Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

17 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Memorial’s Drew Weinzapfel and Mater Dei’s Mason Wunderlich have been selected for the 2022 Football Digest Primetime 25!

Drew looks like he's been working the farm out there in St. Phillip... 

11 hours ago, eschnur66 said:

You are not wrong, but this group is pretty special. If they continue to progress at their current rate, there are multiple guys with extremely high ceilings!

Don’t get me wrong…North has athletes in all sports. Football staff is top notch and kids seem more committed to weightlifting since this staff took over. Hopefully this is the year the Huskies find a way to get over that .500 hump and win a sectional. 

Since we are talking offense and defense, why not these?

Best receiver group?

Best RB room or duo?

Best O-line?

Best TE in the SIAC?

Best QB in the SIAC? (This one will be debated all season)

Best D-line?

Best LB core?

Best safeties?

Best Corners?

Some things to consider over the next few weeks before the summer practices begin 

On 4/1/2022 at 8:08 PM, Screagle said:

Davis not as good as the kid they already have IMO. 

Not sure who you are referring to but based on last season and what I've heard about Davies, he's very solid for his age and has a lot of potential. Wherever he plays, I would guess he's a three year starter.

15 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Best receiver group?

Best RB room or duo?

Best O-line?

Best TE in the SIAC?

Best D-line?

Best LB core?

Best safeties?

Best Corners?

Some things to consider over the next few weeks before the summer practices begin 

A lot of really good questions here. I'll try to answer a few or at least give my opinions.

Best O-line has got to go to Memorial. I believe they had the best o-line in the conference last year and return everyone if I'm correct. They are my clear choice. 

Best QB will be Mason Wunderlich at MD. He will be a 3 year starter and has the experience of a couple of deep playoff runs the last two years. He's started 29 games going into his senior season and that has to be a huge benefit to him and MD.

Best LB group would have to start with Castle and John Purdy. I think he's the top linebacker in the conference so the discussion has to start here. 

The others are a bit more murky.

Best receiver group could be Memorial with Leo Collins leading the pack. Mater Dei returns Ethan Stolz and Drew Martin who both started last year and made contributions. 

Best running back. Mater Dei and Castle both return what will be 3 year starters. Memorial loses their dynamite tandem, North and Reitz both graduated their starters as well. I believe Jayden Thomas is gone from Bosse but could be wrong there. 

TE is tough because I'm not sure outside of Jasper who really uses a TE much. No clue from me.

D line might be Castle as well. I know they lost some but they always seem to have a good d line. Mater Dei loses Ralph and Boots which is huge. Memorial loses most of their d line. Not sure what Jasper has returning but they were a menace last year. Another punt from me. 

Mater Dei returns both starting safeties in Pierre and Turner. Pierre lead the team with 4 interceptions a year ago and Turner had two if I remember correctly. Both played very well and should be better with a year of experience. 

Corners - no clue. Reitz returns most of their defensive backfield, including Roland Vera, so I might go with them here. 

I'm sure there are a lot of other opinions out there. I just wanted to try to get the ball rolling.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Best receiver group?

Best RB room or duo?

Best O-line?

Best TE in the SIAC?

Best D-line?

Best LB core?

Best safeties?

Best Corners?

Good topic. Not sure on all those specifics, but I will name 3 returning (that I know of, limited knowledge) impact players for each position off the top of my head.

QB - Mason Wunderlich (MD), Caleb Ellsperman (Memorial), Grant Young (Jasper)

RB - Joey Pierre (MD), Peyton Guerzini (Castle), Jonas Burnett (Reitz)

WR - Leo Collins (Memorial), Weston Aigner (Castle), Xavier Thomas (Reitz)

TE - Kaleb Harris (North), Branson Beal (Reitz), Brooks Thomas (Harrison)

OL - Edward Hartig (Memorial), Timmy Dixon (North), Harlen Summers (Reitz)

DL - Jayden Hazelwood (North), Levi Oxley (Reitz), Da'shon Stewart (Central)

LB - John Purdy (Castle), Ayden Wells (Reitz), Carac Johnson (Memorial)

DB - Bralen Bair (Jasper), Asher Horn (Harrison), Roland Vera Jr. (Reitz)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

A lot of really good questions here. I'll try to answer a few or at least give my opinions.

Best O-line has got to go to Memorial. I believe they had the best o-line in the conference last year and return everyone if I'm correct. They are my clear choice. 

Best QB will be Mason Wunderlich at MD. He will be a 3 year starter and has the experience of a couple of deep playoff runs the last two years. He's started 29 games going into his senior season and that has to be a huge benefit to him and MD.

Best LB group would have to start with Castle and John Purdy. I think he's the top linebacker in the conference so the discussion has to start here. 

The others are a bit more murky.

Best receiver group could be Memorial with Leo Collins leading the pack. Mater Dei returns Ethan Stolz and Drew Martin who both started last year and made contributions. 

Best running back. Mater Dei and Castle both return what will be 3 year starters. Memorial loses their dynamite tandem, North and Reitz both graduated their starters as well. I believe Jayden Thomas is gone from Bosse but could be wrong there. 

TE is tough because I'm not sure outside of Jasper who really uses a TE much. No clue from me.

D line might be Castle as well. I know they lost some but they always seem to have a good d line. Mater Dei loses Ralph and Boots which is huge. Memorial loses most of their d line. Not sure what Jasper has returning but they were a menace last year. Another punt from me. 

Mater Dei returns both starting safeties in Pierre and Turner. Pierre lead the team with 4 interceptions a year ago and Turner had two if I remember correctly. Both played very well and should be better with a year of experience. 

Corners - no clue. Reitz returns most of their defensive backfield, including Roland Vera, so I might go with them here. 

I'm sure there are a lot of other opinions out there. I just wanted to try to get the ball rolling.  

Agree with a lot of what you said. I will add my additional thoughts...Best QB should be Wunderlich. Best RB will be Pierre or Guerzini, but look out for Burnett at Reitz if he stays healthy, or St. Louis/Northington at North. Best OL goes to Memorial obviously. Best WR group would be Memorial (Collins and Pearce), MD (Stolz, Martin, younger McDurmon), or Reitz (Thomas, Vera, Hayden Summers). North has talent at WR as well. Best LB group would be Castle led by Purdy or Reitz who returns all of their LBs. Best secondary would be MD, Jasper, or Reitz who returns all of theirs. Best corner probably Bair at Jasper. Best DL might be Castle or North. Lot of talent in the SIAC, looking forward to seeing them all play! 

Edited by Football Fanatic
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

We lose:

C Axel Diaz 6’0 260

RT Barry Duff 6’7 295

But return:

LT Jack Cassidy 6’4 250

LG Drew Weinzapfel 6’3 250

RG Edward Hartig 6’6 290

No idea who will be the C or RT, might be seeing 2 way players. But they will be really good again

Edited by TigerFan20

16 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

We lose:

C Axel Diaz 6’0 260

RT Barry Duff 6’7 295

But return:

LT Jack Cassidy 6’4 250

LG Drew Weinzapfel 6’3 250

RG Edward Hartig 6’6 290

No idea who will be the C or RT, might be seeing 2 way players. But they will be really good again

Ok so you don't return everyone but I think we would all agree to start with those 3 and build from there. 

Maybe this wouldn’t be the correct thread to put this on but at the end of this upcoming football season I’ll be moving to Evansville. Trying to make some coaching connections around the area beforehand so if any coaches on here or anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.