Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Rumor: UCLA/USC to the Big Ten in 2024

temptation

1 minute ago, Boilernation said:

Haha...that would be great. They've always relished the idea of being unique with their standalone NBC deal and independent football schedule. Force them into the Big Ten, SEC, or a bandaged ACC for football and now they're just like everyone else. 

Yesterday’s news surely got the wheels turning in the minds of all athletic directors across the county and ND is no longer immune.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

This all seems plausible, but I think plausibility is out the window at this point. The Big Ten is likely going to bring in somebody out of Oregon, Washington, Arizona State and Arizona. I'm sure they're still working on the white whales of North Carolina and Virginia. At some point Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and yes even Notre Dame will be forced into picking a side. 

Ultimately, I understand why it's assumed the ACC  and left overs of the Big 12/Pac 12 will be the last 2 super conferences next to the Big Ten and SEC. But, is two watered down leagues a reality? The Big Ten and SEC will still hold all of the invitations and decide who gets into the party, which makes those leagues irrelevant. That's why I strongly feel we're heading towards two super conferences that just break away from everyone else.

I saw someone post that Washington and Oregon applied as well. Any truth to it? Not sure, but it makes sense. I agree with DT, the conference is looking to get to 20 schools. Lukewarm on Kansas. Honestly, I take OK State before them. Kansas gives you something in basketball from time to time, but the other sports lag behind. 

B10 Ten I believe is content with more than 20 teams. Cornering the West coast market by adding Cal/Stanford/Oregon/Washington makes a ton of sense.

Doing this is going to force the SEC too expand even more and I see them adding Clemson, Miami, and Florida State sometime in the next year or two. 

UVa, UNC, and Duke are closer to SEC territory but academics align more with the B10, could see the B10 making a move for those 3 as well as the ACC will have now been blown up. 

This will force ND to make a decision one way or another.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

B10 Ten I believe is content with more than 20 teams. Cornering the West coast market by adding Cal/Stanford/Oregon/Washington makes a ton of sense.

Doing this is going to force the SEC too expand even more and I see them adding Clemson, Miami, and Florida State sometime in the next year or two. 

UVa, UNC, and Duke are closer to SEC territory but academics align more with the B10, could see the B10 making a move for those 3 as well as the ACC will have now been blown up. 

This will force ND to make a decision one way or another.

But they would then have to give up those fierce rivalries against Navy, Stanford, Boston College and FSU to play a combo of OSU, UM, MSU, PSU and USC annually.

They escaping that gauntlet with less than two losses more often than not?

15 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

If true BTN gets west coast media market, think in terms of BTN in TV’s in LA County. If the. If Big Ten pulls this off, they are in the two largest media markets in the Western Hemisphere. 

3 largest in US correct?  NY, LA and Chicago

Not to mention other metropolitan areas to include Wash DC, Baltimore, Detroit, Columbus, Indy, Minneapolis/St. Paul

23 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I saw someone post that Washington and Oregon applied as well. Any truth to it? Not sure, but it makes sense. I agree with DT, the conference is looking to get to 20 schools. Lukewarm on Kansas. Honestly, I take OK State before them. Kansas gives you something in basketball from time to time, but the other sports lag behind. 

I guess it depends on how important the Association of American Universities is to the Big 10.  Both USC and UCLA has it.  The only school in the Big 10 that currently does not possess it is Nebraska, and they lost their after joining the Big 10.  My understanding is that there is pressure for them to get it back.

After Texas and Oklahoma joined the SEC, only Kansas from the Big 12 has the membership.  So I guess it depends on the importance.  With the Big 10 announcement yesterday about USC and UCLA, this association was certainly included.

Washington and Oregon are both members.....so is Stanford and Berkeley...both in major metro areas.

https://www.si.com/college/northwestern/football/what-the-association-of-american-universities-has-to-do-with-big-ten-expansion

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I guess it depends on how important the Association of American Universities is to the Big 10.  Both USC and UCLA has it.  The only school in the Big 10 that currently does not possess it is Nebraska, and they lost their after joining the Big 10.  My understanding is that there is pressure for them to get it back.

After Texas and Oklahoma joined the SEC, only Kansas from the Big 12 has the membership.  So I guess it depends on the importance.  With the Big 10 announcement yesterday about USC and UCLA, this association was certainly included.

Washington and Oregon are both members.....so is Stanford and Berkeley...both in major metro areas.

https://www.si.com/college/northwestern/football/what-the-association-of-american-universities-has-to-do-with-big-ten-expansion

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

Colorado has it and have read on Twitter a school the B10 wants. I think there are better options but Denver market makes some sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

I would think they would go to the ACC. 

As far as the PAC 12, I think the remaining teams there and the ones left in the Big 12 will combine. 

I would have thought so as well, but I noticed when the ACC just announced its doing away from divisions in football, they named each schools partner schools they would play annually.  ND was not included.  I realize they could change this quickly.

I thought the Big 10 said no to ND a few years back over ND's refusal to give up their NBC contract.  Does that seem accurate?  I am thinking ND may no longer hold the cards and I am reading speculation about ND and the Big 10 in the media.....

10 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I would have thought so as well, but I noticed when the ACC just announced its doing away from divisions in football, they named each schools partner schools they would play annually.  ND was not included.  I realize they could change this quickly.

I thought the Big 10 said no to ND a few years back over ND's refusal to give up their NBC contract.  Does that seem accurate?  I am thinking ND may no longer hold the cards and I am reading speculation about ND and the Big 10 in the media.....

No, ND no longer holds the cards 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

I could end up being wrong, but I think Kansas has no value. Their academics aren't Pac 12/ACC caliber, the only valuable TV market they provide is Kansas City, and they are basically just a men's basketball school. I don't see a place at mega conference table for them. 

Kansas is indeed a member of the Association of American Universities.  There is criteria that must be met to maintain membership.  I agree about the sports....

I would think there are more attractive targets such as Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Stanford and UC Berkeley.  (academics, larger markets and more comprehensive sports programs)

I know it’s way down the priority list of the higher ups involved, but as a fan what I dislike most about this is the obvious schedule imbalances it will create in football.

if ND and others indeed join the mix, they’ve gotta go to a 3/4 division format.

Having ND, OSU, PSU, MSU and UM play annually is a kamikaze mission.

Go 20 and have 4 divisions of 5 teams.  Each team plays its own division once and has a protected crossover along with 3 other home/home contests annually.

Something like this:

East: Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Ohio State, UNC/UVA?

Central: Michigan, MSU, ND, Indiana, Purdue

North, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern

West: UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington, Nebraska 

Edited by temptation

As the travel increases for teams to compete, do we foresee a future in which a number of lower $$ generating sports could either be dropped or regionalized?

For example, SEC does not have wrestling.  Oklahoma will be forced to become an independent or join another conference for wrestling.  Missouri a few years ago when they joined the SEC, had their wrestling team compete in the MAC.  Their wrestling program is now a member of the Big 12 conference again as they used to be prior to their SEC membership.  Even the Big 12 wrestling conference is a mixture of Big 12 and non-Big 12 schools as affliate members.  (Missouri, Air Force, Wyoming, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, etc.)

I just find it hard to believe that some of the lower generating sports will travel from coast to coast to compete, and during the weeknights.

43 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Kansas is indeed a member of the Association of American Universities.  There is criteria that must be met to maintain membership.  I agree about the sports....

I would think there are more attractive targets such as Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Stanford and UC Berkeley.  (academics, larger markets and more comprehensive sports programs)

I did not know that about Kansas. Based on Academic prestige, athletic success and location, I would think the Big Ten has their eyes set on North Carolina and Virginia. I'm cool with just about anyone from the PAC 12 other than UC Berkeley. Ground Zero of liberal elitism, no thanks. My personal preference from the Pac 12 would be: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

I did not know that about Kansas. Based on Academic prestige, athletic success and location, I would think the Big Ten has their eyes set on North Carolina and Virginia. I'm cool with just about anyone from the PAC 12 other than UC Berkeley. Ground Zero of liberal elitism, no thanks. My personal preference from the Pac 12 would be: 

1. Washington
  2. Arizona
  3. Oregon
  4. Utah
  5. Colorado

Miami, Clemson and Florida State are likely heading to the SEC, which will kick that conference up to 19 schools.  

The Big 12 will likely pick up the remaining Pac12 inventory after Washington and Oregon join SC and UCLA in the Big.

Oregon State, Wash State, Cal, Stanford, AZ , AZ State, Colorado, Utah

25 minutes ago, DT said:

Miami, Clemson and Florida State are likely heading to the SEC, which will kick that conference up to 19 schools.  

The Big 12 will likely pick up the remaining Pac12 inventory after Washington and Oregon join SC and UCLA in the Big.

Oregon State, Wash State, Cal, Stanford, AZ , AZ State, Colorado, Utah

That conference won't survive. 

B10 will take Cal and Stanford and there is reported interest in Colorado as well. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

That conference won't survive. 

B10 will take Cal and Stanford and there is reported interest in Colorado as well. 

Iva always liked Colorado

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Campus fun as hell. Not sure the sports draw, but Denver is a booming city with a ton of Midwest transplants. Adding that market makes a decent deal of sense. 

I caught a Colorado-Nebraska Big 12 game in Boulder back in early 2000s  Very cool atmosphere.  They hate the Huskers out there.  That would be a great new rivalry to rekindle.  Nebraska-Iowa just does not have the passion and hate that Neb-COL or NEB-OU had.  

Cool.  4 divisions of 6 it is.

Three non-conference games, 5 against your division, 1 protected cross over, 2 random home and homes from the remaining two divisions.

Thanksgiving weekend you have your four division winners play on neutral fields (plus match up the finishing order and let those teams play).

Two winners from those division semi final matchups play in a winner take all game in Pasadena.

Boom.  Done. 

Edited by temptation

The Rose Bowl has traditionally been the goal of each conference’s champion so keep that in tact.

How cool would this set up be?

Thursday:  5th/6th place division teams play

Friday:  3rd/4th place division teams play

Saturday:  1st/2nd place teams play

12 games in 3 days.

Edited by temptation

35 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

This is stupid. 

Sorta agree but the conference members would be members in name only.  In the scenario I presented above, the 24 schools are “members” of the Big Ten but in reality they are just under the same umbrella until the important dates on the calendar.

ACC/SEC/Big 12 do the same and you have your 96.

”Choosing” the playoff field would be simply the four conference winners.

10 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I could end up being wrong, but I think Kansas has no value. Their academics aren't Pac 12/ACC caliber, the only valuable TV market they provide is Kansas City, and they are basically just a men's basketball school. I don't see a place at mega conference table for them. 

I agree, Kansas adds very little to the B1G. The B1G is after TV sets, so I see them going for the Seattle market (Washington), Phoenix market (AZ State or AZ), TX market (TCU or Houston) then either ND or BC for more East coast exposure. 

ND could be left out, they shunned B1G after a few attempts, maybe B1G moves on without them??