Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA Champions Network and CG Football both charging for streaming

Guest DT

On 8/28/2020 at 10:43 PM, WWFan said:

Really? I mean I pay $10 for a family of 4 to watch. Im saving money. Not counting the fact im not buying food or anything at the game or gas to drive there. Dont know why you wouldn't do it if you were willing to go to the game.

My biggest issue is that I work every other Friday night, often until around 9 PM. I would catch the game as much as I could at work and then watch the rest if it still wasn't over. My other issue is that I paid a $5 monthly subscription fee to RTC for access to the Pioneer game. I then still didn't have any access and the PPV company wanted me to pay an additional $10.50. I normally watch by myself from home or work, because my wife and kids have limited interest, and I have for a few years now, all for free. I also live an hour South of Pioneer and I never make away games outside of Cass every other year, due to the majority of the away games being 2 hours drives and blowouts. I listened to the game on the radio instead, although a few away games won't even be broadcasted this year, probably due to a lack of social distancing.

What irks me is that I was able to watch the Winamac and Caston games for free. I understand that Pioneer brings in a lot of viewers and that it will help the athletic department, but from what I've been told, the PPV feed didn't even have sound for a large portion, if not all, of the game. Also the camera work is often shoddy at best, as anyone can attest to who has ever watched very many webcasts. It's great as a free or $5 or less product, but I'm not paying $10. 

32 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Again, feel free to express yourself. Just take it to the OOB.

The IHSAA Champions Network and some schools are charging for the livestream feeds due to fan restrictions. Three forum members have posted comments referencing the purpose of the fan restrictions. Should their comments be taken to the OOB as well or just comments questioning the validity of fan restrictions.

3 minutes ago, Howe said:

The IHSAA Champions Network and some schools are charging for the livestream feeds due to fan restrictions. Three forum members have posted comments referencing the purpose of the fan restrictions. Should their comments be taken to the OOB as well or just comments questioning the validity of fan restrictions.

You're really stretching it now. Take your conspiracy theories to the OOB forum. 

I was out of town last week and, for whatever reason, couldn’t sign onto the GID all last week until just yesterday.  I have stated previously, that I have no qualms with schools charging for video feeds....and I get why the IHSAA is doing it more often than in the past given their likely decrease in income.

That said, I was surprised that WHMB TV-40 charged $10.00 this past Friday night to watch their Game of the Week (Chatard/Roncalli) on line.  Just 2 weeks ago and in all years past, I have been able to watch their Game of the Week live online at no cost.  Not sure why the change of policy on their part but it does seem to be taking a bit of advantage.

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

I was out of town last week and, for whatever reason, couldn’t sign onto the GID all last week until just yesterday.  I have stated previously, that I have no qualms with schools charging for video feeds....and I get why the IHSAA is doing it more often than in the past given their likely decrease in income.

That said, I was surprised that WHMB TV-40 charged $10.00 this past Friday night to watch their Game of the Week (Chatard/Roncalli) on line.  Just 2 weeks ago and in all years past, I have been able to watch their Game of the Week live online at no cost.  Not sure why the change of policy on their part but it does seem to be taking a bit of advantage.

Might be a change in the arrangement with the home school. If the home school charges them to broadcast the game per view then there is going to be a cost to the viewer.

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Wonder if they should experiment with a "pay what you feel it is worth" model ... especially because it sounds like the quality isn't consistent across games, locales, announcers, etc.  Someone who pays $10.00 and doesn't like the experience due to dropouts, camera work, etc. may not tune in a second time; however, but if they get the option to pay what they think the experience is worth, they might pay $4 this game and might come back again and, if things are improves, they might pay more next time or pay the same $4 they paid before.  Yes, there will be cheapskates who pay nothing, but they probably weren't part of folks that were going to pay in a $10 model anyway.  Biggest issue would be do the schools incur costs in providing the feed that they have to at least break even?  If so, sponsorships or advertising costs could possibly handle that so that proceeds go to the school.

I think, if the schools were also smart, they might also employ some of their kids to make announcements throughout the games thanking folks for their support, talking about what the experience to play ... even in a limited fashion ... means to them, etc.  That might also open up some wallets for donations as well that might end up yielding more funds than operating under a $10+ model.

I am quite worried about high school radio stations and how all this fits within the mission of educating broadcast students. While no one has yet denied a station to my knowledge purely based on the pay-per-view "gate" option, it makes me wonder if it might happen in the future.

3 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

I am quite worried about high school radio stations and how all this fits within the mission of educating broadcast students. While no one has yet denied a station to my knowledge purely based on the pay-per-view "gate" option, it makes me wonder if it might happen in the future.

Im guessing you can count the number of high schools with their own radio station on one hand.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Im guessing you can count the number of high schools with their own radio station on one hand.

WHJE 91.3 FM Carmel Carmel H.S.
WDSO 88.3 FM Chesterton Chesterton H.S.
WJHS 91.5 FM Columbia City Columbia City H.S.
WPSR 90.7 FM Evansville Central H.S.
WCYT 91.1 FM Fort Wayne Homestead H.S.
WGVE 88.7 FM Gary Gary Area Career Center
WRGF 89.7 FM Greenfield Greenfield-Central H.S.
WVSH 91.9 FM Huntington Huntington North H.S.
WJEL 89.3 FM Indianapolis J. Everett Light Career Center
WBDG 90.9 FM Indianapolis Ben Davis H.S.
WEDM 91.1 FM Indianapolis Walker Career Center at Warren Central H.S.
WRFT 91.5 FM Indianapolis Franklin Central H.S.
WKPW 90.7 FM Knightstown New Castle Career Center
WJEF 91.9 FM Lafayette Jefferson H.S.
WNAS 88.1 FM New Albany New Albany H.S.
WEEM 91.7 FM Pendleton Pendleton Heights H.S.
WETL 91.7 FM South Bend James Whitcomb Riley H.S.
WJWS-LP 93.7 FM Jasper Jasper H.S.

11 minutes ago, foxbat said:

You're assuming DT has normal hands.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school_radio#List_of_radio_stations_in_the_United_States

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

The list provided are the ones from Wikipedia except without the ones that sold their licenses to non-high school entities, who are now defunct, who were duplicates, or who had their licenses cancelled.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

It is good message board form to cite your source of information, especially when you copy/paste most of it.

Slow day, huh?

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

21 hours ago, foxbat said:

Wonder if they should experiment with a "pay what you feel it is worth" model ... especially because it sounds like the quality isn't consistent across games, locales, announcers, etc.  Someone who pays $10.00 and doesn't like the experience due to dropouts, camera work, etc. may not tune in a second time; however, but if they get the option to pay what they think the experience is worth, they might pay $4 this game and might come back again and, if things are improves, they might pay more next time or pay the same $4 they paid before.  Yes, there will be cheapskates who pay nothing, but they probably weren't part of folks that were going to pay in a $10 model anyway.  Biggest issue would be do the schools incur costs in providing the feed that they have to at least break even?  If so, sponsorships or advertising costs could possibly handle that so that proceeds go to the school.

I think, if the schools were also smart, they might also employ some of their kids to make announcements throughout the games thanking folks for their support, talking about what the experience to play ... even in a limited fashion ... means to them, etc.  That might also open up some wallets for donations as well that might end up yielding more funds than operating under a $10+ model.

I even think that you could have local businesses use the stream for commercials.  The added income from advertising could help offset the cost and maybe make the stream be cheaper or free.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

I even think that you could have local businesses use the stream for commercials.  The added income from advertising could help offset the cost and maybe make the stream be cheaper or free.

RTC, the webcasting company that airs Pioneer games and other area schools, would always air commercials for local businesses during the webcast. I feel as if the $10 price tag is a knee jerk reaction that could be offset, at least by a few dollars, if schools did donation drives, advertisement runs, benefits, and etc to make up for lost fan revenue. If we are still facing this issue next season, I can see many schools becoming much more creative. Hopefully this PPV isn't something that sticks around permanently.

9 hours ago, DT said:

WBDG (Ben Davis)

WJEL (North Central)

WEDM (Warren Central)

WHJE (Carmel)

WRFT (Franklin Central)

WEEM (Pendleton Heights)

WGCR (Greenfield-Central)

WVSH (Huntington)
WCYT (Homestead)

WGVE (Gary)

WJWS-LP (Jasper)

WJHI (Jeffersonville)

WNAS (New Albany) (The granddaddy of them all...on the air since 1949)

WDSO (Chesterton)

WKPW (Knightstown)

WJHS (Columbia City)

WJEF (Lafayette Jeff)

WPSR (Evansville)

Several other high schools have web only radio stations. 

2 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

WBDG (Ben Davis)

WJEL (North Central)

WEDM (Warren Central)

WHJE (Carmel)

WRFT (Franklin Central)

WEEM (Pendleton Heights)

WVSH (Huntington)
WCYT (Homestead)

WGVE (Gary)

WJWS-LP (Jasper)

WJHI (Jeffersonville)

WDSO (Chesterton)

WKPW (Knightstown)

WJHS (Columbia City)

WJEF (Lafayette Jeff)

WPSR (Evansville)

WRGF is Greenfield-Central. I admit I had to look them up, but I was familiar with most of them. I'm not sure that we're all doing high school sports, but a lot of us are.

8 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

WBDG (Ben Davis)

WJEL (North Central)

WEDM (Warren Central)

WHJE (Carmel)

WRFT (Franklin Central)

WEEM (Pendleton Heights)

WVSH (Huntington)
WCYT (Homestead)

WGVE (Gary)

WJWS-LP (Jasper)

WJHI (Jeffersonville)

WDSO (Chesterton)

WKPW (Knightstown)

WJHS (Columbia City)

WJEF (Lafayette Jeff)

WPSR (Evansville)

18 radio stations / 420 high schools = 4% 

Not exactly what you would call broad distribution

40 minutes ago, DT said:

18 radio stations / 420 high schools = 4% 

Not exactly what you would call broad distribution

It's still fairly significant...especially in the Indy area where there are seven clustered here plus schools like Perry Meridian who produce audio only broadcasts and content.