Memorial is still a 10 point favorite over North

15 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Updated Lines:

Jasper is now a 32 point favorite over Harrison, was -24

Central is now a 35 point favorite over Bosse, was -3

Reitz is now a 7 point favorite over Vincennes, was at -14

Castle is still a 3 point favorite over Mater Dei

Memorial is still a 10 point favorite over North

Take North +10. We will be even thinner this week. 

Castle @ Mater Dei - First to score 3 TDs wins? I expect a low scoring battle with the Wildcats coming away with the win. 

Harrison @ Jasper - unfortunately for the Warriors this will make two running clocks in a row to start their season. 

Central @ Bosse - Both teams going through some struggles but have some good pieces. I think this one will be close throughout but the Bears win by a few scores in the end. 

Memorial @ North - Memorial is without some key players. Do they have enough to beat a talented North squad who will be hungry after a close loss? I think the Huskies get into the win column here. I expect them to lean heavily on the RB St. Louis. 

Reitz @ Vincennes - The Panthers blew out the Alices last year. Both teams return/gain experienced talent. Alices are a sneaky upset pick every week I think. But some things I question: Can the Alices deal with the speed Reitz has? Can they score on the experienced Reitz defense? I predict Reitz wins but I do think the Alices are right in this game at half. 

6 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

I guess it’s time to ride on the Alices train too, any space available?

5 hours ago, combthehair said:

I think we are going to have to ask @SEAL_63

I think we need to see a few more games…happy to see a little optimism thrown our way but we’ve got the conference dark horse and favorite coming to town the next two weeks. Should learn a lot about this team.  

19 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

I think we need to see a few more games…happy to see a little optimism thrown our way but we’ve got the conference dark horse and favorite coming to town the next two weeks. Should learn a lot about this team.  

If the Alices do well against Reitz, I think the Alices can grab a couple wins in the regular/playoffs 

9 minutes ago, AW0352 said:

This should be a pretty telling week for a few teams.   
Is Castle for real? 
is Memorial or North in a better position to make a run at the SIAC with some help? 
Is Reitz back? 

I underestimated Gordon, he did really well in his first career start, didn’t know what happened, but it looked like North exploded in the 2H and almost came back to win it. Beat Mater Dei this week, and we will have our answer on Castle.

In terms of health, North is in a better position currently. Memorial might be in the danger zone if they lose on Friday.

While Reitz obliterated Harrison, jury still stands for the Panthers. Getting Jasper at home in Week 3 is going to be one fun game to watch. However, could Reitz be overlooking an experienced VL team this week? We shall see 

MasseyRating lines:

Memorial (-6) at North, 61% chance of winning for the Tigers

Central (-11) at Bosse, 72% chance of winning for the Bears

Reitz (-7) at Vincennes, 63% chance of winning for the Panthers 

Castle at Mater Dei (-2), 54% chance of winning for the Wildcats

Harrison at Jasper (-27), 96% chance of winning for the Wildcats

2 hours ago, AW0352 said:

This should be a pretty telling week for a few teams.   
Is Castle for real? 
is Memorial or North in a better position to make a run at the SIAC with some help? 
Is Reitz back? 

Castle is solid but we will find out more this week. Huge chance to prove that they are "for real" against MD. But for many fans/media folks to consider a 5A school for real, they should be able to beat smaller schools in their conference and be a legit threat to make it to regionals.

North is in a better position until Memorial has all their guys back. North has talent and a solid running game, but can they pass when they need to? How is their defense? Just some questions we may have still. And at this point I think Memorial only cares about getting hot and healthy at mid to late season going into playoffs.

Reitz might be for real. But again, they will have to beat some top dogs to prove it. Next few weeks will show more obviously. If they go to VL and win by 3+ scores and then at least give Jasper a close game, I think you can definitely start to argue that they're legit. Have to remember, they were within 1 score with 4 min left in the game at Jasper last year, and also had close losses with North and MD. That team was on the fringe, and this team returned a lot of those players plus had some huge additions.

Edited by Football Fanatic

11 minutes ago, combthehair said:

Has there ever been any talk in Evansville of combining MD and Memorial into one school, putting it in the middle of the city, and just dominating? I might become bishop just to do that. 

Not to my knowledge.  Crazy thing though is that you could combine MD and Memorial and still have less students (1050 or so) than Harrison, Central, Reitz, or North.  Only would be bigger than Bosse.  What's Jasper's current enrollment?  Probably right around that, at least last time I checked.

25 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Not to my knowledge.  Crazy thing though is that you could combine MD and Memorial and still have less students (1050 or so) than Harrison, Central, Reitz, or North.  Only would be bigger than Bosse.  What's Jasper's current enrollment?  Probably right around that, at least last time I checked.

We are around 1100. We are just a bit smaller than central. 

15 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

There was a proposal to close MD back in the late 60s and move the kids to the Rex Mundi HS, but that did not go over well and they ended up closing Rex Mundi instead even though it was a much newer school.   

Would lose a lot of St. Philip, St. Wendel and St Joe kids just because of the distance.

2 hours ago, combthehair said:

Has there ever been any talk in Evansville of combining MD and Memorial into one school, putting it in the middle of the city, and just dominating? I might become bishop just to do that. 

Not recently, at least by anyone who has been involved in the boards that govern the school through the diocese. Geographically Memorial is very close to the center of Evansville as is and building a new school solely from private capital contributions would be next to impossible. Both schools have very loyal alumni bases that support their school at very high levels. If either school closed, there might be some migration to the other, but by and large most of the migration would be to public schools. SIG School would pull non-athletes from both. If either closed, the trickle down effect to the feeder parishes would be significant. Mater Dei has had good, strong leadership for some time. Finally, after several years of very poor President/Principal leadership, Memorial has new people in place and the energy in the building and in the school community is very high. Our enrollment should continue to increase as it did this year for the foreseeable future.    

What I think would happen if the diocese was ever forced to look at scarce education funding issues is that both schools might cease being "parochial" (supported in part by the parishes) and become "private" (no diocesan support). This is the same as what they have in Indy with Cathedral (private) and Chatard, Scecina, Ritter, Roncalli (all parochial). I would have no problem with Memorial cutting ties to the diocese and being a private school like Cathedral. Being tied at the hip might in some ways be a detriment to each school in different ways.  

It is definitely an interesting thought. Raises lots of issues and ramifications.