Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2021

My take on the Jasper/NV game was they were ready to play and coming out with a slow start isn't going to win the game. They scored on their 1st two possessions and we did answer with a nice pass and a run after they fumbled on the one, but that was it. We turned the ball over 4-5 times. I will say there was a lot of missed holding calls from the refs, but that is still no excuse. To their credit, they have some speed and their quarter back made some nice passes. Cherry one of their backs and another receiver burned us a few times. Their onside kick really turned the game around for them after they scored. Once we went to passing, we ran into trouble.  Reitz may have their hands full. Good luck to the rest of the SIAC teams.

One TO was a Hail Mary at the end of the half.  Did not really affect the game.

Another was on the goal line.  Jasper held NV, got the ball in good field position and scored on that short field drive, so that really did not affect them.

NV also fumbled on the goal line.

So the two TOs in the second half are the ones that mattered.  

I watched the game on the replay and the TO factor was not as important at the fact that NV just outplayed Jasper. 

Espcially when they were on offense.  Jasper did not tackle well and the NV WRs were running around open all  night.

"I will say there was a lot of missed holding calls from the refs, but that is still no excuse"  When you say that in your post, you are using it as an excuse.

Jasper had been giving up big plays to bad teams like VL, Bosse and Harrison all season. 

NV was very well coached and executed very well.  Jasper overlooked them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fenderbender said:

Another was on the goal line.  Jasper held NV, got the ball in good field position and scored on that short field drive, so that really did not affect them.

I watched the game on the replay and the TO factor was not as important at the fact that NV just outplayed Jasper. 

Espcially when they were on offense.  Jasper did not tackle well and the NV WRs were running around open all  night.

"I will say there was a lot of missed holding calls from the refs, but that is still no excuse"  When you say that in your post, you are using it as an excuse.

Jasper had been giving up big plays to bad teams like VL, Bosse and Harrison all season. 

I am not saying we didn't get out played by NV because we did. There were a lot of missed tackles and they have good athletes with speed. Like I said, we got got burned a lot in the secondary and provided no pressure to their QB. He basically did what he wanted. As far as the ref calls, on a screen pass that went for 60 yards and pass reception for the end zone that could turn the game around. We could go back and forth on the the game, but in the end NV got the win for a reason. 

7 hours ago, Cat02 said:

My take on the Jasper/NV game was they were ready to play and coming out with a slow start isn't going to win the game. They scored on their 1st two possessions and we did answer with a nice pass and a run after they fumbled on the one, but that was it. We turned the ball over 4-5 times. I will say there was a lot of missed holding calls from the refs, but that is still no excuse. To their credit, they have some speed and their quarter back made some nice passes. Cherry one of their backs and another receiver burned us a few times. Their onside kick really turned the game around for them after they scored. Once we went to passing, we ran into trouble.  Reitz may have their hands full. Good luck to the rest of the SIAC teams.

I was disappointed to see Jasper lose this one.  I enjoy the rivalry and it would have been a great environment for the final.  Plus, I'd much rather drive to Jasper than to Brazil (assuming we beat Central, which is not a given). The Wildcats had a great season and have clearly made a huge impact on the SIAC in just 2 short years.   

23 hours ago, fenderbender said:

4-5 turnovers were a huge factor, which gave NV more scoring opportunities, more TOP,  and Jasper fewer. Also #32 did not dress, so he could not not spell #30, playing both ways. Don't know if we overlooked them, not a mind reader,  but they played an outstanding game, deserved to win, and came out more aggressive from the start and we did not match it. It was similar to the Evansville North game, which we survived, 20-13,  due to fewer turnovers, despite #32 not being available for nearly the entire game. The Huskies came out very aggressive, and I felt outplayed us most of the game.  The missed holding calls were a factor, especially a "tackle" in one 50-60 yard play, and the 3-4 starters in street clothes, but good teams know these things happen to everybody and must overcome those challenges. Losing an onside kick was also significant. Giving up big plays haunted us most of the season, but we overcame them before this game.  You can call all of these excuses, or simply identify the multiple factors that affected the outcome of the game and need to be improved.  Going undefeated in the conference exceeded my expectations. Our coaches and players will learn from this setback, and with the freshman and JV losing only one conference game combined, I expect to compete for a conference title again soon and advance deeper in to the playoffs. Expectations are always high here.

1 hour ago, jcat69 said:

4-5 turnovers were a huge factor, which gave NV more scoring opportunities, more TOP,  and Jasper fewer. Also #32 did not dress, so he could not not spell #30, playing both ways. Don't know if we overlooked them, not a mind reader,  but they played an outstanding game, deserved to win, and came out more aggressive from the start and we did not match it. It was similar to the Evansville North game, which we survived, 20-13,  due to fewer turnovers, despite #32 not being available for nearly the entire game. The Huskies came out very aggressive, and I felt outplayed us most of the game.  The missed holding calls were a factor, especially a "tackle" in one 50-60 yard play, and the 3-4 starters in street clothes, but good teams know these things happen to everybody and must overcome those challenges. Losing an onside kick was also significant. Giving up big plays haunted us most of the season, but we overcame them before this game.  You can call all of these excuses, or simply identify the multiple factors that affected the outcome of the game and need to be improved.  Going undefeated in the conference exceeded my expectations. Our coaches and players will learn from this setback, and with the freshman and JV losing only one conference game combined, I expect to compete for a conference title again soon and advance deeper in to the playoffs. Expectations are always high here.

I watched the game early this morning on the WJTS replay. Jasper did not look like the Jasper I have watched several times this season. NV is a darn good team though - good line play, the RB was a handful and D was tough.  If we are lucky enough to get past Central and NV beats Reitz, we will be very lucky to get past NV. They look much better than in years' past.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tango said:

I watched the game early this morning on the WJTS replay. Jasper did not look like the Jasper I have watched several times this season. NV is a darn good team though - good line play, the RB was a handful and D was tough.  If we are lucky enough to get past Central and NV beats Reitz, we will be very lucky to get past NV. They look much better than in years' past.

Yes, the Northview team took it up a couple of notches this year. And situated where they are, geographically, they don’t get a lot of Publicity. And strength of schedule usually suspect most years.  But this year a couple of their normal rivalries are good this year also ,and NV seemed to step up and win the tough ones. 

10 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Does NV have an updated roster or does any Wildcats have an roster from Friday nights game?

Their roster on Maxpreps looks like it is accurate, but not many heights and weights.

One thing I look at for rosters is numbers 50-79.  The OL/DL.

Very few seniors listed in the OL/DL numbers.  (I only counted 2)

Might explain the comments on the Jasper broadcast about NV being undersized.

If Foley is 6'5", then they all looked kind of short.

8 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Their roster on Maxpreps looks like it is accurate, but not many heights and weights.

I ended up watching the replay, and they didn’t seem too tall on their O-line. However, they made it up with their quickness, gaining big yards 

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

I ended up watching the replay, and they didn’t seem too tall on their O-line. However, they made it up with their quickness, gaining big yards 

#9 helps out their line a lot.  Just have to get the way of the D for a little bit and let him make some people miss.

QB threw some nice balls (10/14 vs Jasper) and allows them to have a nice run/pass mix.

25 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

#9 helps out their line a lot.  Just have to get the way of the D for a little bit and let him make some people miss.

QB threw some nice balls (10/14 vs Jasper) and allows them to have a nice run/pass mix.

Jasper’s pass D did not look good at all, which is uncharacteristic of them. They may give a big play in the beginning of the game, but they usually stop it after that. NV is tough and hungry, I’m sure they are wanting Memorial in the final, if we beat Central in a suppose rainy mess

2 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Not sure about undersized, but they definitely gave Jasper plenty to handle all night.  Biggest thing is 4/5 of their OL is starting for the second year together.  20+ games of chemistry on an OL is a tough matchup for anybody. 

https://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_high_school_sports/northview-fb-preview-knights-will-try-to-defend-wic-gold-division-title/article_60c74c78-872d-559f-9d88-dce3bb80f5ef.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Week Picks (Little hard) 

Castle over BHSS by 7, knowing this game is at home and rain being a factor for Castle. I would give you he edge to Castle, since BHSS is struggling a bit, but won’t be out of game. Give me a close one in Paradise 

North at BHSN, feels like a pick ‘EM game I also know little against BHSN, but they have Steinfeldt’s little brother on the team. I may give the edge to BHSN

Memorial over Central by 3-4 scores, the rain will give Memorial some flashbacks against Castle, but at least it’s on turf. Hurley will have the boys ready and avenge their postseason loss last year. Central may have some good plays early in the game, but is hoping for the rain to slow down the Tigers.

Northview over Reitz by 2-3 scores, Northview is tough, but could give up some big running plays by Jay Smith. Rain seems like a factor in this game too, so it could be interesting. But I don’t see Reitz stopping #9 on NV, and too much adrenaline on NV’s side 

Heritage over by Bosse by 3 scores, sorry Bulldogs, but I’m impressed how much you guys have improved and moving the right direction. Got nothing to lose at Enlow Friday night, make it count

VL over Edgewood by 4 scores, no clue on Edgewood, but VL is playing some great football against Princeton

Linton over Mater Dei by a single point, probably going to be a defensive game judging by the weather and a mud bowl looking likely in Linton. This one will be interesting as every point is valuable 

2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Not sure about undersized, but they definitely gave Jasper plenty to handle all night.  Biggest thing is 4/5 of their OL is starting for the second year together.  20+ games of chemistry on an OL is a tough matchup for anybody. 

https://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_high_school_sports/northview-fb-preview-knights-will-try-to-defend-wic-gold-division-title/article_60c74c78-872d-559f-9d88-dce3bb80f5ef.html

The Jasper announcers started the game talking about NV being undersized on both lines, but kind of changed their tune to talking about how quick they were and that they really stayed with their blocks.

50 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

The Jasper announcers started the game talking about NV being undersized on both lines, but kind of changed their tune to talking about how quick they were and that they really stayed with their blocks.

They remind me of Memorial’s 2018 line, we were undersized, but fast and physical for Lindy