Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

I have not seen a single 2A North sectional thread so I figured might as well just put them all together. 

This might be the most wide open the north has been in a few years without a clear front runner to represent the north at LOS. I think there are at least two teams in every sectional that have a pretty decent chance at being that team. Here is my pick for every sectional and who might give those picks problems on their way to claiming it. 

Sectional 33: I'm going to go with Andrean here. I wouldn't be surprised if Laville beats them, but I think Andrean has played a tough enough schedule they will be ready for the Lancers. I think the winner of that first round game will be the one that wins this sectional.

Sectional 34: LCC is the defending champ, so I think that makes them the favorite, but if anyone is going to knock them out of the playoffs in the sectional, it is probably going to have to be Rochester. Great game last year that was a lot closer than the score looks. I look for this years game to be a lot like it. Close all the way to the end.

Sectional 35: I think this one might be the easiest to pick. I think Luers walks through this one fairly easy. Eastside will give them the greatest fight, but I don't think it will be close when they meet. 

Sectional 36: I think this one could go one of three or four ways. I think Bluffton is probably the favorite, but Alexandria has been playing very good football from what i have heard the last couple of weeks. I think they are a contender. Hard to not say Eastbrook has a chance. Record isn't as great as in past years, but they have a history of being very good in the playoffs. I think the wild card in this sectional is Eastern. I don't think they have played a very tough schedule, but winning 7 games still isn't necessarily easy so I'd say they have a chance.

Would love to hear what other people think. Maybe a team I haven't followed that others think might have a chance to make some noise this playoffs.

3 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I have not seen a single 2A North sectional thread so I figured might as well just put them all together. 

This might be the most wide open the north has been in a few years without a clear front runner to represent the north at LOS. I think there are at least two teams in every sectional that have a pretty decent chance at being that team. Here is my pick for every sectional and who might give those picks problems on their way to claiming it. 

Sectional 33: I'm going to go with Andrean here. I wouldn't be surprised if Laville beats them, but I think Andrean has played a tough enough schedule they will be ready for the Lancers. I think the winner of that first round game will be the one that wins this sectional.

Sectional 34: LCC is the defending champ, so I think that makes them the favorite, but if anyone is going to knock them out of the playoffs in the sectional, it is probably going to have to be Rochester. Great game last year that was a lot closer than the score looks. I look for this years game to be a lot like it. Close all the way to the end.

Sectional 35: I think this one might be the easiest to pick. I think Luers walks through this one fairly easy. Eastside will give them the greatest fight, but I don't think it will be close when they meet. 

Sectional 36: I think this one could go one of three or four ways. I think Bluffton is probably the favorite, but Alexandria has been playing very good football from what i have heard the last couple of weeks. I think they are a contender. Hard to not say Eastbrook has a chance. Record isn't as great as in past years, but they have a history of being very good in the playoffs. I think the wild card in this sectional is Eastern. I don't think they have played a very tough schedule, but winning 7 games still isn't necessarily easy so I'd say they have a chance.

Would love to hear what other people think. Maybe a team I haven't followed that others think might have a chance to make some noise this playoffs.

I think you are right on the money.  The winner of Rochester/LCC has a great shot to make it to semi state and will probably take on Luers.  Luers is getting better and played very well against Homestead.  I think the Rochester/LCC game will be a low scoring game, maybe 14-13 type of game.  Luers will probably make it to state and take on Triton Central or Mater Dei.  

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 1:55 PM, Tippy said:

I think you are right on the money.  The winner of Rochester/LCC has a great shot to make it to semi state and will probably take on Luers.  Luers is getting better and played very well against Homestead.  I think the Rochester/LCC game will be a low scoring game, maybe 14-13 type of game.  Luers will probably make it to state and take on Triton Central or Mater Dei.  

The more I look at it, the more I think the North will be represented by Rochester/LCC/Laville with a possibility of Bluffton. I don't think Luers is as good as people think, and i think their record is very misleading. Luers got blown out by their two non-conference opponents on the schedule, not to say they weren't good teams, but they weren't even competitive. The Fort Wayne schools as a whole only beat each other without making much noise outside of Carroll and Snider outside of the conference. If you watch Luers play, outside of pretty good defense, there isn't any consistency in the offensive game plan, no identity from what I can see. Just athletes making some plays here and there and the further you get into the playoffs, the more athletes everyone has. I just don't think they are going to go as far as people think they are going to go. 

Luers were down at halftime to Churubusco. I'd bet they don't reach state, too inconsistent. 

1 minute ago, Tippy said:

Its looking better for LCC all the time. 🙂  I just hope LCC can beat Rochester.

I just don't if this Luers team scratches the Knights Top 15 of all time.............which is what it would probably take to win state. Someone from Luers would have to chime in on this one. 

11 minutes ago, BTF said:

I just don't if this Luers team scratches the Knights Top 15 of all time.............which is what it would probably take to win state. Someone from Luers would have to chime in on this one. 

The Luers team two years ago would beat this years team by 35 points and that team didn't make it out of the sectionals. 

29 minutes ago, jakone said:

The Luers team two years ago would beat this years team by 35 points and that team didn't make it out of the sectionals. 

That was a very good team. They win state 19 times out of 20. 

3 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

The more I look at it, the more I think the North will be represented by Rochester/LCC/Laville with a possibility of Bluffton. I don't think Luers is as good as people think, and i think their record is very misleading. Luers got blown out by their two non-conference opponents on the schedule, not to say they weren't good teams, but they weren't even competitive. The Fort Wayne schools as a whole only beat each other without making much noise outside of Carroll and Snider outside of the conference. If you watch Luers play, outside of pretty good defense, there isn't any consistency in the offensive game plan, no identity from what I can see. Just athletes making some plays here and there and the further you get into the playoffs, the more athletes everyone has. I just don't think they are going to go as far as people think they are going to go. 

You may be right about Luers but I'm not quite ready to bail on them yet ! Could be they were looking ahead cause they know Eastside will be tough !

6 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Rochester/LCC/LaVille and Bluffton are all having a solid season, for sure.

LCC hasn't lost its three games to just anyone - Guerin Catholic, Hamilton Heights, and West Lafayette.  All 3 are having a good run this season and are a class above at 3A.

Rochester, with just 2 losses, is also having quite the season, dropping games to a very good TValley and Peru.

In looking at the schedules of those listed above, I would say that LaVille has the weaker schedule.

The biggest factor for all of these teams is - Mr. Obvious here - the injury factor.

Do we know if all of these teams are healthy heading into the Friday semifinals?

Yeah, all the coaches say, next man up when that happens.  But when you have one guy go down that holds down 2-3-4 positions on the team and many times is one of the better athletes on the teams, it can be a tall task.

Would like to see some of these teams play in the regional, semi-state, state finals with a healthy roster!

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

• Like 1

Central Catholic has a very good offense passing attack.  Field conditions of what I just watched in LaVille this past weekend, limits a passing efficiency of team like LCC, just slows everything down when you cannot stop on a dime on all that fun stuff.   

Weather and Field Conditions play roles in playoffs.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Central Catholic has a very good offense passing attack.  Field conditions of what I just watched in LaVille this past weekend, limits a passing efficiency of team like LCC, just slows everything down when you cannot stop on a dime on all that fun stuff.   

Agree. Truly is the great equalizer no matter how you slice it. 

15 hours ago, jakone said:

That was quite the Eastside team they ran into that year if I'm not mistaken. I think they will make it out of their sectional this year. Just not sure they have what it takes to go much further than that.

13 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Rochester/LCC/LaVille and Bluffton are all having a solid season, for sure.

LCC hasn't lost its three games to just anyone - Guerin Catholic, Hamilton Heights, and West Lafayette.  All 3 are having a good run this season and are a class above at 3A.

Rochester, with just 2 losses, is also having quite the season, dropping games to a very good TValley and Peru.

In looking at the schedules of those listed above, I would say that LaVille has the weaker schedule.

Statistically, LaVille has the stronger of the three schedules, but not by much over LCC.  I believe that most of LCC's starters are healthy.  Not sure about the other two schools as I haven't followed them to that level of detail.

image.thumb.png.43f881858b184bb76aea045231235664.png

13 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

4 hours ago, BTF said:

Agree. Truly is the great equalizer no matter how you slice it. 

LCC's playing at home.  LaRocca's mix of bermuda and bluegrass is durable and quite resilient and lasts long into playoffs when other grass fields look like parking lots.  You can take a look here: https://www.maxpreps.com/in/lafayette/lafayette-central-catholic-knights/football/media/videos/  and click on the Winamac video to see.  It also drains really well, so unless it's a monsoon, you're not having to walk the field looking for water hazards before the game.   The one "disadvantage" is that on nights like this past Friday, where there's a high degree of moisture in the air, but not raining, the dewpoint puts a layer on mist on the grass ... kind of like the oil and sand that sits on top of the highway at the start of an April shower ... and makes it really likely to slip/hydroplane.  One of the refs can attest to this as he slipped and fell on his butt chasing an LCC receiver on a breakaway into the endzone.  I noticed several times, Winamac having footing issues and slipping ... not so much for LCC; then again, they know that grass intimately.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

Statistically, LaVille has the stronger of the three schedules, but not by much over LCC.  I believe that most of LCC's starters are healthy.  Not sure about the other two schools as I haven't followed them to that level of detail.

image.thumb.png.43f881858b184bb76aea045231235664.png

Interesting that LaVille's SOS would be higher than LCC when the Lancers play in the HNAC and LCC in the Hoosier.  I always pictured the Hoosier to be much superior to the HNAC.  And LaVille's non-conference games were not exactly big hitters this year (Bremen & John Glenn).  I suppose last week's games against Andrean for LaVille and Winamac for LCC played into that some.  But to me it appears the Hoosier conference was really off this year.  And the HNAC was pretty solid for a small school conference.

23 hours ago, FinePrint said:

Interesting that LaVille's SOS would be higher than LCC when the Lancers play in the HNAC and LCC in the Hoosier.  I always pictured the Hoosier to be much superior to the HNAC.  And LaVille's non-conference games were not exactly big hitters this year (Bremen & John Glenn).  I suppose last week's games against Andrean for LaVille and Winamac for LCC played into that some.  But to me it appears the Hoosier conference was really off this year.  And the HNAC was pretty solid for a small school conference.

I would agree FinePrint . . .

Didn't look at the SOS via Sagarin.  The SOS numbers change weekly based on the last game played.

I was looking at each teams actual schedule and comparing.

Definitely appears that the Hoosier was off this year and, as you mentioned, pretty solid for a small school conference.

If that's the case, maybe, just maybe the HNAC helped prepare LaVille for a deep run in the state playoffs.

Congrats to each team for a job well done!

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

On 10/23/2023 at 2:16 PM, First_Backer_Inside said:

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

• Like 3

Hopefully my Braves can take care of TC tonight, and I definitely wouldn't rule out North Posey beating Mater Dei. NP is #1 in 2A Sagarin.

I also wouldn't sleep on the winner of the Linton-Greencastle game tonight, or Heritage Christian, from
the other side of the South.

image.thumb.png.e2dad17bc9effc7ec7d4455b7546cdfb.png