Jump to content

Welcome to the New World of NIL


Bobref
 Share

Recommended Posts

Don't really like where NIL is going but have to blame the NCAA for it getting to this point. 10-15 years ago the NCAA should have adopted a policy that allowed schools to pay the players in the revenue generating sports some type of monthly/yearly stipend. Paying 85 scholarship football players and an additional 13 basketball scholarship players 25-30k a year on top of a free education is really is chump change if you think about it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Don't really like where NIL is going but have to blame the NCAA for it getting to this point. 10-15 years ago the NCAA should have adopted a policy that allowed schools to pay the players in the revenue generating sports some type of monthly/yearly stipend. Paying 85 scholarship football players and an additional 13 basketball scholarship players 25-30k a year on top of a free education is really is chump change if you think about it. 

Title IX would like to have a word with you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, DE said:

Title IX would like to have a word with you.

Title IX sports (and the rest of the men’s sports) are funded entirely by P5 basketball and football programs almost exclusively through TV deals stemming from the NCAA Tournament and College Football Playoffs. The NCAA model is now broken and will no longer exist a few years down the road. You’ll see P5 conferences split into their own leagues and universities will adopt club models for the rest of their sports programs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Title IX sports (and the rest of the men’s sports) are funded entirely by P5 basketball and football programs almost exclusively through TV deals stemming from the NCAA Tournament and College Football Playoffs. The NCAA model is now broken and will no longer exist a few years down the road. You’ll see P5 conferences split into their own leagues and universities will adopt club models for the rest of their sports programs.

Oh, I would imagine there are some lawyers out there that would be happy to sink their teeth into this.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DE said:

Oh, I would imagine there are some lawyers out there that would be happy to sink their teeth into this.

 

Is there a law that states a university HAS to offer scholarship-based sports? I don’t believe there is, only that they have to offer equal representation between men and women. If you’re a mid-major D1 or D2/D3 school without a football program, you’re screwed. These entire athletic departments are funded on revenue generated from the NCAA tournament. Why does the B10 or the SEC need the NCAA going forward? The NCAA exists, or existed, to regulate amateur athletics. Now that amateurism has gone by the wayside, it’s existence to the P5 conferences is meaningless. What is stopping the P5 schools from breaking off, negotiating their own TV contracts, and keeping more of the pie to themselves?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Is there a law that states a university HAS to offer scholarship-based sports? I don’t believe there is, only that they have to offer equal representation between men and women. If you’re a mid-major D1 or D2/D3 school without a football program, you’re screwed. These entire athletic departments are funded on revenue generated from the NCAA tournament. Why does the B10 or the SEC need the NCAA going forward? The NCAA exists, or existed, to regulate amateur athletics. Now that amateurism has gone by the wayside, it’s existence to the P5 conferences is meaningless. What is stopping the P5 schools from breaking off, negotiating their own TV contracts, and keeping more of the pie to themselves?

Well said post.  Thank you.

No idea.

As long as Brad Nessler and Gary Danielson still call the SEC, I am good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And now we have this:  

Give Reggie Bush His Heisman Back:  https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/07/ncaa-owes-athletes-reggie-bush-heisman/619361/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_term=2021-07-03T10%3A30%3A57&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Quote

College sports changed forever this week. Giving in to intense pressure from state lawmakers, the NCAA freed student athletes to profit off of their own name, image, and likeness for the first time. The next step in the NCAA’s forced evolution should be to restore the reputation of athletes whom the organization has demonized for capitalizing on their own fame.

Like the people with marijuana convictions who want their records expunged as states legalize the drug, athletes whom NCAA officials punished under the old, discredited rules deserve clemency now. “I never cheated this game,” Reggie Bush, the former University of Southern California star running back, wrote on Twitter Thursday. “That was what they wanted you to believe about me.”

Bush played brilliantly for USC from 2003 to 2005 and won the Heisman Trophy, college football’s highest honor. Because the NCAA later concluded that Bush and his family had accepted money and perks—reportedly worth about $300,000—from two aspiring sports marketers, he received one of the most severe punishments in the history of college athletics. The records he set were stricken from the books. Bush carries the humiliating distinction of being the only player who ever had to return his Heisman. Not even O. J. Simpson, who famously was accused of double murder, was forced to give up his 1968 trophy.

USC had to vacate 14 wins that Bush played in, including the Trojans’ national-championship victory over Oklahoma in 2005. USC was also docked 30 scholarships and excluded from the postseason for two years. Bush became an outcast at the school. His jersey was even taken down at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the Trojans’ home stadium. Imagine leading a program to 34 straight victories and then being treated as if you never existed. Although the scandal didn’t impact Bush’s NFL-draft status—he was selected second overall in 2006—Bush was stuck with the perception that he was a greedy athlete who had torpedoed the reputation of his school for personal gain.

By exploiting players and cutting them completely out of the financial success of college sports, the NCAA created an underground economy that college athletes such as Bush took advantage of. Once those players were caught, the NCAA hypocritically punished them for partaking in the billion-dollar economy that they built.

If not for the more than 20 states that passed laws granting college athletes name, image, and likeness rights, the NCAA would never have been motivated to approve a measure on Wednesday that opened the floodgates for athletes to begin monetizing their success the following day. For decades, even as college athletics grew into a big-money enterprise and coaches in football and men’s basketball programs took home ever larger paychecks, the NCAA has insisted that student athletes are amateurs and punished those who accepted financial benefits. These punishments have not only damaged those athletes’ reputation but also cost them professional opportunities and damaged their legacy as players.

 

In a statement released on Thursday, Bush expressed frustration over his treatment. “It is my strong belief that I won the Heisman Trophy … due to my hard work and dedication on the football field and it is also my firm belief that my records should be reinstated.”

As he fights to remove the stain on his reputation, other college athletes are aggressively taking advantage of their newfound freedom. The NCAA has dwelled comfortably on the wrong side of history for years, but now the organization has an enormous opportunity to right some of its past mistakes.

The NCAA’s path to financial success is littered with stories of the NCAA robbing players of opportunities to continue its charade of amateurism. In 2010, Terrelle Pryor, then a star quarterback for Ohio State, was suspended for multiple games and was forced to repay $2,500 for selling his own memorabilia and receiving discounted tattoos. Rather than serve a five-game suspension as a college player, Pryor chose to forgo his final year of eligibility to enter the NFL’s supplemental draft. However, in a shocking, unprecedented, and unnecessarily meddlesome move, the NFL sided with the NCAA and suspended Pryor for the first five games of his rookie season as a pro. Pryor’s NFL career lasted only seven seasons, but might it have lasted longer or turned out differently had he not entered the league under a cloud of suspicion—or had he spent one more year honing his abilities at OSU?

Another egregious example of the NCAA’s hypocritical heavy-handedness is how the organization dealt with the Fab Five, the precocious quintet of University of Michigan freshmen who became the biggest college-basketball sensation in the early 1990s.

The Fab Five made it to consecutive national-championship games in 1992 and 1993. But an investigation later revealed that a former booster, Ed Martin, had given more than $600,000 to several players in Michigan’s program during the 1990s. The marquee power forward Chris Webber was not only the centerpiece for those dominant Fab Five teams but one of the key figures accused of accepting large sums of money from Martin. Michigan’s basketball program took years to recover from the NCAA’s punishment, which included forfeiting 112 victories. Michigan even took down and put away the Fab Five’s Final Four banners.

Once the name, image, and likeness rights for college athletes were granted, Webber, like Bush, wondered about restitution. “Ummmmmmm soooo …whoever has the key please hit me up,” Webber tweeted Thursday. “I need that key.. you know… the one to the secret room with the Banners…”

In reality, the NCAA will never be able to fully atone for selling the labor of college athletes while denying them even a sliver of the enormous proceeds. But the NCAA should atone as much as it can—even if some gestures are largely symbolic. Records should be reinstated. Banners and jerseys should be returned to places of honor. A Heisman Trophy should be put back into the hands of its rightful owner. Expunging the punishments that athletes have suffered won’t replace their losses. But it’s at least an acknowledgment of the wrongs that were committed.

Reparations.

 

Edited by Muda69
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Speaking of Heisman Trophies, Bush and OJ....

I hear OJ is good at getting stolen/"stolen" Heismans back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DE said:

Speaking of Heisman Trophies, Bush and OJ....

I hear OJ is good at getting stolen/"stolen" Heismans back.

Sure.  If you call going to prison for 9 years “good.” 🤣😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

 

51iCB98L7NL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Around that same time, the speed limit on most major highways feeding into Indianapolis was 65 mph.

I vaguely remember getting ticketed for going 76 in a 65 (ironically enough when I was in college).

Now that those same interstates now have a speed limit of 70 mph, ya think maybe I could write a strongly worded letter, victimize myself and get my fine reduced?

I could use some extra cash.

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Im on Team Reggie 

Nah. I get your point, but the Heisman trophy should mean something more than being an athlete since they are representing a college institution. In my opinion, it should go to the best athlete, who is also a student, and who has exemplified good character. However, it's a tragedy that someone like Reggie Bush has his taken away, but a guy like Johney Manzeil still has his (took me a minute to remember his name). 

20 minutes ago, temptation said:

Around that same time, the speed limit on most major highways feeding into Indianapolis was 65 mph.

I vaguely remember getting ticketed for going 76 in a 65 (ironically enough when I was in college).

Now that those same interstates now have a speed limit of 70 mph, ya think maybe I could write a strongly worded letter, victimize myself and get my fine reduced?

I could use some extra cash.

I have more respect for the city guys, at least they draw the line at 15. Is 465 still a 55 zone? What a joke............or more like a speed trap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

?

 

Him being racist/having the victim mentality is what I took from it.

59 minutes ago, temptation said:

Around that same time, the speed limit on most major highways feeding into Indianapolis was 65 mph.

I vaguely remember getting ticketed for going 76 in a 65 (ironically enough when I was in college).

Now that those same interstates now have a speed limit of 70 mph, ya think maybe I could write a strongly worded letter, victimize myself and get my fine reduced?

I could use some extra cash.

Exactly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DE said:

Him being racist/having the victim mentality is what I took from it.

Exactly.

Some rules in society are stupid and don’t make much sense...case in point Sha’Carri Richardson.

But that is a separate argument from why they still should be followed.  Too often, many folks try to justify the actions of the rule breaker by mixing up the two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, temptation said:

Some rules in society are stupid and don’t make much sense...case in point Sha’Carri Richardson.

But that is a separate argument from why they still should be followed.  Too often, many folks try to justify the actions of the rule breaker by mixing up the two.

Who?

And yes.  Exactly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DE said:

Who?

And yes.  Exactly.

US sprinter...won the trials in the 100 and has a shot at medaling in Tokyo.

Left off the team due to testing positive for a banned substance (happened to be marijuana).
 

Many folks outraged and making excuses confusing the fact that it’s a “dumb rule” with justifying her choice to smoke.

Many folks, EXCEPT her.  She’s owned it.  A refreshing behavior in today’s world.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DE said:

Him being racist/having the victim mentality is what I took from it.

Reggie Bush is racist? Not possible.

Will he get the Heisman back? Not likely.

See also:  Undefeated: The Roger Brown Story.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Reggie Bush is racist? Not possible.

Will he get the Heisman back? Not likely.

See also:  Undefeated: The Roger Brown Story.  

 

Ron-

You are the one who posted the racist comment.  Nice try at a deflection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Racist comment?  

He is just deflecting.  He posted the racist comment.  He will just continue to spin it to deflect from his true colors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...