Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Harbaugh’s Hands Caught in Cookie Jar

Bash Riprock

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

According to ESPN, Harbaugh looking at a 4 game suspension for alleged recruiting violations. Shame games will be cake walks….

IMG_5326.jpeg

Yawn…wake me up when Tennessee is punished.

Blatant NCAA hypocrisy here.

40 minutes ago, temptation said:

Yawn…wake me up when Tennessee is punished.

Blatant NCAA hypocrisy here.

I don't know enough about both situations to render an opinion, but I've never known the NCAA to be consistent...or exceptionally bright.

But Michigan's first 4 games are cake walks....they can sleep through them and still win.  My guess is that was a factor in handing out the penalty.

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

I don't know enough about both situations to render an opinion, but I've never known the NCAA to be consistent...or exceptionally bright.

But Michigan's first 4 games are cake walks....they can sleep through them and still win.  My guess is that was a factor in handing out the penalty.

The University of Michigan conceded 4 minor (Level II) violations, including buying a recruit a cheeseburger.

But the NCAA said Harbaugh initially lied about it, and Harbaugh said he didn't. So the NCAA will suspend him for 4 games - a week after giving Tennessee no games for 200+ violations.

This is all you need to know.

Edited by temptation

SEC: SEverybody Cheats.  I'm not excusing Harbaugh's lying (as it is indeed a breaking of the 10 Holy Commandments), but it's not like Jimmy Pants handed over the keys to BMWs, Ferraris, and other high-end luxury cars which is rampant at many schools only to have the new drivers get busted for traffic violations...even someone lost their life!  The U-M recruit may have had a case of indigestion...

15 hours ago, temptation said:

The University of Michigan conceded 4 minor (Level II) violations, including buying a recruit a cheeseburger.

But the NCAA said Harbaugh initially lied about it, and Harbaugh said he didn't. So the NCAA will suspend him for 4 games - a week after giving Tennessee no games for 200+ violations.

This is all you need to know.

If Harbaugh didn't lie or mislead, then why accept the 4 game suspension?  This is a negotiated resolution...not just a NCAA demand.

We concur about the inconsistencies of the NCAA, but we don't align that Harbaugh is a tragic victim.  Then again, I am not a Michgan diehard fan....you are.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/university-michigan/wolverines/2023/07/26/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh-suspension-ncaa-violations-level-1-wolverines/70467575007/

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2023/07/jim-harbaugh-reportedly-agrees-to-4-game-suspension-over-ncaa-probe.html

You may want to worry less about Tennessee and the behavior of the man in charge of your favorite college program.  It kinda sounds like a classic social media smokescreen tactic to get the attention away from this particular issue.  (i.e., defending Biden by blaming Trump....blaming Obama while defending Trump, blaming Bush while defending Obama,etc.)

Edited by Bash Riprock

6 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

If Harbaugh didn't lie or mislead, then why accept the 4 game suspension?  This is a negotiated resolution...not just a NCAA demand.

We concur about the inconsistencies of the NCAA, but we don't align that Harbaugh is a tragic victim.  Then again, I am not a Michgan diehard fan....you are.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/university-michigan/wolverines/2023/07/26/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh-suspension-ncaa-violations-level-1-wolverines/70467575007/

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2023/07/jim-harbaugh-reportedly-agrees-to-4-game-suspension-over-ncaa-probe.html

You may want to worry less about Tennessee and the behavior of the man in charge of your favorite college program.  It kinda sounds like a classic social media smokescreen tactic to get the attention away from this particular issue.  (i.e., defending Biden by blaming Trump....blaming Obama while defending Trump, blaming Bush while defending Obama,etc.)

I usually shy away from political analogies as they get heated but you are partially right on this one.

The NCAA has been after Harbaugh ever since he stood up to them and found loop holes in creating satellite camps in 2015.  He was always a step ahead and perhaps his arrogance got the best of him this time.

Sorta like the witch hunt that has followed president 45 that has (so far) continued to come up empty.  It’s a two-tiered system of justice.

Anyone who knows anything about Jim knows this will actually fuel him this upcoming season…my only “worry” is that the clown show that has become the NCAA once again drives up Jim’s interest in the NFL.

Guys at Tennessee handing out bags of cash in fast food bags and paying off parents’ cars, Georgia football players killing people while driving 100+ mph and you wanna dig your heels in on some zoom practices during Covid and a cheeseburger.

C’mon.

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

I usually shy away from political analogies as they get heated but you are partially right on this one.

The NCAA has been after Harbaugh ever since he stood up to them and found loop holes in creating satellite camps in 2015.  He was always a step ahead and perhaps his arrogance got the best of him this time.

Sorta like the witch hunt that has followed president 45 that has (so far) continued to come up empty.  It’s a two-tiered system of justice.

Anyone who knows anything about Jim knows this will actually fuel him this upcoming season…my only “worry” is that the clown show that has become the NCAA once again drives up Jim’s interest in the NFL.

Guys at Tennessee handing out bags of cash in fast food bags and paying off parents’ cars, Georgia football players killing people while driving 100+ mph and you wanna dig your heels in on some zoom practices during Covid and a cheeseburger.

C’mon.

No disagreement the the NCAA's long history on inconsistency.

I am just wondering if totally innocent of any wrong-doing, why negotiate a penalty that includes the head coach being separated from his team for 4 games?  I don't understand an innocent man plea bargaining.  

46 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I am just wondering if totally innocent of any wrong-doing, why negotiate a penalty that includes the head coach being separated from his team for 4 games?  I don't understand an innocent man plea bargaining.  

He’s not “totally innocent.”

The NCAA wants Harbaugh to say that he lied and KNOWINGLY broke the rules and Jim will not budge.  He would rather miss four cupcake games as opposed to caving to the hypocrisy of the NCAA…

Edited by temptation

46 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

There are a couple main pillars to the violations.

1.  Assistants knowingly contacting players via zoom after the maximum allowable hours allotted by the NCAA during Covid.

2.  Contact between Jim and high school recruits while they were on campus for unofficial visits ON THEIR OWN DIME during Covid in a time where official visits were not allowed by the university.  Those in the 2021 class, along with their families, organized unofficial visits to help in making their decisions.  Jim was caught paying for a kid’s lunch and then denied it when approached by the NCAA.

The contact rules during Covid were changing BY THE MINUTE so Jim’s defense is that he did so unknowingly.

He apparently lied which is what this is really all about.

Giving jail time to a guy going 55 in a 45 while murderers roam free.

Violations were nothingburgers (no pun intended) but Harbaugh did lie during an investigation (per the NCAA) which is considered a Level 1 infraction and one of the most serious charges. Both Bruce Pearl and Jim Tressel lost their jobs about the same time several years back lying to NCAA investigators over several minor infractions. Can't do that and a precedent has been set. 

Edited by Footballking16

43 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Violations were nothingburgers (no pun intended) but Harbaugh did lie during an investigation (per the NCAA) which is considered a Level 1 infraction and one of the most serious charges. Both Bruce Pearl and Jim Tressel lost their jobs about the same time several years back lying to NCAA investigators over several minor infractions. Can't do that and a precedent has been set. 

I guess that is my point...why lie??  No reason to do so.  Precedent has been set and its about integrity. Take the lumps and move on.  I'm not sure if this is arrogance, or just a struggle to be honest.  Either way, it magnified the issue and is why Michigan is negotiating a penalty of a 4 game suspension of its head coach.

No argument about NCAA consistency or effectiveness.  But Harbaugh has to own his own behavior and choices....no way to wash over that one unless one is choosing to wear purple shaded (in this case maize and blue) colored sunglasses.

12 hours ago, BTF said:

Welcome to the new America. 

I see it differently.  This is not new America.  Most people caught going 55 in 45mph don't try to lie their way out of it when the police shows them the radar.  They take their medicine and move on.

As FB16 pointed out, Jim Tressel was done in for some fairly minor things at OSU years ago....when he decided to be dishonest.  Whether the infractions were serious or not, Harbaugh had a choice to be honest and demonstrate integrity to his players.  He missed the mark.  

Attempting to make Harbaugh a martyr is ridiculous.  He knew better.  University of Michigan gets this and is why they are negotiating a penalty.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Hell has indeed frozen over. Paul Finebaum defending Harbaugh. 🤣😂

https://fanrumor.com/paul-finebaums-shocking-take-on-the-ncaa-vs-jim-harbaugh-war/

Of course Finebaum will defend him...cheating is quite common in the SEC.  Status quo in his beloved conference.  Scares the %$#@ out of him the action taken with Harbaugh has the potential to come down south

Edited by Bash Riprock

54 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

As FB16 pointed out, Jim Tressel was done in for some fairly minor things at OSU years ago.

Tragedy. Met him in person, great guy. He seems to be happy doing what he's doing now. 

7 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I see it differently.  This is not new America.  Most people caught going 55 in 45mph don't try to lie their way out of it when the police shows them the radar.  They take their medicine and move on.

As FB16 pointed out, Jim Tressel was done in for some fairly minor things at OSU years ago....when he decided to be dishonest.  Whether the infractions were serious or not, Harbaugh had a choice to be honest and demonstrate integrity to his players.  He missed the mark.  

Attempting to make Harbaugh a martyr is ridiculous.  He knew better.  University of Michigan gets this and is why they are negotiating a penalty.

Of course Finebaum will defend him...cheating is quite common in the SEC.  Status quo in his beloved conference.  Scares the %$#@ out of him the action taken with Harbaugh has the potential to come down south

Michigan made some concessions and wanted to get this investigation over with months ago but the NCAA is digging it’s heels in on the “supposed lie.”

Whataboutism is a slippery slope but Jim is digging his heels in and refusing to admit “he lied” when the Covid contact rules were changing by the minute during the summer of 2020.  

He’d rather face a suspension in four cupcake games than cave to the NCAA which is commendable to many Michigan fans, unless they somehow lose one of those games.

You even admitted that the NCAA is hypocritical and inconsistent in these types of situations and dropping the generic word “cheating” doesn’t tell the whole story.

There is “cheating” on your wife, “cheating” on a college entrance exam and then there is “cheating” by buying a kid a cheeseburger on an unofficial visit during a dead period.

One of these is not like the others.

In the end, I see him getting the suspension reduced by 1-2 games.

Common sense will win out and the NCAA is getting some pretty bad press here.  They have no real backbone over college football in this era.

Edited by temptation

16 hours ago, temptation said:

Michigan made some concessions and wanted to get this investigation over with months ago but the NCAA is digging it’s heels in on the “supposed lie.”

Whataboutism is a slippery slope but Jim is digging his heels in and refusing to admit “he lied” when the Covid contact rules were changing by the minute during the summer of 2020.  

He’d rather face a suspension in four cupcake games than cave to the NCAA which is commendable to many Michigan fans, unless they somehow lose one of those games.

You even admitted that the NCAA is hypocritical and inconsistent in these types of situations and dropping the generic word “cheating” doesn’t tell the whole story.

There is “cheating” on your wife, “cheating” on a college entrance exam and then there is “cheating” by buying a kid a cheeseburger on an unofficial visit during a dead period.

One of these is not like the others.

In the end, I see him getting the suspension reduced by 1-2 games.

Common sense will win out and the NCAA is getting some pretty bad press here.  They have no real backbone over college football in this era.

The last time I will restate my opinion.  BTW, I am not an anti-Harbaugh guy.

We agree on the inconsistency of the NCAA.  It looks like the original issues were fairly minor.  I put that on the NCAA.

What makes zero sense is Harbaugh lying and misleading an investigation.  In this case for things relatively minor.  That is absolutely an integrity issue and sends a very bad message to the organization he leads.  A fundamental value that I am sure he has espoused time and time again as a coach is integrity.  Yet, when he has the chance to demonstrate this value, he failed.  Harbaugh owns that...pure and simple and to attempt to sweep that under the rug by continuing to go back and talk about the NCAA.  The NCAA owns their piece of this mess and Harbaugh owns his.  Additionally, no matter the seriousness of the rule break, Harbaugh broke rules. Its not about, "well the other guy broke a bigger rule"....its about controlling what you can control and that is one's own behavior and choices.  As we have all told our children, 2 wrongs don't make a right"

IU was clobbered year ago for Kelvin Sampson's misuse of his phone...I am pretty sure no longer an NCAA rule.  They owned it and took the hit.  Had Jim just done this, this would have been in the rear view mirror with a wrist slap.  Jim made it much worse.

BTW, Jim is getting some negative press himself.....both are receiving some negative press.

4 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

The last time I will restate my opinion.  BTW, I am not an anti-Harbaugh guy.

We agree on the inconsistency of the NCAA.  It looks like the original issues were fairly minor.  I put that on the NCAA.

What makes zero sense is Harbaugh lying and misleading an investigation.  In this case for things relatively minor.  That is absolutely an integrity issue and sends a very bad message to the organization he leads.  A fundamental value that I am sure he has espoused time and time again as a coach is integrity.  Yet, when he has the chance to demonstrate this value, he failed.  Harbaugh owns that...pure and simple and to attempt to sweep that under the rug by continuing to go back and talk about the NCAA.  The NCAA owns their piece of this mess and Harbaugh owns his.  Additionally, no matter the seriousness of the rule break, Harbaugh broke rules. Its not about, "well the other guy broke a bigger rule"....its about controlling what you can control and that is one's own behavior and choices.  As we have all told our children, 2 wrongs don't make a right"

IU was clobbered year ago for Kelvin Sampson's misuse of his phone...I am pretty sure no longer an NCAA rule.  They owned it and took the hit.  Had Jim just done this, this would have been in the rear view mirror with a wrist slap.  Jim made it much worse.

BTW, Jim is getting some negative press himself.....both are receiving some negative press.

Let’s let it play out and see who comes out looking worse.

Jim’s negative press is mainly coming from his rivals and those with a bias against him prior…with the exception of Finebaum.

39 minutes ago, temptation said:

Let’s let it play out and see who comes out looking worse.

Jim’s negative press is mainly coming from his rivals and those with a bias against him prior…with the exception of Finebaum.

This is a real tough one for me … and I suspect a lot of others. Hard for me to see myself rooting for Khaki Man. But, on the other hand, the NCAA is such an obvious villain.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

This is a real tough one for me … and I suspect a lot of others. Hard for me to see myself rooting for Khaki Man. But, on the other hand, the NCAA is such an obvious villain.

I think ND fans should probably sit this one out…