Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2022

DumfriesYMCA

Supposedly Purdue is the leader to land Hudson Card who is a former Top 100 recruit that lost the Texas job to Ewers. It's possible Allen wasn't too happy that Harrell/Walters were looking at the portal for a QB. Card played a few games this year when Ewers was hurt and put up very solid numbers. It's entirely possible he could be an upgrade considering Allen has never started a Big Ten game. 

3 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Supposedly Purdue is the leader to land Hudson Card who is a former Top 100 recruit that lost the Texas job to Ewers. It's possible Allen wasn't too happy that Harrell/Walters were looking at the portal for a QB. Card played a few games this year when Ewers was hurt and put up very solid numbers. It's entirely possible he could be an upgrade considering Allen has never started a Big Ten game. 

Beat me to it.  Just heard this exact same rumor.

This is just purely speculation on my part…but it’s possible that Allen stays at Purdue still.

last week the new coaches were quoted as saying “we want to land a high profile QB in the transfer portal”

well….now there is another high profile QB in the transfer portal…and oh look he already likes Purdue lol.

imo it was a stupid comment from the coaching staff and costly to say.  You have two 4 star recruits on the roster including Brady who was anywhere from 4th to 9th in his class at his position…and the new coaches are talking about chasing guys in the portal while Brian brohm and Hagen are running practices but leaving after the bowl game.  

just really a poor transition to me 

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

https://hookemheadlines.com/2022/12/25/texas-football-3-breakout-players-stepping-up-late-in-bowl-practice/

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

This is just purely speculation on my part…but it’s possible that Allen stays at Purdue still.

last week the new coaches were quoted as saying “we want to land a high profile QB in the transfer portal”

well….now there is another high profile QB in the transfer portal…and oh look he already likes Purdue lol.

imo it was a stupid comment from the coaching staff and costly to say.  You have two 4 star recruits on the roster including Brady who was anywhere from 4th to 9th in his class at his position…and the new coaches are talking about chasing guys in the portal while Brian brohm and Hagen are running practices but leaving after the bowl game.  

just really a poor transition to me 

Spot on! Honestly, they could be sending a message to Allen that if you want the job you're going to face adversity and earn it in the Spring against some real competition. But, if they strikeout in the portal and/or a portal transfer doesn't produce, they're going to look foolish if Allen does end up transferring somewhere. On the flip side, maybe this is Allen's move to force Walters/Harrell into proving that their plan for an offensive scheme is good enough for Allen to stay. 

On 12/16/2022 at 6:55 PM, temptation said:

Fickell…his roots in Ohio will land some top notch O$U leftovers…

You see Fleck is already accusing Fickell of negative recruiting against Minnesota? That could be a nice littler rivalry brewing in the West.

5 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Spot on! Honestly, they could be sending a message to Allen that if you want the job you're going to face adversity and earn it in the Spring against some real competition. But, if they strikeout in the portal and/or a portal transfer doesn't produce, they're going to look foolish if Allen does end up transferring somewhere. On the flip side, maybe this is Allen's move to force Walters/Harrell into proving that their plan for an offensive scheme is good enough for Allen to stay. 

You see Fleck is already accusing Fickell of negative recruiting against Minnesota? That could be a nice littler rivalry brewing in the West.

Well judging by the reports of the texas transfer I’m going to assume Allen isn’t staying now.  I have to imagine Allen was told the situation was fluid still and then recently the new coaches spoke with him and told him their plans and how it would work for him….and ultimately he needed to make choices.

Louisville is obviously a favorite since it was so publicized that Allen loves the Brohms.  

Notre dame would be a fun one.  They need a QB because of the portal too….and I think Allen grew up a big Notre dame fan 

Other places might be cincy/wake/Pitt…Washington because of coach Shepard? 

56 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Yes.  What a loser mentality.

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

No win situation in Austin.  If Ewers struggles in the bowl game, the pressure to start Arch Manning will be immense the moment the kid steps foot on campus.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

No win situation in Austin.  If Ewers struggles in the bowl game, the pressure to start Arch Manning will be immense the moment the kid steps foot on campus.

Mmm idk

i think it’s nothing but a win for the longhorns 

ewers was #1 in his class…moved up a class and was still #1 

Murphy another 5 star guy I believe and top 10 for his class with Brady

and then you got Arch Manning??

it’s going to be bad for 1, maybe 2 of those guys…but for texas, it’s amazing.

I kinda compare it to Alabama a few years back/now

Jalen hurts initially….Tua comes in takes over…Mac Jones gets 1 year to prove it…does…then Bryce young follows 

Mac Jones is the odd one out since he wasn’t a top recruit…but either way, the top programs in the country find ways to keep multiple high level QB prospects on their roster and always have a good QB room with depth.  

Texas may have lost Card but they have good problem at QB imo 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

3 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Mmm idk

i think it’s nothing but a win for the longhorns 

ewers was #1 in his class…moved up a class and was still #1 

Murphy another 5 star guy I believe and top 10 for his class with Brady

and then you got Arch Manning??

it’s going to be bad for 1, maybe 2 of those guys…but for texas, it’s amazing.

I kinda compare it to Alabama a few years back/now

Jalen hurts initially….Tua comes in takes over…Mac Jones gets 1 year to prove it…does…then Bryce young follows 

Mac Jones is the odd one out since he wasn’t a top recruit…but either way, the top programs in the country find ways to keep multiple high level QB prospects on their roster and always have a good QB room with depth.  

Texas may have lost Card but they have good problem at QB imo 

If Manning wins the job, Ewers is gone immediately.

Its just how things work these days.

10 minutes ago, temptation said:

If Manning wins the job, Ewers is gone immediately.

Its just how things work these days.

Yep. He's not going to sit the bench. The musical chairs of QB's is pretty wild to see. I can't believe I just saw Slovis and JT Daniel's were back in the portal and have found new schools.....AGAIN.

Edited by Boilernation

34 minutes ago, temptation said:

It really is. I couldn't imaging getting paid that much money to coach FB and then complaining that another coach is negatively recruiting against me. That's something you keep in house.  It could be worse. At least he's not pulling a Dabo and claiming that he builds his programs NIL in God's name, image, and likeliness. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Did Purdue not believe in Allen?  I don’t get it. The new Purdue coach is tweeting with a cat who ate the canary look because he landed the Texas QB…a person he’s never worked with….I thought a year ago, Allen was the future. What has happened?? 

Sounds to me like hurt feelings.

8 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Did Purdue not believe in Allen?  I don’t get it. The new Purdue coach is tweeting with a cat who ate the canary look because he landed the Texas QB…a person he’s never worked with….I thought a year ago, Allen was the future. What has happened?? 

The coaching carousel did its annual shebang 

Let’s see…Wisconsin fired Paul Chryst.

Luke Fickell left cincy to take the Wisconsin job

with Cincy now available, Scott Satterfield took that job and left Louisville.

which then left Jeff Brohm being asked to return to Louisville again where he accepted 

which left Purdue without a coach, enter Walters and his staff 

I read earlier that of the 2017-2019 classes (the first 3 classes in which the transfer portal existed) 70% of 4 and 5 star QBs have transferred at least once.  That’s just an insane number but it’s kinda how football is in todays world….at the nfl level, new coach usually means drafting or trading for a different QB.  

2 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

That wasn’t the question. Why go after the Texas QB, if you recruited Allen a year ago indicating he was the future?  Why not hand Allen the keys?

The new staff didn't make that commitment.  Makes life a lot easier with a proven starter year one.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

The new staff didn't make that commitment.  Makes life a lot easier with a proven starter year one.

I get that…perhaps it’s my bias showing for Allen. Hope he ends up at IU or another Big Ten school and makes Purdue regret losing him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

I get that…perhaps it’s my bias showing for Allen. Hope he ends up at IU or another Big Ten school and makes Purdue regret losing him. 

I hope he makes Purdue regret losing him as well just not while in the Big Ten. I only watched him play 1 HS football game and I came away thoroughly sold that he wasn't just showing the difference between a BIg 10 and MAC recruit, moreso that he was showing the difference between a high end to low end Big Ten recruit. The throws he was making in that game against Brebeuf were elite. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do at Purdue when given the chance.