Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen - Hopes and Expectations for the Future

15 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

The decline starting in the mid 70's with consolidation (phase 1).  The number of basketball gyms were decreased dramatically (60%) plus.  The death of IU basketball contributed as well (phase 2).  Just look at the media on a Friday night in SWI....basketball isn't even close (phase 3).  As someone highly involved with both sports in SWI I can tell you that the only people who really believe basketball is king in Indiana don't live here.  The movie "Hoosiers" has done more to perpetuate the myth that I ever thought possible.

The North Central Conference is where you will find the population holding on to the basketball mythology in this state.  This is where all the mammoth high school gyms were first built and legends like Rick Mount still persist .  (Yes, I know Lebanon is not in The NCC)  

Kokomo, Muncie, Richmond, Anderson, Marion, New Castle  are all tied first to hoops and likely always will be.

Edited by HHF

38 minutes ago, DE said:

Along with some charter schools near the Lake....

add MC Marquette and HAST.

Are there any true charter schools that play football in the state?

Edited by foxbat
deleted double-post glitch

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Football won quite some time ago.  (I am a basketball guy too BTW).  Been to any games in the Hatchet house lately?

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

How are Loogootee and Barr-Reeve doing? I don't believe football has "won" there.  

25 years ago Barr Reeve and Loogootee played sectionals at the Hatchet House in front of SRO crowds. 

Same was true at Vincennes, Princeton, and Southridge. Class basketball, except for specific matchups (like BR vs LO) makes sectional crowds kind of meh. 

Not sure who is King per se, but sectional football crowds beat sectional basketball crowds now. 

This is one of the reasons I am anti-district type scheduling. I think you would see the same kind of decline in fan interest that class basketball caused. 

2 hours ago, HHF said:

The North Central Conference is where you will find the population holding on to the basketball mythology in this state.  This is where all the mammoth high school gyms were first built and legends like Rick Mount still persist .  (Yes, I know Lebanon is not in The NCC)  

Kokomo, Muncie, Richmond, Anderson, Marion, New Castle  are all tied first to hoops and likely always will be.

Kokomo's Memorial Gymnasium is just about the perfect place to watch a high school basketball game.

3 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

After a few days of being away, I came back and read this thread.  I will never get the lost time back......

Muda, you can give me all the down votes you want....truly not much of a motivator for me.  My comment wasn't directed toward any one person.  Pretty much most comments. Jets vs The Sharks

If that you "feel" my comment in a less than positive way, well sorry...nothing personal to you intended. 

Hopefully, we are all just bored without football.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Muda, you can give me all the down votes you want....truly not much of a motivator for me.  My comment wasn't directed toward any one person.  Pretty much most comments. Jets vs The Sharks

If that you "feel" my comment in a less than positive way, well sorry...nothing personal to you intended. 

Hopefully, we are all just bored without football.

I have lots of football activity.  Come over to The HHF. 

6 hours ago, foxbat said:

Are there any true charter schools that play football in the state?

Anderson Prep Academy, Bowman Academy, Christel House Manual, Dugger Union, Indianapolis Tindley, Oldenburg Academy, Phalen Academy, Purdue Polytechnic, and Rock Creek Academy.

52 minutes ago, temptation said:

A combined 10-54 in 2021.

Had a game with Bowman last year early in the season. Weather was very warm. 

They came and played the entire game with only 13 players dressed. Played their hearts out. Coaches coached their tails off. Their fans cheered wonderfully for them. 

Never once felt sorry for themselves. Lost but competed so hard. I was very proud of those kids, coaches and family members. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DE said:

Had a game with Bowman last year early in the season. Weather was very warm. 

They came and played the entire game with only 13 players dressed. Played their hearts out. Coaches coached their tails off. Their fans cheered wonderfully for them. 

Never once felt sorry for themselves. Lost but competed so hard. I was very proud of those kids, coaches and family members. 

Awesome story man.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gonzoron said:

For the most part, these towns are not relevant to any high school sport anymore.

Thats truly unfortunate

3 hours ago, temptation said:

A combined 10-54 in 2021.

Are these considered true "varsity" football programs?

4 hours ago, HHF said:

Thats truly unfortunate

It surely is. See also: East Chicago and Gary. But we can't talk about that here, it might make others feel uncomfortable and lead to more membership cancellations. I certainly don't want that, they seem to drag on forever.

11 hours ago, gonzoron said:

It surely is. See also: East Chicago and Gary. But we can't talk about that here, it might make others feel uncomfortable and lead to more membership cancellations. I certainly don't want that, they seem to drag on forever.

Why can’t people discuss East Chicago and Gary?  Why would it make people feel uncomfortable?  Interested to hear your thoughts on those 2 communities from the Hamilton Heights area. Some 1.5-2 hours away. 

• Like 1