Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Michigan/ Ohio st. Game

southend

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2020/12/08/ohio-state-vs-michigan-canceled-what-does-mean-indiana-football-big-ten-title-game/6494058002/

Under protocols voted into place by conference athletic directors before the start of the truncated 2020 season, Ohio State would not be eligible to play next weekend in Indianapolis in the Big Ten Championship Game because the Buckeyes have only played five games. If those protocols hold, that would elevate the Big Ten East’s No. 2 team into the league title game. 

This year, that’s Indiana. 

However — a word that’s done a lot of heavy lifting around the conference in the last few weeks — the ADs could alter their own rules here in the final week of the regular season to lower the game minimum, thereby allowing Ohio State into the championship game against confirmed Big Ten West champion Northwestern.  

It’s a possibility Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez, chair of the Big Ten’s return-to-play task force, suggested the conference was willing to entertain. 

“I would think that if something would happen to Ohio State and they’d have to cancel another game, that’s something that we’ve got to revisit,” Alvarez told the Detroit News last week. “They’re sitting up there still ranked No. 4 (in the College Football Playoff rankings). Our league can’t keep them from having the opportunity if they have a chance to be in the finals.”

IU and Ohio State have already played this season, the Buckeyes defeating Indiana, 42-35, in front of an empty stadium on Nov. 21 in Columbus. 

It’s also been suggested — though not confirmed — that the Big Ten could rearrange schedules elsewhere for the coming weekend, to find Ohio State another opponent, thereby giving them a path to six games. There has been no public discussion of such a possibility as yet. 

Tuesday afternoon, the Big Ten released a statement on the OSU-Michigan cancelation and what it might mean moving forward.

"The conference is committed to transparency and will continue to collaborate with its member institution stakeholders to determine Big Ten Football Championship Game participation requirements as well as tiebreakers," the statement read.

Big Ten athletic directors, the group that would vote to authorize any change in the eligibility requirements, meet virtually every Wednesday morning.

Indiana, locked in as the No. 2 team in the East, is currently scheduled to play Purdue on Saturday in Bloomington, in the 101st-consecutive Old Oaken Bucket game. Purdue announced via news release Tuesday that it had canceled practice “to evaluate the results of recent COVID-19 testing.”

If the conference does not change its rules, the Hoosiers will be playing with a place in the Big Ten championship game already assured.

I would like to be a fly on the wall for tomorrow morning's meeting.  See how much the OSU AD throw's his weight around.

5 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2020/12/08/ohio-state-vs-michigan-canceled-what-does-mean-indiana-football-big-ten-title-game/6494058002/

I would like to be a fly on the wall for tomorrow morning's meeting.  See how much the OSU AD throw's his weight around.

Simple.  Rules are set.  IU makes the BIG Championship game.  Personal responsibility.

19 minutes ago, DE said:

Simple.  Rules are set.  IU makes the BIG Championship game.  Personal responsibility.

I wish it were that simple.  Unfortunately when there are big time Benjamins involved along with a "national brand" like the OSU Buckeyes rules can and will be changed.  Once can hope the other Big 10 AD's will man up, but now it's "party" over the "individual" with a spot in the 4-team playoff on the line.

Edited by Muda69
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't seem fair to these other teams who have played 9+ games to let in a team into the playoff who has only played 5 games. Perhaps this opens the door for Indiana, Texas A&M, Florida, Cincinnati to sneak into the playoff this year. Lot can happen between now and next Saturday

14 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Doesn't seem fair to these other teams who have played 9+ games to let in a team into the playoff who has only played 5 games. Perhaps this opens the door for Indiana, Texas A&M, Florida, Cincinnati to sneak into the playoff this year. Lot can happen between now and next Saturday

“Fair?” The only concern here for the B1G is making sure that when the music stops, they have one of the 4 chairs left. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I wish it were that simple.  Unfortunately when there are big time Benjamins involved along with a "national brand" like the OSU Buckeyes rules can and will be changed.  Once can hope the other Big 10 AD's will man up, but now it's "party" over the "individual" with a spot in the 4-team playoff on the line.

Money talks, keeping the poisonous nuts from the big playoff show will cost the big ten conference millions!

You all know why the conference even started the season, after trashing it. They looked up and saw the financial hit that they would take. 
This is capitalism’s at its best. 

• Like 1

Rules are rules but I fully expect the B10 to “amend” their previous protocols.

Michigan’s AD actually has already spoken out and supports the conference making an exception for the Buckeyes.

Herbstreit already tried to paint the narrative to the national folks that Michigan was ducking OSU...yet the report is 45 players would be out due to the virus/contact tracing.  It’s too late though.

I also already see many OSU “fans” running with that narrative...10 days after they had their game against Illinois cancelled due to their positivity/contact tracing...

This is a money game and all the  BIGschools take a big loss with Ohio st. out of the 4team play off. And the BIGTEN is the biggest money conference.
Why did you think penn st. Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland clammered to get in when invited? It was because millions were put into their athletic bank. 

I can empathize with osu a bit here, theye did after all win in a head to head game. UM cancelling was out of their control, BUT, asTemptation said, their own program did not do what it needed to leading up to the Illinois game. So my empathy stops there. IU has done what it needed to as a program, controlling the virus as best they could. They met the pre season standards that were put in place, and should not be slapped in the face for doing more than the osu program did to protect the season. Bigger question is, does osu get left out of the CFP because of the limited number of games? 

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

My question is since there is no requirement to play in your conference title game to go to the playoff, why not just let IU/NU play in Indy and reschedule UM/OSU for the same day?

Win/win.

Maybe one solution to look at. 

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

My question is since there is no requirement to play in your conference title game to go to the playoff, why not just let IU/NU play in Indy and reschedule UM/OSU for the same day?

Win/win.

The only question is from Michigan. When did the countdown start for the players who tested positive? I believe that December 19th is the last date teams wanting to compete for the title can play...if I remember reading that right. 

Just now, Irishman said:

The only question is from Michigan. When did the countdown start for the players who tested positive? I believe that December 19th is the last date teams wanting to compete for the title can play...if I remember reading that right. 

They closed their facilities and shut down on 12/1 if I’m not mistaken.

But this is Hilarious! The two biggest powers in the Big Ten, one can’t win a game, and the other can’t play in the championship! Lol. The rude Ohio state fans and Big blue fans ain’t any better. Lol. What a hoot!

You couldn’t write a better scenario for me as the two teams I despise the most. Lol

Fun to see them woller in it, if only for a season. This will bring them down to what Purdue and Indiana have had to deal with for how long? Lol, This is real funny.  
Next year I will  slap myself back into reality. Oh well funny while it lasted. 

14 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I have no doubt that it will end with osu getting their way. Just hope the Hoosiers remember this going forward.

The Hoosiers, if they win out here, have a date with a January 2 bowl game! Big money and recruiting bait. This is way more important to them as a program than what happens with OSU. Let the fun begin!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I am with you 100%.  Why have rules at all?  Make up crap as you go. Asinine. Scummy. All of it. 

BIG effed their entire conference and this is what they get. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Rules are rules but I fully expect the B10 to “amend” their previous protocols.

Michigan’s AD actually has already spoken out and supports the conference making an exception for the Buckeyes.

Herbstreit already tried to paint the narrative to the national folks that Michigan was ducking OSU...yet the report is 45 players would be out due to the virus/contact tracing.  It’s too late though.

I also already see many OSU “fans” running with that narrative...10 days after they had their game against Illinois cancelled due to their positivity/contact tracing...

I’ve said it for months. Contact tracing is screwing everything. It’s pointless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Win/win.

BINGO