Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

SIAC Week 3

Just now, Football Fanatic said:

I agree. I think the best assessment I've heard of the Alices so far (compared to last season) is...their offense took a step back but their defense took a step forward. They seem to be very limited on offense (Hunt is dangerous though) but they have a whole group of defenders that can make plays. Reitz won't have many, if any, more games that are that close. But I've also heard people say that game felt like a blowout, so it's hard telling.

I can tell you, the length of the game did not help anything. Almost three hours long and felt very choppy. Seemed like a lot of stop and go, and at times it seemed like players didn’t know if the officials were stopping them for a water break or not. I was confused through most of the game, so I can’t imagine what it was like for everyone else. 

I will agree with you on the blowout feeling. Or maybe because it was the longest, hottest game ever. But VL did have their chances in the 3rd and 4th quarter to make a game out of it but kept comin up short. The 51 yard FG was impressive, but was most impressive was having plenty of time to go to the concession stand. Every other play in the 2nd half, a player from Reitz was goin down with cramps. Still not sure any of those games should've been played on Friday night. That heat was miserable!

51 minutes ago, TheMole said:

I will agree with you on the blowout feeling. Or maybe because it was the longest, hottest game ever. But VL did have their chances in the 3rd and 4th quarter to make a game out of it but kept comin up short. The 51 yard FG was impressive, but was most impressive was having plenty of time to go to the concession stand. Every other play in the 2nd half, a player from Reitz was goin down with cramps. Still not sure any of those games should've been played on Friday night. That heat was miserable!

I wonder if the concrete was radiating heat that made it even worse for the home side?

6 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

Vincennes at Mater Dei - The Wildcats most likely felt the rage of MG after last week and picked up their urgency in practice, so expect them to bounce back from a competitive perspective. I still don't think they are quite good enough to beat the Alices though. It does help that the Alices have to come to The Bowl again, but I will still take Alices by 2 scores.

Gotta match that urgency if you're Lincoln, and I think they will. Much disappointment from last week's result.

MD will be ready

Edited by SEAL_63

7 hours ago, TheMole said:

After watching the Reitz and VL game last week, I will say that VL defense is far better than the stats will say. But like you said it is early. I think there are gonna be few, if any teams that hold Reitz to less than 30 points this year. Just hard to tell off two games especially if you say VL gave up almost 30 in the second half against Bosse with their JV in. 

6 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

I agree. I think the best assessment I've heard of the Alices so far (compared to last season) is...their offense took a step back but their defense took a step forward. They seem to be very limited on offense (Hunt is dangerous though) but they have a whole group of that can make plays. Reitz won't have many, if any, more games that are that close. But I've also heard people say that game felt like a blowout, so it's hard telling.

The Reitz D just looked that good plain and simple.  We knew Lincoln was going to be challenged early on with all new faces at WR...they needed to be pretty dominant on the ground to loosen the Panther D up and there just weren't enough of those big chunk plays like we've seen with Hunt.  I think the Lincoln passing game can still be good as it was against Bosse, but they have to be more effective on the ground when playing upper tier competition. 

And the stats for the defense are totally meaningless...Reitz will make a fool of many this season.  I posed the question last Friday...who do you defend??  Same players, same two offenses with Davies and Vera...less sloppiness, less mistakes than what I saw from a year ago. 

12 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

The Reitz D just looked that good plain and simple.  We knew Lincoln was going to be challenged early on with all new faces at WR...they needed to be pretty dominant on the ground to loosen the Panther D up and there just weren't enough of those big chunk plays like we've seen with Hunt.  I think the Lincoln passing game can still be good as it was against Bosse, but they have to be more effective on the ground when playing upper tier competition. 

And the stats for the defense are totally meaningless...Reitz will make a fool of many this season.  I posed the question last Friday...who do you defend??  Same players, same two offenses with Davies and Vera...less sloppiness, less mistakes than what I saw from a year ago. 

Well said. I'd say that's a fair assessment. If Reitz is more disciplined this year AND their defense is even better (think they only gave up about 12-13 points per game last year), then they should be very tough to beat. The Alices will be competitive in almost every game but they may need to rethink what they do on offense. Like you said, they need to get their run game going to help create some space for the pass game. Sure, keep doing the option reads, zones, powers, etc. but then spread teams out and give Hunt more space. They will have to get creative to score enough on the good teams.

Week 3 picks!

Harrison at North

Going to be a long night for the Warriors facing off against a North team wanting a bounce back game. North runs away from this one with a win. 

Memorial at Central

Central has scored back to back games this season, but are a long ways from being to who they once were. Should be a nice sunset tomorrow over Central Stadium. Tigers win big in this game. 

Castle at Bosse

Castle bulldozed their way against Mater Dei defeating them in blow out fashion, while wearing them down. Bosse, also blew out Central in a game that could’ve been close. I think Bosse can move the ball a couple of times, but Castle’s Depth will wear the Bulldogs down quickly. Castle by a running clock.

Reitz at Jasper

Reitz is looking to win B2B SIAC titles for the first time since 2016/2017 seasons. And they have a very tough squad to do so, as they are aiming higher than SIAC titles. Starting to looking like Reitz is going to be dangerous with a balance offense and improved defense. Jasper is also trying to snag up that SIAC Title too, as you can never count out the Cats. Everyone’s favorite offensive scheme and solid defenses each year. I thought last year was going to be a close game and boy I was wrong. Jerry Brewer Alumni Stadium will be packed tomorrow. But, Reitz gets away with a win by 2 scores. 

VL at Mater Dei

Some interesting predictions as VL or Mater Dei are the favorites. VL played Reitz pretty tough, however, struggled offensively against a stout defense. However, the Alices are still pretty high regarding their season outlook, since they want to make a statement. And I’m sure their QB would like a very strong senior year. Back at the Bowl tomorrow, as they hope to find some consistency on the road. MD returned back from Paradise after being blown out by Castle. So I already know they will be fired up for tomorrow to redeem themselves for the game. But, I do think VL will get the win by 9 points. Expecting a competitive game in the Bowl. 

Biggest questions/storylines for week 3 games:

1. Can MD bounce back and win at home, or does Vincennes beat MD for 2nd year in a row?

2. Can Bosse score enough points to keep up with Castle? Can Bosse force a turnover or punt on Castle?

3. Can Jasper sustain drives, control the clock, and stay in the game against Reitz? Can Jasper get any stops on Reitz?

4. Can Central put 1 score on Memorial? Does Memorial have running clock by halftime?

5. Can Harrison put 1 score on North? Does North have running clock by halftime?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jets said:

I understand Memorial took it to them week 1 - and I may be greatly underestimating the Reitz Panthers - but a Jasper victory tonight would not shock me in the least. 

I'll say it again...winning the "dude count" doesn't always mean winning the football game.