Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A: Eastbrook (12-2) vs Western Boone (13-1)

2A: Eastbrook (12-2) vs Western Boone (13-1)  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

• Eastbrook
    • Western Boone

Webo averaging almost 40 a game while only giving up almost 12.  They are 13-1 and 6-1 against schools larger than 2A.

Eastbrook is averaging 39 a game while giving up almost 14.  They are 12-2 and 2-2 against school larger than 2A.  

I think Webo has the best QB (and arguably the best player) in 2A in Spencer Wright.  I like our chances with 7 back there running the show.  I expect this to be a hard hitting, old school type of game.  Should be one of the better games of the State Finals weekend.

I know this is a rematch but I think viewing it as such obscures at least one pretty good story here.  

The fact that Western Boone has returned shouldn't really surprise anyone.  Certainly, nothing is guaranteed and they had to earn their way back.  And while they lost some good players from last season, they returned a good number of starters.

This is an entirely different Eastbrook team than what we saw last year in terms of key players returning.  The number of senior starters they lost from last season is crazy. 

They started the year dropping 2 tough non-conference games including a blowout at Delta.  But instead of quitting on the season, these players rallied around one another and committed to learning the roles they were being asked to play and executing those at a high level. 

Just as importantly, they continued to believe in themselves and have confidence in their teammates to win big games.  That was apparent to me on Friday against Andrean.  Andrean looked the part.  They were much bigger than Eastbrook on both lines and coming off a dominant win over a Lewis Cass team that everyone had penciled in the finals just a couple weeks ago.  Guess who didn't give a damn about any of that?  The Eastbrook players came out confident and believing they were the better team that night, then proved they were just that.

What could easily have been written off as a rebuilding year in this program has turned into one of it's best, with the potential to be THE best still there headed into Thanksgiving weekend.  

So while this is a rematch of the same two programs as last season, I think looking at it as such ignores all the best parts about Eastbrook getting back there.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, XStar said:

I know this is a rematch but I think viewing it as such obscures at least one pretty good story here.  

The fact that Western Boone has returned shouldn't really surprise anyone.  Certainly, nothing is guaranteed and they had to earn their way back.  And while they lost some good players from last season, they returned a good number of starters.

This is an entirely different Eastbrook team than what we saw last year in terms of key players returning.  The number of senior starters they lost from last season is crazy. 

They started the year dropping 2 tough non-conference games including a blowout at Delta.  But instead of quitting on the season, these players rallied around one another and committed to learning the roles they were being asked to play and executing those at a high level. 

Just as importantly, they continued to believe in themselves and have confidence in their teammates to win big games.  That was apparent to me on Friday against Andrean.  Andrean looked the part.  They were much bigger than Eastbrook on both lines and coming off a dominant win over a Lewis Cass team that everyone had penciled in the finals just a couple weeks ago.  Guess who didn't give a damn about any of that?  The Eastbrook players came out confident and believing they were the better team that night, then proved they were just that.

What could easily have been written off as a rebuilding year in this program has turned into one of it's best, with the potential to be THE best still there headed into Thanksgiving weekend.  

So while this is a rematch of the same two programs as last season, I think looking at it as such ignores all the best parts about Eastbrook getting back there.  

That's fair... I think Webo getting back there did surprise a lot of people... The top 8 receivers from last year?  Gone.  The Starting RB?  Gone.  Replaced 2/5 on the O-Line and the wings (Kernodle, Hendrix).  So Offensive Starters Returning... Wright, Max Johnson, Casey Foster, Jake Jones.  That is it.

Defensive Starters Back.. Caleb Freeman, Connor Hole, Bret Wethington, Cortez Stoudemire, Luke Marsh, Josh Benson.  Shally, Deetz, Devin Weakley, Peyton Young, McAtee all gone.

Replaced about 1/2 of the starting D and 7/11 on Offense (including all of their skill kids except 7).

That isn't to take anything away from Eastbrook.  They battled back and got there.  I think this should be a fantastic game.  Lots of old school smash mouth football.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1st_and_10 said:

That's fair... I think Webo getting back there did surprise a lot of people... The top 8 receivers from last year?  Gone.  The Starting RB?  Gone.  Replaced 2/5 on the O-Line and the wings (Kernodle, Hendrix).  So Offensive Starters Returning... Wright, Max Johnson, Casey Foster, Jake Jones.  That is it.

Defensive Starters Back.. Caleb Freeman, Connor Hole, Bret Wethington, Cortez Stoudemire, Luke Marsh, Josh Benson.  Shally, Deetz, Devin Weakley, Peyton Young, McAtee all gone.

Replaced about 1/2 of the starting D and 7/11 on Offense (including all of their skill kids except 7).

That isn't to take anything away from Eastbrook.  They battled back and got there.  I think this should be a fantastic game.  Lots of old school smash mouth football.

Don't forget the 2 new guys doing Game film. LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

That's more than I thought.  How many of those spots were filled with new starters as opposed to a player who was a starter on the other side of the ball only last year and is going both ways now?

3 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Eastbrook returned 2 on defense and on offense they returned the   Qb -16  wideout-26 and one O-Linemen.  I saw Friday’s game I don’t think I have seen a def in 2A or even 3A put on a performance like they did.   Reminds me of the old Jimtown team in the 90s hard nosed open field tackling speedy lil suckers.  I talked to a few Eastbrook parents while there.   I lift saying if they man handled Andrean like this? I think I’m watching the next 2A state champs.   I know webo thinks there QB is gonna just throw all over them.   Well so did that Andrean stud!  Unless something crazy happens I look for a really great defense performance again.  No dog in this Eastbrook 34-10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Old coach with love said:

Eastbrook returned 2 on defense and on offense they returned the   Qb -16  wideout-26 and one O-Linemen.  I saw Friday’s game I don’t think I have seen a def in 2A or even 3A put on a performance like they did.   Reminds me of the old Jimtown team in the 90s hard nosed open field tackling speedy lil suckers.  I talked to a few Eastbrook parents while there.   I lift saying if they man handled Andrean like this? I think I’m watching the next 2A state champs.   I know webo thinks there QB is gonna just throw all over them.   Well so did that Andrean stud!  Unless something crazy happens I look for a really great defense performance again.  No dog in this Eastbrook 34-10

Well 16 never started at QB for them last year so if your other counts are right then that's only 2 returning starters on each side of the ball.  

19 minutes ago, Old coach with love said:

😂😂😂 yeah ok dude you must be mistaken. Spencer Wright went 25/35 330 yards and 4 TD’s with 1 pick last year on Eastbrook. On top of that he ran for 84 yards. That was the most passing yards by him in any game last season and 19 yards shy of his career high. 

This is going to be a hell of a game if not the best one this weekend. This won’t be a 34-10 game on either side FYI lol. Can’t wait to be there. 

1 hour ago, XStar said:

That's more than I thought.  How many of those spots were filled with new starters as opposed to a player who was a starter on the other side of the ball only last year and is going both ways now?

On Offense:  Depends who starts at wing and who starts in the backfield... In the backfield you have Wethngton, Taylor, Irion... Baird has started at wing, but Hole comes in... Marsh, Benson, Stoudemire also play wing.  Garrity starting on the outside, and Hysong/Christner as TE or Durbin at the other Wideout if they are in spread.  

On Defense: EY or Bowman at Safety, Trevor Weakley has started some at MLB, Hysong, Jake Jones, Irion, Foster, Halford, all have played D that didn't last year.  

2 hours ago, rondollison said:

😂😂😂 yeah ok dude you must be mistaken. Spencer Wright went 25/35 330 yards and 4 TD’s with 1 pick last year on Eastbrook. On top of that he ran for 84 yards. That was the most passing yards by him in any game last season and 19 yards shy of his career high. 

This is going to be a hell of a game if not the best one this weekend. This won’t be a 34-10 game on either side FYI lol. Can’t wait to be there. 

Let me get this right both teams lost lost 65-80% of there starters from last year and you still referring to stats from a year ago? Smh    I saw three of your games (one being western and #7 didn’t look the be the best that game!! and two of Eastbrook’s. Far as QBs the best I saw was the Tipton QB.   But keep referring to last years team and stats is never end well for one. Lots of theses commits I noticed refer to last season.   I stand by what I said 

5 minutes ago, Old coach with love said:

Let me get this right both teams lost lost 65-80% of there starters from last year and you still referring to stats from a year ago? Smh    I saw three of your games (one being western and #7 didn’t look the be the best that game!! and two of Eastbrook’s. Far as QBs the best I saw was the Tipton QB.   But keep referring to last years team and stats is never end well for one. Lots of theses commits I noticed refer to last season.   I stand by what I said 

You should probably use spell check before posting. In regards to the western game, he went 12/13 103 yards 2 TD’s and no picks as well as 45 yards rushing and two picks. I referenced last year because you totally discredited him as a player so I figured you needed a reminder. What other games did you watch then? Coach Nowlin already said what you needed to hear so not sure why you’re still trying to prove an invalid point. 

• Haha 1

WEBO young WR and DBs were the culprit vs Western from my film study as we got that game in exchange with Western week 3 prep.   Webo looked talented but young at some spots and of course excellent coaching of Pelley and his staff, those young guys matured throughout the year.   I believe Webo was up 28-7 in that game before a hectic 2nd half throwing barrage from Western.   

• Like 1

I’m not sure about “starters” but Webo has a lot of guys back that I thought were really good players last year. In particular #16 Wethington. Kid was an animal on both sides of the ball. I think this will be the best game of the weekend and that Wright makes a play with his arm late to get Webo back to back Titles. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Eastbrook win though. So well coached!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

WEBO young WR and DBs were the culprit vs Western from my film study as we got that game in exchange with Western week 3 prep.   Webo looked talented but young at some spots and of course excellent coaching of Pelley and his staff, those young guys matured throughout the year.   I believe Webo was up 28-7 in that game before a hectic 2nd half throwing barrage from Western.   

That analogy is spot on. Adjustments for the better have been made.

59 minutes ago, Fballfan15 said:

I’m not sure about “starters” but Webo has a lot of guys back that I thought were really good players last year. In particular #16 Wethington. Kid was an animal on both sides of the ball. I think this will be the best game of the weekend and that Wright makes a play with his arm late to get Webo back to back Titles. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Eastbrook win though. So well coached!

What amazes me most about this year is that we haven't relied on #16 at all this season. He is obviously a good player, but we've had other guys pick up for him. He has been injured a lot this season. #24 has absolutely changed the season. our underclassmen have contributed more than I would of ever thought. I hear all the grumbling about how we will struggle next season, but with our returners, I see us atleast getting out of our extremely weak sectional. I would of never guessed ( with what both teams lost to graduation) we would be seeing this rematch. Im excited as hell!!

Edited by Sargent Dangle
  • Like 2

Hole has absolutely become the playmaker on offense (already was on defense) that it seemed this team was waiting for someone to step forward to be that guy early in the year for Wright to throw to who could make something happen after the catch.  

On the Eastbrook side of things, sophomore Isaiah Dalton has been really impressive in the playoffs.  I think he had 3 interceptions in the sectional championship and he scored all the touchdowns (including 1 defensive) against Andrean.  The light has really come on for him.  He's going to be a terror the next 2 seasons.

Edited by XStar

10 hours ago, Sargent Dangle said:

That analogy is spot on. Adjustments for the better have been made.

What amazes me most about this year is that we haven't relied on #16 at all this season. He is obviously a good player, but we've had other guys pick up for him. He has been injured a lot this season. #24 has absolutely changed the season. our underclassmen have contributed more than I would of ever thought. I hear all the grumbling about how we will struggle next season, but with our returners, I see us atleast getting out of our extremely weak sectional. I would of never guessed ( with what both teams lost to graduation) we would be seeing this rematch. Im excited as hell!!

Weakley as a Freshman playing backer has been huge.  What Taylor has done has been impressive.  #16 is a great player no doubt, but others being forced to step up is why this team has improved so much from the Western game to now.  The OL & DL have been really good all year.  

This is going to be a great game.  

With each and every passing day and the more film I watch, I’m more inclined to think that the Panthers will be victorious this Saturday!  I just don’t think that the Stars will be able to keep up with Eastbrook’s team speed and tenacity through four quarters of play!  The Stars are a good team, I just think this Eastbrook team is built to outlast good teams!  Should be a great game, until Eastbrook starts to pull away late!  Good Luck Panthers!  Finish Strong!!

On 11/23/2019 at 10:58 AM, 1st_and_10 said:

The refs couldnt stop Webo’s passing game?  And the refs allowed Webo to score 34?

@Bobref how are officials determined?

I have no dog in this fight, but i will tell you that one call last year killed Eastbrook. Normally one call does not change a game, but it did here. I really believe after seeing film that Eastbrook wins this game by at least 10 points.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Midway Monster said:

I have no dog in this fight, but i will tell you that one call last year killed Eastbrook. Normally one call does not change a game, but it did here. I really believe after seeing film that Eastbrook wins this game by at least 10 points.

The “cult of victimhood” is apparently alive and well at Eastbrook.

• Like 3

With each and every passing day and the more film I watch, I’m more inclined to think that the Stars will be victorious this Saturday!  I just don’t think that the Panthers will be able to keep up with Western Boone's team speed and tenacity through four quarters of play!  The Panthers are a good team, I just think this Western Boone team is built to outlast good teams!  Should be a great game, until Western Boone starts to pull away late!  Good Luck Stars!  Finish Strong!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1