Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

I'll be the homer and take Floyd Central. Although I'm expecting this to be a toss up game. BNL is tough. They gave B-North all they wanted on the road. Floyd Central will need to play extremely well to get out of this game with a win.

I'll take NA. These programs are in really bad shape. I've heard people and parents in both communities complaining about what's going on at these places. This would be a feel good win for either of these teams. I think Cooley will have the better gameplan and win this one.

Seymour here. One of the best 3-3 teams you'll see in the Southern Indiana. Lost 3 games they could've won. Perry leads the State in passing. They'll roll Jennings County.

B-North. East isn't bad defensively, they just can't score. B-North wins by 21 or more.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

BNL

NA

Seymour

BHSN

FC is going to have to prove they can win a game when it counts to me. Not passing judgement just looking at history. 

I'm not sure I really understand that? They beat BNL in the Sectional Championship just a few years ago. They won a Neutral site game against Terre Haute South. I'm not arguing with anyone picking BNL, but I'm not sure the "FC needs to win a game that counts" applies here. I've seen plenty of HHC teams lose games that count including BNL.

Edited by Fkfootball

Source: New Albany Tribune

FLOYDS KNOBS — Thanks to its first win at Columbus East in 20 years, Floyd Central is off to its best start in 12.

With their 28-3 Hoosier Hills Conference triumph over the Olympians last Friday night, the Highlanders are 5-1 for the first time since 2011.

“Our offense is putting up major yardage and points and our defense has finally settled down,” Floyd Central head coach James Bragg said following Monday’s practice. “We got some guys back in the secondary who have really helped us out. It’s nice these last two weeks just giving up only 10 points on defense and scoring almost 30 (last week and 42 the week before), so things are going pretty good right now.”

That victory, coupled with the Highlanders’ 14-12 triumph over the O’s at Ron Weigleb Stadium in 2022, gave Floyd its first win streak against East — which dominated this series and the HHC until long-time coach Bob Gaddis retired in 2020 — since the 2002 and ‘03 seasons.

“We went up there with the mindset that they understood that last year wasn’t a fluke,” Bragg said. “Some people thought (East) fumbled the ball late last year when we beat them here by two points, and that it was their fault. (They thought) we didn’t beat’em, it was their mistake that caused us to win. Our kids took that personally. We had a great offseason and we went in there and we just played our game. We ran the football successfully and we stopped the run. The biggest stat of the night for us was (that) they had eight third downs and never converted one of them — they were 0-for-8 on third downs. So when you do that to a team, it doesn’t matter who it is, that’s going to help you win.”

“We executed in every aspect of the game,” Bragg said. “We didn’t block any kicks, but we had some really good punt returns and we had some good kickoff returns that set our offense up for some short yardage fields. … Any time that you beat somebody by 25, you’re happy. For us to go up there and play well like we did and kind of prove to people around here that it wasn’t a fluke — even some of our community members — it was nice.”

Next up for the Highlanders (5-1, 3-0) is a huge HHC showdown. Floyd Central will host fellow league unbeaten Bedford North Lawrence (4-2, 4-0) at 7 p.m. Friday night.

“We told them that as long as we take care of business you set yourself up for an opportunity to win a conference title,” Bragg said.

Edited by Fkfootball

12 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

I'm not sure I really understand that? They beat BNL in the Sectional Championship just a few years ago. They won a Neutral site game against Terre Haute South. I'm not arguing with anyone picking BNL, but I'm not sure the "FC needs to win a game that counts" applies here. I've seen plenty of HHC teams lose games that count including BNL.

I said what I said. 

15 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

I think it just comes back to what they’ve done so far this decade and how they’ve lost games a lot of people thought they’d win. I remember you and a lot of people saying they’d be sectional champs in 2020 only to get upset by Jeffersonville in the championship game. That shocked a lot of people, especially considering Floyd Central had beaten them by 35 and by 28 earlier in the year.

In 2021, after East’s HHC win streak had ended at the hands of Seymour and the home winning streak ended two weeks later against New Albany, you and a lot of people predicted Floyd Central would be the next team to avenge nearly two decades of defeats. Instead, East won by 14. This was three weeks after Floyd Central had surprisingly lost to a Silver Creek team that had lost a lot of experience from the prior year’s 9-1 team.

Then, last year, you and a lot of folks had Floyd Central winning the HHC. Instead, they opened HHC play with a loss to Seymour. Two weeks later, Floyd Central beat an East team that had beaten Seymour. Now the Highlanders were in position to clinch at least a share of an HHC title. Instead, they dropped their next two against teams they were favored to beat. BNL knocked them off and then Jennings County pulled a major upset and beat them.

So that’s why folks like me and @Impartial_Observer are a little hesitant with your Highlanders. It’s nothing personal. Just feels like we’ve been let down by expectations. Personally, I think this year’s team is different but we will find out on Friday night and beyond.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I think it just comes back to what they’ve done so far this decade and how they’ve lost games a lot of people thought they’d win. I remember you and a lot of people saying they’d be sectional champs in 2020 only to get upset by Jeffersonville in the championship game. That shocked a lot of people, especially considering Floyd Central had beaten them by 35 and by 28 earlier in the year.

In 2021, after East’s HHC win streak had ended at the hands of Seymour and the home winning streak ended two weeks later against New Albany, you and a lot of people predicted Floyd Central would be the next team to avenge nearly two decades of defeats. Instead, East won by 14. This was three weeks after Floyd Central had surprisingly lost to a Silver Creek team that had lost a lot of experience from the prior year’s 9-1 team.

Then, last year, you and a lot of folks had Floyd Central winning the HHC. Instead, they opened HHC play with a loss to Seymour. Two weeks later, Floyd Central beat an East team that had beaten Seymour. Now the Highlanders were in position to clinch at least a share of an HHC title. Instead, they dropped their next two against teams they were favored to beat. BNL knocked them off and then Jennings County pulled a major upset and beat them.

So that’s why folks like me and @Impartial_Observer are a little hesitant with your Highlanders. It’s nothing personal. Just feels like we’ve been let down by expectations. Personally, I think this year’s team is different but we will find out on Friday night and beyond.

It could be the fact that they aren't dealing with a massive amount of injuries like they were the last 2 seasons. Impartial Observer isn't skeptical of anything. He doesn't like Floyd Central. I don't hold it against him. But it's my conclusion. Lol.

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2023 at 8:34 AM, Bobref said:

There are some instances, often involving player or coach disqualifications, that the IHSAA reviews video. But they have nowhere near the manpower needed to police 160 games every weekend. So, most of the “heinous/irresponsible calls” go unaddressed. And by “heinous/irresponsible calls” I mean those that “I disagree with and go against my team.”

Coaches can turn in video for IHSAA to review.  

3 minutes ago, Bulldog15 said:

I'm not talking about player or coaches disqualifications.  I'm talking about heinous calls by officials.  In some instances they can lose points that go towards officiating in the state series or even pay.

19 minutes ago, Bulldog15 said:

I'm not talking about player or coaches disqualifications.  I'm talking about heinous calls by officials.  In some instances they can lose points that go towards officiating in the state series or even pay.

I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but I would suggest you find a better source.

26 minutes ago, Bulldog15 said:

Sure they can. Now, whether it actually gets reviewed is another question.

19 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

I'll be the homer and take Floyd Central. Although I'm expecting this to be a toss up game. BNL is tough. They gave B-North all they wanted on the road. Floyd Central will need to play extremely well to get out of this game with a win.

I'll take NA. These programs are in really bad shape. I've heard people and parents in both communities complaining about what's going on at these places. This would be a feel good win for either of these teams. I think Cooley will have the better gameplan and win this one.

Seymour here. One of the best 3-3 teams you'll see in the Southern Indiana. Lost 3 games they could've won. Perry leads the State in passing. They'll roll Jennings County.

B-North. East isn't bad defensively, they just can't score. B-North wins by 21 or more.

We didn't just give them all they wanted. It wasn't like it was just a "valiant effort".  We had control most of the game.

48 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

That's not what I meant at all. Although I think B-South is better than B-North despite the rankings.

Both Bloomington schools have their flaws. South has always had a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot with penalties. North doesn’t usually live up to expectations very well and has a tendency to play down to their competition. If either of them make it to semistate, I think it’ll be the end of the road. I think the state representative out of the south will come from sectional 13. Snider is still my pick to win it all though, even with last week’s loss to Homestead.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

I don’t know where you’re getting your information, but I would suggest you find a better source.

Sure they can. Now, whether it actually gets reviewed is another question.

You must have not lost any money or points so keep up the good work! 😄 

I imagine safety issues like intentional helmet to helmet contact right in front of the official and on video may get some attention by the IHSAA.

3 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Sagarin, MaxPreps, and CalPreps all agree that the top teams in 1A, 3A, and 4A are all better than the top team in 5A. Did you guys enjoy the debate last night?

My opinion is that the top team in 5A isn’t legitimately a top 5 team in 5A. They’re just the only one that’s undefeated.

• Like 1