Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Notre Dame 2021


Bobref
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I mean, I would not completely give up and say ND has no chance, but the climb, even in years where they have a top 5 class is still steep.  Looking at this, don't Friday night's results make much more sense?

It is going to be hard for anyone else to break through.

Something that also stands out to me on this chart are Texas, Florida and LSU...yuck.  Talk about wasting away talent.

Preaching to the choir my guy.  Preaching to the choir.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Don't think $$$ was a factor for Kelly. Been venturing into some ND message boards and info coming out that Kelly's yearly compensation package the last few years has been between $7.5-$8.5 mil/yr. He was paid handsomely and one of the top paid coaches in college football. 

Not arguing your statement.

My question is (for any coach and his salary), what ALL does he have to do to earn that salary?

Could a coach get paid say $8 mil a year, but have to do weekly radio shows, tv ads, whatever....

whereas a coach at school b, only has to coach, be the closer on recruiting, and face of the university.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Don't think $$$ was a factor for Kelly. Been venturing into some ND message boards and info coming out that Kelly's yearly compensation package the last few years has been between $7.5-$8.5 mil/yr. He was paid handsomely and one of the top paid coaches in college football. 

Yea me either, he’s well heeled and a man in a mission to get a championship. Smart move for him to pull this off ,very opportunistic on his part. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, DE said:

Not arguing your statement.

My question is (for any coach and his salary), what ALL does he have to do to earn that salary?

Could a coach get paid say $8 mil a year, but have to do weekly radio shows, tv ads, whatever....

whereas a coach at school b, only has to coach, be the closer on recruiting, and face of the university.

I think Kelly was paid fairly at ND. He's a top 3 coach in college football and maximized his potential at ND.

As Temptation and others have repeatedly stated, it's a numbers game in college football. The teams with the best talent win, period. There's no amount of money ND could pay Brian Kelly that would change ND's recruiting fortunes. They are limited in the type of recruits they can admit into the school. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I think Kelly was paid fairly at ND. He's a top 3 coach in college football and maximized his potential at ND.

As Temptation and others have repeatedly stated, it's a numbers game in college football. The teams with the best talent win, period. There's no amount of money ND could pay Brian Kelly that would change ND's recruiting fortunes. They are limited in the type of recruits they can admit into the school. 

Again, not arguing that, just wondering IF he had to do A-B-C-D-E-F-G to earn that 8 mil a year, whereas he could go to LSU and only do A-B-C to get 8 mil a year (or more).  Again, just an example and thinking out loud.

I am not comparing HS to big tome D1 football, but I have seen schools say you can get paid X amount (same as the top coaches in the conference), but you have to do A-B-C-D-E-F, etc.  Whereas those other coaches did not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, DE said:

Again, not arguing that, just wondering IF he had to do A-B-C-D-E-F-G to earn that 8 mil a year, whereas he could go to LSU and only do A-B-C to get 8 mil a year (or more).  Again, just an example and thinking out loud.

I am not comparing HS to big tome D1 football, but I have seen schools say you can get paid X amount (same as the top coaches in the conference), but you have to do A-B-C-D-E-F, etc.  Whereas those other coaches did not.

I'm not sure what all was in Kelly's contract. Notre Dame being a private school doesn't have to release or divulge into contract details or finances. I'm sure his contract was written similar to most big time college coaches, base salary with incentives and performance bonuses, etc. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a huge get for the Irish.

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-football-harry-hiestand-returning-a-home-run-for-marcus-freeman-tommy-rees

Harry Hiestand Returning To Notre Dame Is A Home Run For Marcus Freeman, Tommy Rees

The return of Harry Hiestand to coach the offensive line at Notre Dame is a coup for Marcus Freeman and Tommy Rees

Irish Breakdown readers and members have known this was coming, but more and more national reporters are learning what we've known for awhile, and what has been reported on Irish Breakdown for weeks, that Harry Hiestand is going to return to Notre Dame as its next offensive line coach.

Hiestand and Notre Dame have been working on a contract for weeks, and IB sources indicate all the hurdles have been cleared and the former Irish line coach will once again be the Irish line coach.

Of course, Hiestand was the Notre Dame offensive line coach from 2012-2017, and during that time the program came to be known as O-Line U for its success at producing elite lines and high NFL Draft picks.

Notre Dame won the 2017 Joe Moore Award, which goes to the nation's best offensive line, during Hiestand's final season in South Bend. A case could be made that Notre Dame also had the nation's best offensive line in 2015, two years before that award was created. Of course, that award is named for a former Irish coach, one who was part of Notre Dame's last championship squad (1988) and also had a legendary career at Pittsburgh.

During Hiestand's six seasons at Notre Dame he developed four players that became 1st Round NFL Draft picks (Zack Martin, Ronnie Stanley, Quenton Nelson, Mike McGlinchey), including three that were Top 10 NFL Draft picks. Notre Dame also had a second and a third round draft pick during that tenure, and three more players that Hiestand recruited and coached for at least one season were drafted in the second (Liam Eichenberg, Aaron Banks) and third round (Robert Hainsey) a year ago.

Notre Dame's offenses averaged 204.1 rushing yards per game during Hiestand's tenure (minus sacks, team runs), compared to 191.8 in the four year since he departed and 142.7 in the four years prior to his arrival.

Notre Dame's offense also averaged 5.83 yards per carry (minus sacks, team carries) during his six seasons, compared to 5.41 in the four years that followed his departure and 4.74 in the four years prior to his arrival.

Notre Dame's 2015 team set a modern program record for yards per play (7.0). In 2017, Notre Dame's 6.25 yards per carry also set a modern program record.

Despite a narrative emerging about his recruiting passions, Hiestand landed top line classes year after year. He even recruited a player inJerry Tillery that eventually became a first round pick at defensive line. Tillery, of course, was initially recruited to Notre Dame as an offensive tackle.

For Notre Dame to become a national title contender a major step was getting its offensive line back to the levels it had during much of Hiestand's tenure. The program has grown in other ways since he left, but the line steadily took steps back. Head coach Marcus Freemanand offensive coordinator Tommy Rees convincing Hiestand to come back gives the program a chance to get its line where it needs to be.

This is a coup for both coaches. For Freeman it gives him one of the best, and most respected names in the business. For Rees, more practically, it gives him an offensive line coach who will certainly be able to improve the physicality and production of the run game. 

It's the first, and arguably most important, big coaching domino to fall for Notre Dame this offseason. It's step one towards Freeman building the kind of top-to-bottom elite staff that his predecessor never could build.

Hiestand and Rees clearly have a relationship. The former was the offensive line coach for the final two seasons of Rees' career, including overseeing the line that allowed Rees to be sacked just 8 times in 2013. They also worked together in 2017 when Hiestand was the offensive line coach and Rees was in his first season as the quarterbacks coach.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

College football has the same problem that 6a Indiana football has. In order to win the national championship, you have to be better than Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and Ohio State. The chances of being better than all four are slim. At least one of those teams will have a strong season. You'd have to catch them all on an off year in order to win. The chances of that are low. 

The comparison is to Carmel, Warren Central, Ben Davis, and Center Grove. It doesn't do you any good to be better than just three of them if you want to call yourself champion. You have to go back over two decades to find a year where they were all down at the same time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...