Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Corona and Fall Sports

11 minutes ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

At the expense of the bodies of those underclassmen going through essentially two seasons in 9 months?  Comparing it to this off season being shortened isn't applicable when you consider the total recovery time from last year to this year is still roughly the same, kids just can't be involved in "traditional" off-season conditioning.  Look, at the end of the day it's like Sophie's choice and I don't want to miss out on any time, but I would rather say let's postpone the start of the season to after labor day and cut a week or two off of the regular season to see if that gives us enough clearance for the powers that be rather than put the long term health of those underclassmen on the line.  

If they were to flip, I would want a schedule that is more along the lines of a 2 week "camp," a 5 week regular season, and then start the tournament.  Then, in the fall of 2021, something very similar, but maybe a bit more extended, say perhaps a 7 week regular season.  No, it's not full seasons.  No, coaches aren't going to like it, but I mean, if we're going to think "outside the box" it needs to be a little more than "let's just flip the fall and spring sport seasons."  Play a 9 week regular season, plus a tournament from March to May and then another 9 week regular season plus a tournament from late August to November?  That's at least 20 games in 9 months, 30 in 10 if you advance very far in the tournament.  That would have been a bit much for me in high school, and all I did was play football by the time I was an upperclassman.  It's all a nightmare regardless...

I had mentioned this when discussing a shortened or no baseball season and going right into the tournament. This is an example of where the crazy all-in, random draw works. If we have to play a shortened regular season or no regular season, we can still hold the tournament as we've always done. Who knew the IHSAA was more prepared for a Pandemic than any other organization out there?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I had mentioned this when discussing a shortened or no baseball season and going right into the tournament. This is an example of where the crazy all-in, random draw works. If we have to play a shortened regular season or no regular season, we can still hold the tournament as we've always done. Who knew the IHSAA was more prepared for a Pandemic than any other organization out there?

Just curious.......As an official, how much of a nightmare would scheduling of officials be if the football season shifted to a Spring season?

1 hour ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

At the expense of the bodies of those underclassmen going through essentially two seasons in 9 months?  Comparing it to this off season being shortened isn't applicable when you consider the total recovery time from last year to this year is still roughly the same, kids just can't be involved in "traditional" off-season conditioning.  Look, at the end of the day it's like Sophie's choice and I don't want to miss out on any time, but I would rather say let's postpone the start of the season to after labor day and cut a week or two off of the regular season to see if that gives us enough clearance for the powers that be rather than put the long term health of those underclassmen on the line.  

If they were to flip, I would want a schedule that is more along the lines of a 2 week "camp," a 5 week regular season, and then start the tournament.  Then, in the fall of 2021, something very similar, but maybe a bit more extended, say perhaps a 7 week regular season.  No, it's not full seasons.  No, coaches aren't going to like it, but I mean, if we're going to think "outside the box" it needs to be a little more than "let's just flip the fall and spring sport seasons."  Play a 9 week regular season, plus a tournament from March to May and then another 9 week regular season plus a tournament from late August to November?  That's at least 20 games in 9 months, 30 in 10 if you advance very far in the tournament.  That would have been a bit much for me in high school, and all I did was play football by the time I was an upperclassman.  It's all a nightmare regardless...

If it needs to be shortened then so be it.. shortened is better than nothing. I don't want to see anymore kids go through what this years winter and spring kids did. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

If it needs to be shortened then so be it.. shortened is better than nothing. I don't want to see anymore kids go through what this years winter and spring kids did. 

So let's run this scenario through; the IHSAA flips like Ohio's governing body has proposed, spring sports in the fall, fall in the spring.  Another wave of this hits in the fall, as some have projected it will, and schools are forced again to close as well as the cancellation of all sports to be played in the fall, which if we flip would be the traditional spring sports. So, in essence, traditional spring sports see a full two season loss of competition. That would be awful, but would we be okay with this versus the loss of a traditional fall sport season? Financially, many would say yes because football is a big revenue producer...

1 minute ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

So let's run this scenario through; the IHSAA flips like Ohio's governing body has proposed, spring sports in the fall, fall in the spring.  Another wave of this hits in the fall, as some have projected it will, and schools are forced again to close as well as the cancellation of all sports to be played in the fall, which if we flip would be the traditional spring sports. So, in essence, traditional spring sports see a full two season loss of competition. That would be awful, but would we be okay with this versus the loss of a traditional fall sport season? Financially, many would say yes because football is a big revenue producer...

This is very speculative.. the idea is flopping for sports that don't have as many fans sitting in the bleachers, and are not "contact" based. The truth is going to eventually come out.. the media has everyone thinking that this virus is a nail in the coffin, its not. The stats are showing it. It just came out that 2 people died in Cali 3 weeks prior to what they thought was first death. They did an autopsy and the were positive. That means they caught this in mid Jan, neither had traveled. So what changed from January to March... media. These antibody test are going to let us understand so much more about this virus..

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

This is very speculative.. the idea is flopping for sports that don't have as many fans sitting in the bleachers, and are not "contact" based. The truth is going to eventually come out.. the media has everyone thinking that this virus is a nail in the coffin, its not. The stats are showing it. It just came out that 2 people died in Cali 3 weeks prior to what they thought was first death. They did an autopsy and the were positive. That means they caught this in mid Jan, neither had traveled. So what changed from January to March... media. These antibody test are going to let us understand so much more about this virus..

I'm confident we will be playing football this fall and starting on time. The media likes to play up the worst case scenarios and ignore anything that goes against that narrative.  The only way we don't start on time is because of the pressure applied by a single-minded media.  We the people are seeing through it.

6 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

I'm confident we will be playing football this fall and starting on time. The media likes to play up the worst case scenarios and ignore anything that goes against that narrative.  The only way we don't start on time is because of the pressure applied by a single-minded media.  We the people are seeing through it.

Speak for yourself. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

Just wondering who the “we” is you kept referring to.

The first two times I put "we" it was referring to the high school teams around the state.  The last "we" represents the people of the United States.  I can see the lawyer coming out in you here.  

I hope I'm right and that your wrong on this one.  Time will tell.  There is still a lot of time between now and football season.

The NFL draft is about to start and I don't want to get into a guessing game contest over the pandemic.  Take care.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

The first two times I put "we" it was referring to the high school teams around the state.  The last "we" represents the people of the United States.  I can see the lawyer coming out in you here.  

I hope I'm right and that your wrong on this one.  Time will tell.  There is still a lot of time between now and football season.

The NFL draft is about to start and I don't want to get into a guessing game contest over the pandemic.  Take care.

I’m not so sure you’re authorized to speak for the American people. Just wanted to make clear not to include me in that sentiment. Having said that, I agree with you. I hope you’re right and I’m wrong, too. But most of all, I hope whoever makes the call makes the right one.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Irishman said:

Just curious.......As an official, how much of a nightmare would scheduling of officials be if the football season shifted to a Spring season?

Hard to say. At a minimum it would be a scramble. The schools would probably start with the 4-5 crews they hired for the Fall and keep them assigned to the same games if they are available. Some guys may have conflicts in the Spring, but I have no idea how to predict that. The same could happen if they shorten the regular season in the Fall which would result in schedule changes.

One other possibility though is we always see an increase in new official when in tougher financial times. This would definitely quality. If you are looking to pick up some extra cash to help pay bills, officiating can be a decent side hustle.

• Thanks 1

Here's the issue though some people have been social distancing, but I can tell that alot people are not. Look at Menards, Meijer. Most "essential" workers, down to the person working at Taco Bell have not social distanced other than not going out to eat. If these antibody test really do start to show 90 percent asymptomatic (opinion- which I believe they will) what is the end game. I personally say everyone where a mask and go back to school/work take hygiene precautions and isolate the vulnerable (nursing homes, at risk elderly) There would be no way to not spread it, unless we shut EVERYTHING  down. Even with reduced class size we would still be spreading.  Especially since you can't tell who is infected. A LARGE majority of the hospitalizations are people over 80 that are in bad shape. I'm not saying that there isn't others, and yes we all know or have heard of a perfectly healthy young person passing, but reality is that is far and few in between. The death statistics show it for Indiana population 6,800,000

Age.       Deaths
0-19: zero deaths
20-29: 1 death
30-39: 5 deaths
40-49: 18 deaths 
50-59: 49 deaths
60-69: 157 deaths
70-79: 231 deaths
80+: 354 deaths. 
Not to mention that now we are finding out its been here since January. People were just getting sent home with an inhaler being told it was an upper respiratory infection. So much will be figured out in the coming month. I personally had a serum test yesterday for the states study, so we will see. I'm really not trying to sound morbid or am I saying this isn't a big deal, but its just my opinion. Take precautions and ease back into things. The toll this will take on our economic standing in theis world is going to be unrebuildable, it will cause more deaths. Food chains are going to be broken. When you cant go to the store and get food what are we going to do?

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 7:00 PM, Bobref said:

Just wondering who the “we” is you kept referring to.

He may not be speaking of me directly, but him and me, equals we. 

On 4/23/2020 at 7:29 PM, Bobref said:

I’m not so sure you’re authorized to speak for the American people. Just wanted to make clear not to include me in that sentiment. Having said that, I agree with you. I hope you’re right and I’m wrong, too. But most of all, I hope whoever makes the call makes the right one.

He knows. He always knows. 

40 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

Here's the issue though some people have been social distancing, but I can tell that alot people are not. Look at Menards, Meijer. Most "essential" workers, down to the person working at Taco Bell have not social distanced other than not going out to eat. If these antibody test really do start to show 90 percent asymptomatic (opinion- which I believe they will) what is the end game. I personally say everyone where a mask and go back to school/work take hygiene precautions and isolate the vulnerable (nursing homes, at risk elderly) There would be no way to not spread it, unless we shut EVERYTHING  down. Even with reduced class size we would still be spreading.  Especially since you can't tell who is infected. A LARGE majority of the hospitalizations are people over 80 that are in bad shape. I'm not saying that there isn't others, and yes we all know or have heard of a perfectly healthy young person passing, but reality is that is far and few in between. The death statistics show it for Indiana population 6,800,000

Age.       Deaths
0-19: zero deaths
20-29: 1 death
30-39: 5 deaths
40-49: 18 deaths 
50-59: 49 deaths
60-69: 157 deaths
70-79: 231 deaths
80+: 354 deaths. 
Not to mention that now we are finding out its been here since January. People were just getting sent home with an inhaler being told it was an upper respiratory infection. So much will be figured out in the coming month. I personally had a serum test yesterday for the states study, so we will see. I'm really not trying to sound morbid or am I saying this isn't a big deal, but its just my opinion. Take precautions and ease back into things. The toll this will take on our economic standing in theis world is going to be unrebuildable, it will cause more deaths. Food chains are going to be broken. When you cant go to the store and get food what are we going to do?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/serious-coronavirus-related-condition-may-114858433.html

FTA:

Doctors in the UK have reported a serious new coronavirus-related condition emerging in children, with growing numbers now requiring intensive care.

An "urgent alert" sent out to general practitioners in London in the last three weeks warns of "an apparent rise in the number of children of all ages presenting with a multisystem inflammatory state requiring intensive care" according to a report by the Health Service Journal.

The alert warned that "there is a growing concern that a [COVID-19] related inflammatory syndrome is emerging in children in the UK, or that there may be another, as yet unidentified, infectious pathogen associated with these cases."

A separate alert, sent out by the Paediatric Intensive Care Society, urges doctors to "please refer children presenting with these symptoms as a matter of urgency," according to the HSJ.

The condition has been found both among children who have tested positive for the coronavirus and those that have not.

The symptoms of the condition are "toxic shock syndrome and atypical Kawasaki Disease with blood parameters consistent with severe COVID-19 in children," as well as "Abdominal pain and gastrointestinal symptoms" and "cardiac inflammation."

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/education/2020/04/28/indiana-coronavirus-holcomb-schools-fall-semester-education/3038614001/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This is continued talk about the way school will look to start next year. Districts are being asked to prepare for digital learning to continue with the start of the school year and the possibility of starting later. 

Obviously, this will impact sports. It will be very interesting to see how the IHSAA will handle that. Will there be delays? Cancellations? 

We hope not. And we won't know for at least a few weeks. I do appreciate that the state is not trying to move too quickly on a decision for next year with this, but I still think May is a bit early to decide on that, given the seemingly fluid nature of this situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/serious-coronavirus-related-condition-may-114858433.html

FTA:

Doctors in the UK have reported a serious new coronavirus-related condition emerging in children, with growing numbers now requiring intensive care.

An "urgent alert" sent out to general practitioners in London in the last three weeks warns of "an apparent rise in the number of children of all ages presenting with a multisystem inflammatory state requiring intensive care" according to a report by the Health Service Journal.

The alert warned that "there is a growing concern that a [COVID-19] related inflammatory syndrome is emerging in children in the UK, or that there may be another, as yet unidentified, infectious pathogen associated with these cases."

A separate alert, sent out by the Paediatric Intensive Care Society, urges doctors to "please refer children presenting with these symptoms as a matter of urgency," according to the HSJ.

The condition has been found both among children who have tested positive for the coronavirus and those that have not.

The symptoms of the condition are "toxic shock syndrome and atypical Kawasaki Disease with blood parameters consistent with severe COVID-19 in children," as well as "Abdominal pain and gastrointestinal symptoms" and "cardiac inflammation."

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has yet to see something similar in the United States, which has the greatest number of coronavirus infections and deaths."We are not aware of any reports of this phenomenon in the United States," Dr. Yvonne Maldonado, who chairs the academy's committee on infectious disease, said in an email, referring to a potential link between COVID-19 and Kawasaki-type symptoms.

Dr. Sean O’Leary, a paediatric infectious diseases expert at Children's Hospital Colorado who is part of that AAP committee, said his hospital has seen several cases of Kawasaki this year, but none in the more than 30 children admitted for COVID-19.

"Even if it is related, is a very rare complication," he said. "If it were more common, we'd already have a pretty good idea about it in the United States."

Sorry if this was mentioned as I did not scroll through all 7 pages of the thread but I heard a rumor that a state close to us is considering flipping spring and fall sports should things get closer to normal this fall.  Their notion was that it is easier to social distance at track, baseball and softball events than it is at football games.

Thoughts?  Probability it would ever fly?

17 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Sorry if this was mentioned as I did not scroll through all 7 pages of the thread but I heard a rumor that a state close to us is considering flipping spring and fall sports should things get closer to normal this fall.  Their notion was that it is easier to social distance at track, baseball and softball events than it is at football games.

Thoughts?  Probability it would ever fly?