Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The New Normal, round 2

Muda69

Washington school district wants teachers to bless Muslim students in Arabic during Ramadan: https://www.foxnews.com/faith-values/washington-school-district-wants-teachers-to-bless-muslim-students-in-arabic-during-ramadan

A religious liberty advocacy group is threatening to slap a Seattle-area school district with a lawsuit unless it revokes a letter urging teachers to bless Muslim students in Arabic during the holy month of Ramadan and give them preferential treatment, including skipping tests.

The Freedom of Conscience Defense Fund claims the Dieringer School District is officially endorsing Islam and is following a script by the Council on American-Islamic Relations(CAIR) that urges schools to make special accommodations for Muslim students and to wish them "Ramadan Mubarak," which means "Happy Ramadan," or "Ramadan Kareem," which means "Have a generous Ramadan."

The CAIR guidelines also instruct teachers to monitor Muslim students fasting and suggests teachers not schedule any tests on the Islamic holidays of Eid Al-Fitr and Eid Al-Adha.

“By urging teachers to bless Muslim students in Arabic, the district is running roughshod over the First Amendment’s mandate of government neutrality toward religion,” said Daniel Piedra, FCDF’s executive director. “A school district would never order teachers to ‘welcome’ Catholic students during Easter with ‘He is risen, alleluia!’ Singling out Muslim students for special treatment is blatantly unconstitutional.”

The defense fund claims Dieringer Superintendent Judy Martinson blindly followed the recommendations of CAIR and "enacted the letter as official district policy." The defense fund sent Martinson a letter stating their complaints after a teacher and parent complained about the new procedure.

The May 6 letter also warned Martinson about CAIR's anti-semitic advocacy and alleged ties to radical Islamists, which the group has long denied.

Ibrahim Hooper, national communications director for CAIR, the nation's largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, told Fox News the pushback from FCDF is a "sign of the growing Islamophobia in our nation that showing respect for and accommodating the religious traditions of Muslim students could result in punitive legal action."

"Pluralism in America means recognizing the wide variety of holidays celebrated by students of different faiths and backgrounds, including by saying 'Merry Christmas,' 'Happy Hanukkah,' 'Happy Diwali,' or 'Ramadan Mubarak,'" Hooper said.

Though there is nothing in the Constitution that prohibits public schools from accommodating students' religious exercise to the extent it would not interfere with educational interests, FCDF claims that by issuing CAIR recommendations to district employees, Martinson "acted under color of state law to create an official policy that has a primary effect of advancing religion. The Ramadan Policy, in both adoption and implementation, plainly imposes liability on the District under the United States and Washington Constitutions."

FCDC also takes issue with the suggestion that schools skip tests on Eid Al-Fitr and Eid Al-Adha and claims CAIR is trying to justify celebrating the days by "falsely contending these holidays should receive similar treatment to Christmas."

"This approach is wrong for two reasons. First, adding Islamic holidays does not further the district’s educational mission and academic goals. Recognizing holidays is constitutional only if the purpose is to provide secular instruction about religious traditions, rather than to promote the particular religion involved. Second, CAIR’s recommendation that teachers schedule tests around Eid Al-Fitr and Eid would alleviate no burden on Muslim students," FCDC said.

Monday marked the start of Ramadan, a monthlong celebration that began in the seventh century and commemorates Allah, the Arabic name for God. Muslims are expected to pray at night, fast during the day and abstain from sexual activity between sunrise and sunset.

Calls to Martinson seeking comment were not immediately returned.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

5 hours ago, swordfish said:

I respectfully disagree........"Let us die to make men free".......

While I appreciate the fervor in using that one line to make it seem different, both songs are certain in the correctness of their cause and call upon the backing of religion or religious guidance to vanquish those who stand opposed.  Also, while I certainly appreciate the idea that it sounds "good in a song," let's be perfectly honest that the United States' causes are mixed bags. 

Recall that less than a year after The Battle Hymn of the Republic was written, Lincoln wrote the following to Horace Greeley:

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

So if Lincoln was willing to let slavery stand for the sake of the Union, then who would the Union soldiers be making free with their deaths?  National fervor, especially when tied to religion, always seems to be noble when our own and fanatical when someone else's ... hence the fact that I'm able to look at both without getting overly riled about either.  I have to be realistic that it's very possible that the same folks who wrote "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." had some who did it holding their nose along with others who did it with a very straight face and saw nothing out of whack with, among other things, their own religious views.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

I don’t get any special treatment at Easter.

Re not getting special treatment at Easter (or at other Christian holidays): doesn't your school have a "Spring break" (and a "Christmas break")? 

16 hours ago, foxbat said:

While I appreciate the fervor in using that one line to make it seem different, both songs are certain in the correctness of their cause and call upon the backing of religion or religious guidance to vanquish those who stand opposed.  Also, while I certainly appreciate the idea that it sounds "good in a song," let's be perfectly honest that the United States' causes are mixed bags. 

Recall that less than a year after The Battle Hymn of the Republic was written, Lincoln wrote the following to Horace Greeley:

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

So if Lincoln was willing to let slavery stand for the sake of the Union, then who would the Union soldiers be making free with their deaths?  National fervor, especially when tied to religion, always seems to be noble when our own and fanatical when someone else's ... hence the fact that I'm able to look at both without getting overly riled about either.  I have to be realistic that it's very possible that the same folks who wrote "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." had some who did it holding their nose along with others who did it with a very straight face and saw nothing out of whack with, among other things, their own religious views.

Beware of an eye roll and a fake Chruchill quote....

• Haha 1
  • Sit and spin 1

We will agree to disagree. 

Anyone who will equate the battle hymn of the republic where the (admittedly religious) lyrics promote freedom to the savage lyrics these kids were singing where they celebrate torture and death to achieve their goal of the entire world conforming to their religion and laws is not worth debating with.   Huge difference between oppression and freedom.....

• Kill me now 1

41 minutes ago, swordfish said:

We will agree to disagree. 

Anyone who will equate the battle hymn of the republic where the (admittedly religious) lyrics promote freedom to the savage lyrics these kids were singing where they celebrate torture and death to achieve their goal of the entire world conforming to their religion and laws is not worth debating with.   Huge difference between oppression and freedom.....

I would agree ... but just as the clause "all men are created equal" had an implied asterisk, I similarly am not going to take a single line in a song tied to nationalism with a religious beat to be a 100% guarantee to all who hear or sing it.

Interesting too that my statement/point refuting your point wasn't addressed ... I was just summarily dismissed.  Your argument then is with me and not the idea.  In that case, we will need to agree to disagree because I take interest in discussing ideas.

18 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I would agree ... but just as the clause "all men are created equal" had an implied asterisk, I similarly am not going to take a single line in a song tied to nationalism with a religious beat to be a 100% guarantee to all who hear or sing it.

Interesting too that my statement/point refuting your point wasn't addressed ... I was just summarily dismissed.  Your argument then is with me and not the idea.  In that case, we will need to agree to disagree because I take interest in discussing ideas.

At least you didn't get the eye roll and fake quote.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

13 hours ago, Wabash82 said:

Re not getting special treatment at Easter (or at other Christian holidays): doesn't your school have a "Spring break" (and a "Christmas break")? 

My Spring Break does not align with Easter.

40 minutes ago, swordfish said:

Who cares?

Image result for never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Image result for never have a battle of wits with an unarmed personImage result for never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

None of them said the quote either.  

Memes > Facts

You care enough to run the conversation straight into the personal attack/fake meme ditch and then play the who cares/agree to disagree card.  Meh...

• Like 1
  • Sit and spin 1

6 hours ago, swordfish said:

AGAIN - 

Anyone who will equate the battle hymn of the republic where the (admittedly religious) lyrics promote freedom to the savage lyrics these kids were singing where they celebrate torture and death to achieve their goal of the entire world conforming to their religion and laws is not worth debating with.  

Nuff said......This must be the new normal.....

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

giphy.gif

Thanks! No need to take it on the road, though. I have a captive audience right here on the OOB that reacts or responds to every post I make. So what if they're hecklers? It's an audience that gives me laughs. A mudarater seems to be my #1 fan, but don't feel bad, you're #2!

• Haha 2
  • Sit and spin 1

2 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Thanks! No need to take it on the road, though. I have a captive audience right here on the OOB that reacts or responds to every post I make. So what if they're hecklers? It's an audience that gives me laughs. A mudarater seems to be my #1 fan, but don't feel bad, you're #2!

02-troll-face.w710.h473.2x.jpg

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

I have in the past. Never could find anything on Mr. Beal

That is not a caricature of Mr. Beal.  However it is one of you, Gonzo.  Here is another:

10977_7ca5eb06feca2d4d2029ef99de456a25.j

and another:

1*Sd7yfdtqQg8nUi6WPGjsfw.png

And another of your buddy Night Hawk:

Internet-tough-guy-troll-300x240.jpeg

Edited by Muda69
  • Disdain 2

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

That is not a caricature of Mr. Beal.  However it is one of you, Gonzo.  Here is another:

10977_7ca5eb06feca2d4d2029ef99de456a25.j

and another:

1*Sd7yfdtqQg8nUi6WPGjsfw.png

And another of your buddy Night Hawk:

Internet-tough-guy-troll-300x240.jpeg

Nope, neither of those is me. I don't have that many teeth. Try again. I don't have a buddy named Night Hawk either. You lose all around. Again.

Image result for flip flop gif

• Disdain 1

Kids Aren't Rushing To Get Their Driver's Licenses—and That's OK!: https://reason.com/2019/05/14/kids-arent-rushing-to-get-their-drivers-licenses/

The share of teens with driver's licenses peaked in 1983, when 72 percent of Americans aged 16–19 were legally approved to drive. Today, only about 50 percent are.

The decline has stupefied many a baby boomer and Gen Xer, who can't imagine why young people today don't want to hit the open road. Writing in The Atlantic in May 2018, Penn State professor Gary Cross fretted about the loss of that "magical age of 16, when suddenly a world opened up." The Washington Post in 2015 dedicated more than 2,000 words to how America's love affair with cars was "cruising towards oblivion" because those damn kids don't want to drive.

What do teens actually say? According to a University of Michigan survey, the two most common reasons given for not having a driver's license were being "too busy" to get one (37 percent) and thinking that owning a car "is too expensive" (32 percent). Most of the teens surveyed (70 percent) said they planned to get a license eventually.

Owning a vehicle was never cheap, but those survey responses suggest there's simply more competition for teens' dollars and attention today than in the past. Do you want to spend your money and time fixing up an old car or buying and playing Red Dead Redemption 2?

"Car culture" has always been an American touchstone, but researchers have found similar declines in teen driving rates in Canada, Germany, Japan, and South Korea. The University of Michigan analysis correlates the decline in teen driving with the rise in internet use, suggesting that cyber connectivity and escapism is replacing the lure of the open road—or at least slackening the need to drive to friends' houses to hang out in person.

But teens holding off on hitting the road isn't cause for worry. For one thing, it's probably good for public health. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 2,400 Americans aged 16–19 were killed in car crashes in the United States during 2016—about six deaths per day. That's down from 7,993 deaths in 1995, and 9,659 in 1985.

As for the loss of car culture? Times change, and social norms evolve—teens don't rock out to Elvis, the Ramones, or Linkin Park anymore, either. That's fine. There's no single reason fewer teens are driving today, and no amount of consternation is likely to reverse the trend.

Meh,  a lot of kids today are happy to "spend time" with their friends via texting, chats, voip, etc.  instead of actually you know, driving to each other's homes and being in the same room together.     As a parent the only time it aggravates me is when your 20 year old child needs a ride somewhere because they are too lazy to get their license.  

• Disdain 2

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/caitlyn-jenner-to-pose-nude-for-sports-illustrated-cover/?fbclid=IwAR2Cc1Z28OQ1lE6ei2Hu55FNlLMSLIHX4r7kKHrSa9DORDSZkPOe0Hf6BjA

That's one way to show your patriotism. Caitlyn Jenner is reportedly posing nude for the cover of Sports Illustrated, wearing "nothing but an American flag and her Olympic medal," Us Weekly reported.

"His" Olympic Medal (FIFY)

AAAAllllllrighty then.......

Image result for alrighty then gif