Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DAC previews & predictions

Since I’m new here and I didn’t see one for the duneland confrence I figured I’d take a stab at it!  (I don’t know all the teams) 

Crown point- after falling short of a sectional title crown point looks to take a step forward. crown point arguably has the best coaching staff in NWI if not the entire state from top to bottom. They graduated both there QB and RB but they still return a huge line on both sides with multiple state title/contending wrestlers. They got some luck hitting that transfer portal and getting a D1 WR Patrick clacks (former Andrean) and a potential D1 QB In noah ehrlich (former Hobart) so they now have a passing game to go with what should be a good run game behind there O-line! My opinion crown point is still overhyped and untill they get to at least the final 4 they will stay as a non factor in the state for me. 

Michigan city: these young wolves have a lot of talent returning and a new head coach after phill mason left for Griffith. Cody French takes over a wolves program that has just as much talent as any team in the state. Problem is there kids don’t buy in to the system and haven’t for many years. Last year they had many kids walk away in the summer before the season saying they wouldn’t play for Phil mason anymore. They just didn’t believe in his system (per city RB coach). I expect the wolves to be a tough team to beat and be a mid pack team (4th,5th) but definitely have the talent to make a run if overlooked. 

valpo: what can I say about this team.. they return 19 starters from last year and they won the 5A state title. Some will say they overachieved and got lucky. And some will say they got better and hit their stride at the right time. RB Jordan davis is gonna have to put this team on his back because their QB hasn’t proven to be able to throw the ball consistently. Valpos defense will be a non factor in my opinion. Just like crown point last year Valpo still try to run over their competition! We will see if their state run was real or a fluke but congrats Vikings on your 5A title last year and good luck on the repeat. 

merrillville: the purple giants… the team every team in the DAC is trying to match year in and year out. They return 8 starters on defense if I’m not mistaken and they return almost there whole offense minus (RB/WR) Justin Marshall and QB (Jaylen T.) some will say the pirates window has closed but I don’t believe it has. The pirates will have the best defense in the DAC and a top 10 defense In the state in all classes. They will lean on that to win games early. There New starting QB will be a Gary westside transfer named dontae pope kid has a strong arm and is extremely mobile but accuracy down field can be an issue. He last played as a sophomore and had to sit out junior year due to not being eligible after transferring to merrillville. The rest of the team should fall in place. I expect merrillville to once again be a top 2 team in the DAC and be a state title contender! Can they break through this year or is it same old story? 

Chesterton: they are young All the way around and have a new defense coordinator. They shocked the state beating merrillville last year but I think they caught merrillville on their worst day while the Trojans had their best. They have talent! Not much to say except this is a mid pack DAC team and a darkhorse for a sectional title 

portage: new coach in Roy richards tries to lead the team to being relevant in the DAC again.. they are a little behind the curve but they have a coach who is capable of doing great things! This team will compete for 5/6 place. 

lake central/Laporte. Idk much about either of you. Lake central lost there QB to Hobart. But return Iowa commit at RB this team will lean heavy on the run good luck fighting for last place!!!
Laporte fired there coach again and hired a new one this is like the 5th in 5 years… the community so badly wants this team to succeed but something has to be going on that doesn’t meet the public eye. Hope they get it together soon. Good luck with last place fight. 

DAC standings prediction 

T1 Crown point (lose to Valpo) 8-1

T1 merrillville (lost to crown point) 8-1

3rd Valpo (lost to merrillville and Michigan city and Penn) 7-3

4th Michigan city 6-4 (lost to merrillville, crown point, warsaw, laffyette jeff,)

5th portage 5-5

6th Chesterton 4-6

7th lake central 2-8

8th Laporte 0-10 (sorry) 

what do you all think? 

• Haha 1

I think you are underestimating Valpo. They have reached semi-state 4 out of last 5 years, they are one of the best programs, if not the best in the North now. returning 19 players is huge, don't see them losing more than one game in regular season, if one at all, if they stay healthy. Head coach Marshall has that program heading in right direction. 

9 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I think you are underestimating Valpo. They have reached semi-state 4 out of last 5 years, they are one of the best programs, if not the best in the North now. returning 19 players is huge, don't see them losing more than one game in regular season, if one at all, if they stay healthy. Head coach Marshall has that program heading in right direction. 

I’d give merrillville the edge as the top program being they did 4 straight in 6A. But not saying they don’t have talent. I’m hearing from many others that all they have is the RB and the defense is okay. Teams that have scrimmaged them said Valpo is only a one player show right now. I’m sure things will change. Just really in my opinion I’m one of those that feel they got lucky on the run. being that I was the FW snider game on the snider side all I heard was for weeks they prepared for merrillville and they never really looked at Valpo tape. Not saying Valpo still wouldn’t have won that game I give them their flowers. But they have to prove it isn’t a fluke. Week 1 will be a test I got Penn by 14+

15 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Not saying Valpo couldn’t have done it in 6A either. But they did it in 5A against in all reality much weaker competition compared to 6A. Especially being that they had the sectional merrillville is in now with hammomds and Munster 

1 minute ago, scarab527 said:

Another really dumb Parkhurst post 

Who is parkhurst? And what’s wrong with the post? 

37 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I'll take Valpo and the 14 point you are giving. 

I could be wrong but I expect the old Penn back this year. And crown point should roll their first 5 games easily. Merrillville could start 1-2. I’m not looking them over Andrean or Hobart. But I believe crown point should be the top team I got them taking our merrillville by 14+

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

“the team every team in the DAC is trying to match year in and year out.”

LOL, at this.

It’s just my opinion. Since 2000 they have been the most successful program in the DAC. They have the most sectionals,regionals,semi state appearances. 

Valpo has been to state twice?? Maybe 3 times which is great. But they don’t hold as many other titles as the likes of merrillville. And I can’t remember but I think crown point has more also? Not sure I don’t know where to go on the ihsaa website to find the sectional titles and things of that nature 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

“the team every team in the DAC is trying to match year in and year out.”

LOL, at this.

I stand corrected merrillville and Valpo are tied with 15 sectionals and are tied in regionals. Only difference is merrillville did it in 6A recently and Valpo in 5A. I apologize for my mistake. 

Right now this is how I would rank the teams:

1. Crown Point - Last year they lacked a passing game and they’re bringing in some transfers to address that. They return most of the O-Line and the Defense. They have the best coaching staff in the area. They are undoubtedly the team to beat in the DAC.

2. Valpo - They return 19 starters and also boast a very good coaching staff themselves. The defense will be stingy and the offense will wear teams out. And Clark proved last year he can make the clutch throws needed to really put this team over the top. 

3. Lake Central - This team was really coming into their own towards the end of last year and you can see that in their box scores. 3rd year under Rick Goode and they’ll look to turn a corner. They return their starting backfield (the QB that transferred to Hobart was the backup). If they can play solid defense, they should be able to ride physical Big Ten commit RB Xavier Williams to victory in many of their games. 

4. Chesterton - They return their QB and their overall best player RB/LB Garrett Lewis. They always play solid defense and last year they were more physical running the ball which was nice to see from them. Think they’ll be a tough out.

5. Merrillville - Lost almost all of their production from last year and QB is a big question mark for them right now. They’ll still be dangerous because they play in what is probably pound-for-pound the worst sectional in the entire state. If they can figure things out they’ll have a chance to make a run at the end. But I doubt they’ll be anything more than middle of the pack this year in the regular season. 

6. Michigan City - This team has the talent to be ranked higher than this. But their schedule top to bottom is very tough and even the “easy” games (Portage/LaPorte) look like they might not be so easy (Roy Richards knowing this team as their DC for the past several season and LaPorte being a rivalry game MC lost last year). I have a feeling a season like last year’s could be in the works again.

7. Portage - This team will be better because they now have one of the best head coaches in the conference at the helm. But I just don’t think they have the depth, especially in the trenches, to really compete consistently.

8. LaPorte - This program is even more of a mess than it was last year, when they managed two conference wins. I’d be surprised if they reached that total this year. 

Edited by scarab527

3 hours ago, DACNUT88 said:

I stand corrected merrillville and Valpo are tied with 15 sectionals and are tied in regionals. Only difference is merrillville did it in 6A recently and Valpo in 5A. I apologize for my mistake. 

Valpo has 1 more Regional and they have 4 semi-states vs zip for Merrillville. The year Merrillville went to state, it was a different playoff system I believe, so I guess you can say they do have a semi state win, but was called regional back then. I would say Valpo has a better claim as better program in Da Region

On 6/21/2023 at 1:26 PM, Muda69 said:

Thank you for policing the absolute scourge of grammar and spelling errors here on the GID.  You are a beacon of hope for us all.

2 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

I don’t understand the meaning of your post. I swear to God I don’t 

While I didn't give you the glowing positive review @Muda69 gave me in a previous thread, you're a solid #2 on the GID.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

While I didn't give you the glowing positive review @Muda69 gave me in a previous thread, you're a solid #2 on the GID.

I don’t know if that’s a compliment or insult. I swear to God I don’t. If you would have paid attention to the other posts you know we were talking about that boy named Cody with another account . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

I don’t know if that’s a compliment or insult. I swear to God I don’t. If you would have paid attention to the other posts you know we were talking about that boy named Cody with another account . 

Oh I'm always paying attention. No one is exempt, not even 'that boy named Cody'.

On 7/5/2023 at 12:30 PM, gonzoron said:

Oh I'm always paying attention. No one is exempt, not even 'that boy named Cody'.

If you are all talking about my account? I’m not whoever this cody person is. My name is Andrew hunter? My son plays for portage. He will be a freshman this year. And we watched all the teams play last year. And have seen a few “scrimmages” 

4 hours ago, DACNUT88 said:

If you are all talking about my account? I’m not whoever this cody person is. My name is Andrew hunter? My son plays for portage. He will be a freshman this year. And we watched all the teams play last year. And have seen a few “scrimmages” 

Hello Andrew and welcome. I'm Gonzo Ron, the Resident Grammar Police. I'm out of sight, out of mind most of the time but I try to run a tight ship here at the Rock. I get compliments all the time such as this one last week I got from one of our long time members: 

On 7/5/2023 at 12:58 PM, gonzoron said:
  On 6/21/2023 at 1:26 PM, Muda69 said:

Thank you for policing the absolute scourge of grammar and spelling errors here on the GID.  You are a beacon of hope for us all.

Enjoy your time here on the GID. That next 4 years is gonna go faster than you can imagine. My son graduated this year.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:49 PM, DACNUT88 said:

Michigan city: these young wolves have a lot of talent returning and a new head coach after phill mason left for Griffith. Cody French takes over a wolves program that has just as much talent as any team in the state. Problem is there kids don’t buy in to the system and haven’t for many years. Last year they had many kids walk away in the summer before the season saying they wouldn’t play for Phil mason anymore. They just didn’t believe in his system (per city RB coach). I expect the wolves to be a tough team to beat and be a mid pack team (4th,5th) but definitely have the talent to make a run if overlooked. 

You say you're not Parkhurst but this was something he mentioned a lot. Can any City fans on here validate this comment? It seems outrageous anyone in City would have complained about Mason. Who else has taken them to a Semi-State? Nobody!

On 7/4/2023 at 9:18 PM, scarab527 said:

Right now this is how I would rank the teams:

1. Crown Point - Last year they lacked a passing game and they’re bringing in some transfers to address that. They return most of the O-Line and the Defense. They have the best coaching staff in the area. They are undoubtedly the team to beat in the DAC.

2. Valpo - They return 19 starters and also boast a very good coaching staff themselves. The defense will be stingy and the offense will wear teams out. And Clark proved last year he can make the clutch throws needed to really put this team over the top. 

3. Lake Central - This team was really coming into their own towards the end of last year and you can see that in their box scores. 3rd year under Rick Goode and they’ll look to turn a corner. They return their starting backfield (the QB that transferred to Hobart was the backup). If they can play solid defense, they should be able to ride physical Big Ten commit RB Xavier Williams to victory in many of their games. 

4. Chesterton - They return their QB and their overall best player RB/LB Garrett Lewis. They always play solid defense and last year they were more physical running the ball which was nice to see from them. Think they’ll be a tough out.

5. Merrillville - Lost almost all of their production from last year and QB is a big question mark for them right now. They’ll still be dangerous because they play in what is probably pound-for-pound the worst sectional in the entire state. If they can figure things out they’ll have a chance to make a run at the end. But I doubt they’ll be anything more than middle of the pack this year in the regular season. 

6. Michigan City - This team has the talent to be ranked higher than this. But their schedule top to bottom is very tough and even the “easy” games (Portage/LaPorte) look like they might not be so easy (Roy Richards knowing this team as their DC for the past several season and LaPorte being a rivalry game MC lost last year). I have a feeling a season like last year’s could be in the works again.

7. Portage - This team will be better because they now have one of the best head coaches in the conference at the helm. But I just don’t think they have the depth, especially in the trenches, to really compete consistently.

8. LaPorte - This program is even more of a mess than it was last year, when they managed two conference wins. I’d be surprised if they reached that total this year. 

Agree with most of this.  As a Portage homer I want to say Richards will instantly elevate the Indians, but time will tell if that's the case. Great call on Lake Central. Xavier Williams is a beast and headed to Iowa. LC has the defense and workhorse on offense to grind out some wins. 

Regarding LaPorte, I noticed Charles Salary is next in line to use Calumet as a stepping stone for a DAC position. Could the former Slicer be destined to eventually give LaPorte a long term option at HC? I'm not sure how long he stayed in Central Indiana after starring at RB for Marian. Perhaps he rather had back to Indy if he succeeds at Calumet. 

IMO, the spotlight is on French and Seiss. French is inheriting a lot of talent included a Syracuse committ at RB. The way he left Calumet showed some character flaws that need to be corrected. His tenure at City will be off to a very rocky start if the Wolves take a major step back post Phil Mason. Merrillville appears to now have a shortage of talent. Can Seiss keep the Pirates in the run for the DAC when he doesn't have a plethora of talent to throw out on the field? 

7 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Agree with most of this.  As a Portage homer I want to say Richards will instantly elevate the Indians, but time will tell if that's the case. Great call on Lake Central. Xavier Williams is a beast and headed to Iowa. LC has the defense and workhorse on offense to grind out some wins. 

Regarding LaPorte, I noticed Charles Salary is next in line to use Calumet as a stepping stone for a DAC position. Could the former Slicer be destined to eventually give LaPorte a long term option at HC? I'm not sure how long he stayed in Central Indiana after starring at RB for Marian. Perhaps he rather had back to Indy if he succeeds at Calumet. 

IMO, the spotlight is on French and Seiss. French is inheriting a lot of talent included a Syracuse committ at RB. The way he left Calumet showed some character flaws that need to be corrected. His tenure at City will be off to a very rocky start if the Wolves take a major step back post Phil Mason. Merrillville appears to now have a shortage of talent. Can Seiss keep the Pirates in the run for the DAC when he doesn't have a plethora of talent to throw out on the field? 

I saw that the other week that Charles Salary was head coaching. Great for him, hope he does well. Still pissed on how he sliced up the Mighty Panther D in 2014.