC and LN hurts in comparison with Warren, Carmel, Ben Davis, North Central, Pike, but geez.  Should be better.  Only Jayson West has been able to win there.  I'm guessing LC letting him go to WC for additional free day care is looked back upon as a major blunder.

With all due respect to Coach West, you could just about throw footballs out on the practice field and let the kids run around and play catch and the Warriors are still going to be a final 4 team just about every year.

I just didn't see the athletes on the field for LC on Friday against CG.  The Bears had huge difficulty executing simple plays and defensive coverages.  It almost looked like a week 1 scrimmage.  They were no threat against the CG defense.

20 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

LC has the athletes, as demonstrated by their runner up finish in 2010 and state championship in 2012 . . . both under Jayson West.

That was 8 to 10 years ago.

Maybe Coach West saw the pipeline drying up at the lower levels and anticipated a deep downturn coming.  

Edited by DT

54 minutes ago, DT said:

I watched a good portion of the LC-Center Grove game Friday night.  

From a purely physical standpoint, this is one of the bigger-stronger Center Grove teams I have yet to see.  The Trojans, especially across the offensive and defensive lines look even more stout than they have in the past.  They dominated the game from start to finish.  Id be willing to go along with Temptation and pick CG as the 6A champ despite the 2-4 record.

Lawrence Central, on the other hand, looked awful.  No physicality.  Heavy and sloppy across the lines.  Small and skinny at the skill positions.  This place was loaded with D1 talent just 5 years ago.  Are kids leaving LC to go to WC or LN?  

I was watching Bears Coach John Rodenberg on the sidelines in the second half.  Rodenberg, now 5-12 at LC, looked confused, bewildered and frustrated.  The big resume that he brought with him to Lawrence Township has been trampled on by MIC competition and this team looks light years away from being competitive in the conference.

You've got to wonder if the LC admin is regretting their decision to make such a big hiring splash given the poor ROI so far.

LC is 1-5 and closes with North Central, Ben Davis and Carmel, coming off the CG defeat.  The Bears had every chance to build up some wins against lesser competition early in the season but did not rise to the challenge.  With both Pike and LN improving and NC battling for a spot in the upper half of the conference, LC is firmly entrenched in the basement with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Lawrence Township just spent a load of cash rebranding the athletic programs, improving facilties, purchasing new threads, laying new turf, etc.  Rodenberg needs to find some answers before the heat starts coming down from the higher ups.

As long as it’s noted that I went on record licking CG first, 😂 ...

If combined, as most of the MIC school are, LC and LN would have enrollment of 4886, which would place them second in 6A.   As is, LN has an enrollement of 2596, and LC has an enrollment of 2290, which is #16 and #23 in 6A respectively.  Carmel is #1.  Ben Davis is #2.  Warren is #3. North Central is #5. Pike is #8. Center Grove is #17.  LN is #16. LC is #23!

Edited by CaptainHook

7 minutes ago, Temptation said:

As long as it’s noted that I went on record licking CG first, 😂 ...

1 minute ago, CaptainHook said:

If combined, as most of the MIC school are, LC and LN would have enrollment of 4886, which would place them second in 6A.   As is, LN has an enrollement of 2596, and LC has an enrollment of 2290, which is #16 and #23 in 6A respectively.  Carmel is #1.  Ben Davis is #2.  Warren is #3. North Central is #5. Pike is #8. Center Grove is #16.  LC is #23!

Using your logic, perhaps LC should have stayed in CI.  Maybe they just are not big enough to compete in The MIC.  

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Using your logic, perhaps LC should have stayed in CI.  Maybe they just are not big enough to compete in The MIC.  

It was a weird conference when I was there.  Bloomington, Terre Haute . . . a lot of travel.  MIC makes more sense . . . 

Edited by CaptainHook

8 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Coach Bill Peebles was doing well at Lawrence Central also, not to the level of success Coach Jayson West had  but Peebles was only there for 2 seasons. He tool them to 6-5 and 6-4 his only 2 seasons there, but that was coming off of 3 dreadful seasons of 3-7, 4-7, and 3-7 prior to his arrival. They were at least very competitive in the MIC under Peebles, right now they are not competitive. It is interesting how LC went 15-0 in 2012 under Coach West and after he left the following year they went 3-7 in 2013. Was that a Senior heavy team in 2012, were there transfers out after Coach West left? Honest question.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

It was a weird conference when I was there.  Bloomington, Terre Haute . . . a lot of travel.  MIC makes more sense . . . 

BTW CaptainHook, the youngster is looking very good. Very enjoyable to watch him play! I'm sure he makes you very proud, I hope he is getting some looks and wants to continue playing football at the next level. Best of luck to the Dragons and your boy!

• Like 1

As far as the topic is concerned, Lawrence Township in general is a mystery to me.  You still have high socioeconomics at LN as they still pull from the Geist area I believe and and everyone was in love with the Rodenberg hire when it happened.  Most gave him a pass in year 1 and while wins are not easy to come by in the MIC, one would have thought they would at least be competitive.  They were my "up and coming" team in the MIC, until the season started.  Then I thought their win over LN might propel them forward but that has ended with a thud thus far.

I often look to other sports in the same season if a football team is struggling.  Its not like football is losing athletes to soccer that often but every time I have driven up Post Road the welcome sign to Lawrence touts it as the "soccer capital."  Its not like they are tearing it up in other sports either.  Very mind boggling.

22 minutes ago, Temptation said:

As far as the topic is concerned, Lawrence Township in general is a mystery to me.  You still have high socioeconomics at LN as they still pull from the Geist area I believe and and everyone was in love with the Rodenberg hire when it happened.  Most gave him a pass in year 1 and while wins are not easy to come by in the MIC, one would have thought they would at least be competitive.  They were my "up and coming" team in the MIC, until the season started.  Then I thought their win over LN might propel them forward but that has ended with a thud thus far.

I often look to other sports in the same season if a football team is struggling.  Its not like football is losing athletes to soccer that often but every time I have driven up Post Road the welcome sign to Lawrence touts it as the "soccer capital."  Its not like they are tearing it up in other sports either.  Very mind boggling.

A lot of those Geist kids are going to private schools and/or making the drive to Hamilton Southeastern or Mt. Vernon.

Edited by Footballking16

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Coach Bill Peebles was doing well at Lawrence Central also, not to the level of success Coach Jayson West had  but Peebles was only there for 2 seasons. He tool them to 6-5 and 6-4 his only 2 seasons there, but that was coming off of 3 dreadful seasons of 3-7, 4-7, and 3-7 prior to his arrival. They were at least very competitive in the MIC under Peebles, right now they are not competitive. It is interesting how LC went 15-0 in 2012 under Coach West and after he left the following year they went 3-7 in 2013. Was that a Senior heavy team in 2012, were there transfers out after Coach West left? Honest question.

I do believe they graduated a large group of talented seniors that year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

A lot of those Geist kids are going to private schools and/or making the drive to Hamilton Southeastern or Mt. Vernon.

Why, in your opinion?

9 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Why, in your opinion?

Socioeconomic factors.

Truth be told, I grew up in Geist and went private k-12 and a lot of my friends went the same route (graduated high school 08). Today, I live on the Marion County side of Geist and more and more kids are going to HSE/Mt. Vernon for high school, especially Mt. Vernon, if they aren't already in private school. Mt. Vernon and HSE are both closer in distance to that area in Lawrence Township than Lawrence Central.

11 hours ago, DT said:

He won 2 State Titles early at Moe, but was 5-5, 4-6, and 4-7 by the time he resigned. Perhaps, the big resume was smoke and mirrors of a career heading int the wrong trajectory. 

39 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Socioeconomic factors.

Truth be told, I grew up in Geist and went private k-12 and a lot of my friends went the same route (graduated high school 08). Today, I live on the Marion County side of Geist and more and more kids are going to HSE/Mt. Vernon for high school, especially Mt. Vernon, if they aren't already in private school. Mt. Vernon and HSE are both closer in distance to that area in Lawrence Township than Lawrence Central.

You went to Cathedral, correct?

12 minutes ago, DT said:

It appears as if LC enrollment is declining

While LN is growing.  

And I think it has to do with some of the reasons I stated above. There is a faction of Lawrence Township (Geist) where socioeconomic demographics are more aligned with schools like HSE and Mt. Vernon who are also closer in proximity than the drive out to Lawrence Central, along with a good percentage of kids who go the private school route (Cathedral/Chatard). Up until a few years ago Lawrence Township had districts and the Geist portion of Marion County fed into Lawrence Central. A good amount of those kids are still going to private schools, especially high school, while some are now starting to migrate towards HSE and Mt. Vernon. 

I also have a strong suspicion that Warren Central is still pulling some "athletes" that technically live on the southend of Lawrence Township. 

• Like 1