Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

SIAC 2021


Recommended Posts

Some thoughts: 

Memorial and Castle didn’t have too many problems tonight, although VL did give Castle an Early scare 

Jasper is just dominant team and ran right threw Mater Dei 

Seemed like North was having troubles with Bosse, but pulled out late in the 4Q 

Central beating Reitz is something I did not see, as Central is depleted in depth. Sounded like Reitz has been having an turnover problem lately, 3 straight loses for the Panthers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Some thoughts: 

Memorial and Castle didn’t have too many problems tonight, although VL did give Castle an Early scare 

Jasper is just dominant team and ran right threw Mater Dei 

Seemed like North was having troubles with Bosse, but pulled out late in the 4Q 

Central beating Reitz is something I did not see, as Central is depleted in depth. Sounded like Reitz has been having an turnover problem lately, 3 straight loses for the Panthers

Question, did the Jasper QB make a difference tonight?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, southend said:

Thanks for the run down

What happened to the vaunted Mater Dei offenses of yesteryear... An accurate QB, 4 WRs who just run precision routes, an undersized line that punches above its weight and a RB who would keep your defense in check. Recently, Mater Dei seems to have trouble scoring and does some un-MD like things like TOs. Just a down cycle?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

What happened to the vaunted Mater Dei offenses of yesteryear... An accurate QB, 4 WRs who just run precision routes, an undersized line that punches above its weight and a RB who would keep your defense in check. Recently, Mater Dei seems to have trouble scoring and does some un-MD like things like TOs. Just a down cycle?

While there are a number of issues on both sides of the ball, most of our struggles come down to poor execution, IMO.  On offense, line blocking has been poor as has WR blocking downfield.  Lots of offensive players standing around, watching people get tackled.  On D, while our line is stout, we are having issues with our blitz pkg putting pressure on the QB.   If we don't stop the run at the LOS, we are having trouble wrapping up & finishing tackles which has resulted in a number of longer runs on plays that could have been stopped for little or no gain.

Staring off the season with Central, Castle, Memorial & Jasper - teams that traditionally have more size, talent & athleticism, has not helped but most starters are Sr's and Jr's who played a lot last year so they should know what to expect.  The next 4 weeks will be telling.  Hopefully MD can turn it around and get some momentum heading into the playoffs.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alduflux said:

Can anyone explain what the penalty was against MD to start the second half?

I was told it was Delay of game because the halftime clock hit 0:00 before MD made it back on the field. 

@BobRef might be a good source for more insight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not too concerned about MD yet. There’s a good chance they were just distracted wondering whether or not the Fall Festival would be cancelled this year. This season will hopefully be like a high school romance. The first few weeks with the chick are pretty cool, then you find out they have way too many cats and their family is weird, but then u realize prom is coming up and she’s cool with dates to weinzapfel’s tavern and it would be nice to have a date. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Week 5 positive/negatives 

Positives 

-Castle is still dominating teams after their OT lost to Mater Dei and dropped 28 against VL in the 2H. Big game coming up with Reitz this Friday 

-Coach Lewis. That is all, dismantled a good Mater Dei like butter. Backup QB for Jasper was great all game

- Memorial continues to improve each week and slowly finding new weapons on all 3 fronts. Alger is really good punt returner and Ellspermann looked a lot better last night too. Brodie had another big night too with 119 rushing yards

-Huskies continue to improve after their 0-2 start by winning 3 straight games and dropping 49 against Bosse. Statement game against an really hungry and angry Mater Dei team soon. 

-Welcome to the win column Bears! After an extremely long game, Central came all the way back down from 21-14 late in the 4Q, tied the game, and made the game saving interception by sending it to OT. And 3 excruciating Overtime periods later, the Bears finally celebrated an well deserved victory, 39-38. And the first victory for the ZirkelBach Era at Central. 

Negatives 

-After starting over really good defensively in the 1H, looked like Alices collapsed in the 2H by Castle athleticism. At least it gets a little easier with Harrison on the horizon. 

-I was pretty disappointed in Mater Dei, since I thought the game would be a lot better for MD coming off the Memorial loss. Sounded like there are a lot of problems with the offense and defense for MD, which is worrisome against a hot Huskies team rolling in. 

-Harrison had some nice plays early on and a nice block punt for a TD. But the woes continue for the Warriors as they were held to only -2 total yards in offense and only 2 first downs the entire game 

-Unfortunately, it looks like Bosse is starting to lose their mojo after a nice 2-0 start to the season, taking 3 brutal loses. It also seems there has been an recent incident involving some players in a bathroom. These next 2 weeks do not get any easier

-Just like Bosse, Reitz is still continuing to struggle by taking 3 straight loses. It appears they are having an Turnover problem with the Offense the last 2 games (5 INT in the North game). This Central game should’ve been easy for the Panthers, but more questions than answers. Can they turn their season around? 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Oldgrayphart said:

ItIMO, the problem with the MD offense is the QB. Enough said

Or this just may be what you can expect from this MD team.  
 

Last year in the SIAC they lost to the teams that at the end of the year showed by their records that they were just better teams .   Their winning streak at the end was really due to scheduling since it was against the bottom of the conference.   This year will probably be the same.  
 

The real question will be where they run into a strong team inn the playoffs.   Luers is probably going to win the SAC and stood toe to toe with a team (Webo) that beat MD by 5 TDs at semi state.   LCC seems a little down, but Linton is winning a lot games.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Alduflux said:

Can anyone explain what the penalty was against MD to start the second half?

From BobRef:  If the intermission ends, and a team is not on the field, that is an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty charged to the head coach. 15 yds. If the team is out there, but can’t take the field because of, for example, the band show lasting too long, that is. 5 yd. delay of game penalty.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Picks

Jasper over Central by 28+, don’t see the Bears stopping the Jasper train 

Memorial over Bosse by 28+, Memorial’s rushing attack is proving itself each week along with other improvements on O and D 

I’m going to take Mater Dei over North in a tight game by 7, though it depends on North’s QB availability 

Castle over Reitz by 18, I don’t see the Panthers stopping Castle, I think Castle pulls always in the 2H. However, it could be a close game in the 1H with that Staley+Maynard combo. But that Central game is demoralizing for the Panthers too

VL an underdog against Harrison? I don’t think so, give me the Alices by 6

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Just like Bosse, Reitz is still continuing to struggle by taking 3 straight loses. It appears they are having an Turnover problem with the Offense the last 2 games (5 INT in the North game). This Central game should’ve been easy for the Panthers, but more questions than answers. Can they turn their season around?

My eyes deceived me, Reitz did not have any interceptions in the North game, it was 5 PDs by the North D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Closed conference, no way to compute that relative to the connected data...

Sagarin seems to be out of whack at this point in the year (ignoring the SIAC being a closed confernece).   Does anyone actually believe HH has played a tougher schedule then GS?  I'll take GS to cover (5 points).

Edited by Alduflux
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Alduflux said:

Sagarin seems to be out of whack at this point in the year (ignoring the SIAC being a closed confernece).   Does anyone actually believe HH has played a tougher schedule then GS?  I'll take GS to cover (5 points).

In-state only games... 

SoS is fairly easy to compute... It's usually something like 0.5*(Win pct of opponents) + 0.5*(Win pct of opponents' opponents)... The weights can vary from ranking to ranking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Alduflux said:

Sagarin seems to be out of whack at this point in the year (ignoring the SIAC being a closed confernece).   Does anyone actually believe HH has played a tougher schedule then GS?  I'll take GS to cover (5 points).

GS might cover 5 TDs if HH doesn't pass, continues with turnovers, and misses coverages... Second meeting is historically closer in recent years. Still, you have to strap it up and play... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

GS might cover 5 TDs if HH doesn't pass, continues with turnovers, and misses coverages... Second meeting is historically closer in recent years. Still, you have to strap it up and play... 

But HH is the 12 best team in the state...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...