Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Coronavirus - a virus from eating bats, an accident or something sinister gone wrong?

swordfish

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Do you ever have anything of value to add to any discussion?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

I believe he was referring to another poster's insistence that that 3.5% that you quoted is media fabrication and hype.

15 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Checked my coach’s bag, problem solved. I have larger containers, I just refilled. 

I contemplated making my own. I got plenty of Zicam and Zinc.

Did you find a neck brace in there too?  The whiplash from the market movements are going to be enough to snap the head right from the shoulders.  😀

My financial advisor touched base with me yesterday and I'm meeting with him Thursday ... it's actually just a regular check-up, but the timing makes it seem sinister.  Based on all of our previous meetings, we'll probably talk money for 5 minutes and football for 55 minutes.  The only thing that would make it better is if we were doing it over a beer.

5 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

I was actually referring to SF's memeriffic stats.  Sorry for confusion

I stand corrected. 

Edit: Of interest is a comparison of the various strains given spread and mortality.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-compared-to-sars-swine-flu-mers-zika-2020-3

Edited by foxbat

37 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Did you find a neck brace in there too?  The whiplash from the market movements are going to be enough to snap the head right from the shoulders.  😀

My financial advisor touched base with me yesterday and I'm meeting with him Thursday ... it's actually just a regular check-up, but the timing makes it seem sinister.  Based on all of our previous meetings, we'll probably talk money for 5 minutes and football for 55 minutes.  The only thing that would make it better is if we were doing it over a beer.

I quit even looking at it. I'm not a trader, I'm an investor, in it for the long haul right?

18 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

The question remains, no confusion on my part. 

7 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I quit even looking at it. I'm not a trader, I'm an investor, in it for the long haul right?

Yep ... although retirement's a little closer.

Gotta admit though, in my younger day's when I used to day trade, there was an "addictive" level to it.  Nowadays, I'm addicted to watching my dividends reinvested.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

BO - Then post the correct stats please.......On BOTH the COVID and the H1N1.......

Point (in a meme) being made is that there were WAY more actual deaths and cases of "swine flu" in the US but under the firm steady hand of President Obama (Messiah) we had nothing to fear.....(according to the MSM)......If the numbers were incorrect, please post the corrected stats.......Easily found in something like Wikipedia or something like that......🙄

1 hour ago, swordfish said:

BO - Then post the correct stats please.......On BOTH the COVID and the H1N1.......

Point (in a meme) being made is that there were WAY more actual deaths and cases of "swine flu" in the US but under the firm steady hand of President Obama (Messiah) we had nothing to fear.....(according to the MSM)......If the numbers were incorrect, please post the corrected stats.......Easily found in something like Wikipedia or something like that......🙄

27 dead and 754 infected so far.

Your meme is about 10K high on H1N1

This one aint over yet so comparing them at this point is meaningless unless you trying to make a cheap political point.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

27 dead and 754 infected so far.  Thank You for the update.  

Your meme is about 10K high on H1N1  Thank You again for re-checking that number.  Since you thought it prudent to double check my meme, perhaps you should have posted the "estimates" from the WHO that sets the death number much higher due to the declared "end of the pandemic" ending the accurate counting of the swine flu patients.

This one aint over yet so comparing them at this point is meaningless unless you trying to make a cheap political point.  SF never said it was over.  But the MSM inspired panic is alarming, the quarantine occurrence. and I certainly don't remember the stores running out of toilet paper.....

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

53 minutes ago, swordfish said:

804 now.

I never claimed you did say it was over.  I only claimed that it is a silly comparison because it is not over.

You can't twitter away a pandemic.  It appears MSM is reporting this straight forward.  Maybe it is our countries general lack of preparedness that has folks a lil spooked.  

• Like 1

Obama's former top economist says Congress should immediately send $1,000 to every American adult to stimulate coronavirus-stricken economy: https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/obama-economist-congress-send-check-money-adults-coronavirus-economy-stimulus-2020-3-1028981543

One of President Obama's former top economists says the federal government should send a $1,000 check to every adult right away - and make it a key element in a fiscal stimulus package to boost the coronavirus-stricken economy.

Jason Furman, the former chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers during the Obama administration, in a Wall Street Journal op-ed late last week called on Congress to pass a $350 billion legislative package that bolsters social safety-net programs and provides a financial cushion for people hardest hit by the coronavirus outbreak.

"We've reached a point where a stimulus package has very little downside and has potential upside," Furman told Business Insider. "It is absolutely unambiguously the right decision for Congress to make."

Economists and policymakers are increasing calls for the government to inject an adrenaline shot into a coronavirus-battered economy - with a particular eye towards granting relief to workers in the service industry. They're less likely to have paid sick leave, among other benefits.

Gary Cohn, the former director of Trump's National Economic Council, tweeted on Monday that the government should direct aid towards those workers as they "only get paid as they are able to find work."

"As events get canceled and people go out less, they will certainly struggle," Cohn wrote on Twitter.

When it comes to a possible stimulus bill, Furman said that the low cost of borrowing would make it cheap to finance such spending. And he believes the onus is on lawmakers to prevent the virus from posing a bigger economic threat than it already does.

"The risks are that we end up with in addition to a public health emergency, an economic emergency," he said. "Those two could compound each other and lead to a serious recession."

Furman's idea to send a one-time $1,000 check to every American adult - with $500 extra for each child they have - isn't unprecedented. As part of its $168 billion stimulus package in February 2008, the Bush administration sent $600 checks to individual tax filers, $1,200 for couples and an additional $300 a child for families.

Research, though, suggested mixed effects among the 130 million households who received a check in the mail that year. A 2009 paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research found most people used it to pay off debts or save up instead of increase their spending. But it still helped them make ends meet.

Why yes, just throw more "free money" at people to solve a problem.  And I'm sure it won't hurt Mr. Trump's reelection chances at all.

And I never did cash that check from Dubya back in 2008.  May still have it in a drawer somewhere....................

• Disdain 1

OHSAA is only allowing four tickets per player and two tickets per coach to the state basketball tournament. 

Ivy League cancelled their men's and women's tournaments.

Big West and MAC are not allowing general admission. 

Where is the IHSAA on this issue? Can they afford the financial hit of not allowing general admission to the regional, SS, or Finals?

What about the NCAA?

From what I've heard via the grapevine, Avon HS with their current situation has lost about half of their baseball season. 

Who will win out, public safety or the almighty dollar?

Purdue joins Ohio State, IU, dozens of others, ditches in-person classes: https://www.jconline.com/story/news/2020/03/10/coronavirus-purdue-not-ready-follow-ohio-states-lead-classes-still/5009324002/

Purdue University, where President Mitch Daniels last week told faculty to start preparing to deliver courses online in case the coronavirus situation escalated in Indiana, followed the lead of Ohio State and Indiana, fellow Big Ten universities, and will quit holding in-person classes after spring break.

In a letter to the campus Tuesday evening, Purdue President Mitch Daniels and Provost Jay Akridge said students will start taking their courses online starting March 23, the day after spring break. They said faculty and students “should be prepared to continue as long as in-person instruction seems inadvisable – potentially through the end of the semester.”

Daniels said that “the campus will remain open after spring break.”

Purdue’s 44,551 students on the West Lafayette campus leave for spring break after classes Friday.

Students in the residence halls will have the option of choosing whether to return to campus or not after spring break, Daniels said. All campus events involving outside visitors will be canceled from March 16 to May 2, he said.

All other normal campus operations, Daniels wrote, would continue and that the campus would remain open. 

I assume that 3/16-5/2 cancellation date includes athletic events?

And will currently enrolled students at these fine institutions who are being forced to now take the remainder of their course "online" received some sort of partial refund on their spring tuition?  After all isn't one of the promises of "online education" vs. "in-person education" is that the former is cheaper?

Edited by Muda69
  • Disdain 1

https://babylonbee.com/news/pence-cancels-general-election-to-stymie-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR1xWANqQoT_bkRXoFkP_G6nQKcjvklsP68XFPzNVXOWdWFDDzThTdQhtLw

WASHINGTON, D.C.—In real news that totally actually happened, President Trump has announced that in the interest of public safety, the 2020 presidential election has been canceled.

“It’s just too risky,” President Trump told the press while standing behind a sneeze guard. “We’ll get all these people gathered together at rallies or lined up to vote, and they’re all going to get sick. And Bernie and Biden -- they’re just so old. Sending them around crowds campaiging is basically trying to murder them. Anyway, it just seems pointless for a bunch of people to die when everyone knows I was going to win anyway.”

Trump has been a divisive figure in the past, but so far everyone has agreed with this move. The New York Times, which usually opposes absolutely everything Trump does, wrote an editorial in support of canceling the election. “It’s a smart, science-driven move,” the editorial said. “As important as democracy is, it’s just not worth dying over.”

Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders also seemed very relieved by the announcement, as they’re both very tired and worried about getting sick. Sanders was especially happy, telling the press, “You know, for a few moments there, it really seemed like I might win, and I didn’t know what was going to happen if people actually expected me to follow through on all that free stuff.” Sanders is now deciding in which of his three houses to self-quarantine.

🤣🤣

• Haha 1