Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

18 hours ago, ShakeDownTheThunder said:

I will say, theoretically, with USI going D1 and the possibility of a football program within the next decade,

There is NO chance of football being added at USI, that opportunity sailed the moment they moved to DI.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

There is NO chance of football being added at USI, that opportunity sailed the moment they moved to DI.

Agreed. And so Evansville will soon have the luxury of two crappy D1 basketball teams with minimal fan interest, one for the east side and one for the west side... 

3 minutes ago, tango said:

Agreed. And so Evansville will soon have the luxury of two crappy D1 basketball teams with minimal fan interest, one for the east side and one for the west side... 

I also agree this is how it will go.  It is sad because SW Indiana could field a completive DII, NAIA or perhaps even D1 FCS football team IMHO.

14 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

I agree with this. I think the OVC was strategic when they added Lindenwood (St Charles, MO) at the same time as USI. Lindenwood will fill that need to sponsor D1 football for the conference. 

3 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I also agree this is how it will go.  It is sad because SW Indiana could field a completive DII, NAIA or perhaps even D1 FCS football team IMHO.

I concur. 

I disagree. USI will be competitive in D1 in the near future. Recruiting should not be an issue at all, especially with the transfer portal options. The big question will be maintaining and developing the players. As far as USI football goes, I agree the chances are low. However, I could see the wheels begin to turn within the next decade. 

Do we have anyone around here committed to the Saint Mary of the Woods college football team? I believe I saw where Sullivan's coach resigned to be the first head coach for the new program. A small college starting football giving some local kids and opportunity to play ball. 

11 minutes ago, SouthernFan said:

Do we have anyone around here committed to the Saint Mary of the Woods college football team? I believe I saw where Sullivan's coach resigned to be the first head coach for the new program. A small college starting football giving some local kids and opportunity to play ball. 

I think a few players have offers to go there

1 hour ago, SouthernFan said:

St. Mary's is starting a "sprint" football team with a weight limit of 173ish pounds.  I have heard some rumblings of another Indiana school starting a sprint team to begin play in 2023.

I am all for giving more students - especially males - an opportunity to get a college education first and continuing to play football, even if they have to eat nothing but salads to do it.   

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

St. Mary's is starting a "sprint" football team with a weight limit of 173ish pounds.  I have heard some rumblings of another Indiana school starting a sprint team to begin play in 2023.

I am all for giving more students - especially males - an opportunity to get a college education first and continuing to play football, even if they have to eat nothing but salads to do it.   

Calumet College in Goshen is starting a Sprint Football team. 178lb weight limit.

1 hour ago, SouthernFan said:

I thought there were several from Ev. Bosse..

2 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

If you have not heard yet...the Reitz community lost a freshmen Tuesday night in an accidental death. The school announced that it was Kaden Vera...younger brother of Roland Vera. So sad for that family and the community 😔

A terrible tragedy.  

2 hours ago, SouthernFan said:

Bosse had 4 commit to SMWC - Breylin Behme, DeBryan Bush, Adonimi Parker, Jeffrey Lapointe

• Like 2

To stir up some conversation, Calprep's unofficial projected Top 4 finish/preseason rankings(will be different over the summer): 

1. Memorial (4A#3)

2. Castle (5A#4)

3. Jasper (4A#6)

4. Mater Dei (2A#2) 

By August 11th, this will most likely change once the coaches put in their information, so have at it for the time being.

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

To stir up some conversation, Calprep's unofficial projected Top 4 finish/preseason rankings(will be different over the summer): 

1. Memorial (4A#3)

2. Castle (5A#4)

3. Jasper (4A#6)

4. Mater Dei (2A#2) 

By August 11th, this will most likely change once the coaches put in their information, so have at it for the time being.

I appreciate someone trying to stir up conversation but these ratings appear to be worthless. If you look closer, Central is projected to finish 5th in conference. I would bet about anything I own that the Bears won't finish ahead of Reitz or North next year. The top 4 may very well end up this way but I think anyone with a brain could tell you this will likely be the top 4 in conference in some order. Reitz could sneak in there too. There are some major question marks with each of the top 4 right now. How those questions are answered in the summer will tell us a lot. I'll go ahead and make a guess on April 22nd though.

1. Memorial 

2. Mater Dei

3. Castle

4 Reitz

5 Jasper

6. North

I'll probably look like a fool later for picking Jasper 5th. 

6 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Probably a good time to bring this up, since that is coming up on Monday

I predict the IHSAA will demonstrate how much they care about student athletes and deny his appeal. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 11:22 AM, Football Fanatic said:

I disagree. USI will be competitive in D1 in the near future. Recruiting should not be an issue at all, especially with the transfer portal options. The big question will be maintaining and developing the players. As far as USI football goes, I agree the chances are low. However, I could see the wheels begin to turn within the next decade. 

I think we are going to continue to see a shift with the NIL and transfer portals.  USI being in the OVC will give them enough exposure to seeing multiple recruits come in to the basketball program. 

How will USI's storied XC and track programs perform in D1? 

What about baseball and softball? 

How will the transfer portal affect the other non-money making sports?

USI should 100% get football.  The amount of talent in Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois, and Northern KY could give USI a very solid base, then add a few kids from an Ohio, Texas, Florida, or California and it could be awesome.  There is a lot of untapped talent here!  And, I believe there is enough interest, plus you could make some awesome facilities to go along with the new basketball and volleyball venues.  It is amazing the amount of money the school has invested in the Rec and PAC and academic facilities, but just refuses to add football.  I think there would be a huge uptick in enrollment.  USI has newer facilities and offers mostly the same majors as ISU, I would think that would make it more appealing.

On 4/28/2022 at 7:40 PM, tango said:

I predict the IHSAA will demonstrate how much they care about student athletes and deny his appeal. 

His transfer to Central after 1 year at Westfield was on the up and up.  His transfer to Memorial after 1 semester at Central is not.

Paul Neidig is the former AD at Central.

• Thanks 1