Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

I often come across items, somewhat like the "Something Uplifting" items that catch my attention as interesting, but probably don't warrant starting an entire thread just to share the interest.  With that in mind, I'm creating a new thread for one-off items that folks would like to share with others.

• Like 1

One of the origins of Sesame Street ...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/chester-pierce-the-forgotten-tale-of-how-a-black-psychiatrist-helped-make-sesame-street

Interesting article concerning the role of Dr. Chester Pierce and the Black Psychiatrists of America to utilize the influence of the growing media of TV to address institutional racism.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

One of the origins of Sesame Street ...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/chester-pierce-the-forgotten-tale-of-how-a-black-psychiatrist-helped-make-sesame-street

Interesting article concerning the role of Dr. Chester Pierce and the Black Psychiatrists of America to utilize the influence of the growing media of TV to address institutional racism.

Along those lines; how about the reproduction of All in the Family and The Jeffersons last night? Fantastic job, especially since it was live. And how groundbreaking were those shows, and Norman Lear, for that matter? I am amazed, as I watch reruns of them now that our dad let us watch, or that he even watched them himself. Dad and Archie Bunker could have been the same guy. I still remember hearing the N word on them, and being shocked then. It is crazy to think about those shows and think, no way those shows would be made today. Funny that both episodes chosen for last night had George saying it. It was garbled a bit on the All in the Family episode, and I must have missed it in The Jeffersons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Along those lines; how about the reproduction of All in the Family and The Jeffersons last night? Fantastic job, especially since it was live. And how groundbreaking were those shows, and Norman Lear, for that matter? I am amazed, as I watch reruns of them now that our dad let us watch, or that he even watched them himself. Dad and Archie Bunker could have been the same guy. I still remember hearing the N word on them, and being shocked then. It is crazy to think about those shows and think, no way those shows would be made today. Funny that both episodes chosen for last night had George saying it. It was garbled a bit on the All in the Family episode, and I must have missed it in The Jeffersons.

Those were awesome and very well cast. The live broadcast was hilarious too. The whole set was ready to crack up at one point when George was in Archie’s living room

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

190523135925-01-mount-everest-line-0522-

Approximately 320 people "in line" on Mount Everest, waiting to stand on the summit in an area known as the "death zone."

WOW....that is incredible. First, that many people made it, and second that that many people are there at one time. I know that 20 plus years ago, Nepal had a tight grip on who was granted a permit to climb, and that a permit was a steep 50 G's, which did not include gear or a Sherpa.

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

WOW....that is incredible. First, that many people made it, and second that that many people are there at one time. I know that 20 plus years ago, Nepal had a tight grip on who was granted a permit to climb, and that a permit was a steep 50 G's, which did not include gear or a Sherpa.

And it's still an extremely dangerous climb to make, even when successful.  Two climbers died Wednesday ... one from India in descent and one, an American, just after reaching the summit.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/utah-man-donald-lynn-cash-reached-seven-summits-172600555--abc-news-topstories.html

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, foxbat said:

And it's still an extremely dangerous climb to make, even when successful.  Two climbers died Wednesday ... one from India in descent and one, an American, just after reaching the summit.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/utah-man-donald-lynn-cash-reached-seven-summits-172600555--abc-news-topstories.html

And another one today ... showing up in my news feed since I'm in Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0524/1051500-everest-nepal/

Apparently there's another Irishman, not GID's @Irishman,  who had fallen earlier after reaching the summit last week and they just called off the search for him today.

Certainly not an activity for the faint-of-heart or the risk-averse.  

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, foxbat said:

And another one today ... showing up in my news feed since I'm in Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0524/1051500-everest-nepal/

Apparently there's another Irishman, not GID's @Irishman,  who had fallen earlier after reaching the summit last week and they just called off the search for him today.

Certainly not an activity for the faint-of-heart or the risk-averse.  

That is sad

enjoy your time there fox. I want to go there as well some day, to see the places my grandparents came from in County Galway, and to see the family we still have there. 

West Point set to graduate its largest Black female and Hispanic female classes ever.  While a nice accomplishment, it still has a ways to go.

Black women make up almost 7% of the population, but this largest graduating class only represents just under 3.6% of the cadet class.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/15/us/west-point-largest-graduating-class-of-black-women-trnd/index.html

16 hours ago, foxbat said:

West Point set to graduate its largest Black female and Hispanic female classes ever.  While a nice accomplishment, it still has a ways to go.

Black women make up almost 7% of the population, but this largest graduating class only represents just under 3.6% of the cadet class.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/15/us/west-point-largest-graduating-class-of-black-women-trnd/index.html

SF remembers seeing something about people not being judged by the color of their skin.....Why are we still putting people in separate classes and parading that around?  SF tries to be colorblind and accepts all people for who they are......

4 hours ago, swordfish said:

SF remembers seeing something about people not being judged by the color of their skin.....Why are we still putting people in separate classes and parading that around?  SF tries to be colorblind and accepts all people for who they are......

That's all well and good, but if that were actually likely happening, then the numbers should, for the most part, map out against the population unless there's something inherently different about Black women being cadets at West Point.  If, as you say, there's "nothing to see here" that would likely be born out in the data, which it isn't.  In the Army, there are roughly equal numbers of Black women enlisted as there are White women.  In the US military, Blacks make up a larger percentage of personnel than they do in the population ... 17% in the military vs. roughly 13% in the civilian population.  As such, the lack of Black officers can't be pawned off as "there just aren't a lot of them signing up to be soldiers."  Despite being 17% of the US military, Blacks make up roughly 6% of the active duty officer corps.  Assuming, if "everyone is equal" then what accounts for the vast difference in representation of officer vs. enlisted between the races?  By contrast, Whites make up roughly 60% of the active duty enlisted, but have over 75% representation in the active duty officer corps.

People are putting out separate classes and "parading it around" because there are plenty of people who like to say that race doesn't matter and we should all just move forward when there are still data points that show that there's still an issue to contend with.  It's admirable that people are colorblind and accept all people the way that they are, but that doesn't change the fact that we still have a ways to go in making sure that bears out in many other areas where it is just as important and much less one-to-one, like housing, hiring, progression, etc.  MLK said, "I dream of a day ..." and while we've made great strides toward getting toward that dream, we still have, as Frost alluded to, "miles to go before I [we] sleep."  I already acknowledged the positive strides, but I'm not yet content that we've gotten where we need to get .

30 minutes ago, foxbat said:

That's all well and good, but if that were actually likely happening, then the numbers should, for the most part, map out against the population unless there's something inherently different about Black women being cadets at West Point.  If, as you say, there's "nothing to see here" that would likely be born out in the data, which it isn't.  In the Army, there are roughly equal numbers of Black women enlisted as there are White women.  In the US military, Blacks make up a larger percentage of personnel than they do in the population ... 17% in the military vs. roughly 13% in the civilian population.  As such, the lack of Black officers can't be pawned off as "there just aren't a lot of them signing up to be soldiers."  Despite being 17% of the US military, Blacks make up roughly 6% of the active duty officer corps.  Assuming, if "everyone is equal" then what accounts for the vast difference in representation of officer vs. enlisted between the races?  By contrast, Whites make up roughly 60% of the active duty enlisted, but have over 75% representation in the active duty officer corps.

People are putting out separate classes and "parading it around" because there are plenty of people who like to say that race doesn't matter and we should all just move forward when there are still data points that show that there's still an issue to contend with.  It's admirable that people are colorblind and accept all people the way that they are, but that doesn't change the fact that we still have a ways to go in making sure that bears out in many other areas where it is just as important and much less one-to-one, like housing, hiring, progression, etc.  MLK said, "I dream of a day ..." and while we've made great strides toward getting toward that dream, we still have, as Frost alluded to, "miles to go before I [we] sleep."  I already acknowledged the positive strides, but I'm not yet content that we've gotten where we need to get .

Yeah but we elected a black President....

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, foxbat said:

And SF is not saying we are there yet.  But for years (SF grew up in the late 70's and early 80's) I felt we were gradually getting beyond the segregation that comes with identity classifications and actually was becoming colorblind in so many ways.  

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

So what are you saying....this is on the military?  How does one become an officer in the military?  (I know...just want to see where you are going with this one)

What I'm saying is that the assumption that everything isn't hunky dory because  someone chooses themselves not to see race.  Being a colorblind individual does not preclude the potential or even probability that the  process and/or outcomes are flawed.  Also, if the presumption is  that there's no need to look at race and people who are pointing out the flaws in the system are somehow focusing on somethings that isn't really a problem, then there should be, across such a large population pool,  relatively proportionate representation by something so insignificant as race.  If what you are proposing, in a roundabout way, is that it's not the fault of the system,  would it not then be a situation of proportional representation.  In other words, if the difference between  in proportion that makes Blacks only likely to see  officer rates at a rate of roughly  35% compared to their enlisted proportion while Whites see that same ratio at  125% compared to their enlisted proportion, are you suggesting that that huge gap is tied to the inherent abilities of Blacks to be/make/desire officer rank and not something tied to the system as a whole?  

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

What is the total pool of applicants to West Point?  What % of black women apply to the academy?  What % of black women applying qualify for admittance?  What do you know of the academy admittance process?  

Yes, I'm very aware of the academies' process having relatives who have been admitted both to West Point and the Air Force Academy as well as several students and friends of the family who have applied and been admitted and served as a mentor in the process.  As for the question about percentages, again, see the above consideration of the numbers.  Again, if the argument is "all things are equal" the the numbers don't support that.  And if they aren't then what is causing it?  Again, I put it to you and others to address, if it's not the system, then are you saying that there's something that's inherently flawed in Blacks and their own make up, that makes them less likely to attain officer status ... or Black women?  In defense of my position , I've heard that line of reasoning before ... it was used to not have wholesale Black officers representation in Union regiments all the way into WWII even amongst all-Black units.  It was used to preclude Blacks from serving wholesale in military combat in WWI and WWII .  It was used to keep Blacks from serving as pilots and required First Lady intervention to get things anywhere close to off the ground despite the success rates of groups lie the 332nd.  And no, I'm not calling you a racist.  What I'm saying is that, even within populations, the numbers don't support the idea that everything is equal in consideration and to lay it off that somehow or another it's rabble-rousing to point out that the emperor has no clothes when he indeed is naked or running around in his underwear isn't a fair approach to looking at the issue.

I pointed out the numbers and I'm more than open to seeing your numbers and your analysis as to why there isn't a proportional representation if everything is indeed as equal as conjectured. 

• 6 months later...
On 5/29/2019 at 8:45 AM, swordfish said:

That is what white liberals love to do. They pretend to be authorities on racism. I have little doubt that I have spent more time around more black people than every GID liberal combined.

On 12/24/2019 at 7:01 PM, Howe said:

That is what white liberals love to do. They pretend to be authorities on racism. I have little doubt that I have spent more time around more black people than every GID liberal combined.

Except that I'm not a white liberal.  Your move.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Except that I'm not a white liberal.  Your move.

You missed the point.  Howe must announce to the forum that he somehow knows the mind of "black" people better than everyone else at least once a year.

Black people must be some kind of group that all think and act the same to Howe by the way he talks.  sad.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1