Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

11 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

https://www.wbiw.com/2023/08/24/ihsaa-switches-bnl-to-sectional-24-for-upcoming-postseason-tournament-in-class-4a/?fbclid=IwAR0F1cFMSBtk8xOfJsy7aHTKkG5SOFCxY1d7lPYOAfpvA03L5WTLmEK12uk_aem_AePcFicbbSWbiJ0uShZskHsaEQo_T2PHmnUe87-2W6Zl6Z1f1n1q6I052LP0G0_9nYk

Not sure if you guys saw this but it looks like the IHSAA’s late decision to move Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger down to 4A for this postseason is affecting the sectional assignments for several other 4A teams. Connersville will now get bumped to sectional 23 which bumps BNL over to sectional 24 with the Evansville area schools.

Yeah. I've never heard of such a thing.  23 has the juggernaut EC.  24 doesn't have a juggernaut, but I think collectively the rest of the teams are better.

11 minutes ago, LawrenceGreene said:

Yeah. I've never heard of such a thing.  23 has the juggernaut EC.  24 doesn't have a juggernaut, but I think collectively the rest of the teams are better.

Agreed. I understand what the IHSAA was trying to do. However, I just don’t understand why they waited so late to make a decision. This should’ve been decided in June or July at the latest.

Edited by Frozen Tundra

18 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Agreed. I understand what the IHSAA was trying to do. However, I just don’t understand why they waited so late to make a decision. This should’ve been decided in June or July at the latest.

Why was it necessary to make this decision in June or July? Who has been disadvantaged by the timing of the change? What would be different if they announced this decision the day before the ping pong balls dropped?

19 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

That is odd to do it so late in the game.

Sectional/Regional changes for wrestling came out yesterday but that season is still a few months away.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Why was it necessary to make this decision in June or July? Who has been disadvantaged by the timing of the change? What would be different if they announced this decision the day before the ping pong balls dropped?

Per the article, BNL has prepared themselves for sectional 23 opponents. All of a sudden, in week 2 of the season, they’re now in sectional 24. This decision affected a bunch of teams and probably no team will be affected more than whoever gets the bye in 5A sectional 12. It becomes a three team sectional with one of them having two weeks off before finally playing a postseason game. Ask Bart Curtis and Warsaw how they liked being put in that position back in 2021.  Having talked to several of their fans, they weren’t happy about it and felt it ruined their momentum.

This decision-making by the IHSAA was amateur. Why did they wait so late to make this decision? Can you imagine the outcry if something like this happened at the collegiate or professional levels? Many people are confused as to why the decision was made so late, including those in the Fort Wayne area.

5 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Per the article, BNL has prepared themselves for sectional 23 opponents. All of a sudden, in week 2 of the season, they’re now in sectional 24.

Please. They have 8 weeks to get ready for sectionals.

This decision affected a bunch of teams and probably no team will be affected more than whoever gets the bye in 5A sectional 12. It becomes a three team sectional with one of them having two weeks off before finally playing a postseason game. Ask Bart Curtis and Warsaw how they liked being put in that position back in 2021.  Having talked to several of their fans, they weren’t happy about it and felt it ruined their momentum.

This is undoubtedly true. But it has to do with the decision itself, not the timing of the decision, which was my point. There would have been the same outcry if this decision had been made in March, and the effect would be the same.

This decision-making by the IHSAA was amateur. Why did they wait so late to make this decision? Can you imagine the outcry if something like this happened at the collegiate or professional levels? Many people are confused as to why the decision was made so late, including those in the Fort Wayne area.

People in the Ft. Wayne area are frequently confused. 🤣😂

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Per the article, BNL has prepared themselves for sectional 23 opponents. All of a sudden, in week 2 of the season, they’re now in sectional 24.

Please. They have 8 weeks to get ready for sectionals.

While I get they have eight weeks to get ready for sectionals, they’re also having to gameplan for their upcoming weekly opponents. I’ve never coached so I don’t have this insight but I wonder if coaches scout and prepare for sectional opponents in the offseason. Obviously teams and players change year to year but I get the sense that schemes are generally the same. Maybe that’s what BNL is alluding to here.

7 minutes ago, Bobref said:

But it has to do with the decision itself, not the timing of the decision, which was my point. There would have been the same outcry if this decision had been made in March, and the effect would be the same.

I agree that there still would’ve been an outcry but I, and many others, think it looks worse by waiting to do this in the middle of the season. The IHSAA had known for awhile that they needed to make a decision on the matter. Why wait until now? Dwenger had literally been getting votes in the 5A polls the last two weeks.

And as far as the decision itself is concerned, making a change in the middle of a classification period, rather than during the reclassification, opens the door to criticism. Again, I get what they were thinking but the consequences of this are a three-team sectional. That’s not ideal for anyone. If it can be helped, no team should have to sit out two straight weeks in the postseason. This could’ve been helped.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

https://www.wbiw.com/2023/08/24/ihsaa-switches-bnl-to-sectional-24-for-upcoming-postseason-tournament-in-class-4a/?fbclid=IwAR0F1cFMSBtk8xOfJsy7aHTKkG5SOFCxY1d7lPYOAfpvA03L5WTLmEK12uk_aem_AePcFicbbSWbiJ0uShZskHsaEQo_T2PHmnUe87-2W6Zl6Z1f1n1q6I052LP0G0_9nYk

Not sure if you guys saw this but it looks like the IHSAA’s late decision to move Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger down to 4A for this postseason is affecting the sectional assignments for several other 4A teams. Connersville will now get bumped to sectional 23 which bumps BNL over to sectional 24 with the Evansville area schools.

Absolutely ridiculous to change them midseason. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

I mean... we watch film, and come up with game plans/ideas/everything before the season starts for sectional opponents... 

This is not something the IHSAA should have done, and if so, it should have been done no later than the end of last school year, but it is the IHSAA. 

Who has been disadvantaged by the timing? Umm BNL, pretty substantially. 

Edited by btownqbcoach1
  • Like 1

BNL (0-1) at 5A #9/#10 Bloomington North (1-0)

Brown County (0-1) at Jennings County (1-0)

3A #1 Christian Academy of Louisville (1-0) at New Albany (0-1)

Columbus North (0-1) at Columbus East (0-1)

Seymour (0-1) at Jeffersonville (0-1)

Terre Haute South (0-1) at Floyd Central (0-1)

• Thanks 1

BNL looks disadvantaged at moment, but we never know about those tricky little balls the IHSAA, in it's infinite wisdom, uses to determine the draw. Sometimes they bounce and may make BNL play at East Central first round or they may put BNL in a bracket with the 3 other weakest teams of sectional 24 and home advantaged.