Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears Next Head Coach

Guest DT

With the season now slipping away, I am hopeful the Bears go into the tank and start looking ahead to next season, and a new Head Coach.  Its clear the Matt Nagy experiment is coming to an end, and the Beloved will have an opportunity for a fresh start with new leadership.

My Top Candidates 

1. Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern

He's ripe, primed and ready to take that next step.  Universally loved and respected.  A home run hire if they can get him.

2. Urban Meyer - Analyst

MIchigan, Texas and USC may be seeking his services very soon.  Meyer might be ready to see what he can do at the higfhest level.

3. Jim Harbaugh - Michigan

The UM experiment may have confirmed in the Khaki Ones mind that he is better suited to the NFL.  Jimbo has deep Bear ties.  

4. Nick Saban - Alabama

The only failure on Saban's resume is his two year stint with the Dolphins.  What a great way to cap a brilliant career by taking the legendary Chicago Bears to a Super Bowl Championship.  It doesnt get any bigger than that.

5. Brian Kelly - Notre Dame

Kelly's stock is at an all time high after the huge win over Clemson.  He has spent his entire career in the Midwest.  Chicago is pretty much Midwest.

9 hours ago, DT said:

With the season now slipping away, I am hopeful the Bears go into the tank and start looking ahead to next season, and a new Head Coach.  Its clear the Matt Nagy experiment is coming to an end, and the Beloved will have an opportunity for a fresh start with new leadership.

My Top Candidates 

1. Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern

He's ripe, primed and ready to take that next step.  Universally loved and respected.  A home run hire if they can get him.

2. Urban Meyer - Analyst

MIchigan, Texas and USC may be seeking his services very soon.  Meyer might be ready to see what he can do at the higfhest level.

3. Jim Harbaugh - Michigan

The UM experiment may have confirmed in the Khaki Ones mind that he is better suited to the NFL.  Jimbo has deep Bear ties.  

4. Nick Saban - Alabama

The only failure on Saban's resume is his two year stint with the Dolphins.  What a great way to cap a brilliant career by taking the legendary Chicago Bears to a Super Bowl Championship.  It doesnt get any bigger than that.

5. Brian Kelly - Notre Dame

Kelly's stock is at an all time high after the huge win over Clemson.  He has spent his entire career in the Midwest.  Chicago is pretty much Midwest.

Fitzgerald is the only one out of that group I would put any stock into. I just hope the Bears realize they went down the right patch with Nagy by hiring an offensive mind and bringing in a solid DC to run the defense. The only problem is Nagy failed. I wouldn't mind seeing them go back to the Reed coaching tree and get Eric Bieniemy. I think he's finally get hired this offseason and he is actually runninng the Reed offense. Nagy was barely used for playcalling when he was in KC.

1 minute ago, Boilernation said:

Fitzgerald is the only one out of that group I would put any stock into. I just hope the Bears realize they went down the right patch with Nagy by hiring an offensive mind and bringing in a solid DC to run the defense. The only problem is Nagy failed. I wouldn't mind seeing them go back to the Reed coaching tree and get Eric Bieniemy. I think he's finally get hired this offseason and he is actually runninng the Reed offense. Nagy was barely used for playcalling when he was in KC.

Bears dont have the talent to run the Reed offense.  I think that Bears management has really turned off the fan base with their consistently poor decision making and the team needs to make a big splash to restimulate interest in the franchise.   A big coaching hire and a move towards a long term solution at QB are critically needed at this time  

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Bears dont have the talent to run the Reed offense.  I think that Bears management has really turned off the fan base with their consistently poor decision making and the team needs to make a big splash to restimulate interest in the franchise.   A big coaching hire and a move towards a long term solution at QB are critically needed at this time  

I am one of those season ticket holders that has never felt so apathtic towards this team.   So undisciplined, Nagy is a glorified walking cliche/cheerleader.... it seems nice in small doses, but where is the SUBSTANCE??   #BeYou alright...   

I would get behind Fitgerald,  Glad to see Brohm not make your list. :)  

I have said this before, though I understood, but the firing of Lovie Smith has startred this decade plus of medrocrity.    

Bob Stoops? 

I first heard about Brian Kelly when was young coach years ago at a coaching clinic in Michigan, he was at Central Michigan at the time, he was in a small room and he was VERY VERY GOOD, so I would get behind that hire in heart beat as well.  

Saban would have to take a paycut to go back to the NFL where he does not have TOTAL control like he does at Alabama.   

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I am one of those season ticket holders that has never felt so apathtic towards this team.   So undisciplined, Nagy is a glorified walking cliche/cheerleader.... it seems nice in small doses, but where is the SUBSTANCE??   #BeYou alright...   

I would get behind Fitgerald,  Glad to see Brohm not make your list. 🙂

I have said this before, though I understood, but the firing of Lovie Smith has startred this decade plus of medrocrity.    

Bob Stoops? 

I first heard about Brian Kelly when was young coach years ago at a coaching clinic in Michigan, he was at Central Michigan at the time, he was in a small room and he was VERY VERY GOOD, so I would get behind that hire in heart beat as well.  

Saban would have to take a paycut to go back to the NFL where he does not have TOTAL control like he does at Alabama.   

I was tempted to add Lovie to the list.  Unfortunately, the Illinois fiasco has tainted his resume.  

12 minutes ago, DT said:

I was tempted to add Lovie to the list.  Unfortunately, the Illinois fiasco has tainted his resume.  

Which is a shame, give him a solid OC and he would still be a great NFL HC, IMO. I agree with you that the Bears don't have the talent to run Reed's offense. Plus, in reality, if Bieniemy's name is finally called, he probably has a lot more appealing options than Chicago. A bigger question is will Pace be around to make the hire or draft/sign a QB. And, given we have a playoff caliber defense, should we prefer the Bears try signing/trading for a QB as opposed to drafting one in the 1st round that may need years to develop? 

• Like 1

Pace  at the end of day will be judged more on BIG MISSES and cost to obtain those big misses. 

Kevin White 2015 7th overall pick.  2nd WR taken,  WR TAKEN after him:   DeVonte Parker Nelson Agaglor   PRO BOWLER:  Marcus Peters DB   Tyler Lockett drafted in 3rd round  (only player left from that draft Eddie Goldman) 

Leanard Floyd 2016  9th overall pick    LT TUNSIL  drafted 4 spots after, pro bowler ,  Ryan Kelly C Pro Bowler, Derrick Henry 2nd round pick WR Michael Thomas drafted 2nd Round.... same round they took Cody Whitehair  DAK PRESCOTT drafted 4th round that year.  (Only Whitehair and Bush at S is 2 players left from that draft class) 

THEN the imfamous 2017 Draft..... the Trade up 1 spot for Mitchell Tribusky Draft....  ( Tribuisky will be gone at end of the year, officially, They oversigned Eddie Jackson, making him highest paid saftey in league.. UGH, not even close and for some ungodly reason, extended Gadget Back Tarik Cohen, making him a top 15 paid RB in the league... Cmon man....) 

Roquan Smith:   2018 Draft,  that was a no brainer pick.  2nd rounder James Daniels, is just average, Antony Miller would be productive player somewhere else I am sure....  

2019 Draft:  Khali Mack trade.  I can live with that still, though Mack at times has been frustrating.  Drafted David Montgomery,  jury still out, but doesn't look good.   Finally saw a Riley Ridley sighting.... yesterday. 

2020 Draft:  Looks to be PACE best draft so far:   2nd rounders, Kmet has flashed and CB Jaylon Johnson looks to be a very good player.   WR Mooney in the 5th round also very solid choice via production thus far.   

So with that Summary...  Get your Resume ready Ryan Pace 

16 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Which is a shame, give him a solid OC and he would still be a great NFL HC, IMO. I agree with you that the Bears don't have the talent to run Reed's offense. Plus, in reality, if Bieniemy's name is finally called, he probably has a lot more appealing options than Chicago. A bigger question is will Pace be around to make the hire or draft/sign a QB. And, given we have a playoff caliber defense, should we prefer the Bears try signing/trading for a QB as opposed to drafting one in the 1st round that may need years to develop? 

I havent given up on Trubisky.  He is a 1st Rd Draft Pick and still has all the tools the Bears need to get the job done.  The offensive line has become a weak spot for the team for the first time in a long time.  And a big power RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield is essential.  

Combine these improvements with a proven Tier 1 coach, and you are set for a SB run.  

I WOULD LOVE 

to see somehow when Drew Brees retires (maybe after this year) Bears find a way to trade for Sean Payton and he finishes his career in Chicago.   PIPE DREAM I know..   one of the many misses Bears have had in the front office 

PAYTON:  Should of been an Offensive Coach during the Lovie Years. 

3 minutes ago, DT said:

I havent given up on Trubisky.  He is a 1st Rd Draft Pick and still has all the tools the Bears need to get the job done.  The offensive line has become a weak spot for the team for the first time in a long time.  And a big power RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield is essential.  

Combine these improvements with a proven Tier 1 coach, and you are set for a SB run.  

Out for the year... I could see Mitch going elsewhere,being a backup and when #1 gets hurt go in and audition as a player in this league 

12 hours ago, DT said:

Big in Belichick for 8 mil a year, he will flame out as well, but would be interesting. 

The #1 way for a GM to get fired is to swing & miss on a franchise QB drafted early in the first round. Trubisky is Exhibit A. I know @DT believes Trubisky can succeed in the NFL, and maybe he will. But it clearly won’t be with Chicago. And it probably won’t be to the level of a top-5 draft pick.

• Like 1

Just now, Bobref said:

No team in the history of the NFL has ever “tanked” with a winning record.

Change my mind.

The Bears are currently 5-4 and on a 3 game losing streak.  They tank their remaining 7 games to go 5-11 and that may put them in shouting distance of the #1 pick with a lucrative trade thrown in.   Say Mr. Mack?

On 11/9/2020 at 9:08 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

I would get behind Fitgerald,  Glad to see Brohm not make your list. 🙂

Brohm would be my first call if I ran the Bears. Dodds from the Colts would be my first call for the GM spot.  

21 minutes ago, cbc34 said:

Brohm would be my first call if I ran the Bears. Dodds from the Colts would be my first call for the GM spot.  

The “next boy wonder” from college is the last thing the Bears need. How about somebody with something of a track record in the pros?

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The “next boy wonder” from college is the last thing the Bears need. How about somebody with something of a track record in the pros?

I couldnt agree more.  I wish the Bears were more like the Pittsburgh Steelers.  They know exactly who they are and have great conviction in every decision they make.  The Bears finally did something bold with the Mack signing.  That seemed so out of character for the organization.  Nagy has turned out to be exactly who we thought he was.  A relatively unknown, unproven career assistant .  It is what it is.  Do the Bears want to continue to operate like a small market team, or do they want to return to the top tier where they belong?

6 minutes ago, DT said:

I couldnt agree more.  I wish the Bears were more like the Pittsburgh Steelers.  They know exactly who they are and have great conviction in every decision they make.  The Bears finally did something bold with the Mack signing.  That seemed so out of character for the organization.  Nagy has turned out to be exactly who we thought he was.  A relatively unknown, unproven career assistant .  It is what it is.  Do the Bears want to continue to operate like a small market team, or do they want to return to the top tier where they belong?

Harbaugh?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Harbaugh?

Eh, I would pass. I think he benefited greatly in San Fran by having Fangio and Roman as Coordinators. First and foremost I'm hoping Ted Phillips is removed of his duties. For the 1st time ever the McCaskey's fired one of their own and went outside the family for a President. Phillips hasn't proven in any capacity he deserves to be running an NFL team. Bring in a new President, let him pick his GM, and then look for the HC. One name I do like for HC is Buffalo OC Brian Daboll. He has spent time with both Belicheck and Saban. His offense appears to be better suited for the Bears talent moreso than Bieniemy at this point. 

Admittedly, I probably put too much value into hot but unproven Coordinators. My fear with some retread coaches is they haven't evolved with the game or they're success was more about the Coordinators and staff they had around them.

1 hour ago, DT said:

I wish the likes of a Bill Cowher could be coaxed out of the talking-head booth and back onto the sidelines.   But maybe the game has passed him by......................

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I wish the likes of a Bill Cowher could be coaxed out of the talking-head booth and back onto the sidelines.   But maybe the game has passed him by......................

He would transform the franchise

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Harbaugh?

I would prefer Harbaugh over an OC/DC or another college guy.

I truly thought Harbaugh would take UM to the national championship.  It just so happens that he has run into the greatest Big Ten dynasty ever in this decade of Ohio State football.  

Harbaugh won big at San Francisco.  He has strong Bear ties.  But he might not be the best Harbaugh?  LOL