Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Marian - Elkhart Game Cancelled

In Mishawaka, Marian High School, which had been teaching students entirely in person, switched Thursday to hybrid until at least Oct. 30, citing “an increase in the number of confirmed positive cases within the school community,” according to a letter that Principal Mark Kirzeder sent to parents, obtained by The Tribune.

Because it has players quarantined after contact tracing determined they had been exposed to people who have tested positive, Marian Thursday announced it had canceled its highly anticipated football game Friday against Elkhart. Both teams are undefeated.

It was unclear how many new cases Marian has seen. The private school is reporting its student and staff cases to the Indiana State Department of Health’s online schools COVID-19 dashboard, but the state updates it only on Mondays.

Kirzeder declined an interview request Thursday, referring The Tribune to the Catholic Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend. Diocese spokeswoman Jennifer Simerman said Superintendent Joseph Brettnacher declined to be interviewed unless he could receive questions in advance, a practice that violates Tribune policy.

3 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Too bad, was looking forward to this game. Hopefully Marian is able to stay healthy and make a run in the tournament. So who gets the NIC north crown? 

Sadly it sounds like they are... but the players have been "contact traced" out to quarantine.  Never before have we tested people with NO symptoms and quarantined completely healthy individuals just IN CASE.  But I digress... 

• Like 2

Feel real bad for the kids and community as this was probably the featured game of the year for the Michiana area. 

I know it's a loooong shot because I just cannot see anyway possible that NP beats both Penn and Elkhart to finish out their season but I'd just be curious how people would crown the north if the final standings were:

Marian: 4-0

New Prairie 4-1

Elkhart 3-1

Or would you consider NP the outright champs if the standings landed:

New Prairie 4-1

Marian 3-1

Elkhart 3-1

I give about a .01% chance that the above scenarios happen, but it is fun to discuss 

48 minutes ago, DT said:

Has Elkhart found a new opponent?

They were not able to find anyone. Saw on twitter they offered to host or travel to multiple places with no success.

Edited by Prospect

18 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Sadly it sounds like they are... but the players have been "contact traced" out to quarantine.  Never before have we tested people with NO symptoms and quarantined completely healthy individuals just IN CASE.  But I digress... 

A student in quarantine should, I repeat SHOULD get tested after they reach five days after their close contact.  Even if they don't have symptoms.  If they are positive and asymptomatic they have a 3 month window where they won't be considered a close contact.  So they won't have to quarantine again during that time.  They will still have to serve the rest of their 14 day quarantine from the original close contact but they won't have to serve one again.  I have mentioned this to kids in my class who are currently in quarantine and a couple have tested positive.  But when they return to school on Monday they now have a three month window where they won't be a close contact and hopefully they have the antibodies to fight future infections.

The reason for the quarantine is so if they are positive they won't pass the virus on to others who it may hurt.  This is science!  I don't understand that even though we are 8 months into this people are still in denial.

We have been in live school since August and we have had some bumps with illness and close contact but we are still pressing on.  This is for our kids and the just IN CASE will save people's lives.  Listen to the science not the social media nor the news...

11 hours ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

A student in quarantine should, I repeat SHOULD get tested after they reach five days after their close contact.  Even if they don't have symptoms.  If they are positive and asymptomatic they have a 3 month window where they won't be considered a close contact.  So they won't have to quarantine again during that time.  They will still have to serve the rest of their 14 day quarantine from the original close contact but they won't have to serve one again.  I have mentioned this to kids in my class who are currently in quarantine and a couple have tested positive.  But when they return to school on Monday they now have a three month window where they won't be a close contact and hopefully they have the antibodies to fight future infections.

The reason for the quarantine is so if they are positive they won't pass the virus on to others who it may hurt.  This is science!  I don't understand that even though we are 8 months into this people are still in denial.

We have been in live school since August and we have had some bumps with illness and close contact but we are still pressing on.  This is for our kids and the just IN CASE will save people's lives.  Listen to the science not the social media nor the news...

I thought I could let this go. But I opened the can of worms, so it's my fault. I just don't believe in science, right? There is no evidence supporting my viewpoints. 

There's no scientific basis for lowering isolation time to 7 days instead of 14.  That crazy French government must not believe in science either.  

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(20)30235-8/fulltext

The above is a commentary, so of course it's not peer-reviewed, but I do want to quote one part of it:

Transmission occurs almost exclusively during the first week, when high RNA concentration is detected. Concentration decreases over time, remaining detectable for up to 30 days after disease onset. (3, 4,5) Transmission after day 7 is rarely reported (except in severe cases or immunocompromised patients), and this finding is supported by a surrogate approach showing an absence of cultivable virus from clinical specimens after days 7–8. (6) The incubation period lasts between 2 days and 12 days, with a median of 5·2 days (95% CI 4·1–6·4). (4)  Virus is detected in few cases beyond day 10, and transmissions have been documented 2–3 days before symptom onset.

Feel free to read the science in those peer-reviewed studies cited in that paragraph.  There are plenty more out there stating basically if you don't get it within 7 days and you if you do have SARS-COV2 you won't transmit it to others after 7 days, absent a fever. 

I do agree that close contacts should be tested 5 days after exposure, because that is the mean & median incubation period.  You recommend it as a way to game the system... i.e. they won't get contact traced again.  That isn't based on science, that's based on guessing the outcome of throwing a loaded die. And don't worry, those students will have antibodies...based on science. 

I also got my flu shot this week.  Because based on statistical evidence, it's deadlier to me and every member of my household.  Yay, science! 

Just because my opinion is different than yours doesn't make it unintelligent or uninformed. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SportsParentalFigure said:

The saddest part of the whole situation is that Multiple healthy teams refused to play Elkhart! 

Do you think, under these unusual circumstances, that these teams had some sort of ethical obligation to be receptive to that kind of overture? Or do you think they were just 🐓?

Care to name names?

Edited by Bobref

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Do you think, under these unusual circumstances, that these teams had some sort of ethical obligation to be receptive to that kind of overture? Or do you think they were just 🐓?

Care to name names?

Great questions.

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

Care to name names?

I think all programs that are healthy should be trying to play games even on short notice! These kids deserve an opportunity to compete. Football is unique in when you are done playing you are done playing for life. It is not like basketball or tennis.  I can be understanding when there are large discrepancies in school size but some smaller schools have beaten a few big schools.

If you want names follow Elkhart's coaches on Twitter. They were aggressive about being willing to play anybody home or away.

2 minutes ago, SportsParentalFigure said:

I think all programs that are healthy should be trying to play games even on short notice! These kids deserve an opportunity to compete. Football is unique in when you are done playing you are done playing for life. It is not like basketball or tennis.  I can be understanding when there are large discrepancies in school size but some smaller schools have beaten a few big schools.

If you want names follow Elkhart's coaches on Twitter. They were aggressive about being willing to play anybody home or away.

So, in your very first post, you’re calling out “healthy” teams for being unwilling to play Elkhart, but you won’t name them. Do you know who they (supposedly) were? I don’t know who the Elkhart coaches are, and I don’t do Twitter. So, you’re willing to say these teams should have been willing to play, bit wouldn’t, but you aren’t willing to say who they were? I mean, it makes a difference, don’t you think? Were these 1A teams or 6A teams? Located nearby, or across the state? Or another state? Travel arrangements? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, in your very first post, you’re calling out “healthy” teams for being unwilling to play Elkhart, but you won’t name them. Do you know who they (supposedly) were? I don’t know who the Elkhart coaches are, and I don’t do Twitter. So, you’re willing to say these teams should have been willing to play, bit wouldn’t, but you aren’t willing to say who they were? I mean, it makes a difference, don’t you think? Were these 1A teams or 6A teams? Located nearby, or across the state? Or another state? Travel arrangements? 

Just checked through Twitter and it looks like the offered to play Davison MI. No details on why the game wasn't played (it's not because Davison is scared of Elkhart.)

33 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

So, if 6 players were in quarantine and the rest of the team was negative, they why could they have not played?  Unless it was who was in quarantine and not the #.

Starting quarterbackk and one of the their starting safties?  Two of the six I am hearing.  If true then probably because of who and not the number.  Should have tried picking up a couple more players instead of finding a new opponent.

Edited by LionKing

38 minutes ago, LionKing said:

Starting quarterbackk and one of the their starting safties?  Two of the six I am hearing.  If true then probably because of who and not the number.  Should have tried picking up a couple more players instead of finding a new opponent.

It should not matter WHO is out. Tons of small schools play kids up for varsity. I doubt Fairfield would skip a game because they had to play a few underclassmen against schools who are much larger. You take your licks and dish them out when you can. Fairfield went from losing 70-0 to Angola to beating them 29-17 two years later. South Bend teams have been accepting beatings for years despite their low team numbers. You should go out and do the best you can especially in these uncertain times. Marian was intimidated...which doesn't make sense to me since they beat Penn worse than Elkhart did. They had a shot at the title and didn't take it.

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, SportsParentalFigure said:

It should not matter WHO is out. Tons of small schools play kids up for varsity. I doubt Fairfield would skip a game because they had to play a few underclassmen against schools who are much larger. You take your licks and dish them out when you can. Fairfield went from losing 70-0 to Angola to beating them 29-17 two years later. South Bend teams have been accepting beatings for years despite their low team numbers. You should go out and do the best you can especially in these uncertain times. Marian was intimidated...which doesn't make sense to me since they beat Penn worse than Elkhart did. They had a shot at the title and didn't take it.

I don't know, maybe you could be rushing to judgment and they did what was in the best interest of everyone involved due to the late timeframe and fluidity of the situation.  If they played and a situation occurred where one or both of the teams were then sidelined going into the playoffs, that would have been a tragedy for all involved.  I highly doubt a team that just beat Penn was intimidated by Elkhart. It takes your school being in existence longer than 6 games to all of a sudden be the team everyone shudders at when they see them on their schedule. 

Edited by SBFootball1