Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Wk. 1

The long off-season is finally over. Who starts 2022 with a W?

Castle at North ©, 7 pm
Harrison at Reitz ©, 7 pm
Mater Dei at Central ©, 7 pm
Memorial at Jasper ©, 6:30 pm
Vincennes at Bosse ©, 6:30 pm

Wives, dogs and homely step-children are safe on the west side Friday night as "R" boys will roll Harrison at the Bowl and the Wildcats will put a running clock on everyone's former high school. O/U on Blake Herdes TDs is 1.5 and EFHS unsportsmanlike conduct penalties is 3.5.

Lincoln at Bosse should be a good game. A W for either would a great way to start. I'll take Lincoln by 1 TD.

After Reitz, North is probably the next most-hyped team. Lots of talk about multiple D1 prospects in the trenches and whether the Huskies can finish above the elusive .500 mark for the time since <checks notes> 2007?  Castle is undersized and the Huskies aren't. I'll take the North by 2 TDs. O/U on Coach Nero flying chest bumps is 9.5.

Memorial will be without a few key pieces and Jasper is a tough place to get a W early in the regular season. Memorial's strength is the size & experience up front, so I expect Coach Hurley to pound the ball like it's 1988. I'll go with my completely biased instincts and take the Tigers by 7. Sad we won't hear Walt Ferber on the WITZ 104.7 pregame show. 

• Haha 1

MasseyRating lines:

Castle (-6) at North, 62% chance of victory for the Knights

Mater Dei (-2) at Central, 54% chance of victory for the Cats

Vincennes at Bosse (-6), 59% chance of victory of for the Dawgs

Memorial (-6) at Jasper, 62% chance of victory for the Tigers

Reitz (-10) at Harrison, 69% chance of victory for the Panthers

Some interesting lines, let’s see what Harrell thinks

I'll take MD by a comfortable margin. If the Cats can get their offense rolling this one won't be close.

Reitz will also win comfortably. I just don't see Harrison having much going right for them this year.

I'll take VL by a score but I could see that game go either way.

Memorial should take care of business at Jasper, but the Wildcats surprised most of us last year and could again. I think the heavy losses to graduation catch up to them this year and they fall back some in the conference. I know Memorial has a few guys out week 1 but they should still get the job done.

Castle vs. North is my game of the week. Castle lost quite a bit to graduation and their QB not returning, but I believe their defense will still be near the top of the conference. The question is can they score enough to get the win? North also loses a lot of offensive production with the graduation of the quarterback and running back. I expect this to be a low scoring affair. In the end I'll pick the Huskies by a slim margin. I think they score just enough to get the win at home. 

3 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

I'll take MD by a comfortable margin. If the Cats can get their offense rolling this one won't be close.

Reitz will also win comfortably. I just don't see Harrison having much going right for them this year.

I'll take VL by a score but I could see that game go either way.

Memorial should take care of business at Jasper, but the Wildcats surprised most of us last year and could again. I think the heavy losses to graduation catch up to them this year and they fall back some in the conference. I know Memorial has a few guys out week 1 but they should still get the job done.

Castle vs. North is my game of the week. Castle lost quite a bit to graduation and their QB not returning, but I believe their defense will still be near the top of the conference. The question is can they score enough to get the win? North also loses a lot of offensive production with the graduation of the quarterback and running back. I expect this to be a low scoring affair. In the end I'll pick the Huskies by a slim margin. I think they score just enough to get the win at home. 

I agree with all of this but Jasper/Memorial.  Memorial will be missing a number of key players - including one of the best receivers in the area and the only RB on their roster with any varsity experience.

I have a feeling that Jasper will win a 3rd straight against my Tigers.

7 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I agree with all of this but Jasper/Memorial.  Memorial will be missing a number of key players - including one of the best receivers in the area and the only RB on their roster with any varsity experience.

I have a feeling that Jasper will win a 3rd straight against my Tigers.

I think it’s a tossup due to each team having inexperience in some parts of each team and other factors. Did have a look at Jasper’s scrimmage against Heritage Hills and was impressed with the defense

5 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

I think it’s a tossup due to each team having inexperience in some parts of each team and other factors. Did have a look at Jasper’s scrimmage against Heritage Hills and was impressed with the defense

I hope you’re right.  I’m just not sure where our offense will be coming from.  Our passing game wasn’t all that great last year and we’ll be without our best receiver.  Pearce is a capable experienced receiver.  So he’ll have to step up his game in Leo’s absence.

It obviously helped to have two dynamic RBs who could take over a game last season.  But our ground game Friday will be relying on a couple guys playing their first games - and behind 3 new OLs, to boot.

A couple newcomers I’ll be watching are Alex Broshears and Luke Ellspermann.

6 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I hope you’re right.  I’m just not sure where our offense will be coming from.  Our passing game wasn’t all that great last year and we’ll be without our best receiver.  Pearce is a capable experienced receiver.  So he’ll have to step up his game in Leo’s absence.

It obviously helped to have two dynamic RBs who could take over a game last season.  But our ground game Friday will be relying on a couple guys playing their first games - and behind 3 new OLs, to boot.

A couple newcomers I’ll be watching are Alex Broshears and Luke Ellspermann.

Same with Jasper’s Offense, lots of new faces from what I saw, feeling like it will be a defensive type of game from the get go.

Week 1 predictions

Harrison at Reitz 

There is a new feeling around the Bowl these last couple of weeks. Reitz will start off the season with a bang. Panthers by 4 scores.

Castle at North

Castle Offense might be shaken up a bit after taking some loses. However, Castle’s Defense will be solid. Seems like North is also in the same boat too after losing some nice offensive production. Two brand new QBs will go out it tomorrow night. If you like Defense, this might be the game for you, I think the Huskies come out and win by 1 score. 

Mater Dei at Central

The Wildcats are very excited for this season as they are sniffing out that SIAC Crown and another potential State appearance. Central appears to still trying to find their identity. Mater Dei will put on a statement and win by 5 scores. 

Vincennes at Bosse

The Alices roll into Enlow Field hoping to avenge their early season loss against Bosse. But there is a culture shift under Coach Mullen and the Dawgs. I think this will be a close matchup, however, with 17 starters back for the Alices, I think they win by 1 score.

Memorial at Jasper

Probably the most anticipated Week 1 matchup of the season. For the last 2 years the Wildcats have spoiled Memorial’s season openers with convincing wins. Seems like both teams were hit hard by graduation too and new faces on both sides. Memorial might be out with some players, but are solid nevertheless. Jasper is also solid too, especially on the Defense. Who needs a favorite anyways? Calpreps has the O/U at 46. Give me a defensive slugfest Under 46 total points.

Good win for Jasper but this was a lot closer than the score. A few plays go differently and this is a whole different ball game. A healthy memorial with a cutdown on errors is going to be be a beast of a team. 

Jasper is very inexperienced and needs to clean up the kicking game and stop jumping off sides. But I’m pretty excited for this team. 

1 hour ago, combthehair said:

Good win for Jasper but this was a lot closer than the score. A few plays go differently and this is a whole different ball game. A healthy memorial with a cutdown on errors is going to be be a beast of a team. 

Jasper is very inexperienced and needs to clean up the kicking game and stop jumping off sides. But I’m pretty excited for this team. 

While I wished the outcome was different. Jasper does have lots of weapons to use on that Offense. Hopefully we meet in the sectional, cause that will be a fun game!

4 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

While I wished the outcome was different. Jasper does have lots of weapons to use on that Offense. Hopefully we meet in the sectional, cause that will be a fun game!

I won’t put the whole game on him, because our defense was really bad, too.  I would mostly credit that to Jasper’s offense - they were terrific.

But Caleb Ellspermann really had a tough night.

He was pressured a lot, granted.  But he threw a number of pretty bad passes where he had enough time.

5 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

I won’t put the whole game on him, because our defense was really bad, too.  I would mostly credit that to Jasper’s offense - they were terrific.

But Caleb Ellspermann really had a tough night.

He was pressured a lot, granted.  But he threw a number of pretty bad passes where he had enough time.

Positive note, that Brother to Brother connection might be special down the road. Another note is our 4th down conversions had an 80% rate too, which I liked. But there is a lot to learn before this team is 100%. 

Edited by TigerFan20

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

Positive note, that Brother to Brother connection might be special down the road. Another note is our 4th down conversions had an 80% rate too, which I liked. But there is a lot to learn before this team is 100%. 

That isn't a stat to hang our hats on. Like you saying your sister is a good kisser...LOL. The key in the game was us throwing 2 incompletions inside our 10 late in 2nd Q, which gave Jasper the ball with TOs and way too much time. They scored with under 30 secs and seized Big Mo. Our only TD being a a KOR is big concern IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1