Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral vs Westfield on Friday!

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral is better this year than they were last year and beat Westfield by 5 TD's. And it wasn't that close either

I sure hope you're right!  It's going to be tough to top last year.  Last season was one of the toughest schedules any Irish team has ever faced.

40 minutes ago, Jon said:

Give me Westfield with the third best senior QB Webster over untested sophomore QB 

Westfield 24 Cathedral 21

I’d concede that argument if Westfield had Cathedral’s offensive line and defense but that isn’t the case. QB play is really the only one question mark coming into the season, and while starting a sophomore QB doesn’t seem ideal, O’Neil isn’t like most sophomore QB’s. Already holds FBS offers and played varsity last year.

Oh quick O’Neil settles down will probably dictate the winning margin, but I don’t see Westfield stopping Cathedral more times than they score on Cathedral. If there was ever a time to break in a sophomore QB, it’s with Cathedral’s offensive line and defense behind him.

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

If there was ever a time to break in a sophomore QB, it’s with Cathedral’s offensive line and defense behind him.

Yeah, this. I could play QB for Cathedral this season and they'd only lose one game. I can't take a dump without pulling a muscle. 

Cathedral boosters have done a fine job putting together this year's team (only a joke my Irish friends)!

12 hours ago, TheDoctor22 said:

Yeah, this. I could play QB for Cathedral this season and they'd only lose one game. I can't take a dump without pulling a muscle. 

Cathedral boosters have done a fine job putting together this year's team (only a joke my Irish friends)!

lol how are your recruits? 

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

I don't make too many, if any, predictions but I'm really excited to begin the season and wonder why Cathedral has played at Westfield two years in a row.

I was told by a source we were supposed to host Carmel to start the season (to make good on our one-one agreement), but after the thumping we gave them last season at their place they backed out with their tail between their legs and Westfield was happy to play us again but would have to be at their place again!  Who knows but sounds logical!

• Like 1

This game is intriguing to say the least. My gut says Cathedral by a couple of scores, but would it be a complete shocker if Westfield won this game? Maybe I'm just out of the loop being two hours north. 

2 hours ago, Dave007 said:

I was told by a source we were supposed to host Carmel to start the season (to make good on our one-one agreement), but after the thumping we gave them last season at their place they backed out with their tail between their legs and Westfield was happy to play us again but would have to be at their place again!  Who knows but sounds logical!

In other words, Carmel Roncalled out.😆

16 hours ago, gaby said:

Give me Westfield, they are loaded this year as well.  Are they Center Grove-loaded? No.  But nobody else is either.

serious question, what does cg have that cathedral does not? This was said last year as well and that game should have resulted in a cathedral win, even though it did not. CG is loaded on defense but so is cathedral. Cathedral has a better O-line and better receiving core. Don't get me wrong, CG will be loaded and will be the best team in 6A but to say no one else will be loaded is ignorant.

24 minutes ago, IrishAlum22 said:

serious question, what does cg have that cathedral does not? This was said last year as well and that game should have resulted in a cathedral win, even though it did not. CG is loaded on defense but so is cathedral. Cathedral has a better O-line and better receiving core. Don't get me wrong, CG will be loaded and will be the best team in 6A but to say no one else will be loaded is ignorant.

Tayven Jackson, Daniel Weems, Caden Curry, Mitchell Evans.  That’s four things.

Anyway, the beautiful thing is they play head to head on October 15.  So it will prove itself out.  I stand by my statement, ignorant as you may think it is.

1 hour ago, gaby said:

Tayven Jackson, Daniel Weems, Caden Curry, Mitchell Evans.  That’s four things.

Anyway, the beautiful thing is they play head to head on October 15.  So it will prove itself out.  I stand by my statement, ignorant as you may think it is.

CG had all those guys last year as well. Two pretty evenly matched teams last year and I bet Cathedral returns more starters. I’m obviously biased, but I think Cathedral has the best defense in the state front to back. Obviously CG’s front 4 speaks for itself, but pretty sure CG is pretty inexperienced at LB and loses some key pieces in the secondary. October 15th should be a battle.

29 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

CG had all those guys last year as well. Two pretty evenly matched teams last year and I bet Cathedral returns more starters. I’m obviously biased, but I think Cathedral has the best defense in the state front to back. Obviously CG’s front 4 speaks for itself, but pretty sure CG is pretty inexperienced at LB and loses some key pieces in the secondary. October 15th should be a battle.

Don’t discount the two (that I know of) D1 CG transfers from Brownsburg.

4 hours ago, IrishAlum22 said:

Cathedral should have won that game?   Uh...okay.

7 minutes ago, Grover said:

Agreed.  But please describe how they should have won.

Because your team had to go nearly 60 yards with a little over a minute left and no timeouts after previously stopping Cathedral on 4th and a half yard on play where Cathedral wins eventually if they run literally any other play (or punt).

There were so many things that had to go right in Center Grove’s favor for Cathedral to lose that game.

Okay.  If we each get to take back a play I'll take back the pick six.

I'll go along with "the best team CG played all year" or "I thought CG was going to lose that game" or "Cathedral COULD have won" but I'm not buying the "should" have won.   Your mileage may vary.

I'm more concerned with Westfield now and I hope the team is also.  I'm sure Coach Peebles have them looking forward no further than tomorrow night.

It'll be nice if both CG and the Irish are undefeated into week 9, but that's a long way off.  Oh, and last year is history.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 11:52 AM, MICFan34 said:

How did both Cathedral and Westfield look in their respective scrimmages? Cathedral played FC and Westfield played BD. 

I know score isn't kept, or doesn't matter in these scrimmages. But the Cathedral- FC score was FC 19-7.

3 minutes ago, FBfanatic40 said:

I know score isn't kept, or doesn't matter in these scrimmages. But the Cathedral- FC score was FC 19-7.

That's sort of misleading, as Cathedral played their first team sparingly, and looked at all that dressed and the Irish had quite a few more players than FC.  

Good luck to the Flashes.  You have the coach to get you back on track.