Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lets End this RPO Madness

Guest DT

22 hours ago, DT said:

Karlaftis looked exactly like what he was in 2019.  A young freshman playing with older men.  Lets see how he develops.  

Karlaftis tied for the team lead with 7.5 sacks, led the team in hurries and TFL, and was named a Freshman All American. Sounds like a stud to me.

Edited by AG
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, AG said:

Karlaftis tied for the team lead with 7.5 sacks, led the team in hurries and TFL, and was named a Freshman All American. Sounds like a stud to me.

Hes well positioned for a great career.  Now its up to the staff to surround him with talent.  Brohm could turn out to be one of those guys thats gets labeled for paying too much attention to the offense and letting his assistants handle  the defense.  

"You can have a talented player that can move, he’s fast, strong, but football is a violent sport and if you don’t embrace the violence it’s tough to compete."

Todd Ricci, father of ***** OL recruit Nolan Ricci.

Although the three yards and a cloud of dust is a swell approach, it should not be the only scheme as that would make the offense one-dimensional.  With that, an OC worth it’s salt will also use the fly, go, and wheel routes, trips to the right or left, the Hail Mary (which is the greatest football play there is) as well as other long bombs, and spread offense.

The game, much like life, is ever changing and evolving.  Keep up or turn on ESPN Classic.

33 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Although the three yards and a cloud of dust is a swell approach, it should not be the only scheme as that would make the offense one-dimensional.  With that, an OC worth it’s salt will also use the fly, go, and wheel routes, trips to the right or left, the Hail Mary (which is the greatest football play there is) as well as other long bombs, and spread offense.

The game, much like life, is ever changing and evolving.  Keep up or turn on ESPN Classic.

Passes are illegal in rugby...

On 4/1/2020 at 9:34 AM, DT said:

RPO has basically reduced offensive football to a simple read and react decision by the QB. 

Oh SIMPLE...

Wheels fall off in a hurry if you don't have a the trio of guys to make the "simple" concept look "simple".

Would argue that there is nothing more simple than 7 down lineman man on man blocking and a QB turning to hand it to a RB behind two FBs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoosier Hawk said:

Oh SIMPLE...

Wheels fall off in a hurry if you don't have a the trio of guys to make the "simple" concept look "simple".

Would argue that there is nothing more simple than 7 down lineman man on man blocking and a QB turning to hand it to a RB behind two FBs.

The way it was meant to be.

Our biggest strongest toughest guys against your biggest strongest toughest guys.

No shenanigans.

No tomfoolery

No ballyhoo

7 minutes ago, DT said:

Our biggest strongest toughest guys against your biggest strongest toughest guys.

No shenanigans.

No tomfoolery

No ballyhoo

Any room for malarkey?  🙃

DT is a great heel! I can't believe that he keeps getting responses from the fans, but by golly everyone loves to hate him.  DT clearly states ridiculous ideas just to get a reaction.  

I used to get annoyed by him, but now I finally understand his gimmick.  Well Played.

9 hours ago, DT said:

No shenanigans.

No tomfoolery

No ballyhoo

No peanut butter and jelly sandwiches either.

10 hours ago, MarkCalaway said:

DT is a great heel! I can't believe that he keeps getting responses from the fans, but by golly everyone loves to hate him.  DT clearly states ridiculous ideas just to get a reaction.  

I used to get annoyed by him, but now I finally understand his gimmick.  Well Played.

🤣

On 4/3/2020 at 2:17 PM, TrojanDad said:

I am not sold one bit on Mayfield...and its not a size thing and its not the Browns.  Its a head thing....a maturity thing.  When Manning came to the Colts, they were horrific.  Polian did draft them out of it, but Manning not only had the physicial characteristics, but brains, maturity and leadershipMayfield, not in Manning's league in all of those categories.  

Some smaller players like Brees and Wilson have excelled....but they are indeed in the minority in the NFL.  There is a reason why scouts and GM's typically go after the QB's with size and arm strength.  We could also list QB's that are smaller that haven't panned out as well....or had average careers.  

If Mayfield grows up, that would be a nice start and then who knows.  But today, I am not sold at all.  But he can shotgun a beer when the cameras are on him.

Comments are spot on.  I always thought of Baker Mayfield as a "lite" version of Johnny Football.  Not quite as extreme in his conduct, or having the same bad decision making ability, but still the same type of guy.  But back to the RPO topic......

On 4/4/2020 at 9:08 AM, Gipper said:

Amen.  When my oldest was a freshman IIRC, our varsity had probably the best offense in the school's 11-man history.  To me, the textbook definition of a perfectly balanced offense or close as you can get with a small school team.  We would force the ground n' pound teams to commit to the run then burn them in the air.  They found out long, clock-eating drives got them nowhere when suddenly down by 3-4 TD's mid-2nd quarter.  In fact, the ball control worked against them as it took them so long to score, they didn't have time to pull even with us.  Some of these teams only had a handful of passing plays that they worked on sparingly.  By halftime, the game was basically over. 

• Thanks 1