Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

I have a question??

With the recent seeding proposal shot down quicker than ...well I can't come up with anything "catchy" - but anyway, with it being shot down it got me wondering. The NFL/NBA commissioner has to answer to the owners of the league.

Who does the IHSAA "brass/higher ups/executive committees" quote/unquote have to "answer to??" Like...who hires these positions? And...who/do they have bosses to answer to? The IFCA presents a proposal for seeding...the IHSAA just says "NOPE"...and that is it?? The IHSAA decides they are going to do this new 1A-4A classification thing for non-football sports...and they viola - it happens! Meanwhile, their is a big contingent that thinks it would be a better idea in football to have the biggest 32 in 6A...smallest 32 in 1A, then rest split evenly...but the IHSSA says - NOPE!! 

I will admit I am ignorant on the whole deal so there may be an easy answer to this...but sometimes it just seems to me like the IHSAA higher ups are like the almighty OZ. 

• Like 3

Just now, jets said:

Who does the IHSAA "brass/higher ups/executive committees" quote/unquote have to "answer to??" Like...who hires these positions? And...who/do they have bosses to answer to?

Ultimately, the governing body of a group of members answers to … the members. The IHSAA bylaws specify the process by which the IHSAA Commissioner’s office runs the day to day activities, while the Executive Committee (elected by the Members) oversees them. Pretty much the way most corporations operate: shareholders elect a Board of Directors, who hire the CEO and oversee operations.

46 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Ultimately, the governing body of a group of members answers to … the members. The IHSAA bylaws specify the process by which the IHSAA Commissioner’s office runs the day to day activities, while the Executive Committee (elected by the Members) oversees them. Pretty much the way most corporations operate: shareholders elect a Board of Directors, who hire the CEO and oversee operations.

SO?? The IHSAA Commissioner and Assistant Commissioner's answer to the member schools?? Which...is all of us?? 

Or the Commissioner and the Assistant Commissioner's answer to the Executive Committee?? Which is ?? Who is that made up of?? And how does one get elected/appointed to that position?? 

Seems pretty vague to me....

Bobref's description is certainly correct - the members are the schools (principals), who elect the Board / Exec. Committee, which then hires the administrative staff - but the difference is the IHSAA is a quasi-governmental entity and the Commissioner pretty much controls the executive, legislative and judicial decision-making. 

jets - the Board / Executive Committee is made up of 19 members. The state is divided in to 3 geographic districts, with each district having reps from 4 enrollment classes (1A - 4A), plus 3 reps for the North & South regions (for female, minority & urban "classes") and 1 rep from p/p schools. The reps for District III (which includes our neck of the woods) are: Jeff Doyle (Barr-Reeve), Tim Grove (N. Knox), Larry Cochren (Washington) and Tom Black (East Central). Joe Hermann of Mater Dei is the p/p rep, but is retiring at the end of the school year so there will be a new person elected.  

The IHSAA works for the member schools.

The Executive staff of the IHSAA runs the organization on a daily basis.

That staff answers to the executive committee which is made up of roughly 20 members from across the state. The ExCom is made up of administrators at local districts who speak on behalf  the remainder of the members representing a variety of size, geography, and type of school. They are elected at varying intervals by the member schools. And they in turn decide on hiring and firing of Executive Staff. 

The IHSAA does not take its cues from any coaching organizations, but they have shown the willingness to have conversations. In order to enact change you need to have a majority of the executive committee and executive staff on board, as they have proven to attempt to work together on concerns. 

• Like 1

Appreciate the responses gentlemen - thank you very much. 

So, next question then- when a seeding proposal is shot down by a 16-0 vote (or whatever it was), it that vote done by the Executive committee?? (Who, according to my reading, is NOT made up of principals - but rather AD's?) 

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

You guys also seem to be under the impression that principals give two shits about seeding. Certainly some do, but for the masses, nobody cares. And make no mistake it is the principals who pull the weight, not the AD’s. 

As it should be.