Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The SIAC Thread

16 hours ago, Alduflux said:

You should ask HH how good the bottom half of the conference is.

Oooo I see what you did there.  That said,  I think GS would have beat Jasper every year out of the last 11 except maybe one.  I posted a calpreps study with regard to that last year. Why do I feel like I need a bath after reading a Jasper guy pumping the SIAC….feels wrong? Don’t worry HH will be back with a fury this year.  Looks like Mt. Vernon will come away with a loss week 1.

28 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Oooo I see what you did there.  That said,  I think GS would have beat Jasper every year out of the last 11 except maybe one.  I posted a calpreps study with regard to that last year. Why do I feel like I need a bath after reading a Jasper guy pumping the SIAC….feels wrong? Don’t worry HH will be back with a fury this year.  Looks like Mt. Vernon will come away with a loss week 1.

I never mentioned Jasper.

All four things can be true at the same time, and it’s ok to admit. 

1. NP and MTV had their best teams in a decade, which jumped their Sagarin ratings for 2021.

2. Over the last decade, Seven (inc. Jasper) of the best 10 teams in SW Indiana are in the SIAC. 

3. GS won the 2021 3A state championship 

4. Those blue rings will shine just as bright, no matter who the competition was in the regular season and tournament 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

1. NP and MTV had their best teams in a decade, which jumped their Sagarin ratings for 2021.

2. Over the last decade, Seven (inc. Jasper) of the best 10 teams in SW Indiana are in the SIAC. 

4. Those blue rings will shine just as bright, no matter who the competition was in the regular season and tournament 

GSs strength of schedule looks about the same as the SIAC schools based on the chart above.  It’s a shame more PAC schools haven’t taken full advantage of that flexibility.

1 hour ago, Alduflux said:

I never mentioned Jasper.

Fair enough.

56 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

It is true the bottom dwellers in the SIAC are pulling the conference as a whole down.  Really no excuse for that based on the size of those schools.

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

Saw another SIAC commit today. Jay Smith of Reitz will continue his football career at Rose-Hulman. The engine that kept the Panthers going the past few seasons seems to be a perfect fit for the Fightin’ Engineers! 

Nice grab by Rose-Hulman

So yeah..haven't really been on here much to give my take on the SIAC exit rumors. I wanted to be sure that it was really going to happen and in fact was confirmed this week by administration. 

If I'm being honest it's bitter sweet...a little more bitter. Not exactly agreeing with the decision. As I've said on a few occasions, 2 years is not enough time to evaluate how competitive a school can be in any conference in any one sport. And for VL, the timing at which they entered the SIAC (through sheer bad luck) couldn't have been worse in the case of our football and basketball programs with a number of contributing factors. But unfortunately, that's just how it played out. I still feel it was the right decision to join the conference 2 years ago when the opportunity presented itself, and still believe we would've been competitive in the long run. Definitely going to miss the consistent 45 min - 1 hour travel times.

But to say I'm not intrigued by joining the PAC would be lie. Kind of feels like a 90's Big 8 reunion minus Jasper, which does feel like home.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

So yeah..haven't really been on here much to give my take on the SIAC exit rumors. I wanted to be sure that it was really going to happen and in fact was confirmed this week by administration. 

If I'm being honest it's bitter sweet...a little more bitter. Not exactly agreeing with the decision. As I've said on a few occasions, 2 years is not enough time to evaluate how competitive a school can be in any conference in any one sport. And for VL, the timing at which they entered the SIAC (through sheer bad luck) couldn't have been worse in the case of our football and basketball programs with a number of contributing factors. But unfortunately, that's just how it played out. I still feel it was the right decision to join the conference 2 years ago when the opportunity presented itself, and still believe we would've been competitive in the long run. Definitely going to miss the consistent 45 min - 1 hour travel times.

But to say I'm not intrigued by joining the PAC would be lie. Kind of feels like a 90's Big 8 reunion minus Jasper, which does feel like home.  

It was always going to be tough sledding as the smallest public school in the SIAC.  I think the football program was better prepared for the increased competition but not all sports were, which is why the withdrawal is happening IMO.

I hope the Alices are able to keep a few SIAC teams on their football schedule. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

Bosse DLmen Ashon Stewart and Hurley Esters both committed to play football at Bethel University. We knew Bosse had some talented players and it’s nice to see some colleges notice! Coach Mullen is a great fit to build that program and get his kids opportunities.

Glad seeing SIAC players moving up to the next level 

13 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

It was always going to be tough sledding as the smallest public school in the SIAC.  I think the football program was better prepared for the increased competition but not all sports were, which is why the withdrawal is happening IMO.

I hope the Alices are able to keep a few SIAC teams on their football schedule. 

Yes I do hope we keep our non-conference games with the SIAC. The no brainer is the the opener with Bosse. That was a non-con game even before joining the conference in 2020. Hoping to add another Evansville opponent similar in size to VL. The Alices will return nearly their entire starting roster from 2021 so a contract with a strong opponent would be beneficial. 

And of course..the VL/Jasper rivalry MUST stay intact at all costs…which is probably my biggest qualm with leaving the conference.  I know it’s been really one sided towards the Cats the last few years in both major sports, but traditionally these schools are back and forth cyclically. As I recall, the Salters led  2017 and 2018 Lincoln teams were a big reason why Tony Ahrens was ousted and Lewis was hired…lest we forget. And there was a point not that long ago that Jasper simply could not beat Lincoln in a meaningful basketball games.. so I’m begging that AD’s from both schools figure this out for football. Basketball less of a schedule problem. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

Yes I do hope we keep our non-conference games with the SIAC. The no brainer is the the opener with Bosse. That was a non-con game even before joining the conference in 2020. Hoping to add another Evansville opponent similar in size to VL. The Alices will return nearly their entire starting roster from 2021 so a contract with a strong opponent would be beneficial. 

And of course..the VL/Jasper rivalry MUST stay intact at all costs…which is probably my biggest qualm with leaving the conference.  I know it’s been really one sided towards the Cats the last few years in both major sports, but traditionally these schools are back and forth cyclically. As I recall, the Salters led  2017 and 2018 Lincoln teams were a big reason why Tony Ahrens was ousted and Lewis was hired…lest we forget. And there was a point not that long ago that Jasper simply could not beat Lincoln in a meaningful basketball games.. so I’m begging that AD’s from both schools figure this out for football. Basketball less of a schedule problem. 

Ahrens was not ousted and "reason why Tony Ahrens was ousted' is laughable.