Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

13 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

How will the conference look overall in the 2022 season? Very competitive from top to middle of the pack

Will Jasper defend its title or will a new/co champion will be crowned? New champ, MD or Memorial

QB trouble in Paradise? Who will take the reign of Castle’s QB1 for the season? I have an idea, and I think they'll be fine

Who replaces the Dynamic Duo RB combo at Memorial? Or potentially a new QB behind Memorial’s O-line? Not sure how the Rode situation will work out but I would think Donavan Baker gets some run

Can the Huskies finally get over the 5 win hump and get a winning season? QB will be a big question mark for them but I think they finish about the same

Do we see an improved Bosse team coming into the season? I think as a team they improve a bit but still end with 2-3 wins

Judging by the off season, is Reitz slowly becoming a potential Dark Horse in the SIAC? Or will the Panthers at least get over the losing season hump. I would say so, lot of experienced talent plus whatever they add. I could see them getting 5-7 wins depending on the QB situation

How do the teams of VL, Central, Harrison look like this upcoming season? Not great. I don't know who all Central is losing but I assume they have some young or returning talent. I would pre-rank those 1 Central 2 Harrison 3 VL

Can Mater Dei make another trip at the State Finals? Yes, another good shot at it and possibly meet up with Andrean again

Favorite(s) in the SIAC this season? Memorial or MD

Most intriguing matchup? Memorial vs MD

Deepest postseason run? Or multiple deep runs? MD at least goes to semi-state, Memorial goes to regionals, Castle possibly goes to regionals

Hardest schedule? VL has the toughest schedule due to traveling and being the underdog

Team to beat in the SIAC? Has to be MD as a returning state runner up

Will Tango make his Chili in Jasper? I have no knowledge of this Tango Chili

Edited by Football Fanatic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

How will the conference look overall in the 2022 season? Very competitive from top to middle of the pack

Will Jasper defend its title or will a new/co champion will be crowned? New champ, MD or Memorial

QB trouble in Paradise? Who will take the reign of Castle’s QB1 for the season? I have an idea, and I think they'll be fine

Who replaces the Dynamic Duo RB combo at Memorial? Or potentially a new QB behind Memorial’s O-line? Not sure how the Rode situation will work out but I would think Donavan Baker gets some run

Can the Huskies finally get over the 5 win hump and get a winning season? QB will be a big question mark for them but I think they finish about the same

Do we see an improved Bosse team coming into the season? I think as a team they improve a bit but still end with 2-3 wins

Judging by the off season, is Reitz slowly becoming a potential Dark Horse in the SIAC? Or will the Panthers at least get over the losing season hump. I would say so, lot of experienced talent plus whatever they add. I could see them getting 5-7 wins depending on the QB situation

How do the teams of VL, Central, Harrison look like this upcoming season? Not great. I don't know who all Central is losing but I assume they have some young or returning talent. I would pre-rank those 1 Central 2 Harrison 3 VL

Can Mater Dei make another trip at the State Finals? Yes, another good shot at it and possibly meet up with Andrean again

Favorite(s) in the SIAC this season? Memorial or MD

Most intriguing matchup? Memorial vs MD

Deepest postseason run? Or multiple deep runs? MD at least goes to semi-state, Memorial goes to regionals, Castle possibly goes to regionals

Hardest schedule? VL has the toughest schedule due to traveling and being the underdog

Team to beat in the SIAC? Has to be MD as a returning state runner up

Will Tango make his Chili in Jasper? I have no knowledge of this Tango Chili

Speaking of my Tigers, a couple important and as yet unanswered questions:

1) Who will start at QB?

2) Will Porter Rode be suiting up for the Tigers?  His hearing is May 3rd.

I’ve heard that Andy Owen has made a particular effort to thwart Rode’s transfer.  Does anybody know if Paul Neidig will be involved in the decision?  Him and Andy are obviously very close.

7 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Speaking of my Tigers, a couple important and as yet unanswered questions:

1) Who will start at QB?

2) Will Porter Rode be suiting up for the Tigers?  His hearing is May 3rd.

I’ve heard that Andy Owen has made a particular effort to thwart Rode’s transfer.  Does anybody know if Paul Neidig will be involved in the decision?  Him and Andy are obviously very close.

IHSAA: It's all about the kids.  Right? Right??

12 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

IHSAA: It's all about the kids.  Right? Right??

I found a story about the IHSAA transfer process.  One recent denial was overturned by a court, so they have been looking at revisiting the process.  One change they’ve made is that attorneys can’t be present for either party (which in itself seems ripe for a legal challenge…the IHSAA is a quasi-governmental agency).  Interestingly, the IHSAA maintains the right to consult their counsel, but the student does not.

Then I found this quote by Neidig:

“What I do know is there has to be a transfer process along the way,” Neidig said. “As soon as there’s not and the best kids within a large metropolitan community can gather on a team, the hope of winning a state championship if you’re at a smaller school or in a school that is more rural where the kids who grew up in that community and play in that community, is probably going to go away. In my mind, that’s not going to be very much fun anymore. All 407 of our schools ought to start the season with a chance — or at least a dream of success."

The written transfer policy says that a transfer can’t be deemed to have been “primarily for athletic reasons.”

But that quote from Neidig sounds like they’re actually more motivated by preventing concentration of the best athletes…so as to maintain competition.

So which is it?  Given the written policy, that sounds like a misguided comment for Neidig to make.

No wonder they’re moving to keep kids from having legal representation.

32 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I found a story about the IHSAA transfer process.  One recent denial was overturned by a court, so they have been looking at revisiting the process.  One change they’ve made is that attorneys can’t be present for either party (which in itself seems ripe for a legal challenge…the IHSAA is a quasi-governmental agency).  Interestingly, the IHSAA maintains the right to consult their counsel, but the student does not.

Then I found this quote by Neidig:

“What I do know is there has to be a transfer process along the way,” Neidig said. “As soon as there’s not and the best kids within a large metropolitan community can gather on a team, the hope of winning a state championship if you’re at a smaller school or in a school that is more rural where the kids who grew up in that community and play in that community, is probably going to go away. In my mind, that’s not going to be very much fun anymore. All 407 of our schools ought to start the season with a chance — or at least a dream of success."

The written transfer policy says that a transfer can’t be deemed to have been “primarily for athletic reasons.”

But that quote from Neidig sounds like they’re actually more motivated by preventing concentration of the best athletes…so as to maintain competition.

So which is it?  Given the written policy, that sounds like a misguided comment for Neidig to make.

No wonder they’re moving to keep kids from having legal representation.

Meet Michael Jasaitis the "region" lawyer with a 100% success rate against the IHSAA in transfer cases.  He is the guy Neidig no longer wants in the room so that he can bully unsophisticated parents.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2021/02/23/ihsaa-transfer-process-under-fire-claims-bullying-being-unprofessional-indiana-eligibility-review/6751342002/

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Meet Michael Jasaitis the "region" lawyer with a 100% success rate against the IHSAA in transfer cases.  He is the guy Neidig no longer wants in the room so that he can bully unsophisticated parents.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2021/02/23/ihsaa-transfer-process-under-fire-claims-bullying-being-unprofessional-indiana-eligibility-review/6751342002/

Thanks for the link -- a lot of good info there.  But also a lot of infuriating info too.  So, yeah, there's no wonder that the IHSAA has moved to prohibit lawyers from the hearings.  I'm surprised nobody has filed suit over that, considering the IHSAA's legal status as a quasi-governmental body.  It seems like some pretty thin ice to tell people they aren't entitled to legal counsel -- especially for something that may well end up in court.  And then to say that the IHSAA *is* entitled to confer with their general counsel?

Robert Baker sounds like a real peach.  Thank God they "retired" him after all this drama.

Still, the thing I keep coming back to is Neidig's comment that suggests their motivation is actually about competitiveness.  If that's the case, then how good an athlete is, how good the "sending" school is, how good the "receiving" school is...would likely play a huge role in determining their decision.

OK.  But the problem with this is that the written policy is facially neutral on all of those points.  No wonder the courts have been so hostile to some of the CRP's determinations.

20 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

This is exactly why the schools and IHSAA need to stay hell out of eligibility decisions. Owen doesn't care about what is best for Rode. He just doesn't want him to play at Memorial because Owen hates Memorial. 

By the way, why are kids precluded from switching schools when coaches aren't? Just this week, former Princeton girls basketball coach Brittney Maners took the same job at Jasper. From her comments in the paper, it is clear she felt Jasper offered a competitive environment that did not exist at Princeton. But so far, nobody has told her she has to sit out or only coach JV. Brunson coached at Mt. Vernon before taking the Reitz job (and Harrison before taking the MV job), Zirklebach coached at Reitz before taking the Central job, Schnur coached at North last season and is now moving to Princeton. Why aren't they limited to coaching JV? Obviously, that assertion is silly, but why is it not silly to tell a kid that? Especially when the kid only has a limited number of years to begin with?

23 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Been hearing that Fisher has been impressive so far and has gotten a lot bigger this offseason(Baseball had an effect on this)

Do you think there is any chance Fisher starts at QB over Ellsperman? I can't imagine that will happen with all of the experience Ellsperman got last year but he's a good enough athlete that he can play outside or even as a running back. Should be an interesting decision coming down the line. 

1 hour ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Do you think there is any chance Fisher starts at QB over Ellsperman? I can't imagine that will happen with all of the experience Ellsperman got last year but he's a good enough athlete that he can play outside or even as a running back. Should be an interesting decision coming down the line. 

Tigerfan20 hinted all last season from the get go that perhaps Ellsperman shouldn't be the guy.  Is Tigerfan20 Fisher's Dad? LOL

Edited by Titan32
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Tigerfan20 hinted all last season from the get go that perhaps Ellsperman shouldn't be the guy.  Is Tigerfan20 Fisher's Dad? LOL

I wouldn’t say Ellspermann shouldn’t be the guy. But I will admit that I had my doubts. Ellspermann is one heck of an athlete, he is QB1 for a reason. But this offseason will be interesting, in my opinion, Ellpsermann will remain QB1. I also like to stir up some conversations over the offseason too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Personally I wouldn’t count on it, then again, I am not a coach. I’ve only heard bits of information about Fisher and decided to share

10 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

I wouldn’t say Ellspermann shouldn’t be the guy. But I will admit that I had my doubts. Ellspermann is one heck of an athlete, he is QB1 for a reason. But this offseason will be interesting, in my opinion, Ellpsermann will remain QB1. I also like to stir up some conversations over the offseason too.

I suspect we’ll be seeing Fisher start.  He’s just got a better arm than Caleb does.  And they could easily utilize Caleb at another position.  Caleb is quick and elusive, has decent hands.

• Like 1

Just now, MHSTigerFan said:

I suspect we’ll be seeing Fisher start.  He’s just got a better arm than Caleb does.  And they could easily utilize Caleb at another position.  Caleb is quick and elusive, has decent hands.

We might see an 2019 situation with Pence/Stepto in the 2nd half of the season. I agree, Caleb is pretty quick, which I liked from what I saw when the season progressed, wonder what his 40 time is. Will be a fun summer once the unofficial practices begin

Fisher looks the part. Big kid with a good arm. Not afraid to tuck the ball and be a physical runner.  I’m guessing it’s going to be a pretty open competition for the 1st time in several years. Ellsperman is athletic enough to help in other spots but he’s also 1 half away from a state title game. Good to have tough decisions. Fisher looked impressive pitching opening day for the Tigers. Hard to believe he’s just a freshman. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Screagle said:

Fisher looks the part. Big kid with a good arm. Not afraid to tuck the ball and be a physical runner.  I’m guessing it’s going to be a pretty open competition for the 1st time in several years. Ellsperman is athletic enough to help in other spots but he’s also 1 half away from a state title game. Good to have tough decisions. Fisher looked impressive pitching opening day for the Tigers. Hard to believe he’s just a freshman. 

It is good to have tough decisions but it's also good to know who your starting QB is going into summer. QB is a decision I would like to have made early on. If Ellsperman is going to move he needs to have time wherever he is going to learn the new position a little. I have no doubt he will be on the field somewhere. 

40 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Speaking of a QB competition, it seems like at least a few teams will have some QB battles or question marks entering the season. The QB situations at each school may be a good topic of discussion.

North

Reitz

Bosse

VL

Castle

Harrison

Jasper- should be fine, heard it was intense last summer

Memorial- same page with Jasper, Ellspermann has the experience 

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

North

Reitz

Bosse

VL

Castle

Harrison

Jasper- should be fine, heard it was intense last summer

Memorial- same page with Jasper, Ellspermann has the experience 

Central has biggest questions. The sophomore to be, Davis, transferring to Reitz and Herdes is rumored to be focusing on baseball and basketball. 

39 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Central has biggest questions. The sophomore to be, Davis, transferring to Reitz and Herdes is rumored to be focusing on baseball and basketball. 

Interesting bit about Central, I know Herdes is an an excellent Baseball/Basketball player, so that doesn’t surprise me. The Davis news is new to me, so that will make the Reitz QB race more interesting 

40 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Interesting bit about Central, I know Herdes is an an excellent Baseball/Basketball player, so that doesn’t surprise me. The Davis news is new to me, so that will make the Reitz QB race more interesting 

It’s comedy at its best. The kid trying to get to Memorial will be denied full participation. Davis will be granted full release. Sounds  like Davis has been coached on how to make it work from a higher up in the evsc admin building.  It will be listed as an adjustment transfer. Situations likes this is  what makes being the face of the SIAC and SW Indiana football more enjoyable. All student athletes should be granted a 1 time transfer option. 

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

It’s comedy at its best. The kid trying to get to Memorial will be denied full participation....All student athletes should be granted a 1 time transfer option. 

It's worth pointing out that Porter Rode has transferred twice:  once from Westfield to Ev. Central after his freshman year, then from Ev. Central to Ev. Memorial after his 1st semester sophomore year.

But that's not why he's probably going to be denied eligibility.  Paul Neidig is a Central guy and so is his protege Andy Owen (who is pursuing this).  And it seems apparent that Neidig's vision for enforcing the transfer rule is less about how it reads and more about encouraging parity.  As such, he would seem likely to place a high value on the athlete's ability and the relative success of the sending and receiving schools.

But I guess that wasn't a problem when Javonte Madison transferred from struggling Bosse to the then-SIAC leader Central.