Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2020

Irishman

Just now, DT said:

Not really.  Mississippi is the #29 team on the talent composite with 16 4 star players.  IU is #53 with five 4 star players.  UMISS might actually be the one that is insulted.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

I have never, in my 43 years on Earth, heard Ole Miss referred to as UMISS.

Heck....I've hardly heard them referred to as The University of Mississippi.

I know you are a tad older than I, DT.....honestly, have you?

48 minutes ago, DT said:

Not really.  Mississippi is the #29 team on the talent composite with 16 4 star players.  IU is #53 with five 4 star players.  UMISS might actually be the one that is insulted.

Yes because all bowl participants are selected based on their high school recruiting. How many points are you giving based on “UMISS”’s talent advantage?

Just a travesty all around. Shouldn’t be this upset because I knew three weeks ago this would happen when the committee didn’t move IU an inch after beating ranked Wisconsin on the road....with a backup QB, but this is wrong on so many levels. Shame on the CFB committee and even bigger shame on the B10. The B10’s idiotic decision to delay the start of the season was compounded even further by their even dumber decision to enact a 21 day sit period for all positive cases. The only logical reason why I can see IU getting the shaft on a NY6 bowl is due to the fact they only played 7 games. There’s absolutely ZERO reason why Georgia or Iowa State deserve to be ranked ahead of IU other than the fact they played more games than Indiana. Because God knows their resumes aren’t better.

IU will be more than motivated to play this game and I expect them to beat the living piss out of Ole Miss.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Why in the hell would Ole Miss be slighted? They’re 4-5 and don’t deserve to be in a bowl game to begin with. And since when is  the bowl selection process based on composite recruiting rankings??? Your fascination with high school rankings are well...fascinating. Games are played on the field and results do and SHOULD be the only thing that matters. If games were decided on recruiting rankings IU would have finished 1-6 this year, not 6-1.

38 minutes ago, DT said:

IU earned their way to the #7 ranking. They deserved to play a Top 15 opponent. Playing Ole Miss is an insult. Throw the talent stat out the window. 

3 hours ago, BTF said:

IU earned their way to the #7 ranking. They deserved to play a Top 15 opponent. Playing Ole Miss is an insult. Throw the talent stat out the window. 

The SEC was light years better than the Big Ten this season.  Not even close.

Im thrilled for the Hoosiers, but they feasted on a very weakened Big Ten this year.  Always good to grab the low hanging fruit.  

Remember what happened to Purdue against Auburn a few seasons ago.  Thats what would likley happen to the Hoosiers were they to play a highly ranked SEC team, or Oklahoma or USC.  Last year we lost a bowl game to a very mediocre Tennessee team.  Lets get a win over Mississippi and then prep for the next step in the climb.

3 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Why in the hell would Ole Miss be slighted? They’re 4-5 and don’t deserve to be in a bowl game to begin with. And since when is  the bowl selection process based on composite recruiting rankings??? Your fascination with high school rankings are well...fascinating. Games are played on the field and results do and SHOULD be the only thing that matters. If games were decided on recruiting rankings IU would have finished 1-6 this year, not 6-1.

Reputation and history play a big roll in the bowl selection process.  IU has neither  Thats why the committee relegated them to a secondary bowl.  Im sure the Ole Miss kids would rather play UNC, OU, USC or Oregon.  

4 hours ago, DE said:

I have never, in my 43 years on Earth, heard Ole Miss referred to as UMISS.

Heck....I've hardly heard them referred to as The University of Mississippi.

I know you are a tad older than I, DT.....honestly, have you?

Im ahead of the curve.  UM will be forced to drop the "Ole MIss" monicker within 5 years due to increasing social pressure

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Reputation and history play a big roll in the bowl selection process.  IU has neither  Thats why the committee relegated them to a secondary bowl.  Im sure the Ole Miss kids would rather play UNC, OU, USC or Oregon.  

How do they get up for Indiana?  Really?

5 hours ago, DT said:

Im ahead of the curve.  UM will be forced to drop the "Ole MIss" monicker within 5 years due to increasing social pressure

I wonder if a place like Washington & Lee, a fantastic small college in Lexington, VA, will have to change it’s name, to get out from under the fact that it’s named after 2 slaveholders. And for that matter, should we be  entertaining a new face for the $1 bill?

Edited by Bobref

36 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I wonder if a place like Washington & Lee, a fantastic small college in Lexington, VA, will have to change it’s name, to get out from under the fact that it’s named after 2 slaveholders. And for that matter, should we be  entertaining a new face for the $1 bill?

"Ole Miss" is the term black african slaves used to refer to the white wives of southern plantation owners during the slavery period.

The "Ole Miss" monicker is as deeply embedded in southern culture as the stars and bars flag.  This symbol wont go down without a fight.

https://thedmonline.com/opinion-we-need-to-stop-saying-ole-miss/

Edited by DT

5 hours ago, DT said:

Im sure the Ole Miss kids would rather play UNC, OU, USC or Oregon. 

And probably the reason why they’ll lose by 2-3 TD’s. Anyone else remember the beat down Minnesota gave Auburn in the same bowl game last year because their “kids would rather play UNC, OU, USC, or Oregon”?

13 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

And probably the reason why they’ll lose by 2-3 TD’s. Anyone else remember the beat down Minnesota gave Auburn in the same bowl game last year because their “kids would rather play UNC, OU, USC, or Oregon”?

Miss played 3 very close games against Bama, Florida and Auburn.  Theyt also played LSU and TAM   Brutal schedule.  They have very good overall talent and are more dangerous than last years TN team.  

How does a team that plays all those SEC titans get up for Indiana in a meaningless post season bowl game?

I like the matchup for IU.  It will be a good test to match up against a stronger program and a much faster team than what they see in the BT

7 hours ago, DT said:

The SEC was light years better than the Big Ten this season.  Not even close.

Im thrilled for the Hoosiers, but they feasted on a very weakened Big Ten this year.  Always good to grab the low hanging fruit.  

Remember what happened to Purdue against Auburn a few seasons ago.  Thats what would likley happen to the Hoosiers were they to play a highly ranked SEC team, or Oklahoma or USC.  Last year we lost a bowl game to a very mediocre Tennessee team.  Lets get a win over Mississippi and then prep for the next step in the climb.

The Big Ten was lousy this year, no question about it. Was Penn State that bad when IU played them or did their victory send them into a tailspin? What about Wisconsin? The Badgers are a pretty good football team in my opinion. IU managed to beat them even without Penix. And without Penix, I'm expecting a victory over Ole Miss. I think IU's defense is for real. How good is the SEC this year?...........I guess we'll find out in the bowl games.

Either way, IU was ranked #7 by the AP and #11 by the committee. They were more deserving of a NY6 game than Iowa State was. It surprises me that the committee didn't feel the same. They certainly deserved to play a ranked team with a winning record. 

The committee seems hell bent on pitting Power Conferences against one another in the bowls. I thought it was a disservice to put Coastal against Liberty. Give those teams a chance against a Power 5. Now we'll never know if those two teams are legit or not. 

18 minutes ago, BTF said:

The Big Ten was lousy this year, no question about it. Was Penn State that bad when IU played them or did their victory send them into a tailspin? What about Wisconsin? The Badgers are a pretty good football team in my opinion. IU managed to beat them even without Penix. And without Penix, I'm expecting a victory over Ole Miss. I think IU's defense is for real. How good is the SEC this year?...........I guess we'll find out in the bowl games.

Either way, IU was ranked #7 by the AP and #11 by the committee. They were more deserving of a NY6 game than Iowa State was. It surprises me that the committee didn't feel the same. They certainly deserved to play a ranked team with a winning record. 

The committee seems hell bent on pitting Power Conferences against one another in the bowls. I thought it was a disservice to put Coastal against Liberty. Give those teams a chance against a Power 5. Now we'll never know if those two teams are legit or not. 

If there's any team to have a gripe other than Indiana, it's Coastal Carolina and honestly they have a bigger axe to grind. Coastal went undefeated and beat Louisiana, the same team who handed Iowa State a 17 point home loss. Absolute travesty that Iowa State with 3 losses is in a NY6 bowl. There's literally ZERO justification for it. 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

I’ve never seen seven games of success go to a fanbase’s head so quickly.

The Hoosiers have beaten no one significance in terms of 2020.

They probably deserve better but, trust me, Ole Miss’s offense will put up their fair share of points.

Easily the second best offense IU has seen all year.  The O/U is sitting at 69.5, second highest of any bowl game.

21 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’ve never seen seven games of success go to a fanbase’s head so quickly.

IU deserves better than this game and you know it. They were royally screwed.

The Hoosiers have beaten no one significance in terms of 2020.

So beating Ole Miss shouldn't come as a surprise then. Is it IU's fault Penn St, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin weren't significant this year? No. Ole Miss isn't of any significance either.

They probably deserve better but, trust me, Ole Miss’s offense will put up their fair share of points.

Ole Miss has a good offense, but their defense is equally as bad. Look for IU to control the tempo and keep Ole Miss offense off the field. 

Easily the second best offense IU has seen all year.

Maybe so, but like I said above, this is likely the worst defense IU will see all year. Lane Kiffin is an overt failure in these type of games and a pissed off IU has something to prove against a team who likely doesn't want to be there. 

Edited by Footballking16

Back to topic, Indiana is playing a no win game here. Mississippi is a good team. They put up 21 on alabama and Arkansas. Theyput up 28 against auburn, 35 on Florida and 48 on LSU. All losses but still.  And any where from 40 to 60 points in their wins. 
A win by Indiana and everyone will say that they should have beat a team with a losing record. A loss , that could well happen ,and then IU drops out of the top 20 at least. 

Terrible call on IU’s part to accept ,a non top 6 bowl game.  

17 minutes ago, southend said:

Back to topic, Indiana is playing a no win game here. Mississippi is a good team. They put up 21 on alabama and Arkansas. Theyput up 28 against auburn, 35 on Florida and 48 on LSU. All losses but still.  And any where from 40 to 60 points in their wins. 
A win by Indiana and everyone will say that they should have beat a team with a losing record. A loss , that could well happen ,and then IU drops out of the top 20 at least. 

Terrible call on IU’s part to accept ,a non top 6 bowl game.  

Haven't won a bowl game in 30 years. IU isn't going to get any respect until they start winning bowl games. Tampa is arguably IU's biggest recruiting hotbed and with 20 some players on IU's roster from the Tampa area this is a no-brainer. 

23 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

IU deserves better than this game and you know it. They were royally screwed.

So beating Ole Miss shouldn't come as a surprise then. Is it IU's fault Penn St, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin weren't significant this year? No. Ole Miss isn't of any significance either.

Ole Miss has a good offense, but their defense is equally as bad. Look for IU to control the tempo and keep Ole Miss offense off the field. 

Maybe so, but like I said above, this is likely the worst defense IU will see all year. Lane Kiffin is an overt failure in these type of games and a pissed off IU has something to prove against a team who likely doesn't want to be there. 

Can we judge Ole Miss’ defense on a level equal to IU’s?  Based on the teams mentioned above, is that fair? 
They are by no means elite, but speak softly when you throw them under the bus.  They are playing against future NFL offensive skill players week in and week out, whereas IU took advantage of a soft Big 10.

And, no, it’s not the Hoosiers’ fault the Big Ten was down but you can’t have it both ways.  Is it Ole Miss’ fault they play in the SEC West?  

IU fans:  From happy to make a bowl game to holier than thou, too good for a New Year’s Day Bowl game in less than a year...

There’s a reason it’s a 7 point spread folks.  It’s not that far fetched to say Ole Miss would have finished third in the Big Ten East this year, is it?

Edited by temptation

8 hours ago, DT said:

How do they get up for Indiana?  Really?

Wellllllll......not so fast my friend!

What about the female SJW that say that is sexist?  LOL

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

Can we judge Ole Miss’ defense on a level equal to IU’s?  Based on the teams mentioned above, is that fair? 
They are by no means elite, but speak softly when you throw them under the bus.  They are playing against future NFL offensive skill players week in and week out, whereas IU took advantage of a soft Big 10.

And, no, it’s not the Hoosiers’ fault the Big Ten was down but you can’t have it both ways.  Is it Ole Miss’ fault they play in the SEC West?  

IU fans:  From happy to make a bowl game to holier than thou, too good for a New Year’s Day Bowl game in less than a year...

There’s a reason it’s a 7 point spread folks.  It’s not that far fetched to say Ole Miss would have finished third in the Big Ten East this year, is it?

No doubt they play good offenses in the SEC, but they also gave up 41 to Kentucky, 33 to Arkansas, and 42 to South Carolina. None of those teams I would venture to say have better offenses than IU, Penix or no Penix.

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

No doubt they play good offenses in the SEC, but they also gave up 41 to Kentucky, 33 to Arkansas, and 42 to South Carolina. None of those teams I would venture to say have better offenses than IU, Penix or no Penix.

So, I should bet the over?

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Haven't won a bowl game in 30 years. IU isn't going to get any respect until they start winning bowl games. Tampa is arguably IU's biggest recruiting hotbed and with 20 some players on IU's roster from the Tampa area this is a no-brainer. 

If IU wins , they won’t climb in any of the polls. If they lose, drop out of the top 20. 
this isn’t like losing to Auburn or Florida or LSU. 
Indiana should pass on this menial bowl invite

19 minutes ago, southend said:

If IU wins , they won’t climb in any of the polls. If they lose, drop out of the top 20. 
this isn’t like losing to Auburn or Florida or LSU. 
Indiana should pass on this menial bowl invite

A huge disservice to its fans, players, and coaches not playing this game. Tom Allen is not the one to back down from anything. 

Edited by Footballking16