Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2020

Irishman

48 minutes ago, BTF said:

Good stuff DT..........great goals for IU's program. 

Regarding the game coming up, the oddsmakers just happen to think IU has a pretty good football team this year. There are several on this forum who are claiming that this is all hyperbole among IU fans desperate for a good football team. The experts feel otherwise, giving the Hoosiers a 7pt advantage against Ole Miss.  And maybe the committee wasn't slighting IU at all bye giving them a shot at an SEC opponent. I think the real issue here is how Iowa State, in a league on par with the very far down Big Ten this  year, eclipses IU for an invite to a NY6 game with three losses on their record. IU's only loss came by 7pts to a playoff team. It doesn't make sense to me, nor does it make sense to sports radio guys across the country. This is a hot topic nationally. 

While your points and valid and do carry some eight, if IU being so “slighted” then why are they ONLY a 7 point favorite over a 4-5 Ole Miss team?

You can point to Pennix but as I previously stated, Ole Miss is probably a 6-7 win outfit in the Big Ten in 2020.  IU would likely be the 4-5 unit were the conferences reversed.

I hate defending the SEC and they usually get a bump in these types of situations but the “disrespect” card is getting old already and the game hasn’t even been played yet.

Edited by temptation

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Truth be told, both games are about equal in my view.  After losing to TN last year, Im glad we get another shot at the SEC.  And Id love to see IU kick Lane Kiffin's ass    LOL

It would be a good win for sure. I hope the oddsmakers are right! If not, I'll be in big trouble on this thread. 

Had I told Hoosier football fans back in October they would be playing on January 2nd, you’d be jumping for joy.

Now that you are, it’s still not good enough.

I ask again, name Indiana’s signature win this year.  Their claim to fame is a close loss to a playoff team.  They beat a Wisconsin team with nothing to play for in front an empty Camp Randall Stadium?

While I also do not want to defend the big 12 (Oklahoma at six in the final playoff rankings is a joke), Iowa State DID defeat both OU and Texas.

Edited by temptation

Iu can rush for 300 yards against the Miss defense if they want to.  And add 300 gards passing as well.  We have 3 solid running backs and a decent offensive line.  Lane Kiffin teams do not play defense.  One thing we have not seen from IU this year is the long 80 yard, 15 play drive that takes 8 minutes off the clock.  We can do that against this defense.  I also thuink Tuttle will make fewer mistakes and heve less turnovers than Pennix did.  He looks like Ramsey back there in terms of his steadiness and his control of the offense.  

Will be very interesting to see Pennix, McCulley and Tuttle battle it out .  Great problem for TA to have.  Long term, I really like McCully, but Tuttle also is very intriguing.  Is it over already for Pennix?

Edited by DT

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

While your points and valid and do carry some eight, if IU being so “slighted” then why are they ONLY a 7 point favorite over a 4-5 Ole Miss team?

You can point to Pennix but as I previously stated, Ole Miss is probably a 6-7 win outfit in the Big Ten in 2020.  IU would likely be the 4-5 unit were the conferences reversed.

I hate defending the SEC and they usually get a bump in these types of situations but the “disrespect” card is getting old already and the game hasn’t even been played yet.

I'm not doubting Ole Miss being a good football team. They don't exactly play in the Big Ten, The Big 12, or the Pac 12. I get that. I just think IU earned their way into a NY6 bowl game this year, but got screwed when it came down to it. As I said, it's big news, I'm not alone here. And it's more about ISU than it is Ole Miss. I'm agreeing more and more that Ole Miss is probably a pretty good football team, as stated by someone in an earlier post................DT or yourself, I don't remember. The disrespect card may be old for some, but it's not for most. Like I said, it's still being discussed by everyone from everywhere. 

1 minute ago, BTF said:

I'm not doubting Ole Miss being a good football team. They don't exactly play in the Big Ten, The Big 12, or the Pac 12. I get that. I just think IU earned their way into a NY6 bowl game this year, but got screwed when it came down to it. As I said, it's big news, I'm not alone here. And it's more about ISU than it is Ole Miss. I'm agreeing more and more that Ole Miss is probably a pretty good football team, as stated by someone in an earlier post................DT or yourself, I don't remember. The disrespect card may be old for some, but it's not for most. Like I said, it's still being discussed by everyone from everywhere. 

As a Michigan fan I can attest to the prestige card playing a huge factor here.  

Michigan frequently gets invites to bowl games that they are not deserving of just due to the name recognition, alumni who are willing to travel and history.

That being said, let’s not pretend that this game is suddenly beneath Indiana football.

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

The Outback Bowl is a Big Ten tradition.  Im proud to have my school there representing the Big Ten.  Go IU!!!

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Had I told Hoosier football fans back in October they would be playing on January 2nd, you’d be jumping for joy.

Now that you are, it’s still not good enough.

I ask again, name Indiana’s signature win this year.  Their claim to fame is a close loss to a playoff team.  They beat a Wisconsin team with nothing to play for in front an empty Camp Randall Stadium?

While I also do not want to defend the big 12 (Oklahoma at six in the final playoff rankings is a joke), Iowa State DID defeat both OU and Texas.

Lol, you can't take anything away from Wisconsin for playing in an empty stadium. IU beat them because they are better, plain and simple. 

Your right, all Hoosier fans would be jumping for joy had you told them that. Then they played the season and earned their spot. You clearly follow the sport well and your opinions are always noted, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why you think IU doesn't have a case here. 

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

Lol, you can't take anything away from Wisconsin for playing in an empty stadium. IU beat them because they are better, plain and simple. 

Your right, all Hoosier fans would be jumping for joy had you told them that. Then they played the season and earned their spot. You clearly follow the sport well and your opinions are always noted, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why you think IU doesn't have a case here. 

Yes, they were better than a sub .500 Wisconsin team.  I admitted so much.

We are on the same team here.  They DO have a case.  I am in full agreement, but it is not as egregious as many are painting it to be.

We will find out how much of a case they have once the game kicks off.  If it’s a struggle/one possession game, then it’d seem to me that they were right where they belonged.

Edited by temptation

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

Yes, they were better than a sub .500 Wisconsin team.  I admitted so much.

We are on the same team here.  They DO have a case.  I am in full agreement, but it is not as egregious as many are painting it to be.

We will find out how much of a case they have once the game kicks off.  If it’s a struggle/one possession game, then it’d seem to me that they were right where they belonged.

I agree. But for me it's more about the NY6, not about Ole Miss. I'm fine with Ole Miss. I'm not fine with Iowa State making it in over IU. The Big 12 stinks. I don't think a three loss team belongs there from that conference. 

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

I agree. But for me it's more about the NY6, not about Ole Miss. I'm fine with Ole Miss. I'm not fine with Iowa State making it in over IU. The Big 12 stinks. I don't think a three loss team belongs there from that conference. 

Tend to agree.  Still about who you’ve beaten.  They did play FOUR more games than IU, and FIVE games (Louisiana, OUx2, Texas, Okie State) against teams ranked in the final top 25 poll.

Not as egregious as you think.

28 minutes ago, temptation said:

Tend to agree.  Still about who you’ve beaten.  They did play FOUR more games than IU, and FIVE games (Louisiana, OUx2, Texas, Okie State) against teams ranked in the final top 25 poll.

Not as egregious as you think.

Reputationally, IU has n ot arrived, ISU has

Hence the NY6 choice.

Its that simple

Also, ISU has made several national TV appearances over the past few seasons.  IU has made ZERO.  That plays into the choice as well.

Plus, it will cost the IU athletic department much more to go to Arizona than Florida.  Lets keep the cash on hand and stay closer to home.  Florida is Big Ten Country South.  Ohio State is the only team that has a following in Phoenix

Edited by DT

IU is in a no win situation.  If they whip up on Ole Miss it's because Ole Miss isn't very good, and if IU loses to Ole Miss the "experts" will say "see we were right.

I'm hoping for a big IU win.  I think Tom Allen is the real deal.  

BTW, I saw IU play Wisconsin without Penix and then looked ok.  They aren't as potent without him but they should be good enough.

I hope everyone has many Christmas Blessings this Christmas Season!

On 12/21/2020 at 9:23 AM, southend said:

Back to topic, Indiana is playing a no win game here. Mississippi is a good team. They put up 21 on alabama and Arkansas. Theyput up 28 against auburn, 35 on Florida and 48 on LSU. All losses but still.  And any where from 40 to 60 points in their wins. 
A win by Indiana and everyone will say that they should have beat a team with a losing record. A loss , that could well happen ,and then IU drops out of the top 20 at least. 

Terrible call on IU’s part to accept ,a non top 6 bowl game.  

Still my take on the situation. 

On 12/23/2020 at 11:05 AM, DT said:

Reputationally, IU has n ot arrived, ISU has

Hence the NY6 choice.

Its that simple

Also, ISU has made several national TV appearances over the past few seasons.  IU has made ZERO.  That plays into the choice as well.

The reputation comes from Indiana’s own conference. Indiana deserved and earned the right to play for the Big championship. Only to have the ADs dismiss the Hoosiers as the step child of the conference. No wonder the National committee didn’t give them any respect, I don’t blame them, he’ll Iu’s own conference threw them under the bus. 

I’m still pissed off , don’t pretend Indiana didn’t get dissed for the conference championship game. Then when the National committee was trying to determine where Indiana should go for a bowl, they deferred to the Big Ten butt hole AD’s decision to replace little sister with Big Brother Ohio! How can National give them any count, if their own Conference AD’s don’t  .

12 hours ago, southend said:

I’m still pissed off , don’t pretend Indiana didn’t get dissed for the conference championship game. Then when the National committee was trying to determine where Indiana should go for a bowl, they deferred to the Big Ten butt hole AD’s decision to replace little sister with Big Brother Ohio! How can National give them any count, if their own Conference AD’s don’t  .

As has been said before, if OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin and even Iowa were in the same position IU was, any of those teams would have played in the conference championship with no 11th hour change of plans, AND those schools would have been in one of those NY6 games. 
I am not really big on looking for bulletin board material for a team, or things similar, but this is one case where an exception can be made for IU for next season. Carry that chip on your shoulder Hoosiers.

• Like 1

Fred Glass said it right, The good ol boy AD's in the big ten want no part of the Indiana's rise in football. They've feasted on all of Indianas highs school talent forever, and don't want it to change anytime soon. 

I'm kind of changing my mind about Glass, thought he screwed Wilson at the time but these comments have got me liking him a little more. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southend said:

Fred Glass said it right, The good ol boy AD's in the big ten want no part of the Indiana's rise in football. They've feasted on all of Indianas highs school talent forever, and don't want it to change anytime soon. 

I'm kind of changing my mind about Glass, thought he screwed Wilson at the time but these comments have got me liking him a little more. lol

🙄

Don’t get all warm & fuzzy about Glass. If you’re going to give him some credit for what IU football has done this season, then you have to assign him blame for the fact that they haven’t done in the first 10 years he was AD.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2020 at 9:07 PM, southend said:

Iu still needs to earn the repect of the BT before it can earn it nationally.  One year in a Covid impacted season is not a large enough body work.  We need to see more .  

32 minutes ago, DT said:

Iu still needs to earn the repect of the BT before it can earn it nationally.  One year in a Covid impacted season is not a large enough body work.  We need to see more .  

I think the larger point is that the other AD’s and conference leadership has intentionally had a negative impact on the IU program. It is unfortunate that it takes multiple seasons of evidence to get a level of respect that would have IU playing in a NY6 game. Each season should stand alone when it comes to bowl selection. IU earned a spot this season, and the conference leadership did not support them. 
I am not at all willing to give Glass a pass of any sort here either....if you sat in on meetings and saw firsthand that these things were happening to IU, grow a pair and speak out.....then. Doing so now does not exonerate him of any blame. 

• Like 1