HHC Scrimmage Schedule:

Mitchell at BNL

Martinsville at Columbus East

Floyd Central at Charlestown

Jeffersonville at Whiteland

Jennings County at Brownstown Central

New Albany at Scottsburg

Silver Creek at Seymour

I’ll be at Floyd Central/Charlestown. Should be fun. The two teams are similar.

I attended the Floyd Central vs Charlestown scrimmage. I had a feeling it would be a competitive scrimmage and I was right. Both teams looked solid. Charlestown is a contender to win the MSC and their sectional. My biggest takeaway was how much bigger and stronger Floyd Central looked. Their RB Mitch Bernardi is a load to try to tackle. Their OL looks like a typical HHC OL. A couple of pretty big guys and some regular size guys. But they played well. Robertson looks a lot bigger and a lot more confident for them. He looked more accurate, especially with his deep ball. Their WRs are really good. A lot of experience there. Jordan Fonda should be a standout in the HHC this season. They had a SO who is also the backup QB starting at WR. Very athletic kid at 6”4.

Defensively they played fairly well, but there is some work to be done, especially in pass coverage. Biggest takeaway was the size of their DTs. One guy is about 6”4 315. And the Other guy is about 6”1 260. And they have another guy that was sick, that is 6”4 295. So they have some girth in the middle and they’re hard to run against. Their LB core of Hausz, Bernardi, and Lockhart is very good. All 3 guys are over 200 lbs and can run. Their secondary is basically made up from their WR core. There are some athletes back there but they’ll need to continue to work to improve.

I don’t seem them doing very well against the typical Louisville Male who basically destroys everyone they play, or Louisville Manual who is typically pretty good. But in the HHC where everyone is basically a matchup opponent, they’ll have their chances to win several games.

With that being said. I’ll give my HHC predictions.

1. Seymour. I’d like to be a Homer and pick FC. But Seymour was the first team to knock off East finally. And I think they have a good team on paper and a good QB in Brett Perry. Their schedule sets up good for them. So I’ll go with Seymour.

2. Floyd Central. The biggest non-homer reason I’m picking them, is because East comes to Floyd Central and I think this is the year that FC will break that losing streak.  

3. Columbus East. I’m picking them here based off reputation. I think that East will have good teams and win HHC Championships, but everyone seems to be a on a more level playing field with them Post-Gaddis. Replacing Parks, McDonald, and Villarreal will be big for them.

4. BNL. I like their team this season. Their QB was very good last season and he’s a Jr now and I think they could easily upset one of these top 3.

5. New Albany. They’re rebuilding but they’ve brought in a couple of good transfers that will help. Defensively they’ll be pretty decent but offensively they are young and have some questions to answer.

6. Jeffersonville. Coach Parker has brought discipline there but they are replacing some good players off a team that wasn’t very good. A lot of questions about them and the answers haven’t come yet.

7. Jennings County. Based on reputation. I don’t know what they have coming back, but they are the perennial basement team. Nice community up there so I’m hoping they can make some moves to get competitive again.

Updated my list after the scrimmages and info I have heard about East.

1. Columbus East (was told they will be solid this year, and looked good in the scrimmage… Chase Harrison is an absolute monster)

2. Seymour (They return a lot like East, from a solid campaign last year) 

3. Floyd (always has the athletes, injury bug seems to bite them some each year) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

1. Columbus East (was told they will be solid this year, and looked good in the scrimmage… Chase Harrison is an absolute monster)

3. Floyd (always has the athletes, injury bug seems to bite them some each year) 

Yeah that’s a big key for sure. We need to stay healthy. As is the case for most HHC teams because good depth is hard to come by.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:07 AM, Olympian06 said:

Seymour's Jaylon Johnson broke his fibula during the scrimmage against silver creek so that will definitely hurt the owls hes a very good player on both sides of the ball.

2 hours ago, Owls2005 said:

Seymour's Jaylon Johnson broke his fibula during the scrimmage against silver creek so that will definitely hurt the owls hes a very good player on both sides of the ball.

That really blows. Hate to hear that even if it benefits East’s chances of beating them. Hopefully he can heal up quickly and be ready to go at full-speed next year. 

Also, it’s nice to see a Seymour fan on here. I wish we could get fans from the other schools on here. New Albany, Jeffersonville, and Jennings County are severely lacking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Owls2005 said:

That’s terrible to hear, he is an outstanding player. Hopefully he heals up quickly and is back up to full speed soon! 

If there’s one word to describe this year’s Stars team, its’s capable. We’re very capable of a winning season.  An improved season (4-6 last year) would be a .500 season.  We’re very capable of exceeding that. We’re capable both physically and mentally.

It’s the 2nd year under Coach Barker.  Off season workouts saw an increase in numbers and enthusiasm.  We dominated Mitchell on both sides of the ball in the scrimmage.  Something we should do every year, but it hasn’t always been the case.  

Offense: We’re capable of scoring a lot of points.  We have a lot of depth at the skill positions.  We have a solid OL, but not a lot of depth.

Defense:  We’re very capable.  The players have been in the right positions (lining up, covering, staying home, etc.).  This tells me they have been listening to their coaches, and they have some football IQ.

All through the summer up to the scrimmage, and I assume as of week 1, we have 11 guys playing offense and 11 different guys playing defense.  Obviously there will be some guys get in on both sides of the ball, but we have the means to limit that.

As far as the Martinsville game, I don’t want to sound too cliché, but it will be a good indicator of how this team is going to react. We’ll find out how we’ll react to good competition, adversity, mistakes, etc.

Side note: The Juniors and Seniors were 7th and 8th graders when Bedford first consolidated the 3 Jr. High teams into one.  The first two classes to reap the benefits of that program.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LawrenceGreene said:

If there’s one word to describe this year’s Stars team, its’s capable. We’re very capable of a winning season.  An improved season (4-6 last year) would be a .500 season.  We’re very capable of exceeding that. We’re capable both physically and mentally.

It’s the 2nd year under Coach Barker.  Off season workouts saw an increase in numbers and enthusiasm.  We dominated Mitchell on both sides of the ball in the scrimmage.  Something we should do every year, but it hasn’t always been the case.  

Offense: We’re capable of scoring a lot of points.  We have a lot of depth at the skill positions.  We have a solid OL, but not a lot of depth.

Defense:  We’re very capable.  The players have been in the right positions (lining up, covering, staying home, etc.).  This tells me they have been listening to their coaches, and they have some football IQ.

All through the summer up to the scrimmage, and I assume as of week 1, we have 11 guys playing offense and 11 different guys playing defense.  Obviously there will be some guys get in on both sides of the ball, but we have the means to limit that.

As far as the Martinsville game, I don’t want to sound too cliché, but it will be a good indicator of how this team is going to react. We’ll find out how we’ll react to good competition, adversity, mistakes, etc.

Side note: The Juniors and Seniors were 7th and 8th graders when Bedford first consolidated the 3 Jr. High teams into one.  The first two classes to reap the benefits of that program.

Thanks for the info! I was hoping to hear what was going on at BNL. It’s been too quiet around here.

5 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

That really blows. Hate to hear that even if it benefits East’s chances of beating them. Hopefully he can heal up quickly and be ready to go at full-speed next year. 

Also, it’s nice to see a Seymour fan on here. I wish we could get fans from the other schools on here. New Albany, Jeffersonville, and Jennings County are severely lacking.

I tell you what. This conference is going to be ridiculously competitive. There isn’t a clear favorite. I’m not sure you can really sort them 1-5 because it’s going to be messy. New Albany and Jeffersonville you would think are down. But I do my homework. NA returns 8 starters on defense. They also added two of Louisville Males best players to that defense. Their OL is big. Their QB and RB are first year players but they are athletic. Jeffersonville has a 230 lb RB with 4.7 speed and an OL with its smallest player being 260 lbs. Floyd Central is a lot bigger then they usually are, especially on their DL. Their QB has a cannon and their RB is a 210 lb animal. East has a lot back. Big strong kids. Probably the best LB in the conference. BNL is going to be better because they had some promising games last season and brought a lot back. Seymour brought a lot back. Really good young QB and a SO that I believe was an All State WR as a Freshman? This conference will be nuts. Some of the results will be suprising IMO.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:24 AM, Frozen Tundra said:

Here are this week’s games. I’ll run the pick ‘em contest again this year. Make sure to have them in before kickoff each Friday night. As for me, I’ll probably wait to give mine on Friday mornings or afternoons.

A6B3BAEB-F6DF-491E-A53C-75514807BCDD.jpeg

Bloomington South (I would be surprised if NA wins more than 4-5 games all year)

Bell County (because it’s Jeff) 

South Dearborn (I really have no clue) 

Male (It will be Floyd’s toughest task they face all year) 

Martinsville (Again, I have zero clue on this one)

Seymour (even with the Stud player hurt, I think they will win this game)

Whiteland (This will be East’s best team they face in the regular season as Whiteland is preseason #6) 

Good Luck all. 

On 8/15/2022 at 10:24 AM, Frozen Tundra said:

Here are this week’s games. I’ll run the pick ‘em contest again this year. Make sure to have them in before kickoff each Friday night. As for me, I’ll probably wait to give mine on Friday mornings or afternoons.

A6B3BAEB-F6DF-491E-A53C-75514807BCDD.jpeg

Bloomington South

Bell County

South Dearborn

Louisville Male

Martinsville

Greenwood

Whiteland

Week 1 Picks

Bloomington South at New Albany: The Panthers lead the all-time series 6-3 but the Bulldogs have won two of the last three. New Albany lost too many key players from last year’s team so Bloomington South is my pick.

Jeffersonville at #6 Bell County (KY): This is the first ever meeting between the Red Devils and the Bobcats. Bell County went 10-3 last year and seems to be one of the more decent teams in Kentucky’s 3A classification. If it wasn’t already enough of an uphill battle for Jeff, they have to make the 3 hour drive southeast to a Kentucky county that borders Virginia and Tennessee. Bell County wins.

Jennings County at South Dearborn: The Knights lead the all-time series 4-2 and have won the last two against the Panthers (both sectional first round games). While the two teams haven’t met on the gridiron in four years, this is actually the first regular season meeting since 1980. Neither team has ever won three straight in the series but I think it happens this year. Hard to pick JC with the revolving door of coaches they’ve had lately. South Dearborn gets the win.

#2 Louisville Male (KY) at Floyd Central: The second-best team in Kentucky’s 6A classification comes into Floyds Knobs for their nearly annual beatdown of the Highlanders. Aside from the 2020 COVID year, these two have played every year since 2010 and the Bulldogs lead the series 10-1. FC earned a seven-point win in 2011 but Male has won all their games by 19 or more points. The average score since 2012? 45-7. Why is this game still being played? Male gets another big win this year.

Martinsville at Bedford North Lawrence: Speaking of one-sided series, the Artesians have a 19-3 advantage over the Stars. Martinsville has won the last six and you have to go back to 1992 to find the last BNL win. The Stars may be improved but I don’t think they end the losing streak. Martinsville wins.

Seymour at Greenwood: This is the first ever regular season meeting between the two schools. The only history they have together is a sectional championship win by the Woodmen in 1988 and a sectional semifinal win by the Owls in 2001. Even with a healthy Jaylan Johnson, I’m not sure I’d Seymour to win. Greenwood is the pick.

#5/#6 Whiteland at Columbus East: The Warriors have won three straight against the Olympians and lead the all-time series 7-4. As the student population at Whiteland rapidly grows, it doesn’t make things any easier for East. The Warriors were already tough to stop because of their offensive trickery, but their offensive line just seems to get bigger every year. If you can’t control the line of scrimmage against them you’re toast. Whiteland gets another easy win over East.

Bloomington South at New Albany

Jeffersonville at Bell County (Ky.)

Jennings County at South Dearborn

Louisville Male (Ky.) at Floyd Central

Martinsville at Bedford NL

Seymour at Greenwood

Whiteland at Columbus East

Ouch... not a lot of faith in the ol' HHC this week. 

8 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Week 1 Picks

Bloomington South at New Albany: The Panthers lead the all-time series 6-3 but the Bulldogs have won two of the last three. New Albany lost too many key players from last year’s team so Bloomington South is my pick.

Jeffersonville at #6 Bell County (KY): This is the first ever meeting between the Red Devils and the Bobcats. Bell County went 10-3 last year and seems to be one of the more decent teams in Kentucky’s 3A classification. If it wasn’t already enough of an uphill battle for Jeff, they have to make the 3 hour drive southeast to a Kentucky county that borders Virginia and Tennessee. Bell County wins.

Jennings County at South Dearborn: The Knights lead the all-time series 4-2 and have won the last two against the Panthers (both sectional first round games). While the two teams haven’t met on the gridiron in four years, this is actually the first regular season meeting since 1980. Neither team has ever won three straight in the series but I think it happens this year. Hard to pick JC with the revolving door of coaches they’ve had lately. South Dearborn gets the win.

The only history they have together is a sectional championship win by the Woodmen in 1988

Joe Goodman was one of the most organized well prepared men I’ve ever met. That being said couldn’t coach by the seat of his pants to save his life. Field was a quagmire, Greenwood adjust, Seymour didn’t. That Seymour team was loaded.  

B South-no idea about team. After Coach Mo, and lost two of top players in state-big question mark about where going?

Whiteland-thought they returned a lot of key players. 

Martinsville-made me realize last loss to Bedford was Haniford's freshman year when he displaced a senior friend of mine. Before he learned he could just lob ball up and Smith and WIlliams could go get it. 

56 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Joe Goodman was one of the most organized well prepared men I’ve ever met. That being said couldn’t coach by the seat of his pants to save his life. Field was a quagmire, Greenwood adjust, Seymour didn’t. That Seymour team was loaded.  

Joe had some really good teams up there though.