Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Oaken Bucket

southend

2 hours ago, southend said:

So no game, but I think all the PU backers on here would agree that it would be a W for indiana. So can you guys  1 by 1 concede here on the GID that indiana gets the “I” on the bucket?

Trump will concede before they do. 🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, Irishman said:

Trump will concede before they do. 🤣🤣🤣

Nothing so far, hmmmm.....

And something so obvious. I’m positive that if the shoe was on the other foot , Indiana backers on here would be lined up to concede to a “P” on the chain. 
I guess I don’t get it. 

3 hours ago, southend said:

Nothing so far, hmmmm.....

And something so obvious. I’m positive that if the shoe was on the other foot , Indiana backers on here would be lined up to concede to a “P” on the chain. 
I guess I don’t get it. 

I'm an IU backer. Don't think one should be added if there is no game. Period.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Or an asterisk. There should also be an asterisk on the BIG10 trophy...................grrrrrrr.

At peace with the B10's decision. Ohio State did beat us head to head and they deserve to represent the East. Only thing that irks me is that had the roles been reversed and it was IU sitting at 5-0 and Ohio State 6-1 you know there's not a chance in hell there's even a discussion about amending the rules. 

A shame the game can’t be played. Notwithstanding bad teams, there have been some great games in this series. But I was an eyewitness to the greatest of them all: the 1971 38-31 Hoosier victory at Memorial Stadium. The game included Purdue Pete getting knocked cold with his own sledgehammer in the end zone, and the two marching bands brawling with one another on the field. A band fight! Nothing can ever top that!

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Bobref said:

A shame the game can’t be played. Notwithstanding bad teams, there have been some great games in this series. But I was an eyewitness to the greatest of them all: the 1971 38-31 Hoosier victory at Memorial Stadium. The game included Purdue Pete getting knocked cold with his own sledgehammer in the end zone, and the two marching bands brawling with one another on the field. A band fight! Nothing can ever top that!

John Ponts last game as Indiana’s coach, then bring in the Lee Corso era

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Pleaseeeeeeeeee tell me there is video somewhere if PP knocking himself silly and the one time at band camp brawl. 

6 hours ago, DE said:

Pleaseeeeeeeeee tell me there is video somewhere if PP knocking himself silly and the one time at band camp brawl. 

Their just might be something archived. Remember, this is ‘71, 8mm was the big thing and filming was illegal at the games. So if on film I’m certain the university has the good stuff under wraps. Also, very seldom if ever,was this great rivalry game ever on television.  

6 hours ago, DE said:

If there is, I can’t find it on You Tube, but it was surreal. Two IU students jumped out of the end zone bleachers and tried to take the sledge away from him. A tussle ensued and one of them conked him in the head with it and he was out! Just then, Otis Armstrong ran in a screen from about 65 yds. out. They held up the extra point until a couple of guys each grabbed a leg and they dragged Pete out of the end zone so they could play the try. As the Purdue band came off the field at halftime and the IU band was going on, something happened, and the two bands went at it. It was one of the strangest sights I ever saw on a football field.

Bob you have a very good memory. Or you saw it recently on film. I mean ,I was there and I remember the bands going at it. As a result ,every year after that there was no visiting team bands at the games. I know Pete and mr. Hoosier , or who ever was Indiana’s mascot at the time, got into it. But as a Freshman  I had a few beers before the game (I hope my dad doesn’t see this)I got my older sister, as a good brother should, a ticket to the game , she was a junior at Purdue. Believe it or not the bucket game was always sold out at Rossade or memorial.

But other than that my memory has faded. (Age-related) 
I haven’t missed many IU home games from that year forward. 

1 hour ago, southend said:

Their just might be something archived. Remember, this is ‘71, 8mm was the big thing and filming was illegal at the games. So if on film I’m certain the university has the good stuff under wraps. Also, very seldom if ever,was this great rivalry game ever on television.  

Great insight. Thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

If there is, I can’t find it on You Tube, but it was surreal. Two IU students jumped out of the end zone bleachers and tried to take the sledge away from him. A tussle ensued and one of them conked him in the head with it and he was out! Just then, Otis Armstrong ran in a screen from about 65 yds. out. They held up the extra point until a couple of guys each grabbed a leg and they dragged Pete out of the end zone so they could play the try. As the Purdue band came off the field at halftime and the IU band was going on, something happened, and the two bands went at it. It was one of the strangest sights I ever saw on a football field.

Thanks for looking Bob. I’m going to dive in today. If I see something, I’ll share it. 

This story gets better and better. 

5 hours ago, southend said:

Bob you have a very good memory. Or you saw it recently on film. I mean ,I was there and I remember the bands going at it. As a result ,every year after that there was no visiting team bands at the games. I know Pete and mr. Hoosier , or who ever was Indiana’s mascot at the time, got into it. But as a Freshman  I had a few beers before the game (I hope my dad doesn’t see this)

You're pushing 70 and you hope your dad doesn't see this?

• Haha 1