Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA Board of Director's Meeting/Notes

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Enforced mediocrity. And it’s even a poor way to accomplish that. Some schools can afford better weight rooms than others. Will we begin regulating that soon? I look forward to someone demonstrating how the ability to have those kinds of experiences translates to an unfair competitive advantage on the field. After all, there are all kinds of things that give one school an advantage over another, but they’re not unfair.

It has been clearly established that schools of a higher socio economic profile outperform those at lower levels on the financial ladder.  

This is indisputable.  Of course, with some exceptions to the rule.

9 minutes ago, DT said:

It has been clearly established that schools of a higher socio economic profile outperform those at lower levels on the financial ladder.  

This is indisputable.  Of course, with some exceptions to the rule.

That is true academically and across the entire spectrum of extracurricular activities, including athletics. What’s the point?

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

No one’s arguing that. The discussion is about whether the travel restriction represents a wise policy. Things like you mentioned are definitely factors to be considered ... on the local level, not the one-size-fits-all approach the IHSAA rule currently imposes. And frankly, your “IHSAA, love it or leave it” approach adds nothing to a reasoned discussion of the subject.

Hmmm go figure, the shiesty lawyer manipulates my words. Good for you sport.

3 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

Attaboy, Latin, show you superiority. Ad hominem really doesn't  work in this case because I stated earlier, I have no position. The attacks were started by you when you misconstrued my position.

I addressed your statement that, if you don’t like the travel rule, try to get it changed and, failing that, either leave with it or get out of the IHSAA.. You responded by attacking me personally, e.g., “shiesty,” which means “unscrupulous.” It’s the very definition of an ad hominem argument. And it’s noteworthy that you still haven’t actually addressed the issue under discussion. My post was a fair characterization of your position, as expressed. If you didn’t express what you really meant, that’s your fault, not mine.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:18 AM, Bobref said:

No one’s arguing that. The discussion is about whether the travel restriction represents a wise policy. Things like you mentioned are definitely factors to be considered ... on the local level, not the one-size-fits-all approach the IHSAA rule currently imposes. And frankly, your “IHSAA, love it or leave it” approach adds nothing to a reasoned discussion of the subject.

Our school district has a robotics team attending the World Robotics competition in Detroit this weekend. They left yesterday so will miss 3 days of school this week. They missed a day twice in March/April already for a total of 5 missed days. Granted the competition is within the 300 mile range, but they are competing against teams from all over the world. I know they are outside the scope of the IHSAA but the same schools that make up the sports rule have no problem allowing these kids to miss school. Same with marching band competitions. I agree this should be a local issue and the IHSAA membership should approve this change.

• Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Our school district has a robotics team attending the World Robotics competition in Detroit this weekend. They left yesterday so will miss 3 days of school this week. They missed a day twice in March/April already for a total of 5 missed days. Granted the competition is within the 300 mile range, but they are competing against teams from all over the world. I know they are outside the scope of the IHSAA but the same schools that make up the sports rule have no problem allowing these kids to miss school. Same with marching band competitions. I agree this should be a local issue and the IHSAA membership should approve this change.

It's a total double standard for athletes. Unfortunately many people in education don't see the link between athletics and academics. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I don't understand this... There has already been a precedent set. When Muncie South consolidated into Muncie Central "mid-cycle", Muncie Central stayed in their class the next season.

Am I missing something here? I don't anticipate the new Elkhart High School to be in class 6A until the 2021 football season.

2 hours ago, JustRules said:

We have had some things similar at the school I teach at.

Our team traveled to Indianapolis Manual in 2013.  We left school a bit early (maybe 1/4 of the day early)????

Our then head coach requested for 1/2 day dismissal so we could take the kids and quickly tour LOS and stretch our legs and eat, and that was denied.....BUT

***and I preface this by saying this is an AWESOME opportunity for our students, but then again, so was potentially showing our student-athletes the AWE (explaining what it takes to play there over Thanksgiving Break) of LOS ***

We have BPA students that are allowed to miss school for multiple days to go to Nationals (this year in Anaheim, Ca. and last year in Tx.) and we have a club that does low mileage racing, and they were allowed to travel to California, 1 day after returning from Spring Break, missing that entire week of school.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, CoachJackson said:

It's a total double standard for athletes. Unfortunately many people in education don't see the link between athletics and academics. 

I'm giving you a "like" this way.  Sorry, I ran over my quota for the day apparently.

2 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I don't understand this... There has already been a precedent set. When Muncie South consolidated into Muncie Central "mid-cycle", Muncie Central stayed in their class the next season.

This mayyyy not be the answer but it's worth noting. I live in Muncie and I think the answer might just be in semantics. Muncie South never "consolidated" with Central it just "closed". That point was made clear by admin. So I don't know if that had anything to do with it since those kids had the freedom to go anywhere they wanted right away. Muncie Central is now about the same size they were before the closure of South.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:18 AM, Bobref said:

How do you propose changing the travel rule?

18 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

This mayyyy not be the answer but it's worth noting. I live in Muncie and I think the answer might just be in semantics. Muncie South never "consolidated" with Central it just "closed". That point was made clear by admin. So I don't know if that had anything to do with it since those kids had the freedom to go anywhere they wanted right away. Muncie Central is now about the same size they were before the closure of South.

image.png.e53f72094d0a3cc2617d8ec082b5fd17.png

While that may be true NOW, Muncie Central literally jumped 64 spots in the enrollment rankings from the '13-'14 alignment to the '15-'16 alignment. So in the 2014 season (a mid-cycle year), they were a 4A school playing with a 5A enrollment. 

My point is why do people think Elkhart is going to move from two 5A schools to 1 6A school mid-cylce in the 2020 football season? I don't see why they won't just play the 2020 season in 5A and then when the reclassification for 2021-2022 comes, they'll get moved up to 6A at that point.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

6 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

image.png.e53f72094d0a3cc2617d8ec082b5fd17.png

While that may be true NOW, Muncie Central literally jumped 64 spots in the enrollment rankings from the '13-'14 alignment to the '15-'16 alignment. So in the 2014 season (a mid-cycle year), they were a 4A school playing with a 5A enrollment. 

My point is why do people think Elkhart is going to move from two 5A schools to 1 6A school mid-cylce in the 2020 football season. I don't see why they won't just play the 2020 season in 5A and then when the reclassification for 2021-2022 comes, they'll get moved up to 6A at that point.

I dont understand what you are fighting here.  According to the classifications distributed by the IHSAA, Elkhart schools will play 5A in 2019 and then 6A in 2020 with Valpo moving down.  Not sure if you didnt see this or you are just against this?

51 minutes ago, SBFootball1 said:

I dont understand what you are fighting here.  According to the classifications distributed by the IHSAA, Elkhart schools will play 5A in 2019 and then 6A in 2020 with Valpo moving down.  Not sure if you didnt see this or you are just against this?

I must have missed this. Can you please provide a link? Thank you @SBFootball1 !

While AD at a school, my basketball teams would leave school early during the IHSAA tournament due to travel or "practice."  This was always a huge headache because the teachers hated that the students would leave early.  The coaches would take advantage of the situation i.e. the basketball teams would leave a day early for regional, semi-state and state.  The same teachers want their students to partake in other extracurricular activities.  There is an immense double standard. 

On 4/25/2019 at 7:36 AM, JustRules said:

Add FFA to the list as well

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Add FFA to the list as well

More field trips in 1 semester than I took in all my years in school (K-12).  GEESH.