Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2022

DumfriesYMCA

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

A teacher friend mentioned that Kevin Sumlin’s name was brought up. 

That is who Morgan Burke would of hired

Bobinski is an actual legit big prize AD imo.   His presser yesterday seemed like he was ready to pounce soon. 

A name that maybe intriguing, DeBoar, then bring Shep back with ya, but would he leave West Coast after being in Washington only 1 year?  

Funny one that I heard was a combo of Sean Payton and Drew Brees....... I like to partake, however, someone been sipping that sauce too much 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 7:54 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Starting to see some smoke from UGA on Monken, lots of articles being bantered about on Purdue high interest 

I would be highly in favor of this. I rather Purdue hire someone that isn't going to use Purdue as a stepping stone. Monken is mid '50's with a lot of experience as an OC in college and the NFL. I would like to think he would pull a Joe Tiller and just ride a HC job out to retirement.

from what I can gather, seems to be down to this:

Beamer is their current target, turns it down, they pivot to Walters at Illinois, or Helton at WKU

South Carolina has Board meeting tomorrow, to supposedly give Beamer a raise but will it be enough to keep Purdue at Bay?  Beamer did just hire his OC, so he may have told Boilers no thanks, and will take the raise and stay where he best known area he familiar with. 

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I would be highly in favor of this. I rather Purdue hire someone that isn't going to use Purdue as a stepping stone. Monken is mid '50's with a lot of experience as an OC in college and the NFL. I would like to think he would pull a Joe Tiller and just ride a HC job out to retirement.

He seems like a very good coach, but he has never stayed anywhere for very long. 

13 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

UGH

losing Hagen to L'Ville is devastating, that is a gut punch 

Agreed, but is this kind of expected? I would think most Coordinators don't want to wait around to see if the new boss will keep them. Has it been reported that they're going after Beamer or do you have good sources? Seems like it could just be a cash grab by him and his agent to float his name for South Carolina to pay him more. I do like Walters even though he's a defensive oriented coach. I like that he has experience building a very solid defense without 4 and 5 star recruits.

8 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Welp, completely underwhelming hire,   REEKS of choice #7,8,9........

See what kind of staff building and recruiting chops Coach Walters has 

I do like his youth, but again, will Boilers be in same spot again in 3 years ??

Tough call, but Illinois did have one of the best defenses in the country...

#trusttheprocess

38 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Welp, completely underwhelming hire,   REEKS of choice #7,8,9........

See what kind of staff building and recruiting chops Coach Walters has 

I do like his youth, but again, will Boilers be in same spot again in 3 years ??

Likely. My guess is it either doesn't work or he's wildly succesful and moves on to a better program or goes back home to Colorado once Deion uses the Buffs for a better gig. 

and what did Brohm do this guys' offense when he was at Missouri as DC and again at Illinois this past year

Im a patient guy, time will tell, but......... this reeks of just not being able to again attract the Dan Mullen, Monken types at Purdue    which bums me out, but will be willing to give Walters plenty of time to earn my support 

• Like 1

Mr. Doyel at the Indianapolis Star is already gushing over the hire of Mr. Walters:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2022/12/13/purdue-football-goes-outside-box-to-hire-illinois-dc-ryan-walters/69724797007/

(Note: Commentary is behind a paywall)

Before we get into the numbers, let’s acknowledge that you don’t know, you can’t know, how an assistant will do when he slides into the big chair. You see it all the time, highly respected coordinators getting their first crack at a head coaching job and then flopping. Almost every coordinator Bill Belichick has ever had in New England, for example, or first-year Oklahoma coach Brent Venables this season, Clemson’s longtime star defensive coordinator leading the formidable Sooners into a 6-6 hole. It happens.

Won’t happen at Purdue. That’s how strongly I believe in Ryan Walters – to write it like that, in a way Google won’t forget. There are accounts on Twitter devoted solely to bad predictions, bad takes (Freezing Cold Takes is my favorite), and they’ll bookmark this story, just in case. Which is fine. The URL doesn’t scare me.

Ryan Walters’ defensive PPG? The INT, the YPG? Now, those are scary. And the things people say about Walters, people who have worked with him and coached against him? That’s special. Makes you wonder why you ever wanted Purdue to hire another offensive flavor of the month. Anybody can do that.

Purdue just did something better.

• Thanks 1

I like Coach Walters already. 

today was his first day in WL….and one of the first things he did was get Mockobee on scholarship.

it’s about damn time!  Kid should have been on scholarship to begin with, but even So I didn’t understand why the Brohms didn’t extend the offer after he broke out a few months ago 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Tremendous video and energizing start,  ways to go, and ultimately, winning matters with schedule tuned up quite a bit next year, but from all accounts seems to have that way to captivate the room.  

Seems like Boilers followed ND playbook here.  

I'm definately optimistic about the hire. Just as a Purdue fan accustomed to not having nice things I'm convinced this will be a stepping stone for him if he does succeed. IF that becomes a possibility, I would like to see if Purdue goes all in financially to keep the wolves at bay. 

WOW.  Bobinski, with a subtle shot at BROHM CORP

Giving Coach Walters 5.5 to $6 Million for assistant Coach pool:    Most Brohm got was $4 Million,  clear message from Bobinski, hey here is legit pool of money to hire your guys that are NOT your brothers.  

Bravo, Bobinski, (That's fun to say) 

22 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

WOW.  Bobinski, with a subtle shot at BROHM CORP

Giving Coach Walters 5.5 to $6 Million for assistant Coach pool:    Most Brohm got was $4 Million,  clear message from Bobinski, hey here is legit pool of money to hire your guys that are NOT your brothers.  

Bravo, Bobinski, (That's fun to say) 

The Nepitism was starting to get to me with the Brohms.  The fact Brady was on the sidelines cussing at refs seemed off to me and I'm not sure what value Greg brought to the team. Seems we sacrificed in other places because of the keep it in the family approach especially in creativity and having a healthy dose of conflict.

wait til they announce that they have 1 maybe 2 Defensive starters who didn't make grades 

Brady being the 1st out of the Tunnel at B10 game was very....um....Interesting.   

I appreciate what Jeff Brohm did, he cared about Purdue and doing the job he was given, but this past year seemed off and I think he was 1 foot out the door since August, and I have now heard that from multiple folks who I would consider trust worthy knowledge peeps.   

Wish Brohm Corp well in L'ville, my page has turned and ready for this journey 

On 12/13/2022 at 12:00 PM, Boilernation said:

Likely. My guess is it either doesn't work or he's wildly succesful and moves on to a better program or goes back home to Colorado once Deion uses the Buffs for a better gig. 

Paving the way for Drew Brees. Finally a coach who won't look at Purdue as a stepping stone for a better job. One can see the writing on the wall here. 

Edited by BTF

Anyone who is taking this Brees thing is anything other than a  cute little PR ploy is sadly mistaken,  sure he is going to spend 2 weeks with Boilers, then he is off to whatever, now don't get me wrong, glad Drew Brees is an active alum and arguable Purdue most successful NFL player, however, he is NOT going to be grinding it out as a College Offensive Coordinator, why would he???   

Also, Zero chance this game will be close: 

Alaimo and or Allen throwing to who???   No Durham, No Jones, No Milton Wright 

Defense going to stop who with who?  No Cory Trice, 1 or 2 starters are going to be announced as academically ineligible once Finals are posted and done this week.   

You have a lame duck staff

Happy they got the Nod to the Citrus, but my friends, buckle up, its gonna be UGLY 

37 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Anyone who is taking this Brees thing is anything other than a  cute little PR ploy is sadly mistaken,  sure he is going to spend 2 weeks with Boilers, then he is off to whatever, now don't get me wrong, glad Drew Brees is an active alum and arguable Purdue most successful NFL player, however, he is NOT going to be grinding it out as a College Offensive Coordinator, why would he???   

Also, Zero chance this game will be close: 

Alaimo and or Allen throwing to who???   No Durham, No Jones, No Milton Wright 

Defense going to stop who with who?  No Cory Trice, 1 or 2 starters are going to be announced as academically ineligible once Finals are posted and done this week.   

You have a lame duck staff

Happy they got the Nod to the Citrus, but my friends, buckle up, its gonna be UGLY 

Lol, well aren't you a big bucket positives.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Lol, well aren't you a big bucket positives.

Haha, my bad pal, look, I wanted nothing but the best for our Boilers, reality is they are truly UP against it, which if fine, take the tail kicking, and move on, I know they will really try hard, but worry once it gets out of hand, the white flag shall be raised

Also, forgot about Burton, he was named the defacto starter.