Jump to content

Recommended Posts

No doubt everyone will be gunning for New Palestine . Theoretically after winning the 5a title by 14 points last year one could make a case that this year isn't a shoe in title year for NP.  Cathedral narrowly lost to DC last season one year could make a yuge difference. However unless someone did some serious off season improvements NP should probably coast to a title again .   How do DC and Cathedral look this season . I was under the impression dc lost some seniors off last seasons runner up team. phjindy still in the house? How  do the irish look? Other 5a speculators ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not sure "coast" is the word I'd use.  New Pal returns quite a few players, but also lost a lot of quality seniors that played major roles.  QB, WR, center, guard, and 3 ILB all graduated.  The center also played D-line and has moved on to play at UIndy.  The WR also played CB and is gonna play baseball at Indiana Wesleyan.  And one of the LB is gonna play at Taylor.  Lost some studs.  Need some kids to step up into those spots.

Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Not sure "coast" is the word I'd use.  New Pal returns quite a few players, but also lost a lot of quality seniors that played major roles.  QB, WR, center, guard, and 3 ILB all graduated.  The center also played D-line and has moved on to play at UIndy.  The WR also played CB and is gonna play baseball at Indiana Wesleyan.  And one of the LB is gonna play at Taylor.  Lost some studs.  Need some kids to step up into those spots.

Oh, i was under the impression that they were returning quite a few players. So maybe it is more of a up for grabs scenario. I'd like to know more about the other teams in the top ten . I saw the preseason poll was out but several of those teams were from up north and i do not know much about them. BHSS should be really good but i wouldn't label them as a contender just yet  . Their basketball program returns three starting seniors one of whom is committed to play at iu , so  i think a lot of the focus in the high school sports at bhss this year may fall on the basketball team I hope not because i think they have a shot at making a run in the tourney but just don't know yet.     Curious as to what castle returns as well. They fought till the end at columbus east in the regional last year. So i would think they would have some momentum from that experience.      And as always we have the irish   and i have not followed them in recent years so i have no clue what they bring this season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cathedral returns a QB, OL, LB, and S that are all getting college looks.  I read in the paper they may be very young on the OL, with possibly 3 sophomores starting.  They also lost RB1, WR1, and TE1 to graduation.

Edited by CaptainHook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cathedral plays a brutal schedule.  The depth at several key positions will be severely tested.  If CHS can make it through that stretch. They maybe ok.  Oline will be the Achilles heel. 

 

 

Edited by irishfootball1906
merge wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

No doubt everyone will be gunning for New Palestine . Theoretically after winning the 5a title by 14 points last year one could make a case that this year isn't a shoe in title year for NP.  Cathedral narrowly lost to DC last season one year could make a yuge difference. However unless someone did some serious off season improvements NP should probably coast to a title again .   How do DC and Cathedral look this season . I was under the impression dc lost some seniors off last seasons runner up team. phjindy still in the house? How  do the irish look? Other 5a speculators ? 

No one will touch NP with Charlie Spegal.   DC will still be good, they have a good defense, and the offense is just as good as it was last year.  Not sure they have enough to beat NP this year either....CHS is young upfront,  although they probably have the fastest WR core in 5a.  Homerun hitters at all 3 spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

NP does return 7 offensive starters and 8 defensive starters as well as punter and kicker.

It would be a monumental upset if NP doesn’t win the 5A state title.. they are absolutely loaded this year. Heard that Hook kid is pretty good 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olympian06 said:

It would be a monumental upset if NP doesn’t win the 5A state title.. they are absolutely loaded this year. Heard that Hook kid is pretty good 😉

No one can stop Charlie.....What position does Hook play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

It would be a monumental upset if NP doesn’t win the 5A state title.. they are absolutely loaded this year. Heard that Hook kid is pretty good 😉

If Cathedral or Dwenger win, there won't be anything "monumental" about it. I think it's ok to say that NP might be the favorite. If Cathedral or Dwenger beat them it's because they are the better team................and it might happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

No doubt everyone will be gunning for New Palestine . Theoretically after winning the 5a title by 14 points last year one could make a case that this year isn't a shoe in title year for NP.  Cathedral narrowly lost to DC last season one year could make a yuge difference. However unless someone did some serious off season improvements NP should probably coast to a title again .   How do DC and Cathedral look this season . I was under the impression dc lost some seniors off last seasons runner up team. phjindy still in the house? How  do the irish look? Other 5a speculators ? 

Favorites probably,  coast, that might be a bit much.  If the QB play is solid then I'd agree 100% that NP is the favorite.  They return a lot including the Mr Football frontrunner. Only 1 potential regular season hiccup and barring injuries I'd be surprised not to see them back at LOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

It would be a monumental upset if NP doesn’t win the 5A state title.. they are absolutely loaded this year. Heard that Hook kid is pretty good 😉

That Hook kid is probably the best football player on the team, in my opinion.   King is great, as is Spegal but Maxen is like the high school version of Ed Reed.  Love watching him play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BTF said:

If Cathedral or Dwenger win, there won't be anything "monumental" about it. I think it's ok to say that NP might be the favorite. If Cathedral or Dwenger beat them it's because they are the better team................and it might happen.

Might be the favorite? That’s comical... not even debatable they are the favorite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BTF said:

If Cathedral or Dwenger win, there won't be anything "monumental" about it. I think it's ok to say that NP might be the favorite. If Cathedral or Dwenger beat them it's because they are the better team................and it might happen.

Okay lol 

Edited by Olympian06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

Might be the favorite? That’s comical... not even debatable they are the favorite. 

No one is saying they aren't the favorite. I'm just saying that when Dwenger beats them in the state finals, it won't be a "monumental" upset.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BTF said:

No one is saying they aren't the favorite. I'm just saying that when Dwenger beats them in the state finals, it won't be a "monumental" upset.

Okay 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I'd make NP a slight favorite. And that's a compliment to NP considering how good I think Dwenger is going to be. And Dwenger will be battle tested. The SAC is a beast this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

FWIW, Maxen said Dwenger was calling their shot at the statehouse.  "We'll see you next year!"

Maybe they will, but that just might fall under the "careful what you wish for" category. 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, Valpo’s move to 5A makes them an immediate contender to rep the the North. They are going to have some very large and disruptive lines on both sides of the ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boilernation said:

IMO, Valpo’s move to 5A makes them an immediate contender to rep the the North. They are going to have some very large and disruptive lines on both sides of the ball.

agreed, Valpo's move to 5A has me worried

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

IMO, Valpo’s move to 5A makes them an immediate contender to rep the the North. They are going to have some very large and disruptive lines on both sides of the ball.

Agreed with the statement! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

agreed, Valpo's move to 5A has me worried

Agree, could be an interesting sectional matchup with them and MC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...