• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A: Carmel (10-3) vs Center Grove (8-5)

6A: Carmel (10-3) vs Center Grove (8-5)  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Carmel
    • Center Grove

Just now, TrojanDad said:

You stated it was a case of "simple geography" as to why Carmel was moved out of the north into the south.  Yet, HSE is south of Carmel.

If a case of simple geography, why did a high school south of another go north, and vice versa?  Based on your logic, Carmel should have stayed north and HSE should have moved into the south bracket.  

Yet the very opposite happened.  So that seems to throw your "simple geography" theory right out the window.

Who is bad at this????  But I know, I know....you are typically right about everything..........😉

image.png.8cb1fe0f1490c3d0de00536101d0697c.png

Good catch.  Perhaps even though it is "south", HSE has a shorter travel distance to all three potential regional (sectional 3) opponents and a father one (than Carmel) to every team in sectional 5?  Makes sense to me.

Not a big believer in conspiracy theories...

21 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Wrong

1 minute ago, TrojanDad said:

you kind of lost me.....Fort Wayne schools are closer to HSE than schools on the west side of Indy??

I do think the IHSAA considers competitive balance.  Go to John Harrell's football site...pull of the archives and see how many times over the past 10 or so years Carmel has represented the north in the state championship.  (eliminating the couple of years they were moved south)  I am not alleging a conspiracy....but I think its more than simple geography.  

Bottom line, the south will be a gauntlet to play through in the playoffs.

HSE is closer to EVERY school in sectional 3 than Carmel is.

Carmel is closer to EVERY school in sectional 5 than HSE is.

6 minutes ago, javaswat01 said:

these same rehashed arguments, which are already taking place in multiple other threads, are so lame and boring so I'm going to post this because it's even slightly game related

If CG wins does Carmel have to give the kettle back?

40 minutes ago, javaswat01 said:

these same rehashed arguments, which are already taking place in multiple other threads, are so lame and boring so I'm going to post this because it's even slightly game related

Thank you for this! Glad to see there's a few people on here who want to talk game related stuff, not the relative geography of HSE and Carmel. 

As one of the few Carmel posters on the site, how much does Quigley playing change the dynamics of the Carmel O? 

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

HSE is closer to EVERY school in sectional 3 than Carmel is.

Carmel is closer to EVERY school in sectional 5 than HSE is.

The other factor is they have shown to keep county and district schools together. HSE and Fishers weren't likely to be split so unless you could move both of them south you aren't moving either of them south. So Carmel likely goes south even if they were located further north of HSE or Fishers. North/South doesn't have to be a hard straight line.

1 hour ago, MICFan34 said:

Thank you for this! Glad to see there's a few people on here who want to talk game related stuff, not the relative geography of HSE and Carmel. 

As one of the few Carmel posters on the site, how much does Quigley playing change the dynamics of the Carmel O? 

That's the million dollar question. He was surprisingly sharp against Merrillville but in a notably different role than what we saw him in to start the season. He was able to use his legs (and of course the threat of the 3 running backs) to help open some high percentage throws to the flat/outside and challenge the safeties when they crowded the box.  Most importantly he took care of the ball, avoided silly mistakes, and kept them from getting behind the down/distance which is when that offense really struggles.

That said, Merrillville is most certainly not Center Grove. Some of the things that came relatively easy Friday (by virtue of Carmel's OL controlling the line of scrimmage) won't be such a given this weekend. If Williams is out again it certainly hurts their chances and the O is a little less dynamic as that's one less big play threat on the field . The OL and running game will have to carry even more of the load and make more than a few plays. If that doesn't work and Quigley is is forced to throw the ball 20+ times it's going to be a long night.

Edited by javaswat01
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, javaswat01 said:

I believe the guy holding the plaque is the Referee of the crew assigned to work the game - from The Region. Either that, or his doppelgänger.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Muda69 said:

With 50% of the 12 schools in the state finals being from the Indianapolis Metropolitan urban sprawl (Marion + the surrounding doughnut counties) perhaps it is time for the IHSAA to consider a separate tournament structure.   

Why? 

Maybe they should just give every school in the State of Indiana a trophy?

• Disdain 1

14 hours ago, Muda69 said:

With 50% of the 12 schools in the state finals being from the Indianapolis Metropolitan urban sprawl (Marion + the surrounding doughnut counties) perhaps it is time for the IHSAA to consider a separate tournament structure.   

🙄

25 percent of the state’s total population comes from those five counties...

16 hours ago, javaswat01 said:

That's the million dollar question. He was surprisingly sharp against Merrillville but in a notably different role than what we saw him in to start the season. He was able to use his legs (and of course the threat of the 3 running backs) to help open some high percentage throws to the flat/outside and challenge the safeties when they crowded the box.  Most importantly he took care of the ball, avoided silly mistakes, and kept them from getting behind the down/distance which is when that offense really struggles.

That said, Merrillville is most certainly not Center Grove. Some of the things that came relatively easy Friday (by virtue of Carmel's OL controlling the line of scrimmage) won't be such a given this weekend. If Williams is out again it certainly hurts their chances and the O is a little less dynamic as that's one less big play threat on the field . The OL and running game will have to carry even more of the load and make more than a few plays. If that doesn't work and Quigley is is forced to throw the ball 20+ times it's going to be a long night.

Great points man. Didn't he start against Noblesville and Trinity this year before injuries sidelined him? 

I remember Quigley starting a few games in the tournament his sophomore year, or am I wrong on that? 

But agreed, if they can't run the ball, it's going to be a long night forsure. That's what CG did to BD last Friday, making Gipson throw 42 times (albeit a lot of those were quick screens and quick game throws.) Believe #10 Hassel (IMO is one of the best backs in the state) had less than 10 carries. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Exactly. They are like a separate city-state.  Not too dissimilar to Chicago and it's surrounding environs.  

Absolutely not.  At some point you have to draw the line.  If Indy has their own tournament, then when the region starts to dominate, they’d need their own tournament.  Then Ft Wayne.  No.  That would open up a major can of worms.

6 classes is too much in football as it is, why over saturate the tournament to even more classes? 

1 hour ago, MICFan34 said:

Great points man. Didn't he start against Noblesville and Trinity this year before injuries sidelined him? 

I remember Quigley starting a few games in the tournament his sophomore year, or am I wrong on that? 

But agreed, if they can't run the ball, it's going to be a long night forsure. That's what CG did to BD last Friday, making Gipson throw 42 times (albeit a lot of those were quick screens and quick game throws.) Believe #10 Hassel (IMO is one of the best backs in the state) had less than 10 carries. 

Yes he was the starter at the beginning of the season before getting hurt a few weeks in. The backup was a sophomore but the offense continued to struggle and they went to Williams in the second half against North Central.

Carmel absolutely can not afford to abandon their run game, even if they find themselves down a couple of scores. They've shown they can strike through the air but it's predicated on establishing the run in order to open up high percentage throws to the sidelines and down the seam. It's not potent enough to regularly move the ball up and down the field, especially against a D like Center Grove. On top of that they need to control the clock as much as possible to keep CG's backs off the field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Absolutely not.  At some point you have to draw the line.  If Indy has their own tournament, then when the region starts to dominate, they’d need their own tournament.  Then Ft Wayne.  No.  That would open up a major can of worms.

6 classes is too much in football as it is, why over saturate the tournament to even more classes? 

A debate for another thread/time (postseason) but I would argue that a 7th class is actually needed.

On 11/25/2019 at 9:08 AM, DT said:

CG-CAR players are more ready to contribute at the next level due to the attributes I described earlier.

You're really a piece of work. Go through Big Ten rosters and just count the number of BD and Warren players making contributions. That's just the Big Ten.