Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A Regional - Marion at East Noble

GAME TIME: 7:30 pm ET, East Noble.
COACHES: James Bell, 9-3 in 1st year at Marion. Luke Amstutz, 79-24 in 9th year at East Noble, 105-39 in 13th year overall.
SAGARIN RATINGS: East Noble, 70, 59th overall, 11th in 4A. Marion, 68.47, 66th overall, 15th in 4A.
LAST OUTING: Marion defeated Delta, 38-21. East Noble defeated Leo, 10-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Marion 56-62. East Noble 63-55.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: East Noble, 24-23.

I will be the first to say I am pretty shocked EN has made it this far. Having watched this team several times throughout the year I did not think they would bounce back to beat, let alone shut out Leo.

I know next to nothing about Marion, but I know they like to throw the ball which EN has been pretty good at defending this year, especially with the return of Zolman. I saw some highlights of the Delta game and it just looked like Delta's secondary let WR's run right past them.

I will take EN 28-21.

1 hour ago, Yuccaguy said:

Seems like a great match-up in 4A North...

I agree!  I don't know a whole lot about Marion myself but I dug into each team's schedules to try to get a better idea of the type of match-up it might be.  Not a straight forward comparison I know, but still fun to do.  This just leads me to comparing the NE8 to the NCC which I know nothing about, and I'm sure is not apples to apples.  The NCC definitely has some bigger schools. 

Just food got thought...

Against teams with winning records:

EN 3-2 ... Beat Columbia City twice and Leo, while losing to Leo and Norwell(also lost to Penn who ended 5-5)

Marion 1-3 ... Beat Delta and losing to Eastbrook, Lawrence North and Lafayette Jeff.

Combined records of teams beaten:

EN 38-46       Marion 30-55

Combined records of teams lost to:

EN 25-9         Marion 34-10

Seems to me that all of Marion's losses came to quality opponents, while EN's losses came to quality opponents also.  The team was banged up and still finding it's identity during it's 3 game losing skid mid season though.   

So how does the NCC compare to the NE8?  From an EN fan, while our school has had some success in conference lately, the NE8 still seems very competitive.  You better show up and play well on Friday night or you could lose to pretty much anyone. 

13 hours ago, Knightsfan_01 said:

I agree!  I don't know a whole lot about Marion myself but I dug into each team's schedules to try to get a better idea of the type of match-up it might be.  Not a straight forward comparison I know, but still fun to do.  This just leads me to comparing the NE8 to the NCC which I know nothing about, and I'm sure is not apples to apples.  The NCC definitely has some bigger schools. 

Just food got thought...

Against teams with winning records:

EN 3-2 ... Beat Columbia City twice and Leo, while losing to Leo and Norwell(also lost to Penn who ended 5-5)

Marion 1-3 ... Beat Delta and losing to Eastbrook, Lawrence North and Lafayette Jeff.

Combined records of teams beaten:

EN 38-46       Marion 30-55

Combined records of teams lost to:

EN 25-9         Marion 34-10

Seems to me that all of Marion's losses came to quality opponents, while EN's losses came to quality opponents also.  The team was banged up and still finding it's identity during it's 3 game losing skid mid season though.   

So how does the NCC compare to the NE8?  From an EN fan, while our school has had some success in conference lately, the NE8 still seems very competitive.  You better show up and play well on Friday night or you could lose to pretty much anyone. 

Kindve strange Marion could loss to Eastbrook and then turn around and beat Delta who had smoked Eastbrook  by 40.  Never expected Marion to beat Delta.  I got EN 21-17

1 hour ago, Purdue Pete said:

Kindve strange Marion could loss to Eastbrook and then turn around and beat Delta who had smoked Eastbrook  by 40.  Never expected Marion to beat Delta.  I got EN 21-17

No excuses because a loss is a loss, but that Eastbrook game was like a perfect storm for Marion. They weren't healthy and any time the county schools play Marion its like a super bowl for them. They've been playing much better as the season has gone on. Wasn't surprised about the Delta game, because they shutout a very good and very similar Delta team before. It should be a good game, sounds like East Noble has alot of talent, however in my clearly biased opinion lmao, I think Marion will be ok as long as they don't put themselves in bad situations. 

1 minute ago, GFND74 said:

No excuses because a loss is a loss, but that Eastbrook game was like a perfect storm for Marion. They weren't healthy and any time the county schools play Marion its like a super bowl for them. They've been playing much better as the season has gone on. Wasn't surprised about the Delta game, because they shutout a very good and very similar Delta team before. It should be a good game, sounds like East Noble has alot of talent, however in my clearly biased opinion lmao, I think Marion will be ok as long as they don't put themselves in bad situations. 

Biased opinions is what is all about!  LOL... good luck tomorrow 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GFND74 said:

You will never cononvince me that playing Marion anything like the super bowl for Eastbrook. You're talking about a team that's played for a state title 3 times out of the last 5 years.

15 hours ago, Knightsfan_01 said:

Nothing like the NE8 IMO. It's a lot more like the NHC. Jeff beats up on smaller schools like Homestead used to and then loses early in the post season just like Homestead used to. Marion and Harrison are like EN and Carroll were in the NHC. The biggest difference are there are a lot of football teams in the NCC that are consistently not very good, unlike the NE8/NHC where Bellmont is the only team that consistently seems to struggle.

14 minutes ago, GFND74 said:

LMAO biased opinion here also, but I like the chances of our D showing out again. Even though Marion seems more dynamic on offense than Leo, I think we have the athletes to match up.  Glad this one's at home! 

17-14 EN

10 minutes ago, Prospect said:

Nothing like the NE8 IMO. It's a lot more like the NHC. Jeff beats up on smaller schools like Homestead used to and then loses early in the post season just like Homestead used to. Marion and Harrison are like EN and Carroll were in the NHC. The biggest difference are there are a lot of football teams in the NCC that are consistently not very good, unlike the NE8/NHC where Bellmont is the only team that consistently seems to struggle.

Good comparison, thanks!

3 hours ago, Prospect said:

You will never cononvince me that playing Marion anything like the super bowl for Eastbrook.

You would be surprised, Grant county is a funny place.  I think @GFND74 hit the nail on the head regarding the Eastbrook game. Having said that EN in a close one.

31 minutes ago, WilELee said:

You would be surprised, Grant county is a funny place.  I think @GFND74 hit the nail on the head regarding the Eastbrook game. Having said that EN in a close one.

Exactly. Since none of the schools have any "actual" state championships in football, beating each other is what matters. And eventhough Eastbrook has been the clear program at the top of the football mountain, the Giants beat them the first and only time they played each other in an actual game. And because of their success, they know that they're gonna coast through the CIC. They expect to win and go deep in the tournament every year. So the one thing they haven't done yet was beat the Giants. They sat around all winter and spring preparing to do just that, this time on their own field. That game was theirs before it started lol.