Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 28 Thread

On 10/21/2023 at 7:27 PM, Just a dad said:

Last years regular season score was 31-30 Chatard and Guerin missed on a 2 pt conversion at the end of the game. The score of their playoff game was 49-13. I don’t think it will be as lopsided this year but I also don’t think Guerin scores more than 10 points this time. I would put my money on a healthy BCHS scoring more than 10. A healthy Chatard scores at least 28.

Good point bringing up last years contests... I see it playing out about the same. I figure Tippy Valley about the same as Guerin(based on Tippys and Perus games vs Rochester) and we seen what Chatard did to Tippy !

Tippy reminded me a lot of Lawrenceburg from last year. Except they didn’t have that stud tackling machine at ILB. I’m still baffled by how many teams with good records can’t even run basic passing concepts. They might want to consider working on that instead of ground and pounding some poor 2A into a running clock. 

2 hours ago, Just a dad said:

Tippy reminded me a lot of Lawrenceburg from last year. Except they didn’t have that stud tackling machine at ILB. I’m still baffled by how many teams with good records can’t even run basic passing concepts. They might want to consider working on that instead of ground and pounding some poor 2A into a running clock. 

Well….truth be told from around 1996-2017, Chatard won 11 Championships and if they threw more than 4 passes a game it was considered an excessive aerial display - unless 45 pitch tosses per game to the RB running between tackles can be considered passing.

With that, I’ll admit it’s a lot more entertaining to watch these days.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lysander said:

Well….truth be told from around 1996-2017, Chatard won 11 Championships and if they threw more than 4 passes a game it was considered an excessive aerial display - unless 45 pitch tosses per game to the RB running between tackles can be considered passing.

Sounds like back in the day with University of Oklahoma's running attack.  They wouldn't even allow refs to throw the ball to the sideline between plays and had someone run it over. :classic_smile:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lysander said:

Yep, they used the ground and pound to beat up teams in a lower class all the way to the championship.

On 10/12/2023 at 11:36 AM, Tin Cup said:

Thoughts on this one?  Lot of good teams in this sectional.  I know Chatard is being labeled the favorite, but Guerin took them to OT, and Tippecanoe Valley/Hamilton Heights both undefeated and look very tough.   

Chatard played that one without its overall best player.   All due respect to #10, but #65 plays both ways and is a dominant DL which allowed Guerin to run it a little.   Will be different this time.  Chatard also lost its QB in the first quarter of the first matchup, and played the rest of the game with a sophomore who had never played a snap.    With Guerin's receiver situation,  I don't know how Guerin scores a point.    Guerin's unfortunately not as healthy as they were the first time, and Chatard's pretty close to full strength.  

On 10/21/2023 at 2:05 PM, Trojan said:

Unless we're looking for this thread to go down the road of comparing our feelings about our rings, (I'm pretty fond of mine btw) what makes the outcome of Chatard and Guerin different this time around?  Chatard may be healthier, but beating a rival multiple times in a year is very, very tough.  For those of you who have forgotten, when Chatard, Roncalli, and Cathedral shared a sectional, the regular season victor rarely repeated in the playoffs.

I'd ask what you think the difference was a year ago?   31-30 regular season, 49-13 in the sectional and it wasn't that close.  Chatard's leading tackler was out the first time, and their QB got hurt in the first quarter.   Guerin's banged up and struggled with Peru.  Chatard would name the score against Peru the same way they did against TV.   I think this one gets ugly early and Chatard wins 35-7.

5 hours ago, JUSTADAD17 said:

I'd ask what you think the difference was a year ago?   31-30 regular season, 49-13 in the sectional and it wasn't that close.  Chatard's leading tackler was out the first time, and their QB got hurt in the first quarter.   Guerin's banged up and struggled with Peru.  Chatard would name the score against Peru the same way they did against TV.   I think this one gets ugly early and Chatard wins 35-7.

Last years difference. In game one Chatard was undisciplined and inexperienced. In game 2 they were out to prove something. The QB was nearly perfect and the receivers seemed like they were running their routes on air. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Just a dad said:

Last years difference. In game one Chatard was undisciplined and inexperienced. In game 2 they were out to prove something. The QB was nearly perfect and the receivers seemed like they were running their routes on air. 

That and Guerin came out with a game plan to stop the run, brought a safety down, never adjusted, and #11 threw for 350 with relative ease.

On 10/21/2023 at 8:08 PM, gonzoron said:

Unless it was between '73 and '93, Chatard has never played Cathedral in a sectional game.

Chatard and Cathedral played in 82, 87, 90, and 92 in the sectionals, but I was referring to the three schools, Chatard, Roncalli, and Cathedral, and how nearly every year there was a rematch between two of them in the sectional. 

Lots of talk about how lopsided this one will be.  I hear that Chatard is healthier, but there is more than health that goes into these games.  Coach Dilly has a lot of experience in big games, and they will be able to correct from mistakes they made in the first game.  Guerin has not beat Chatard in awhile, and that is often a dangerous recipe.  See BRipp 01, Arlington 07, Ritter 12, Brebeuf 13, New Pal 13, and most importantly Heritage Hills in 04.  Those were all times that Chatard was riding a long winning streak into a big game and those teams came out with good game plans and were tired of getting beat.

34 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Lots of talk about how lopsided this one will be.  I hear that Chatard is healthier, but there is more than health that goes into these games.  Coach Dilly has a lot of experience in big games, and they will be able to correct from mistakes they made in the first game.  Guerin has not beat Chatard in awhile, and that is often a dangerous recipe.  See BRipp 01, Arlington 07, Ritter 12, Brebeuf 13, New Pal 13, and most importantly Heritage Hills in 04.  Those were all times that Chatard was riding a long winning streak into a big game and those teams came out with good game plans and were tired of getting beat.

Dilly can have the greatest game plan ever developed for tonight but without the athletes it won’t really matter. 

What does Chatard have a lot of?

Apparently talent and humility.

Chatard running clocks the field every week through turkey day.  Everybody else needs to move over.

Even in the 70s they were a top 3A team, which was the top class at that time.  Why are they so happy to beat up on all the little guys and not voluntarily move up to 4A or 5A?

Start taking your shots fellas.  

2 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

Chatard running clocks the field every week through turkey day.  Everybody else needs to move over.

Even in the 70s they were a top 3A team, which was the top class at that time.  Why are they so happy to beat up on all the little guys and not voluntarily move up to 4A or 5A?

One game into sectionals feels a little early to start fielding the voluntary move up shots.

42 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

Scecina is the only P/P team I ever remember voluntarily moving up a class. More should follow suit. At least in football. 

Edited by gonzoron

8 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Scecina is the only P/P team I ever remember voluntarily moving up a class. More should follow suit. At least in football. 

Maybe we should let every school decide what class they want to be in.

7 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I don't see a problem with that. As long as they move up. Let's start now, I'm all for it.

Here are some of the people you need to talk to.

Paul Neidig - Commissioner

Robert Faulkens 

Chris Kaufman

2 minutes ago, Tippy said:

Here are some of the people you need to talk to.

Paul Neidig - Commissioner

Robert Faulkens 

Chris Kaufman

I don't need to talk to anyone. I'm not moving up. I'm not aware of a rule against it either. If there is one, let's see it.

1 hour ago, Ballhawk said:

Bill Lynch played there. And , later, recall they played Columbus East in 1979. 

43 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Actually, I think Scecina was in 2A when they won their back-to-back titles and elected to stay in 2A despite their enrollment dropping to 1A level.  They eventually decided to move back down to 1A and then ended up in 2A via SF without winning a 1A title ... a pair of reds qualified them for SF.  Their enrollment then kept them there.  Similar to Linton who ended up in 2A via SF, but has 2A enrollment now.

If I'm not mistaken, Mishawaka Marian requested to be moved up from 1A to 3A after they won 1A back around '73, but the IHSAA only granted them a single class bump to 2A which they then won in '75 and '76.

14 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I don't need to talk to anyone. I'm not moving up. I'm not aware of a rule against it either. If there is one, let's see it.

You will need to talk to them if you want the classification process changed.  If you let every school in the state decide what class they want to be in, that is changing the process.

• Haha 1