Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Do you see this being a Penalty in near Future

Coach Nowlin

Question

Well, he clearly pushed the QB. As an official, the question you have to ask yourself is “did it matter?” If the QB was already sure to get in as you watch the play, then no advantage gained, and you don’t call anything. If the push really helped, then you have to look at other factors.

Agree with Bob. With pushes like this you also have to ask if he was pushing the runner or pushing the pile. NCAA got rid of the push aspect of the Assisting the Runner foul a couple years ago so this would be legal in NCAA regardless. Pushing the runner to assist him is a foul by rule already in NFHS. But as Bob mentioned it's a judgement call by the covering official. It's likely going to have to be obvious to be called.

Looking at the video again, I probably would not have called this. The snapper’s block is a near pancake. The QB would have gotten in the end zone if he just tripped over his own feet. But I’m definitely going to talk to the pusher, and get a message to the coach, since this does look like the play was designed with the push in mind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Huge Football Fan said:

I disagree with you. He’s going forward before the snap and it’s really not close

It's close but if you go frame by frame the ball starts moving one frame after he starts moving forward. You don't want officials to be that technical.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:29 AM, JustRules said:

It's close but if you go frame by frame the ball starts moving one frame after he starts moving forward. You don't want officials to be that technical.

I disagree with this as well....frame by frame he's driving forward off his left foot a few frames before the ball moves.  Its close, we disagree, thats why we have all the fun on Fridays!😇

4 hours ago, US31 said:

I disagree with this as well....frame by frame he's driving forward off his left foot a few frames before the ball moves.  Its close, we disagree, thats why we have all the fun on Fridays!😇

If you want officials to be this technical you will not be happy with the 30-40 flags you 'll see in a game. No formation would ever be legal because there is always a "back" who is breaking the waist of the nearest lineman (usually a slot or wing). Every jersey tug would be a hold. Most kickoffs would be stopped because one player is breaking the plane of the neutral zone before kicked. Look at what happened in the NFL a few years ago when the officials were instructed to get more technical on calling holding. It was a disaster and everyone hated watching the games. It led to the famous change at halftime of a MNF game when Tom Brady tweeted blasting the league for this philosophy.

This play meets the criteria of too technical to call illegal motion or false start.

42 minutes ago, JustRules said:

If you want officials to be this technical you will not be happy with the 30-40 flags you 'll see in a game. No formation would ever be legal because there is always a "back" who is breaking the waist of the nearest lineman (usually a slot or wing). Every jersey tug would be a hold. Most kickoffs would be stopped because one player is breaking the plane of the neutral zone before kicked. Look at what happened in the NFL a few years ago when the officials were instructed to get more technical on calling holding. It was a disaster and everyone hated watching the games. It led to the famous change at halftime of a MNF game when Tom Brady tweeted blasting the league for this philosophy.

This play meets the criteria of too technical to call illegal motion or false start.

Reminds me of how we officiate delay of game. The back judge watches the play clock. When it hits zero, he then looks at the ball. If the snap hasn’t started, it’s a foul. Are there going to be times when, technically, the ball will actually be snapped after the clock expires? Yes. Do we care about that? No.

15 hours ago, JustRules said:

If that play was 4th and Goal to take the lead in a close game, would you feel the same way....honest question.

44 minutes ago, US31 said:

If that play was 4th and Goal to take the lead in a close game, would you feel the same way....honest question.

He gains an advantage going forward before the snap. When they ran It the second time on the other end of the field he didn’t start early. This one should be a foul. Don’t make it close no reason the start early. For those that say the nose got blown up. He sure did, since they had 3 people in a line pushing him. I didn’t need to see it frame by frame to see he started forward before the snap

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

He gains an advantage going forward before the snap. When they ran It the second time on the other end of the field he didn’t start early. This one should be a foul. Don’t make it close no reason the start early. For those that say the nose got blown up. He sure did, since they had 3 people in a line pushing him. I didn’t need to see it frame by frame to see he started forward before the snap

No. Sorry. Doesn't matter how many times you say it. This isn't going to get called. No official observing this at game speed is going to cut it that fine on calling fouls. And if you really gave it some thought, you'd realize you don't want us to.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

No. Sorry. Doesn't matter how many times you say it. This isn't going to get called. No official observing this at game speed is going to cut it that fine on calling fouls. And if you really gave it some thought, you'd realize you don't want us to.

Lol. Then we can agree to disagree. The guy literally takes 2 steps forward before the snap. I think this is a foul anywhere on the field. I know it’s a foul in this situation advantage/disadvantage he mistimed the snap and yes should be called

10 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

Lol. Then we can agree to disagree. The guy literally takes 2 steps forward before the snap. I think this is a foul anywhere on the field. I know it’s a foul in this situation advantage/disadvantage he mistimed the snap and yes should be called

That is definitely not what I see.

3 hours ago, Huge Football Fan said:

You should've just stuck to "I think this is a foul". You lose all credibility by saying he took two steps forward before the snap. Not even close. 

• Like 1