Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Memes - Abandon all hope - Ye who enter....

swordfish

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, swordfish said:

And don't try to have a discussion with a BLM person because your opinion doesn't matter, only theirs, because a BLM person, especially if they are black CANNOT be racist......There is no argument that can be made......

Image may contain: text that says 'BLACK lives don't matter to BLACK people unless killed by a WHITE person. Y'all not ready for this conversation 100 Y'all kill each other all day everyday'

A Bureau of Land Management person?

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 2

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Funny to see so many people on the other side that wants to sweep history under the rug, instead of keeping in a place that future generations can learn and not repeat the past.

Its also easier for the other side to stereotype everyone on the "other side" as evil people...instead of taking the time to understand people and the times.  

Taking down monuments erected anywhere from 70-80 years or more after that war are not meant to preserve history in the sense many think it is, and it is not even trying to sweep history under the rug. The Robert E. Lee statue that started the whole mess was finished in the late 1920’s. The statue is in a place where many can see it, and serves as a reminder to remember their place in that State. Just like the memorial in Garfield Park in Indy. The klan’s influence had it moved to e more prominent, visible spot as a message to many who don’t look like them. How many monuments are dedicated to British soldiers who fought in the Revolutionary War? Should the Germans have kept monuments to Hitler to help preserve their history? Should Iraq keep statues to Saddam Hussein? Should the Russians keep the statues of Stalin and Lenin up? All those are ones that were taken down, and the history behind those people has not been lost, or even swept under the rug. 
The fact is that the notion that getting rid of these would somehow erase history is weak. There are still museums dedicated to such important moments in our Nation’s history. Just like there are museums dedicated to what Hitler and the nazis did. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Just like the memorial in Garfield Park in Indy. The klan’s influence had it moved to e more prominent, visible spot as a message to many who don’t look like them. 

As I posted about this in the New Normal thread:

"Frankly I fail to see how thing kind of monument "glorifies" the south, racism, and the cause of slavery.   If anything it is a reminder that 1,616 men died due to Union neglect and negligence, not in battle.  Did they truly deserve that fate, regardless of what side they fought on?"

How is this so controversial?:

5ed96467d746d.image.jpg

• Disdain 2

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

As I posted about this in the New Normal thread:

"Frankly I fail to see how thing kind of monument "glorifies" the south, racism, and the cause of slavery.   If anything it is a reminder that 1,616 men died due to Union neglect and negligence, not in battle.  Did they truly deserve that fate, regardless of what side they fought on?"

How is this so controversial?:

5ed96467d746d.image.jpg

What is so controversial? You mean beside the fact that this is not the place where the soldiers died or where the graves for them are? or beside the fact that the reason it is in the spot it is in was decided by members of the klan so that it would be more visible to all residents of the city, including the minorities? Beside the fact that no one really spoke up for keeping it when it was up for discussion in 2017 when the Parks Department voted to have it removed. From that time, museums have had the opportunity to take the monument, but no one has stepped up. 

I would also add that this marker currently sits in Crown Hill Cemetery where the remains are actually buried now. 

Crown Hill Confederate Cemetery... This is a grave site of 1616 ...

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

What is so controversial? You mean beside the fact that this is not the place where the soldiers died or where the graves for them are? or beside the fact that the reason it is in the spot it is in was decided by members of the klan so that it would be more visible to all residents of the city, including the minorities? Beside the fact that no one really spoke up for keeping it when it was up for discussion in 2017 when the Parks Department voted to have it removed. From that time, museums have had the opportunity to take the monument, but no one has stepped up. 

I would also add that this marker currently sits in Crown Hill Cemetery where the remains are actually buried now. 

Crown Hill Confederate Cemetery... This is a grave site of 1616 ...

Yes, the klan moved it.  Again, so what?  This monument as far as I can tell has no images of the confederacy on it.  No confederate flags, no statue of Robert E. Lee perched atop it. If it had any of that symbolism then my opinion would possibly change.  But this is just yet another piece of history that some people looking to to outraged about latched on to because it has the world "confederate" engraved on it and racists long since dead had it moved.  And of course Mr. Hogsett can use his decision to hopefully garner votes in the next election.  Luckly for him such a mild example existed in the city of Indianapolis.  Otherwise he might had to order the remains of the 1616 evil confederate soldiers exhumed and removed from the city limits.   After all these men had to be evil incarnate for the Union to let them die in a POW camp.  Correct?

• Disdain 2

30 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I am impressed that you knew the intent of statues erected in the late 1920's.  I have no clue the intent of erecting the Confederate monument in Garfield Park or anywhere else during that period.

I lived in Virginia for many years.  Those monuments erected had NOTHING to do with the Klan or racist views.  I think that is a weak stereotype.  

There is lots out there with some simple searches to the history of Confederate monuments along with lots of support for them to remain...so while your entitled to your opinion, it is not always reflected by historians....and please don't label them as racists or Klan folks.  

BTW, you are WAY off about all the statues of Lenin being removed.....they are all over former Soviet bloc countries (including Russia) and you just might even find a few in the US.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_statues_of_Vladimir_Lenin

As far as the bold part; which is it? You either have no clue of the intent of erecting them or you do.

So, your years in Virginia made you an all knowing expert? lol, yeah, ok

And the last part? Yeah I was WAY off. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demolition_of_monuments_to_Vladimir_Lenin_in_Ukraine

"The demolition of Lenin monuments in Ukraine happened in four stages. During the 1990s more than 2,000 Lenin monuments were demolished in Galicia and Volyn, at the turn of the 1990-2000s more than 600 Lenin monuments were removed in western and central areas, in 2005-2008 more than 600 were demolished mainly in central areas, and in 2013-2014 552 monuments were demolished.

Yep, way off....my bad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1