Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Nickname Hall of Fame

18 minutes ago, Coach Jennings said:

We at Whiting do have a large oil refinery but that is not the source of our mascot.  Our mascot actually came from the railroad.  Railroad tracks surround Whiting and apparently large dudes called "Oilers" used to oil up the wheels of trains as they were stopped in Whiting.  That's why our mascot is an oil can.  

The more you know... 😄

And Whiting, IN, home of the Mascot Hall of Fame!!!!  

Though, I think with BJ as the new HC, time to start the official petitions of ditching the Oilers and going to the Fighting Perogi's!!!!    Fits the staff's fitness well!!!   Cheers Mate 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So there have been absolutely zero additions, renovations, etc. to the current HH high school building since the Jackson Central/Walnut Grove consolidation that formed Hamilton Heights?

The current building didn't exist until 30 years after the consolidation. Please work on your reading comprehension.

5 hours ago, Mod22 said:

How about the

Gladiators of Hammond Gavit

Governors of Hammond Morton

Pioneers of Hammond Clark

The Gladiators did make this list, or at least an honorable mention, so they have that going for them.  The Governors, although unnamed, is a swell nickname and should be properly represented.  Pioneers?  Too common, as many other squads, such as Boonville and Mooresville (among others) use the moniker.   I dig originality and creativity, PC is also a must...

39 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

And Whiting, IN, home of the Mascot Hall of Fame!!!!  

Though, I think with BJ as the new HC, time to start the official petitions of ditching the Oilers and going to the Fighting Perogi's!!!!    Fits the staff's fitness well!!!   Cheers Mate 

I could go for some Pierogi, maybe a kielbasa or paprikash, and won't rule out goulash...

Assume Clarksville Generals take their name from George Rogers Clark. The city of Clarksville was part of the “Clark Grant” as was most of Clark and Floyd Counties.

Floyd Central Highlanders, assuming because they are the shining beacon on top of the hill.

Being born, raised, and lived in Seymour all my life, I don't know the story behind our mascot. Though they don't have Football, Muncie Burris's mascot is also Owls. As I have pointed out many times, Owls are ferocious raptors.

My dad was a graduate of Rockville, and he never knew the point of their mascot being the Rox.

Shoals has the largest free standing table rock formation east of the Mississippi, named the Jug Rock. I've never seen it, but I've seen the sign flash by on 50 as I drive someplace else.

As far as the Millers of Noblesville, I would ask @LysanderI'd wait until the early morning hours.

16 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

The current building didn't exist until 30 years after the consolidation. Please work on your reading comprehension.

My reading comprehension is just fine, thank you.  It is just based on your intentionally convoluted explanation of the northern Hamilton county government school consolidation process.  Again, have there been any additions, renovations, etc. to the current HH high school building since the Jackson Central/Walnut Grove consolidation that formed Hamilton Heights in 1965?  

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Assume Clarksville Generals take their name from George Rogers Clark. The city of Clarksville was part of the “Clark Grant” as was most of Clark and Floyd Counties.

Floyd Central Highlanders, assuming because they are the shining beacon on top of the hill.

Being born, raised, and lived in Seymour all my life, I don't know the story behind our mascot. Though they don't have Football, Muncie Burris's mascot is also Owls. As I have pointed out many times, Owls are ferocious raptors.

My dad was a graduate of Rockville, and he never knew the point of their mascot being the Rox.

Shoals has the largest free standing table rock formation east of the Mississippi, named the Jug Rock. I've never seen it, but I've seen the sign flash by on 50 as I drive someplace else.

As far as the Millers of Noblesville, I would ask @LysanderI'd wait until the early morning hours.

I love Wikipedia--it got me through grad school.  According to that website, a miller is one who mills flour...

Owls--groovy nickname--just ask Bill Cosby (Temple University)

1 minute ago, Gipper said:

I love Wikipedia--it got me through grad school.  According to that website, a miller is one who mills flour...

Actually I knew most of it. I have driven past the Jug Rock since I was a kid with my parents and grand parents, I've heard the story a thousand times. 

I learned about Clarksville in MS history. 

I would still suggest contacting @Lysander in the early morning hours.....ask him about any subject, it's certain to be entertaining. 

6 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Actually I knew most of it. I have driven past the Jug Rock since I was a kid with my parents and grand parents, I've heard the story a thousand times. 

I would still suggest contacting @Lysander in the early morning hours.....ask him about any subject, it's certain to be entertaining. 

Will do--good guy.  With that, I have a few that need to be mentioned: Crawfordsville Athenians, Bishop Dwenger (or Indianapolis Lutheran for our Protestant friends) Saints, Fort Wayne North Legends, Speedway Sparkplugs, and Sullivan Golden Arrows...

15 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

My reading comprehension is just fine, thank you.  It is just based on your intentionally convoluted explanation of the northern Hamilton county government school consolidation process.  Again, have there been any additions, renovations, etc. to the current HH high school building since the Jackson Central/Walnut Grove consolidation that formed Hamilton Heights in 1965?  

No

Lots of creativity across the great land of ours:

Alamosa, CO Mean Moose

Omaha Benson (NE) Mighy Bunnies

Chinook, MN Sugar Beeters

Hoopeston, IL Cornjerkers

Manitowoc, WI Ships

Mitchell, SD Kernels

Rocky Ford, CO Meloneers

Teutopolis, IL Wooden Shoes

Watersmeet, MI  Nimrods

Then again, some still lack creativity: Huntsville Grissom (AL) Tigers, Ironwood, MI Red Devils, Richland, WA Bombers

3 minutes ago, ts32 said:

Slicers - I feel sorry for your golf team 🤣

You guys should be up there as well!  Miners--good one--as I know that's what a lot of you guys do.  Conversely, I don't believe Monon, Montgomery, Reynolds, or Valparaiso has a large Scandinavian population which leads me to question their Vikings handle...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

No

Hmmmm.  If you say so gonzo:    https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/2017/06/08/four-big-school-renovations-coming-hamilton-county-summer/360255001/

This summer, the smaller, northern district is renovating band, choir, agriculture, business and engineering areas in the high school. The cafeteria, media center and science labs have already been renovated into more open, flexible, modern-looking spaces.

52 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Lew Wallace Jr. High (Brookville) 7th Grade - “Ticks”

Lew Wallace Jr. High (Brookville) 8th Grade - “Fleas”

Unfortunately “Tapeworm” and “Maggot” must have been taken.

PS - IO, check the time stamp on this post.

Edited by Lysander
  • Haha 2