• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A: Carmel (10-3) vs Center Grove (8-5)

6A: Carmel (10-3) vs Center Grove (8-5)  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Carmel
    • Center Grove

I think this game somewhat signifies a passing of the torch in Indiana big school football.

For the past 30 years, football insiders and outsiders have considered Ben Davis-Warren Central to be the bellweathers of high school football in our state.

That torch has now been passed on to Carmel-Center Grove.   

This is a significant development as it indicates that coaching, system and program development have trumped raw talent in terms of program success and excellence

CG 21-14.

3 minutes ago, DT said:

I think this game somewhat signifies a passing of the torch in Indiana big school football.

For the past 30 years, football insiders and outsiders have considered Ben Davis-Warren Central to be the bellweathers of high school football in our state.

This is a significant development as it indicates that coaching, system and program development have trumped raw talent in terms of program success and excellence

CG 21-14.

The torch has been passed?! 😂 I think it's more that the Big 4 of the MIC are so competitive year-in and year-out, that there's no true dominant program in 6A. 

In the last 6 years of 6A: 

Ben Davis: 2 Championships (Lost in Semistate this year) 

Warren Central: 2 Championships (Lost in Regionals this year) 

Center Grove: 1 Championship (Opportunity for #2)

Carmel: 1 Championship (Opportunity for #2) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

The torch has been passed?! 😂 I think it's more that the Big 4 of the MIC are so competitive year-in and year-out, that there's no true dominant program in 6A. 

In the last 6 years of 6A: 

Ben Davis: 2 Championships (Lost in Semistate this year) 

Warren Central: 2 Championships (Lost in Regionals this year) 

Center Grove: 1 Championship (Opportunity for #2)

Carmel: 1 Championship (Opportunity for #2) 

If I were a D1 recruiter, I would focus more of my attention on CG-CAR than BD-WC.  

CG-CAR players are more ready to contribute at the next level due to the attributes I described earlier.

15 minutes ago, DT said:

If I were a D1 recruiter, I would focus more of my attention on CG-CAR than BD-WC.  

CG-CAR players are more ready to contribute at the next level due to the attributes I described earlier.

David Bell disagrees...

Receptions/Game G Rec. Yards TD Long Rec./Game Avg./C Avg./G
David Bell, Purdue 11 77 899 6 54 7.0 11.7 81.7
Whop Philyor, Indiana 10 61 863 3 56 6.1 14.1 86.3
Tyler Johnson, Minnesota 11 66 1025 10 73 6.0 15.5 93.2
Cody White, Michigan State 11 54 741 5 49 4.9 13.7 67.4
Brycen Hopkins, Purdue 11 53 688 5 38 4.8 13.0 62.5
Rashod Bateman, Minnesota 11 51 1023 10 66 4.6 20.1 93.0
KJ Hamler, Penn State 11 49 836 8 58 4.5 17.1 76.0
Wan'Dale Robinson, Nebraska 9 40 453 2 49 4.4 11.3 50.3
Riley Lees, Northwestern 11 46 383 1 40 4.2 8.3 34.8
JD Spielman, Nebraska 11 46 864 4 65 4.2 18.8 78.5

On 11/23/2019 at 8:10 AM, cg_holmeaid said:

Ok, my actual reason why...

The CG defense is really starting to dominate up front with Caden Curry and Austin Booker. The offense can really move the ball now, and they have a three-headed monster in the backfield with Steele, Wheat, and Weems. In the first game, turnovers and little mistakes killed CG, but I believe that that won’t be the case this time. Should be one heck of a game as usual!

28-24 CG

Don't forget Owen Green.  Another Sophomore that had himself a heck of a game Friday night, two huge sacks and the last one I believe sealed the win.  Sad Booker and Curry get all the attention on a very talented defensive line.

24 minutes ago, DT said:

CG 21-14.

This comment shows just how much of a forum troll you are...

Earlier in the year you posted a thread about “Where’s the talent?”  Included in that thread was Center Grove.  Now you’re saying the torch has been passed and that CG and Carmel are the cream of the crop in terms of talent.  Are we forgetting that BOTH BD and WC are coming off history making teams?  They’re both one of the greatest teams of all-time, and they’re certainly 1-2 of the 2010’s decade.  6A titles currently: WC 2, BD 2, CG 1, Carmel 1.  Both BD and WC will be a force next year.  

CG will continue to win their sectional because it’s the CG invitational.  Carmel next year will be challenged with some key losses.  I hope we continue to roll but I’d be surprised to see them win the sectional next year.

Funny how one year can pass a torch.  Earlier in the year the MIC was in its demise, now the torch is being passed.  These two also played in the title game in 08 if you don’t remember?  I’d say BD and WC turned out just fine.

There are so many athletes walking those hallways daily and with their resources, they’re not going anywhere any time soon.

41 minutes ago, DT said:

Always exceptions and outlyers

Another "outlier"...(You know its bad when I am defending the MIC...)

Romier Elliott...

Offensive Statistics
Elliott, Romeir - Offensive Statistics
Date Opponent Rushing Receiving
ATT YDS TD Long REC YDS TD Long
  Totals 81 476 3 74 13 48 1

8/29/2019 at Southeast Missouri 9 39 1 9 1 8 0 8
9/7/2019 at Massachusetts 7 57 0 17 4 23 1 17
9/21/2019 at Arkansas State 11 53 0 13 0 0 0 0
10/5/2019 at South Dakota State 11 71 0 13 2 6 0 8
10/12/2019 Illinois State 9 109 1 74 5 7 0 10
10/19/2019 Youngstown State 7 17 1 12 0 0 0 0
10/26/2019 at South Dakota 9 29 0 9 0 0 0 0
11/2/2019 at Indiana State 7 28 0 11 0 0 0 0
11/9/2019 Missouri State 11 73 0 43 1 4 0 4

2 minutes ago, bigfish said:

Sorry if I've missed this, but can someone fill me in on the Carson Steele situation?

I know he missed an extended period of time..... will he be playing Saturday? Has he played in the last few weeks?

Yep, he'll be playing Saturday. 

He had 21 carries against Warren in Regionals and 20 carries vs Ben Davis in Semistate. Those were his first two games of the season. 

40 minutes ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

Don't forget Owen Green.  Another Sophomore that had himself a heck of a game Friday night, two huge sacks and the last one I believe sealed the win.  Sad Booker and Curry get all the attention on a very talented defensive line.

Good call, him and Gage Gosnell switch every certain amount of plays. But yes, Owen Green is another monster on that D-line that can wreck havoc. Can’t wait to see how he develops over the rest of his career

2 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Yea...real dull.  More kids will go on to play at the next level from the class than any other.  Lots of athletes on that field.  CG is full of sophs and juniors playing in the final....and at key positions.  Sorry you don't find that intriguing.  

Next year it will be better for many....the IHSAA got Carmel out of the north and put them in a tough sectional.  Guarantees no MIC final.  Mixed emotions about that one.  Tougher path to finals for Carmel....but I guess time will tell if its really the best 2 teams in 6A playing for the championship.

I think Carmel struggles to get out of sectionals next year...but who knows, when you have 5300 kids it truly is "reload" not "rebuild"

14 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I think that will continue to balance itself out. Owen is really coming along and has a bright, bright future.

CG has been stacked with Dlineman over the years....Mack, Paxson, Cox, Miller, Hale, Krebs, Swann, Tidd, Ferguson, etc....many that have had success at the next level.  This group of DLineman may be as or more talented as any of them and still have plenty of high school games in front of them.

Great callout.

Which assistant is responsible for Dlinemen on CG staff?

39 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Yea...real dull.  More kids will go on to play at the next level from the class than any other.  Lots of athletes on that field.  CG is full of sophs and juniors playing in the final....and at key positions.  Sorry you don't find that intriguing.  

Next year it will be better for many....the IHSAA got Carmel out of the north and put them in a tough sectional.  Guarantees no MIC final.  Mixed emotions about that one.  Tougher path to finals for Carmel....but I guess time will tell if its really the best 2 teams in 6A playing for the championship.

No it won't.  We've seen how this ends...

See 2003, 2011, 2012 and 2017.

14 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Guessing it would be better for many not to have central Indiana teams in the finals.  If you can't get to the finals, then there is certainly no chance.

I think the best should play regardless....work to get better or stop complaining.  But the IHSAA must have wanted the MIC and most of the HCC to cancel itself out prior to getting to Lucas Oil.  So some people will certainly be happier that they got to the show.

The IHSAA didn’t “want” anything.  It’s simple geography.

12 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

3 GREAT and well deserving teams will be on the field Saturday evening.

Best wishes to all!

Three huh?  The officials?

An interesting sub-plot to the game is how well does Quigley play QB for Carmel on Saturday? Carmel had found a formula with Williams at QB, just wearing down defenses with their 3-headed rushing attack and being able to hit well on the intermediate pass game. Quigley has started quite a few games throughout his career, so he definitely has talent and the experience to get the job done for the Greyhounds. 

Maybe Williams does play Sat night, but he did not play on Friday night against Merrillville. 

3 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Is HSE north of Carmel High?  Might want to check out Google maps.....may not be so simple.

I did see where Williams was out friday night....but as you say, both are very good.  Sometimes it makes it tougher when a team has to prepare for both and the differences they bring.

You’re reaching here and moving the goal posts...HSE is in the HCC right?

48 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

You said "simple geography".  HSE is not north of Carmel.  What does conferences have to do with the changed alignment?

You insinuated an IHSAA bias against the HCC/MIC, not me.  And yes, Carmel is north of HSE.

Man, you're bad at this...

Edited by Guest