Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Corona and Fall Sports

32 minutes ago, Bobref said:

There is a 0% chance that an effective vaccine could be developed, mass produced, distributed, and administered in 2020.

I agree. There is a very slim chance that an effective vaccine will be developed at all.

34 minutes ago, Bobref said:

There is a 0% chance that an effective vaccine could be developed, mass produced, distributed, and administered in 2020.

Two things on that. I think over a vaccine, is a viable treatment. Something that keeps the majority out of hospital. Secondly, H1N1 came to USA in April 2009, we had a vaccine by September 2009 that was distributed. They can do it....will they? I don't know.

1 minute ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

Is the consensus here honestly that a treatment or vaccine is a perquisite to resume some semblance of "normal" activity?  I'm not even talking about play of any sports, I'm saying people going back to work (if they feel comfortable), stay at home orders lifted, etc.

I honestly do believe that. I can assure you that there is nothing more I want than to play football this year. I just honestly think that we will not relax social distancing fully enough to do so until there is a way to treat this thing. I hope I am wrong, but I watch this thing develop at work and it is bad.

So, when do you (anyone) think the latest date would be for teams to start practice and still be able to get season in. The way I see it, limited opening up looks to be by end of May/early June. if not until mid or end of June, is that still enough time?

45 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Summer will roll like normal. Scrimmages on 8/14. 

NYC, the “epicenter” of this crisis, is looking to reopen schools, per DeBlasio. 

Per Cuomo. Not DeBlasio. 

8 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

Per Cuomo. Not DeBlasio. 

That's is really interesting that they would re-open schools after all the "belly aching" Cuomo was doing about how poorly the Federal Gov't (insert Trump if you like ) was handling/supporting them on this. 

4 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Summer will roll like normal. Scrimmages on 8/14. 

NYC, the “epicenter” of this crisis, is looking to reopen schools, per DeBlasio. 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-spain-to-lift-some-of-its-covid-19-lockdown-rules-11972473

Spain is beginning to roll back some of its lockdown restrictions.  It will be an interesting case study to watch.

4 hours ago, psaboy said:

What is the Texas lead??

Texas Governor Abbott is looking to slowly lift current restrictions; looking to strike a balance between the safety of the people of Texas and the economic state of of Texas. 

That said, we need to be careful trying to return to "normal" too soon. Japan is just a month into having lifted restrictions, and a 2nd wave is hitting them hard now. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/13/832981899/emergency-declared-in-japanese-prefecture-hit-by-2nd-wave-of-coronavirus-infecti?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR0NNy1juQwC76lqmK7G6v-60HnwegURJ8PMV6o5YCuLfhUkT-IYEbR0aZM

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Texas Governor Abbott is looking to slowly lift current restrictions; looking to strike a balance between the safety of the people of Texas and the economic state of of Texas. 

That said, we need to be careful trying to return to "normal" too soon. Japan is just a month into having lifted restrictions, and a 2nd wave is hitting them hard now. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/13/832981899/emergency-declared-in-japanese-prefecture-hit-by-2nd-wave-of-coronavirus-infecti?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR0NNy1juQwC76lqmK7G6v-60HnwegURJ8PMV6o5YCuLfhUkT-IYEbR0aZM

I feel this shelter in place/home needs to stay on until end of May. Opening back up to soon will have same result here as what Japan is seeing. Another 5-6 weeks can be tolerated as opposed to getting back to soon and having a major set back and having to do this again for another 2-3 months. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, psaboy said:

I feel this shelter in place/home needs to stay on until end of May. Opening back up to soon will have same result here as what Japan is seeing. Another 5-6 weeks can be tolerated as opposed to getting back to soon and having a major set back and having to do this again for another 2-3 months. 

What is it that makes the end of May an appropriate stopping place? Do you anticipate that we will have “flattened the curve” so that deaths will level off at a rate that is “acceptable?” What rate is that? Because this virus is not going away. Until there is a vaccine, a significant segment of the population will be at constant risk of mortal illness. The only way to keep our at-risk population safe is to keep significant restrictions in place until there is a vaccine, or at least an accepted, well-tested treatment regimen that works. Otherwise, there is the potential for our elderly population to be decimated ... as we are seeing in some nursing homes across the country, including Anderson, IN. https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-04-12/nursing-homes-deaths-soar-past-2-600-in-alarming-surge

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

What is it that makes the end of May an appropriate stopping place? Do you anticipate that we will have “flattened the curve” so that deaths will level off at a rate that is “acceptable?” What rate is that? Because this virus is not going away. Until there is a vaccine, a significant segment of the population will be at constant risk of mortal illness. The only way to keep our at-risk population safe is to keep significant restrictions in place until there is a vaccine, or at least an accepted, well-tested treatment regimen that works. Otherwise, there is the potential for our elderly population to be decimated ... as we are seeing in some nursing homes across the country, including Anderson, IN. https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-04-12/nursing-homes-deaths-soar-past-2-600-in-alarming-surge

From my understanding, a vaccine won't be available till the end of this year at the earliest or early 2021. I doubt our society will be able to handle shelter on place/home restrictions for another 8-10 months. Vaccines have been available for decades but people still get that illness. So, I assuming you feel these restrictions need to go on at least till end of the year? That will be hard on schools and other business and may cause a "societal collapse. At some point this needs to be managed. By that, I mean slowly open up and lift restrictions, monitor and adjust as needed. 

I genuinely don’t understand the push for a vaccine. There are flu vaccines now. You have a choice to have one or not. People die from the flu every year, with or without the vaccine. 

Be smart. Be careful. Let’s ROLL!  

45 minutes ago, psaboy said:

From my understanding, a vaccine won't be available till the end of this year at the earliest or early 2021. I doubt our society will be able to handle shelter on place/home restrictions for another 8-10 months. Vaccines have been available for decades but people still get that illness. So, I assuming you feel these restrictions need to go on at least till end of the year? That will be hard on schools and other business and may cause a "societal collapse. At some point this needs to be managed. By that, I mean slowly open up and lift restrictions, monitor and adjust as needed. 

I’m certainly open-minded on the subject, as we’re learning new things every day. But I cannot see any justification for allowing large gatherings of people before there’s a vaccine. And as for “Vaccines have been available for decades but people still get that illness,” I presume you’re talking about the “flu,” i.e., the many different strains of influenza viruses. The comparison is a misleading and dangerous one for many reasons, not the least of which is that SARS-CoV-2 is at least twice as contagious as the flu, and between 15 to 20 times more likely to be lethal. The acuity is even higher in the vulnerable population.

“Flattening the Curve” is another way of saying we’re fighting a delaying action. Given time and the absence of restrictions and no vaccine, virtually every person in the US will be exposed to the virus. The object of the current strategy is to stretch that time frame out as long as possible, while working to develop a vaccine as quickly as possible. The sooner we can insert a vaccine into that timeline, the more people will have immunity when they are eventually exposed. 

10 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

I genuinely don’t understand the push for a vaccine. There are flu vaccines now. You have a choice to have one or not. People die from the flu every year, with or without the vaccine. 

Be smart. Be careful. Let’s ROLL!  

When was the last time someone died of smallpox? Or polio? Vaccines essentially eradicated those two horrible viral diseases. The hope is a vaccine may do the same to SARS-CoV-2. 

And please stop comparing COVID-19 to influenza. The comparison is inapposite and dangerous.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

Has there been a vaccine for death that I'm not aware of?  Some way to prevent it? Every life is precious and every death is tragic.  But last time I checked, living has a 100% mortality rate.   

You are absolutely right, there are populations vulnerable to this particular virus.  So we should do everything we can to protect them.  That needs to be the focus of our efforts and resources.  Not sending police to keep kids off playground equipment. 

Just now, oldtimeqb said:

Has there been a vaccine for death that I'm not aware of?  Some way to prevent it? Every life is precious and every death is tragic.  But last time I checked, living has a 100% mortality rate.   

You are absolutely right, there are populations vulnerable to this particular virus.  So we should do everything we can to protect them.  That needs to be the focus of our efforts and resources.  Not sending police to keep kids off playground equipment. 

So, the answer is to isolate the vulnerable population while everyone else leads “normal” lives? Have you tried to get into a nursing home recently? I have, and it’s next to impossible. Isolation is what they’re trying to do now. And even now while we’re sheltering in place,” you still see the tragic results when the virus gets into a nursing home. Assuming you could ethically justify it, there’s no practical way to make it work in the long term. And even if it did, what do we do about the diabetics, the people on chemotherapy, the people with auto-immune diseases like lupus or Crohn’s, the people taking anti-rejection drugs after transplants, all the people with less than robust immune systems? You must understand, when you’re talking about focusing on protecting the vulnerable population, you’re talking about upwards of 50 million people. If you can think of a practical way to protect 50 million people without restricting the other 250 million living side by side with them, let somebody know.

12 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m certainly open-minded on the subject, as we’re learning new things every day. But I cannot see any justification for allowing large gatherings of people before there’s a vaccine. And as for “Vaccines have been available for decades but people still get that illness,” I presume you’re talking about the “flu,” i.e., the many different strains of influenza viruses. The comparison is a misleading and dangerous one for many reasons, not the least of which is that SARS-CoV-2 is at least twice as contagious as the flu, and between 15 to 20 times more likely to be lethal. The acuity is even higher in the vulnerable population.

“Flattening the Curve” is another way of saying we’re fighting a delaying action. Given time and the absence of restrictions and no vaccine, virtually every person in the US will be exposed to the virus. The object of the current strategy is to stretch that time frame out as long as possible, while working to develop a vaccine as quickly as possible. The sooner we can insert a vaccine into that timeline, the more people will have immunity when they are eventually exposed. 

I feel a lot of people have already been exposed and have "fought" off the virus. I know these replies are all opinions and you know what they say about those. I respect your position, just don't think it is realistic to have to wait for vaccine to open schools and other places or businesses that require gatherings. I guess we will see. JMO 😀

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

When was the last time someone died of smallpox? Or polio? Vaccines essentially eradicated those two horrible viral diseases. The hope is a vaccine may do the same to SARS-CoV-2. 

And please stop comparing COVID-19 to influenza. The comparison is inapposite and dangerous.

I stand by my assessment.  You stand by yours.  See you in August!  There will be football.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Please stop comparing COVID-19 to smallpox or polio.

59 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I feel a lot of people have already been exposed and have "fought" off the virus. I know these replies are all opinions and you know what they say about those. I respect your position, just don't think it is realistic to have to wait for vaccine to open schools and other places or businesses that require gatherings. I guess we will see. JMO 😀

I have fought off the virus.  EVERY symptom of COVID-19, I had in January.  Let's ROLL!