Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 3A outlook

30 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Chatard lists the schools their players went to grade/middle school on their program. Do GS and HH do that?

If we did, it might be a little misleading as most our Catholic kids go to Catholic grade school but public Jr. High (6-8th).  We might be on the only corporation in the state with three public Jr. High schools (one additional Catholic school offers 6th-8th) as Jr. Highs seem to be a dying breed.

6 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

If we did, it might be a little misleading as most our Catholic kids go to Catholic grade school but public Jr. High (6-8th). 

So they're recruited at an early age. I think I see how that works.

9 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

We might be on the only corporation in the state with three public Jr. High schools

Carmel has 3. 

19 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

If we did, it might be a little misleading as most our Catholic kids go to Catholic grade school but public Jr. High (6-8th).  We might be on the only corporation in the state with three public Jr. High schools (one additional Catholic school offers 6th-8th) as Jr. Highs seem to be a dying breed.

9 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Carmel has 3. 

TSC has six; three for Harrison ... Battleground, East Tipp, and Klondike ...  and three for McCutcheon ... Southwestern, Wainwright, and Wea Ridge.  By contrast, Jeff has just one ... Tecumseh.

Just now, foxbat said:

TSC has six; three for Harrison ... Battleground, East Tipp, and Klondike ...  and three for McCutcheon ... Southwestern, Wainwright, and Wea Ridge.  By contrast, Jeff has just one ... Tecumseh.

Our 3 are actually k-8.  The Catholics just joint come in until 6-8th.  I should have said K-8 buildings are a dying breed.

3 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Gibson Southern might indeed be the only 3A public school I know of that has more than 1 middle school. Here in Hamilton County, only 6A schools have more than 1-Carmel, Noblesville, Hamilton Southeastern and Fishers. Westfield only has 1.

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Our 3 are actually k-8.  The Catholics just joint come in until 6-8th.  I should have said K-8 buildings are a dying breed.

Oh, OK.  That's not what I would have considered a junior high.

Yes, I would definitely agree that K-8 programs/building are dying breeds; even amongst Catholic schools.  In Catholic schools, more so than in public schools, is the realization that early Catholic school often leads to later public school; not because of anything bad in the schools, just the nature of the beast.  There are different break points in Catholic education.  Some folks will do Catholic education through 2nd grade then head to public schools.  The catalyst?  The kid has made their First Communion.  The break between 6th/7th grade or 5th/6th depending on whether there's a 7th/8th junior high or 6th/7th/8th junior high as tuition rates tend to jump at that break and also folks look at that as a natural switching point if the Catholic education is in competition with secular.  Of course, the last break ends up being that junior high / high school break.  Again, tuition and the competition component comes into play.  There's also the realization of cost/demand and parish connection.  In Lafayette, we have one parish's elementary school that is K-3 that feeds into another parish's 4-6 and another parish that is K-6.  Three parishes do not have schools associated with them.  There's only one JH and one SH and the JH/SH occupy the same building/campus.  The reality of costs/savings/demand make K-8 not sustainable in a situation like this.  I suspect that, for public schools, it's more an issue of economies of scale and consolidation as opposed to a demand-linked issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tango said:

Maybe playing a tougher schedule better prepares a team to handle adversity, whether it be the opponent or bad weather. What is that line I see on here sometimes about ifs and buts being my aunt's candies and nuts and my uncle having a wonderful Christmas?  

Please explain to everyone how playing a tougher schedule prepares you for a 15° game with winds and sleet coming down 😂

the game is commonly referred to on here as the ice bowl

but sure I bet if GS scheduled someone from Evansville during that time they would have been properly prepared lmao 

2 hours ago, HHPatriots said:

Not to mention there are probably more Catholics on GS team (or HH for that matter) than Chatard's.....sorry, couldn't pass on that one, all the Chatard folks don't get too wadded up...

Everybody wants Bama, until they get Bama.  We have had a bunch of close heartbreakers with Chatard over the years and just one win.  Frankly, it doesn't bother me at all when they are in 4A, makes 3A more interesting.  Be careful what you wish for.  Playing Chatard in the regular season and the postseason are 2 different animals.

I think it’s more that GS is now at a point where they want to play in big time games against tough opponents.  Even Coach Hart has talked about it this year.  The players love the big games against great teams where everyone is watching.

In the summer they are going to 7on7s vs teams all across the Midwest and sometimes SEC country when they played in the National 7on7 in Alabama…state champion teams throughout all of it.  

Brownsburg is the team camp every year.

The out of conference schedule is made up of the toughest teams they can schedule

I think I just saw that the freshman team beat Franklin central? Not a powerhouse but they are 6A I believe.  The middle school teams travel to Knoxville for their national tournament during the summer.

like….every step of the way the program is trying to play the best teams they can and win…and they do win. I just don’t see the problem.  Literally from top to bottom in season and during the offseason…Hart is putting GS in a position to be challenged and the players have accepted the challenge.

plus…hey…if I get my wish of facing Chatard, that means GS took care of business and has won 5 playoff games and is playing in LOS….so I would be very happy with that lol 

No way a team can prepare for the weather per se, but a team that has faced adversity is more likely to be mentally tougher than a team that curb-stomped everyone all year. I realize it wasn't a weather game, but a perfect example is 2012 GS beating Charlestown in 3A Regional. Charlestown hadn't faced adversity all season and killed people. When they got up on GS and GS didn't quit and came battling back, Charlestown well, you know.     

25 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think it’s more that GS is now at a point where they want to play in big time games against tough opponents.  Even Coach Hart has talked about it this year.  The players love the big games against great teams where everyone is watching.

In the summer they are going to 7on7s vs teams all across the Midwest and sometimes SEC country when they played in the National 7on7 in Alabama…state champion teams throughout all of it.  

Brownsburg is the team camp every year.

The out of conference schedule is made up of the toughest teams they can schedule

I think I just saw that the freshman team beat Franklin central? Not a powerhouse but they are 6A I believe.  The middle school teams travel to Knoxville for their national tournament during the summer.

like….every step of the way the program is trying to play the best teams they can and win…and they do win. I just don’t see the problem.  Literally from top to bottom in season and during the offseason…Hart is putting GS in a position to be challenged and the players have accepted the challenge.

plus…hey…if I get my wish of facing Chatard, that means GS took care of business and has won 5 playoff games and is playing in LOS….so I would be very happy with that lol 

How does some of that summer stuff impact multi-sport players? I don't follow much basketball or baseball, so I don't have any sense of whether GS has a lot of 2 and 3 sport players. I know Titan32's son played basketball, but that's about it. 

Personally, I think some of that summer stuff is overkill, but it is creating a commitment level that is unmatched. I suppose that is but one reason why GS is separating itself from the rest of the PAC.

10 minutes ago, tango said:

No way a team can prepare for the weather per se, but a team that has faced adversity is more likely to be mentally tougher than a team that curb-stomped everyone all year. I realize it wasn't a weather game, but a perfect example is 2012 GS beating Charlestown in 3A Regional. Charlestown hadn't faced adversity all season and killed people. When they got up on GS and GS didn't quit and came battling back, Charlestown well, you know.     

But like……it was 22-20  Chatard with 5 minutes left in the game in 2015.  On their final drive GS had their 6th fumble (4th lost) of the game.  They had 6 turnovers total for the game including a fumble that went for a Chatard TD

like…what are you talking about Willis? 

Overcoming 5 turnovers and it being a 2 point game with under 5 minutes left with a chance to drive down and win the game against Chatard is about as good as it gets when it comes to overcoming adversity.

6 was just 1 too many lol 

I’m just going to chalk this one up as a way for Memorial fans to forget that they lost 22-19 to Princeton in round 1 of sectionals that year 😉 I wouldn’t want to think about that much either 

3 minutes ago, tango said:

How does some of that summer stuff impact multi-sport players? I don't follow much basketball or baseball, so I don't have any sense of whether GS has a lot of 2 and 3 sport players. I know Titan32's son played basketball, but that's about it. 

Personally, I think some of that summer stuff is overkill, but it is creating a commitment level that is unmatched. I suppose that is but one reason why GS is separating itself from the rest of the PAC.

Without looking….I feel like there is little to no change.  If anything slightly better?

at least from what I can remember, GS’s other boys sports teams are doing about the same/slightly better than what they were doing when I was in HS right before Hart arrived. 

don’t think there has been much impact on other sports…but it’s not like GS is a powerhouse across the board at boys sports.  We all know GS is better at the girls sports across the board than anything 

7 minutes ago, tango said:

Baseball kids (travel or Legion) can struggle with it but Coach Hart encourages multi-sport kids.  Basketball with football makes June very brutal.

Edited by Titan32

Just now, Titan32 said:

Baseball kids can struggle with it but Coach Hart encourages multi-sport kids.  Basketball with football makes June very brutal.

Yeah, I would think he would. Any great coach is going to want multi-sport kids. That is the big conflict with us too. Travel baseball is insane.  

7 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

But like……it was 22-20  Chatard with 5 minutes left in the game in 2015.  On their final drive GS had their 6th fumble (4th lost) of the game.  They had 6 turnovers total for the game including a fumble that went for a Chatard TD

like…what are you talking about Willis? 

Overcoming 5 turnovers and it being a 2 point game with under 5 minutes left with a chance to drive down and win the game against Chatard is about as good as it gets when it comes to overcoming adversity.

6 was just 1 too many lol 

I’m just going to chalk this one up as a way for Memorial fans to forget that they lost 22-19 to Princeton in round 1 of sectionals that year 😉 I wouldn’t want to think about that much either 

No question GS was tremendous in 2015. How many fumbles did Chatard have? 

As a person with no connection to that game (but in looking at the box score) it would seem that the bigger issues were Chatard averaged roughly 5.5 ypc with 1 fumble every 10 carries while GS averaged roughly 2.5 ypc with a fumble every 8 carries. The fumbles per carry were similar but the ypc weren’t. It seems like the 2-0 edge in interceptions was the real key. If GS struggled to run the ball, then being forced to pass in that game was their downfall (especially if they were primarily a passing team all year). I believe Woody Hayes said “Only three things happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad”. 

17 minutes ago, Just a dad said:

As a person with no connection to that game (but in looking at the box score) it would seem that the bigger issues were Chatard averaged roughly 5.5 ypc with 1 fumble every 10 carries while GS averaged roughly 2.5 ypc with a fumble every 8 carries. The fumbles per carry were similar but the ypc weren’t. It seems like the 2-0 edge in interceptions was the real key. If GS struggled to run the ball, then being forced to pass in that game was their downfall (especially if they were primarily a passing team all year). I believe Woody Hayes said “Only three things happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad”. 

That and Chatard cheated because they're Catholic. /thread

5 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

That and Chatard cheated because they're Catholic. /thread

But there are more Catholics at GS than Chatard. :classic_laugh:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Just a dad said:

Like many, I remember that game well.  With that, the weather that day was tailor made for Coach L’s offense in those days…..that game played at LOS would have looked very different.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Get your phrases straight - it’s “Dirty, Cheatin’ Catholics”.  

Best way to even the score when you are hosting "Dirty, Cheatin' Catholics" at your facility is to make sure to have a Fish Fry, but lose the utensils.  True "Dirty, Cheatin' Catholics" can't resist a fish fry during tailgating, even outside of Lent, and will eat the fish with their fingers; making it harder for their receivers and backs to hang on to the ball.

• Haha 5