Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cancel Tournament Now - End Season and Count Your Blessings

Guest DT

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

The IHSAA is a 100% private institution.  The state of Indiana providing it taxpayer money to cover operating costs would be a gross misappropriation of public funds and probably unconstitutional.

Noted

The IHSAA is a beloved institution with great nostalgic memories for many Indiana residents past and present.  If public money were not available for a bailout, private funds certainly would be.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Therer is always a bailout if government deems it a good investment in tax dollars.

I doubt the state would allow the IHSAA to fail due to economic calamity caused by COVID.  The state will fund any short term gaps as needed and until the IHSAA can get back on its feet under normal circumstances.

You do realize that the IHSAA isn't a state/government/public entity, don't you?

Edit: Just saw responses on following page, but can't delete the post.

Edited by foxbat

1 minute ago, foxbat said:

You do realize that the IHSAA isn't a state/government/public entity, don't you?

I thought it was an extension of the public school government run entity   The line of demarcation between the two is very minimal, almost invisible.  The working relationship that IHSAA has with Indiana public schools would make them appear to fall under the same governing authority

15 minutes ago, DT said:

The IHSAA is a beloved institution with great nostalgic memories for many Indiana residents past and present.  If public money were not available for a bailout, private funds certainly would be.

Agreed.  Perhaps they should solicit donations from private entities to help them through this lean time.

14 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Agreed.  Perhaps they should solicit donations from private entities to help them through this lean time.

Thats actually a great idea.  Someone here who is rabidly pro post season should take on that endeavor.

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Yes, with the aforementioned asterisk (*) next to each 2020 class champion if that class had one or more schools drop out of the tournament due to covid-19.  

It's high school.  You run what you brung.  We have had to play a crap ton of our season without starters because of contact tracing.  Not because they were actually sick, but close to someone who tested positive.  We didn't cancel a single game.  You find a way to win or you lose and move to the next Friday.  As a result we are going to have probably the 6th less than .500 season in 40 years, but it is what it is.  Play the game, even if some idiot politician tells you that your QB can't play because he was within 6 feet of a positive case.  

Some schools are making provisions by rotating kids every 14 minutes to get around this, some schools aren't.  If Gibson Southern loses #18 due to the 'rona, you think Hart will cry about it....nope, that is a guy that will find a way.  Which is the same thing we have done all season, we could have cancelled due to players out, but we played with 3 sophomores and a backup qb in the backfield for a number of games.  

Play the game, forget the culture of the participation trophy asterisk * crap.  

And by the way...Gibson Southern folks....I am looking forward to hosting you in the Jungle.  We are at full strength this time (almost).  Come say hi....I'll be on the chain gang.  I'm the good looking one.  

Edited by HHPatriots
  • Like 1

Just now, HHPatriots said:

It's not a "culture of the participation trophy" crap, HHPatriots.   Simply a logical acknowledgment that the tournament for this particular class was not played with a full tournament field due to hopefully a once in a lifetime event, therefore possibly skewing the overall results.   If you care anything for sportsmanship and fair play you surely realize this.

Just now, Muda69 said:

If you care anything for sportsmanship and fair play you surely realize this.

Really?  You can easily become slammed with injuries and have 4 starters out that played both ways.  On a 3A team (other than Bishop Chatard), that changes everything.  

Maybe if/when a team has a player(s) with injury or 'rona the opposing team should have to bench the equal number of starters.  It's only fair.  

Just now, HHPatriots said:

Really?  You can easily become slammed with injuries and have 4 starters out that played both ways.  On a 3A team (other than Bishop Chatard), that changes everything.  

Maybe if/when a team has a player(s) with injury or 'rona the opposing team should have to bench the equal number of starters.  It's only fair.  

I never said anything about schools playing at a "lesser strength" due to injuries or covid-19.  I said if the entire school/tam doesn't play then an asterisk (*) is good sportsmanship.  Try and keep up.

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I never said anything about schools playing at a "lesser strength" due to injuries or covid-19.  I said if the entire school/tam doesn't play then an asterisk (*) is good sportsmanship.  Try and keep up.

I'm keeping up.  It's the same thing.  If a school makes that choice, great, that is on them.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Where does GS enrollment fall in the SIAC if you take out the PPs, who technically should have a minimum 1.66% Multiplier to equalize their attendance to the public school rate.

1.66 multiplier for PP, do you feel public school communities that are relatively affluent have advantages that can be measured? Say a 1.25 multiplier for public communities with an above average income and/or education. Say Carmel has 5000 students (a known affluent community,) is that equivaalent to Ben Davis having 6250 students?

25 minutes ago, Cappy said:

1.66 multiplier for PP, do you feel public school communities that are relatively affluent have advantages that can be measured? Say a 1.25 multiplier for public communities with an above average income and/or education. Say Carmel has 5000 students (a known affluent community,) is that equivaalent to Ben Davis having 6250 students?

The Multiplier is designed for tuition based schools only.  Im not aware of any Indiana public schools that charge tuition.

12 minutes ago, Cappy said:

It isn't as much about affluence as it is human capital.  P/Ps will ALWAYS having a higher percentage of quality, results driven student athletes for no other reason that they are paying to be there.  They are paying for a certain experience.....it is a transaction that has value for the parents.  As with any other transaction for services, there are expectations in quality and performance for both ECA and academia. Conversely, in public schools, a varying percentage of students are there only because the law says they have to be.  The result is more quality human capital per capita at a P/P.  The example I have used in the past is how Castle and Memorial seem to go toe to toe in both girls and boys conference championships each year within the SIAC and seem to both produce a similar number of top notch athletes in various sports.  Castle has 1965 students, Memorial has 609.  Our Catholic friends would like us to believe that is because of the blood sweat and tears of their Irish/German ancestry genetically instilled in them a work ethic no mere protestant can match.  It's really not that complicated....birds of a feather flock together.   The math makes multipliers hard....maybe my friend @Lysander is right, just bump them all up a class.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

It's high school.  You run what you brung.  We have had to play a crap ton of our season without starters because of contact tracing.  Not because they were actually sick, but close to someone who tested positive.  We didn't cancel a single game.  You find a way to win or you lose and move to the next Friday.  As a result we are going to have probably the 6th less than .500 season in 40 years, but it is what it is.  Play the game, even if some idiot politician tells you that your QB can't play because he was within 6 feet of a positive case.  

Some schools are making provisions by rotating kids every 14 minutes to get around this, some schools aren't.  If Gibson Southern loses #18 due to the 'rona, you think Hart will cry about it....nope, that is a guy that will find a way.  Which is the same thing we have done all season, we could have cancelled due to players out, but we played with 3 sophomores and a backup qb in the backfield for a number of games.  

And by the way...Gibson Southern folks....I am looking forward to hosting you in the Jungle.  We are at full strength this time (almost).  Come say hi....I'll be on the chain gang.  I'm the good looking one.  

I'll be up top with my buddy @HereComesTheBoom !

8 minutes ago, DT said:

The Multiplier is designed for tuition based schools only.  Im not aware of any Indiana public schools that charge tuition.

8 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

It isn't as much about affluence as it is human capital.  P/Ps will ALWAYS having a higher percentage of quality, results driven student athletes for no other reason that they are paying to be there.  They are paying for a certain experience.....it is a transaction that has value for the parents.  As with any other transaction for services, there are expectations in quality and performance for both ECA and academia. Conversely, in public schools, a varying percentage of students are there only because the law says they have to be.  The result is more quality human capital per capita at a P/P.  The example I have used in the past is how Castle and Memorial seem to go toe to toe in both girls and boys conference championships each year within the SIAC and seem to both produce a similar number of top notch athletes in various sports.  Castle has 1965 students, Memorial has 609.  Our Catholic friends would like us to believe that is because of the blood sweat and tears of their Irish/German ancestry genetically instilled in them a work ethic no mere protestant can match.  It's really not that complicated....birds of a feather flock together.   The math makes multipliers hard....maybe my friend @Lysander is right, just bump them all up a class.

We know there is a direct correlation between socio economic placement and on field athletic performance.

Castle is an affluent suburbam community, while Memorial generally serves affluent city and suburban families.  Yes, there are exceptions, but generally speaking, the Castle and EM student bodies resemble each other athletically, acedemically and socio economically.  Hence the great level of competiton between the two.

Its very similar to Andrean and Crown Point in NWI.

Or Penn and Mishawaka Marian in the NIC.

Or Dwenger and Homestead /Carroll in the SAC

11 minutes ago, DT said:

We know there is a direct correlation between socio economic placement and on field athletic performance.

Castle is an affluent suburbam community, while Memorial generally serves affluent city and suburban families.  Yes, there are exceptions, but generally speaking, the Castle and EM student bodies resemble each other athletically, acedemically and socio economically.  Hence the great level of competiton between the two.

Its very similar to Andrean and Crown Point in NWI.

Or Penn and Mishawaka Marian in the NIC.

Or Dwenger and Homestead /Carroll in the SAC

Agree totally that socio economics always play a role, but I can tell you ain't from these parts LOL.  Although a portion of the Castle demographic is similar to the Memorial one, it is just a portion.  Let's call it a factor of "x" (see what I did there?).  Enrollment alone is very very weak criteria by which to measure unlike institutions against each other for competitive "likeness".  I think that is clear.  I like how you make both sides of an argument in the same thread.

Edited by Titan32

3 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I can't tell you ain't from these parts LOL.  Although a portion of the Castle demographic is similar to the Memorial one, it is just a portion.  Let's call it a factor of "x" (see what I did there?).  Enrollment alone is very very weak criteria by which to measure unlike institutions against each other for competitive "likeness".  I think that is clear.  I like how you make both sides of an argument in the same thread.

You completely lost me on that response.  Im not even going to re read it.

4 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I had to edit....you are too fast for me.

Roncalli - Center Grove is another addition to this PP-Public High End Socio Economic list of competitors

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Roncalli - Center Grove is another addition to this PP-Public High End Socio Economic list of competitors

And this applies to that one as well:

Agree totally that socio economics always play a role, but I can tell you ain't from these parts LOL.  Although a portion of the Castle demographic is similar to the Memorial one, it is just a portion.  Let's call it a factor of "x" (see what I did there?).  Enrollment alone is very very weak criteria by which to measure unlike institutions against each other for competitive "likeness".  I think that is clear.  I like how you make both sides of an argument in the same thread.

4 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

And this applies to that one as well:

Are you saying the Castle community is not a generally affluent suburban community within the Greater Evansville Metro?

Isnt the school located in "Paradise, Indiana?"

1 minute ago, DT said:

Are you saying the Castle community is not a generally affluent suburban community within the Greater Evansville Metro?

No, I did not say that at all, in general terms that is a true statement.  The Castle student population has roughly the same number of quality success driven athletes (ie human capital) walking the halls as does Memorial despite the largely varying enrollments.  You will more than likely find the same thing in all of your examples.