Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2021

Zoomed in, there are some areas Bosse could absorb from the North District, if another realignment is planned 

1 hour ago, eschnur66 said:

They have not for thirty years or better, why would they now.  The perfect opportunity was when the new North building was relocated.  It was the perfect opportunity to make some changes and they did not.  

Wow, I did not know it’s been 30 years, always thought they redid it when the new North opened 

3 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Zoomed in, there are some areas Bosse could absorb from the North District, if another realignment is planned 

Wow, I did not know it’s been 30 years, always thought they redid it when the new North opened 

Sure has ... Could absorb areas from each of the other five high schools.  All have pieces of the Bosse pie.

23 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Which school do you think should close?  With the "new" North I think the geography is pretty good.

I think the plan was to turn North into McCutchanville / Cambridge / Oak Meadow high school.  But then they realized their sports would be better off if they kept some of the Evans kids around. 

North's district shouldn't come south of Diamond or cross 41.  I understand that didn't make sense with the old building's location. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Part of that should involve school closure.

I think part of the problem is with how the grade schools and middle schools are distributed.  If you look at the map, the are all, except for basically the new North jr high ,grouped in the old city limits (south).

6 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think the plan was to turn North into McCutchanville / Cambridge / Oak Meadow high school.  But then they realized their sports would be better off if they kept some of the Evans kids around. 

North's district shouldn't come south of Diamond or cross 41.  I understand that didn't make sense with the old building's location. 

Sports had little to no impact on the districting of Evansville.  The current districts took two main components into consideration, and they are in this order.

1. "Culture"
  2. Geography

2 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

I think part of the problem is with how the grade schools and middle schools are distributed.  If you look at the map, the are all, except for basically the new North jr high ,grouped in the old city limits (south).

https://district.evscschools.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_74688/File/About Us/Attendance Districts/evsc-building-map.pdf

6 hours ago, eschnur66 said:

Sports had little to no impact on the districting of Evansville.  The current districts took two main components into consideration, and they are in this order.

1. "Culture"
  2. Geography

We're in agreement on that coach, you just are a little more direct - in a good way.  The Evans kids have all the "culture" for North HS, which is what I was implying. LOL

9 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

A few Cambridge kids attend/have attended Gibson Southern. edit...just as a FYI...I know they aren't districted to do that.

Edited by Titan32

3 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

What is Harrison's capacity? Central? North?

Well, Harrison isn’t near large enough to accommodate all or most of Bosse’s students.  And Central and North are awfully far away.

EVSC isn’t closing Bosse, nor should they.  What a slap in the face that would be to the families in that area.  And, on top of that, I’ve heard nothing but good things about what Aaron Huff and his staff and faculty have done there.

11 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Well, Harrison isn’t near large enough to accommodate all or most of Bosse’s students.  And Central and North are awfully far away.

The problem that I see, however, when I look at this map-

https://district.evscschools.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_74688/File/About Us/Attendance Districts/EVSC building map8_16_18.pdf

- is that every EVSC school pulls a little bit from the center of Evansville. I find it very funny that there are kids that live east of Pigeon Creek that attend Reitz. 

2 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

The problem that I see, however, when I look at this map-

https://district.evscschools.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_74688/File/About Us/Attendance Districts/EVSC building map8_16_18.pdf

- is that every EVSC school pulls a little bit from the center of Evansville. I find it very funny that there are kids that live east of Pigeon Creek that attend Reitz. 

I feel like the map is drawn that way to avoid some difficult conversations about race, housing, and socio-economics.  I feel like this conversation has drifted toward some OOB topics, but the district map reflects a long history in Evansville.  Lincoln High School (now K-8) is #16 on that map, right in the center city, was the segregated HS while the rest were all white.  You can see by the district lines what desegregation and bussing was trying to accomplish.  

Redrawing district lines would open up some discussions that might be uncomfortable. Neighborhoods like Jacobsville, Jimtown, Culver, and Glenwood are all part of the federal Promise and/or Enterprise Zones.  They are currently divided up amongst 4 HS, with Harrison on the east excluded.  (Harrison has Fairlawn and Village Green areas, though.)  Redistricting purely on geography could result in a single HS disproportionately affected in terms of resources and students.  

The same problems come up if you were to simply close one of the schools as well.  Last fall, a discussion on building a pedestrian overpass at US 41/Washington to allow safer access to Bosse brought plenty of these issues to light. 

14 hours ago, Titan32 said:

A few Cambridge kids attend/have attended Gibson Southern. edit...just as a FYI...I know they aren't districted to do that.

GS has always had nice some recruiting classes from northern Vanderburgh County. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

From some observations/questions 

Who will be the next starting Memorial QB?

Can Jasper maker some noise again this year? 

Can North finally get above .500 after a disappointing end to the season last year?

Do we see any improvements from Bosse and Harrison?

Will Coach Brunson get his first winning season at Reitz?

Does a talented MD team finally make it to state? 

Does Castle make some noise in the tournament again?

How will Alices look in their 2nd year in the SIAC?

Which SIAC team will surprise the conference?
How will Central look after losing tons of talent from their senior class?

Discuss below